Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Raxivace posted:

I will say that 2-3 was where I started noticing "The killer is the last person you meet in the case!" pattern that these games seem to pull most of the time.

Ironically I can't remember if that actually holds for 4-3, but man gently caress 4-3 anyways.

I never noticed that pattern until it was pointed out in this thread during the last game and now im really sad and hope I forget it when the next one comes out :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

the_american_dream posted:

I never noticed that pattern until it was pointed out in this thread during the last game and now im really sad and hope I forget it when the next one comes out :ohdear:

It was more apparent in Spirit of Justice because each trial usually had three unique characters: The defendant, the witness wot didn't do it, and the witness wot did do it. Mostly because there was no one trial that lasted an entire two days outside the DLC. The 2-day trials in the main game were really just two separate trials in one episode.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
It's more about taking down the smug prick and less about figuring out who the smug prick is, and it honestly makes the times where it's a genuine spoiler a lot more exciting

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, it's been that way from the beginning, but it's nice to have doubt about the culprit every once in a while. Like, the culprit of 5-3 is obvious off the bat, but the trial throws enough curveballs at you that it throws you off your game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Complaining that it's easy to spot the real guilty party straight off is like complaining that Columbo shows you the murderer at the start.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't want it to sound like I'm complaining about that, I know the series has always been more concerned with the howdunit than the whodunit. If I would broker any complaint, it's that I wanted more cool characters in SoJ!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

there was a character poll featured in the japanese 15th anniversary stream and the results will surely be the subject of opinions

quote:

15: Trucy Wright
14: Kristoph Gavin
13: Maya Fey
12: Sherlock Holmes
11: Barok Van Zieks
10: Athena Cykes
9: Ryūnosuke Naruhodō
8: Nahyuta Sahdmadhi
7: Simon Blackquill
6: Phoenix Wright
5: Kazuma Asōgi
4: Miles Edgeworth
3: Klavier Gavin
2: Apollo Justice
1: Bobby Fulbright.

https://turnaboutcadenza.tumblr.com/post/159678954270/ace-attorney-popularity-poll-2017-top20

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Who actually likes Klavier?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Who's Kazuma again

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

Who's Kazuma again

Dai Gyakuten Saiban character

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
is ryunosuke naruhodo phoenix wright's illegitimate son with the crazy girl's twin sister

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

he's his grandpa or great-grandpa that was buds with sherlock holmes

e: he also has a cousin now
but not really lol

Motto fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 18, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Motto posted:

there was a character poll featured in the japanese 15th anniversary stream and the results will surely be the subject of opinions

https://turnaboutcadenza.tumblr.com/post/159678954270/ace-attorney-popularity-poll-2017-top20

Gumshoe's not even on that list, Klavier is number 3, and Fulbright is number one? What the heck is going on in Japan.

Oh what, Nahyuta made the cut? Blech.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Motto posted:

That's the oddest spelling of Ema Skye I've ever seen in first

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Gumshoe's not even on that list, Klavier is number 3, and Fulbright is number one? What the heck is going on in Japan.

Oh what, Nahyuta made the cut? Blech.

When in doubt the answer is fujoshi

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Motto posted:

I'm glad Athena made the top 10.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

That's the oddest spelling of Ema Skye I've ever seen in first

As usual, Japanese popularity polls are entirely wrong.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

chumbler posted:

As usual popularity polls are entirely wrong.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

TheKingofSprings posted:

When in doubt the answer is fujoshi

Trolls, or...?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I dunno, I really liked Bobby Fulbright. Not "#1 character in the entire series" liked him, but dealing with him was consistently amusing. Sorta surprising Gumshoe didn't make the cut, though. He's exactly the kind of sad sack I'd expect fans to latch onto.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

Who's Kazuma again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXOIZZyHJw4

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

quote:

sad sack

I dunno if I'd call Gumshoe a sad sack. Down on his luck, maybe, but he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who lets anything get him down.

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
I'm on Case 2 of SoJ.

