Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Prism posted:

Is Dire Heal good then? I got a copy but assumed it was gimmicky and not worth it without trying it much. But I often run Raines, so I could use it if it was worth it and didn't need weakness hits from something else.

It deals decent damage without doom from momento mori, and is a self heal. It's just not as good as dark zone + doom. Dark zone + doom is stronger than the chain black magics, at 13.5x vs 11.4x. Dire heal's modifier is 10.4x. so depending on what you need, it's not good or is pretty great. Especially of you only have 1 ability slot to work with for mission requirements.

Keep in mind that needing doom isn't bad, as momento mori is a self 30% mag buff and kuja's last rm grants 60s of doom at battle start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

uno momento, it's memento mori

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Sprite141 posted:

It deals decent damage without doom from momento mori, and is a self heal. It's just not as good as dark zone + doom. Dark zone + doom is stronger than the chain black magics, at 13.5x vs 11.4x. Dire heal's modifier is 10.4x. so depending on what you need, it's not good or is pretty great. Especially of you only have 1 ability slot to work with for mission requirements.

Keep in mind that needing doom isn't bad, as momento mori is a self 30% mag buff and kuja's last rm grants 60s of doom at battle start.

I don't have Dark Zone (or any of the Chain X black magics, for that matter) so it sounds like it gets to slide in for now.

I'm aware Memento Mori's pretty good, though! As I said, I use Raines, who usually carries it; I have a phys team plus him and a healer, so he has to be as self-sufficient as possible.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

In order:
[list][*]Lightning Dive and/or Dragoon Jump are great for DPS, but work better if you have no dragoon BSBs or Kain BSB; Freya and Luneth prefer Sky High or their own burst commands. Sky Grinder isn't even classed as a jump attack, skip it unless you really need AoE damage.
Note: Freya's BSB doesn't provide Enwind. If you don't have her Enwind SSB, and weakness and elemental boost equipment/RM's aren't a factor, Lightning Dive is a perfectly acceptable substitute for her.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Nihilarian posted:

Note: Freya's BSB doesn't provide Enwind. If you don't have her Enwind SSB, and weakness and elemental boost equipment/RM's aren't a factor, Lightning Dive is a perfectly acceptable substitute for her.

I can't quite making out what you're saying, but weakness and elemental boosts are always a factor. Sky high and lightning dive do comparable damage. If the boss is weak to wind or you have her wind+ spear, that sure as poo poo out damages lightning dive. Unless it's weak to lightning as well.

But also, appart from hitting a weakness with the 3* dragoon junps, she only has wrath to build sb guage. Wrath has a 5% attack buff added to it, which replaces the 50% buff from shout. Unless you can stack some other attack boosts, like atk+mag and atk+def, you wouldn't want to use it. But if she's a high level and with burst + other buffs she's hitting the soft cap, then yeah use it.

Edit: Both lightning dive and dragoon jump are great skills, don't feel obligated to use sky high if you don't have a dragoon with en-wind. Dragoon jump is only for non-elemental damage when lightning is resisted or whatever. Really I have it at r3 from before lightning dive was released, not too sure if it's worth honing now, but it isn't worth shattering in my case.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Sprite141 posted:

I can't quite making out what you're saying, but weakness and elemental boosts are always a factor. Sky high and lightning dive do comparable damage. If the boss is weak to wind or you have her wind+ spear, that sure as poo poo out damages lightning dive. Unless it's weak to lightning as well.

But also, appart from hitting a weakness with the 3* dragoon junps, she only has wrath to build sb guage. Wrath has a 5% attack buff added to it, which replaces the 50% buff from shout. Unless you can stack some other attack boosts, like atk+mag and atk+def, you wouldn't want to use it. But if she's a high level and with burst + other buffs she's hitting the soft cap, then yeah use it.

Edit: Both lightning dive and dragoon jump are great skills, don't feel obligated to use sky high if you don't have a dragoon with en-wind. Dragoon jump is only for non-elemental damage when lightning is resisted or whatever. Really I have it at r3 from before lightning dive was released, not too sure if it's worth honing now, but it isn't worth shattering in my case.

Does her BSB spear give +wind? I don't know, as I don't have it. :shobon:

I think what Nihil was saying is that if you don't have a boost and the boss takes neutral damage from either, the two are comparable and Lightning Dive is a hell of a lot easier to hone.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Edge and Yuffie easily beat him, and he more or less ties with Fujin. Having +damage is way more important than higher MAG as a Ninja.

This. And note that in 5 months when we get the Umaro/Gogo event for FF6, Shadow gets his Legend Dive which puts him very solidly in #1 for Best Ninja (pending Yuffie's LD), overtaking Edge by virtue of having a much better general Ninja Legend Dive (Edge's is focused on water damage which is great for his USB but not stellar for general ninja purposes).

