Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Maybe Phoebe is a big Nine Inch Nails fan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
Zits

I'm kind of impressed by how well Jeremy's outfit ages, by that I mean it's reasonable to assume a teenager in 2017 would be wearing something similar. Except for the shoes. No one wears that poo poo anymore.

Reply All

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jeans, black t-shirt, and plaid overshirt is one of those legitimately timeless things that will never go completely out of style, though it might change subtly with time.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Darthemed posted:

Calvin and Hobbes

This is my all-time favorite Sunday Calvin & Hobbes. I laughed so hard and long the first time I read it I scared my parents.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
The recurring Big Shoes Joke in Zits has never made any sense to me. Like the comic was written by a fairly competent alien who has never seen a teenager before, but somebody stuck "big shoes" to the end of the list of topics as a joke.

"Teens, am i right? With their big appetites!" (sure) "And sometimes they're ungrateful" (uh huh) "And they hate school!" (ok) "And of course, who could forget their enormous shoes" (what the gently caress?)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
It made more sense in the '90s.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I still think it kinda works okay in the sense that adolescence isn't necessarily a proportional process.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

^ Yep

I always took it to be an exaggeration of how teens grow in to their feet like puppies do. Jeremy is kind of too old for that tho since he has a car and everything now that I type it out.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Darthemed posted:

Calvin and Hobbes

sigh.

Dream of the Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

And He Did. (June, 1916)

Outbursts of Everett True (September, 1916)

Doings of the Duffs. (July, 1918, click for big)

The Gay Thirties (July, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (July, 1940, click for big)

Mopsy (December, 1940)

Tweedy (November, 1956, click for big)

Archie (December, 1955, click for big)

Feiffer (1972, click for big)

Andy Capp (May, 1971, click for big)

Wee Pals (October, 1971, click for big)

Dick Tracy (August, 2001, click for big)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

...and the pitch! posted:

^ Yep

I always took it to be an exaggeration of how teens grow in to their feet like puppies do. Jeremy is kind of too old for that tho since he has a car and everything now that I type it out.

He's still only supposed to be 16. Again, puberty isn't proportional nor does it happen at the same time for everyone. It still mostly works.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Baldo

Wizard of Id

Big Nate

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set wants what's due.

Working Daze defies an easy summary.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix can mean two things.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Classic Dinette Set wants what's due.

I have really come around on the Dinette Set. Thanks for posting these. It used to be "that horribly drawn comic" but I'm starting to really appreciate the humor. That Union Carbide Air Freshener joke!

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

...and the pitch! posted:

I have really come around on the Dinette Set. Thanks for posting these. It used to be "that horribly drawn comic" but I'm starting to really appreciate the humor. That Union Carbide Air Freshener joke!

I've come around too actually. Larson's contempt for midwest suburbanites is palpable. Wikipedia tells me before this comic got it's current name it was originally called Suburban Torture.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

computer angel posted:

I've come around too actually. Larson's contempt for midwest suburbanites is palpable. Wikipedia tells me before this comic got it's current name it was originally called Suburban Torture.
As someone who grew up in midwest suburbia, we've earned every ounce of that contempt.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Slammy posted:

Dick Tracy (August, 2001, click for big)

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
A Koan: Would the people in Dinette Set like Pluggers, and would the people in Pluggers like the Dinette Set?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (February 17, 1930)

Peanuts (March 29 and April 27, 1970)

(Second appearance of the Easter Beagle, although nobody's called him that yet.)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (June 25-26, 1930)

Thimble Theater (November 4, 1930)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Thimble Theater; or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bullets.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

I'm amazed this is still happening.

The Amazing Spider-Man

This, too.

Sally Forth

Hil, it's middle school. Dancing will never be easier for you than it is now, so take advantage. You put your hands on his shoulders. He puts his hands somewhere in the neighborhood of your hips. You sway back and forth in a circle, stiff as a pair of Frankensteins. At no point do you have less than a foot and a half of space between you. There, you are dancing.

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tracksuit

This is a riff on the fable of The Wolf and the Stork.

I thought the joke was pretty visually obvious but then I can read it so...

Mother From Another Country

I always wondered how that happens.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I don't get the wolf stork thing?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Is the fable of the wolf and the stork one I should know already?

Edit: Here it is, copy/pasted from some weird anime blog. I think I have heard it, but I only vaguely remember it:

quote:

A long time ago, the wolf and the stork were friends. One day, the wolf asked the stork to come to his house to eat. When the stork arrived at the wolf’s house, The wolf put two bowls of soup on the table.

The wolf ate his bowl of soup so quickly. When he finished, he asked the stork, “did you like my soup?.” But the stork was angry because he couldn’t eat the soup. His beak was too long! When the stork went home, he was still hungry. The wolf laughed and laughed.

Then, the stork had an idea. He asked the wolf to come to dinner. He filled two tall pitchers with good soup. They began to eat. When the stork finished eating, he asked the wolf if he wanted more to eat. But the wolf was angry. His mouth was so big that he couldn’t get it into the pitcher. The wolf went home hungry and the stork laughed and laughed.

The wolf and stork have never been friends ever since.

The moral massages : every bad action that will result in a bad anyway.

I still don't get that comic, though.

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 18, 2017

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The stork appears to be acting magnanimous by serving the wolf food it can actually eat, but actually the whole invitation was just an excuse to show off its sweet pad. Which is very wide a spacious, much like the wolf's plate, yet unlike the wolf's house. How ironic.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 18, 2017

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Yeah, that didn't really come across without the text and context.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

Slylock Fox and Comics for Kids

Understanding Chaos

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Archyduke posted:

A Koan: Would the people in Dinette Set like Pluggers, and would the people in Pluggers like the Dinette Set?
Of course not; for each, the others wouldn't be from 'round here.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Darthemed posted:

Of course not; for each, the others wouldn't be from 'round here.

I'm not sure the Dinette Set even like each other.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Dustin

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

There is probably an easier way than that for a billionaire to sneak back into the country.

Pibgorn

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Where do women belong, Rick Detorie?

That's easy, little one. They belong at home with their kids. If they work or leave the kids to someone else, they'll grow up spoiled rotten.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
There's a difference between giving a moment of your time to your child and just blowing them off.

If you don't have time for your kids, maybe don't have kids?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Mandrake

Fingerpori

-Are pipes still clogged?
-I called a sewer opener
-Meow

Viemärin = Sewer's
Aukaisija = Opener
Viemäri = Sewer
Naukaisija = Meower

Kennel fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Apr 18, 2017

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
Har har, the poor orphan is lazy, good comic

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (Feb. 28, 1995)

Garfield Classic (Feb. 28, 1985)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

Har har, the poor orphan is lazy, good comic
He's poor because he's lazy #justworld #boomertruths

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kennel posted:

Fingerpori

-Are pipes still clogged?
-I called a sewer opener
-Meow

Viemärin = Sewer's
Aukaisija = Opener
Viemäri = Sewer
Naukaisija = Meower
Okay I get the pun, but what is a "Sewer Opener" supposed to do?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I assume the English equivalent would be a Drain Cleaner, who come along to your place with a plumber's snake or pressure washer to scrape the sides of the pipes clean.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Now it's her turn to have a stroke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

• Locked thread