I don't think there has been this hostile an opening in an AA game before? There is normally some verbal bashing from the opposition but this time the Case 1 crowd and prosecutor are actually calling for your death. And in Case 2, the prosecutor just verbally assaults you at the start. If the game's objective is to make you think 'wow, gently caress all these guys and their stupid kingdom' - mission accomplished! Makes slapping down the contradicting evidence all the more satisfying.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
SoJ probably has the most intense first case out of all the games.

If you lose, you fuckin die.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I think T&T's first case has that beat: if you lose, the series never happen.

:haw:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

SoJ probably has the most intense first case out of all the games.

If you lose, you fuckin die.

It has the most intense stakes but it's not actually a very intense case itself, that goes to AAI2 or AA4.

E: AA3 has a solid one too

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kore_Fero posted:

I'm on Case 2 of SoJ.

I don't think there has been this hostile an opening in an AA game before? There is normally some verbal bashing from the opposition but this time the Case 1 crowd and prosecutor are actually calling for your death. And in Case 2, the prosecutor just verbally assaults you at the start. If the game's objective is to make you think 'wow, gently caress all these guys and their stupid kingdom' - mission accomplished! Makes slapping down the contradicting evidence all the more satisfying.

It woulda been kinda great if the endgame was about an actual violent revolution or invasion from another country that just destroys this country's lovely culture permanently, instead of the feelgood "they were just misguided and the revolution was bloodless and just restored the rightful ruler" one we got.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

It woulda been kinda great if the endgame was about an actual violent revolution or invasion from another country that just destroys this country's lovely culture permanently, instead of the feelgood "they were just misguided and the revolution was bloodless and just restored the rightful ruler" one we got.

Wasn't it? Most of the poo poo that went on was in the last 20-25 years and the people responsible are dead and likely awaiting execution respectively

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
lovely laws or not, I don't think colonizing a country should ever be presented as a good thing. Just make it so Dhurke's doesn't want to fight, but knows he has to.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

Wasn't it? Most of the poo poo that went on was in the last 20-25 years and the people responsible are dead and likely awaiting execution respectively

Not enough royal guards beaten in the streets and temples smashed.

Momomo posted:

lovely laws or not, I don't think colonizing a country should ever be presented as a good thing. Just make it so Dhurke's doesn't want to fight, but knows he has to.

Funny, I feel the same way about monarchies, and yet here we are.

Also obviously I'm being a bit facetious.

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
Just finished SoJ Case 3 :D WoW gently caress all these guys! Everyone except Albhi and this dog are just complete dicks. You just beat double murder charges that were setup by Maya's supposedly 'friendly' host family and the wife was happy enough to sit on the side and watch it happen. After that case Phoenix and Maya should be on the first flight to Get the gently caress Out. You are in the North Korea of the legal system. Get out! but I guess we are staying here so that we can bring down the royal family or something. I mean I guess would be worth it if any characters were fun (the closest is Daz Arbal, but everyone is an rear end so far).

The Logic system moments are the best parts of their respective cases. The Insight evidence so far just feels meh. For some, I knew the line of thinking that the game was hinting at but trying to select the correct combination of things was a pain and guesswork.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Hey guys I talked about Dual Destinies in my Top 50 thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3815552&pagenumber=2#post471727584

Spoilers: it's good!

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
It is indeed good but drat they could have shut up about "the dark age of law".

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

God no I feel old

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Waffleman_ posted:

God no I feel old

Oh jesus that was from a decade ago wasn't it. God Phoenix Wright came out in the US 12 years ago.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I am currently blowing away as dust in the wind.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i'm as old as phoenix now as he was in his debut T&T

hosed up

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

When I came into the series in early 2008 (Jesus christ), there were already a million memes about it, the Objection generator was already a thing etc. It's hard for me to imagine like, playing 1-1 in a context before all of that stuff existed- makes me wish I knew more about the early history of the franchise's introduction into the US and such.

I'm still a little surprised the first game even was localized at all tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well, it did take 5 years to do so.

And man, I was just remembering Phoenix Wrong videos recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYPyOIaLdTU

THE FIRST PHOENIX WRIGHT GAME CAME OUT IN THE US BEFORE YOUTUBE EXISTED