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
Jesus gently caress the 180. Make sure you have lightning resist accessories on everyone, and then pray to god your ATB bars start off full on your mitigators, if not then reload. Everyone getting AOE'd twice in a row is dumb. Can't even really effectively blitz him down before he starts using Ultimate Lightning, felt like it triggered around 60% which was way higher than I was expecting. Ended up clearing it with Vaan and Agrias doing debuff duties with Ark Blast and Cleansing Strike, and Luneth being the damage dealer with his BSB.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Sprite141 posted:

"if you don't have or aren't using +wind equipment/RMs on her, and the enemy isn't weak to wind, there's no reason to prioritize Sky High over Lightning Dive". Better?

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Nihilarian posted:

"if you don't have or aren't using +wind equipment/RMs on her, and the enemy isn't weak to wind, there's no reason to prioritize Sky High over Lightning Dive". Better?

Yeah, that way actually makes sense.

KataraniSword posted:

Does her BSB spear give +wind? I don't know, as I don't have it. :shobon:

Her ssb one does! No idea about the bsb one though. I also don't know how viable it is to have it on her with her en-wind, when I have no way to boost sb guage and a limited hone number. I mean, unless I use wrath+entrust on another dude?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Shock Trooper posted:

Jesus gently caress the 180. Make sure you have lightning resist accessories on everyone, and then pray to god your ATB bars start off full on your mitigators, if not then reload. Everyone getting AOE'd twice in a row is dumb. Can't even really effectively blitz him down before he starts using Ultimate Lightning, felt like it triggered around 60% which was way higher than I was expecting. Ended up clearing it with Vaan and Agrias doing debuff duties with Ark Blast and Cleansing Strike, and Luneth being the damage dealer with his BSB.

If you thought that version of Garuda was bad, wait until Global gets the Rebirth version (should be during the June Festival). Same bullshit, higher stats.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Shock Trooper posted:

If you don't have enough Lightning Resist to go around, Gravity Resist makes a good second option; it doesn't help with the initial burstdown, but it stops (non-Ultimate) Lightning from being an issue.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Sprite141 posted:

when I have no way to boost sb guage
Freya can Wrath if you want

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Nihilarian posted:

Freya can Wrath if you want

I used to do this with guys, but as it turns out wrath overwrites shout's 50% atk boost with a 5% atk boost.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Sprite141 posted:

I used to do this with guys, but as it turns out wrath overwrites shout's 50% atk boost with a 5% atk boost.

Even better! It's a 3% atk boost

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
And that is why people use Wrath with mages when they can.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Holy poo poo I wish I'd known that sooner

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

At the moment I'm torn on where to pull next. Currently my weaker realms are 1, 3, 10, and 11. Of course FF1 doesn't really matter for this, but regardless I'm still choosing between three decent choices:

• For FF3, I have OK's SSB sword/Luneth's BSB spear/Arc's first SSB staff (Shellga, party Regen, magic blink)/Desch's SSB gauntlets. I should note that I have completed all CMs for FF3 currently available.
  • For FF10, I have a generic 5* dagger/generic 5* staff (with a small shared medica)/Wakka's All-Rounder/Braska's SSB robe. Nearly everything here is dated.
  • For FF11, I have Shantotto's BSB bracers. But that said I dunno how often FF11 will show up in events.

I should note that I do have Wall/Shout/three flavors of faithga/a bunch of SSB medicas. As of yet I have no BSB medica, nor do I have a +ATK/+MAG effect that isn't (edit) either the weirdly gimped Selfless Spirit or instead Deployment Tactics which is overshadowed by Alphinaud's BSB.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 17, 2017

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
wrath is a really stupid ability simply because of that marginal attack buff

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Wrath is a trap ability that is coincidentally amazing on any mages that can use it

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
I use wrath to amazing potential on both sazh (atk 50% ssb and atk/mag bsb), gordon (reverse wall and atk/mag/blink) and fran (wall break, reverse wall and hyperbreak bsb). It all depends on what you have.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Clarification: Wrath is great on units who don't rely on big ATK numbers for their utility. Having high attack isn't at all important for Support units or mages, and if you're spamming a utility SB you don't need those buffed numbers too much either.

If you're a physical DPS, though, Wrath is a horrible idea.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Sprite141 posted:

fran (wall break, reverse wall and hyperbreak bsb)

Yeah, Fran can't life siphon, so Wrath seems pretty important on her even if it costs her a shout ATK buff (I figure you're mostly not bringing her for her DPS anyways)

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Theoretically Wrath is fine if you do it before/between shouts. That can be annoying to time though. It's also fine if you're not bringing pure attack buffs, like in mixed teams.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Wrath is fine so long as you aren't using Shout (or equivalent) basically; it's really common these days, for me at least, even on a straight physical team, to run only hybrid buffs, whether just because they all stack and I'd rather use my support a lot on a Full Breakdown burst, or because of CM reasons, or whatever.

