Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Did I say "watch out for snakes" yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So uh...that ending.

I guess they wanted to keep things ambiguous but assuming they get renewed, how do they handle it? Jonah didn't actually get eaten? Clone Jonah?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Dude, that was Paul Chapin! You know, bit part guy in pretty much the entire latter half of the series?

Also, favourite meta joke: But the cowboy didn't like him and he shot him in the fa-ace!

Also the guy who played the lead observer originally. Sure, he was sentenced to a life of eternity as a Packers fan, but whatever, he got out of it somehow. Just relax, etc.

Also, I love that the other brain guys don't even have their brains in jars anymore. They're just kind of holding onto the like they're silly putty, squeezing them and trying to figure them out like they've never seen them before.

mangler103 posted:

I liked that too. They also had at least one "Mitchell!" and they said "Watch out for Snakes!" in almost every episode it seems like. I'm sure they'll come up with their own catchphrases as time goes on, but nodding to the old series is a good move.

It sort of feels like they were already developing them: a whole lot of episodes have the "Dear Trip Advisor/yelp" joke, to the point where in the last episode, one of them (Crow, I think?) says "Boy, that never gets old." It does frequently work really well, too, with the conclusion of the joke always being something like "Two stars!" after "Half my party was murdered" or "Had to do battle with a dinosaur."

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.
"And is Slappy Xbox compatible? Of course he is! He's Slappy!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The "Three stars" one at the end of Avalanche caught me perfectly to chuckle uncontrollably for the next 30 seconds. I think it was because they went longer than you'd have assumed, not just Jonah and the bots each doing one, but Gypsy got one off too, and then they doubled back.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

So uh...that ending.

I guess they wanted to keep things ambiguous but assuming they get renewed, how do they handle it? Jonah didn't actually get eaten? Clone Jonah?

Clone Jonah, maybe the metal Reptillicus was actually made by Kinga to have an arc plot to drive 'water cooler moments' so it was never intended to kill him and just sucked him back up to the SoL. Plus the end credits show Jonah (or someone) in a spacesuit outside the ship

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Gaz-L posted:

A surprising number of people have Stockholm Syndrome for Dave Coulier et al. I almost wonder if that's why The Real Ghostbusters finally made it on there.

Dave Coulier was a pretender to the throne. Lorenzo Music supremacy for lyfe, yo.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Dave Coulier was a pretender to the throne. Lorenzo Music supremacy for lyfe, yo.

B-but he was mean to S-Slimer, the real star of the show! And Janine's glasses were so POINTY and SCARY! (Actual notes give to the production team of Real Ghostbusters, as well as Bill Murray being the one who suggested Coulier)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The metal Reptilicus is going to launch him into space, and he'll finally get to try out that space suit he's been building to do that space walk with. The bots will then rescue him, and he'll celebrate, only to remember that he's trapped on the satellite again.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Dude, that was Paul Chapin! You know, bit part guy in pretty much the entire latter half of the series?

Also, favourite meta joke: But the cowboy didn't like him and he shot him in the fa-ace!

I lolled at that one for sure

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

Clone Jonah, maybe the metal Reptillicus was actually made by Kinga to have an arc plot to drive 'water cooler moments' so it was never intended to kill him and just sucked him back up to the SoL. Plus the end credits show Jonah (or someone) in a spacesuit outside the ship

I totally didn't even put two and two together with that last bit. Good call.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I'm just finishing Beast of Hollow Mountain and I'm wondering if the host segments are really short this season or if I'm just remembering the old host segments incorrectly?

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

2DCAT posted:

As the season progresses, they seem to fix some of the joke pacing issues. It really felt like they were trying to fill every second of silence with a joke in the first couple of episodes.

Was the season written and shot in sequence? I doubt it but I guess it's possible. I think it is more likely that you just got used to the faster pace as the season wore on.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

8one6 posted:

I'm just finishing Beast of Hollow Mountain and I'm wondering if the host segments are really short this season or if I'm just remembering the old host segments incorrectly?

The host segments are really short.

It's one thing that I will ding S11 on - you don't really get a sense of how Jonah and the bots are with each other. Mostly they seem to treat him like Mike but it just feels kind of sterile, and they're there just to do the jokes and riffs. On the other hand, it's just their first season together; I barely remember season one of the old series with Joel, and not much of the start of Mike's run other than the skit where they're training him and quizzing him on riffs.

Just noticed this from a few days ago - the head writer of the reboot's top 10 list of favorite old episodes. I'll just spoil it now and say King Dinosaur was his favorite (not the best MST3K episode, just his favorite!) and he, like most good people, thought the Joey the Lemur sketch was hysterical, and I approve of his choice.

https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/best-mst3k-episodes-ranked-netflix

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

8one6 posted:

It certainly feels that way to me as well. I also remembered more interaction with the Mads.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
The host segments are definitely shorter. As for a running gag, Cry Wilderness gave us a simple, but effective one.