It's just another thing to be aware of, it doesn't make Wrath a terrifying awful trap.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

It kinda does cuz I was running it on Minfilia and OK and wondering why their damage was so loving bad

I had no idea it buffed atk and overwrote Shout.

I think I like Minfilia more now though :v:

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

victrix posted:

It kinda does cuz I was running it on Minfilia and OK and wondering why their damage was so loving bad

Why were you using Wrath when Minfilia can carry Lifesiphon out of the box? :confuoot:

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

Zurai posted:

If you thought that version of Garuda was bad, wait until Global gets the Rebirth version (should be during the June Festival). Same bullshit, higher stats.

By then I'll have Cid at level 99 and I'll just tell Garuda to eat it. Cid was doing 8000 damage a hit at level 80 on his Burst entry, and he does ten or eleven hits on that entry. And then he gets five hits on his CMD1. If you have Cid and Luneth's burst you can probably knock him out in a few turns. I really enjoyed that fight.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

victrix posted:

OK's damage was bad because you used command 1 instead of command 2!

Minfilia's damage was bad because you didn't use Lifesiphon!!!!

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

MikeSevigny posted:

By then I'll have Cid at level 99 and I'll just tell Garuda to eat it. Cid was doing 8000 damage a hit at level 80 on his Burst entry, and he does ten or eleven hits on that entry. And then he gets five hits on his CMD1. If you have Cid and Luneth's burst you can probably knock him out in a few turns. I really enjoyed that fight.

Actually, we'll have Cloud USB at that point, so you can just run Cloud USB RW on Luneth with BSB and obliterate Garuda in no time flat.

Garuda and Kuja are both still complete assholes in the Rebirth fights though, and Despair Sephiroth is aptly named.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Zurai posted:

Actually, we'll have Cloud USB at that point, so you can just run Cloud USB RW on Luneth with BSB and obliterate Garuda in no time flat.

Garuda and Kuja are both still complete assholes in the Rebirth fights though, and Despair Sephiroth is aptly named.

Isn't Despair Sephiroth the second 'bragging rights' boss after Nemesis, the one where the game actually times you for speedrun purposes?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

LornMarkus posted:

Why were you using Wrath when Minfilia can carry Lifesiphon out of the box? :confuoot:

To be fair, Wrath does generate significantly more SB gauge than Lifesiphon does.

But yeah, in most cases Lifesiphon is the more universally usable option if a character has access to both.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

Isn't Despair Sephiroth the second 'bragging rights' boss after Nemesis, the one where the game actually times you for speedrun purposes?

Yes, it's the first speed run boss, but it has actual rewards (which pissed me off in Japan). You get a 6 star accessory and orbs and poo poo out of the fight, not pure gold like Nemesis.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

victrix posted:

it's in the ability description

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Nihilarian posted:

it's in the ability description

In fairness, if someone made it a while ago, it can be easy to forget. When someone mentions it, it's nearly always regarding soul break gauge, small attack up is a pretty subtle effect most people won't notice if using it with non-physical DPS, and the way it's worded in the description doesn't sound like a penalty.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I'm wondering why it was designed like that. It really feels like it exists to gently caress physical characters and only benefit mages with 4* support.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

I'm wondering why it was designed like that. It really feels like it exists to gently caress physical characters and only benefit mages with 4* support.

IIRC Boostga wasn't a thing when Wrath came out

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wrath was available at launch, so yeah.

Also Wrath is totally fine if, as mentioned, you don't rely on pure Attack boosts for your Attack boost needs. Onion BSB, Hand of the Emperor-style effects, etc all happily stack with Wrath.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

how do the witch abilities we're getting in the XI event compare to Chain spells from the Black Magic school?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Potency-wise, the 5* Witch skills aren't as strong as the 4* -ja line.

To compare, it's 11.8x for the Chain spells (except Chain Biora which is 11.7x, and for completeness' sake 13.5x for Dark Zone under Doom), 9.0x for -ja black magic, 8.1x for the 5* Witch spells (which are slow cast- not quite as slow as Full Charge but like a second slower than normal actions), and 5.2x for the 4* Witch spells (which also give Quick Magical Cast 1).

The main function of the 5* Witch spells are really adding extra elemental hits onto a Chain- they have 6 hits opposed to the 2 hits of black magic. The 4* can be a little more general purpose in adding SB faster for witches lacking Wrath.

School could use a lot more love, though; they haven't had any new abilities since this XI event.

• Locked thread