BANG.

edit: I'm finally watching the Christmas ep, I'm getting weirded out like I did with Cry Wilderness.

It's like if Phoenix Wright was defending Santa Claus (and from what little I know of that franchise, that may very well have happened)

Compendium fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 18, 2017

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Joel: Father figure
Mike: Dopey older brother
Jonah: Hip cousin you can't wait to visit

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I feel like Eliot Kalan enjoyed playing perverts too much this season. Not that both skits weren't funny, but they bordered on bluer than MST's ever really gotten.

E: Jonah comes off as a well-meaning uncle who insists on fixing the squeaky hinge on your front gate whether you want him to or not, hence his constant attempts to build new bots to 'help'.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ensign_Ricky posted:

He's the cousin who has an N64 and Golden Eye, and because there's 4 of you, just watches you guys play. He's just that cool.

He's also the cousin who beats the water temple for you every time you get to that point, because he loves hanging out.

Then gets super embarassed when you find his only playboy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

I know!

And holy poo poo Jonah Rey is like 2x as tall as Felicia Day.

Who was the Head Observer? Sounded a lot like Iggy Pop.

In the stuff with the Mads you can see that Felicia Day is as tall as Patton and that's not very tall.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
#NEVER SHOULDA TAMPERED IN GOD'S DOMAIN!#
#MOOOOON FOURTEEN!#

I think that was the best host segment. Or maybe the one with Tom and Crow in the Mexican mask things from Beast Of Hollow Mountain.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

What the hell was Beast of Hollowed Mountains? What cocaine always a hell of a drug or something? Why did THAT movie suddenly need a Dinosaur?

Edit: Why does it seem like giant monster movies are the easiest types of films to gently caress up like this?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

What the hell was Beast of Hollowed Mountains? What cocaine always a hell of a drug or something? Why did THAT movie suddenly need a Dinosaur?

I assume the screenwriter got 80% through his potboiler western and then the studio head called and demanded some of those giant lizards that the kids are into these days!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

InfiniteZero posted:

Was the season written and shot in sequence? I doubt it but I guess it's possible. I think it is more likely that you just got used to the faster pace as the season wore on.

It wasn't.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

He's described himself as the annoying next-door neighbor that really wants to get in on the fun, but I think hip cousin you can't wait to visit sounds more accurate.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

haahah

"bigfoot-believers use that staircase"

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

BANG

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Moon 14 Medizoic Ranch jingles from Land that Time forgot is the best host segment so far.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

InfiniteZero posted:

The riff pacing definitely improves after episode 3 or so.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I just

MAN

Where the gently caress did they even find Cry Wilderness

Where was that gem hiding

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

The riff pacing definitely improves after episode 3 or so.

It's a perception. They really didn't film in sequence, it apparently says so in the backer FAQ.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Burkion posted:

I just

MAN

Where the gently caress did they even find Cry Wilderness

Where was that gem hiding

My guess is the Wal-Mart bargain bin in Nebraska. Probably in one of those 10 family movies on two disks packs.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I thought Cry Wilderness was a ripoff of Harry and the Hendersons, but it turns out it came out a few months before Harry and the Hendersons. Sooo I guess it's one of those Gordy/Babe situations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I thought it was another Phillip Yordan who wrote Cry Wilderness. Not sure how he wrote that piece of poo poo after writing stuff like Johnny Guitar, The Man from Laramie, and El Cid. :psyduck:

Maybe he wrote it, but the director left it on the roof of his car and just had to go by memory.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I like the writing on this but I'm really not a fan of the actors, especially the bad impressions of Tom and Crow that they fall in and out of all the time, instead of just doing their own thing.

Also the constant singing that's so far out of tune/rhythm I can't tell what they're talking about half the time without being already familiar with the words.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

It makes sense that they didn't film in sequence. Reptilicus was fast, but it had some manic editing and fast riffs were hilarious. Then some slow down and it's great.

The wizards of the lost Kingdoms felt so packed, it felt like there was almost no breaks in dialogue.

I'm going to join in on the simulwatch thread and go through the season again at a slower pace with a bunch of goons.

Ps. Man I'm still stoked that it's back and I've seen nothing but good press! I loved the season over all and will be there for more!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I liked the reveal halfway through the season of how Kinga and Max were just stealing jokes for their part of the Invention Exchange. The way they didn't do one in the first episode now makes sense.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Whoever does Growler is a perfect Henson emulator. It's kind of scary.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jack Gladney posted:

He sounds more like Rowlf than whoever is doing Rowlf now.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

One criticism on Cry Wilderness..

It's a nitpick, but they made up Bill as Brain Guy from Season 8 instead of his more "albino" look from 9 and 10. :argh:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jack Gladney posted:

They did hire Henson puppeteers (muppeteers?) I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Cry Wilderness is a strange, strange nugget of a film.