Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
None of the star wars is good you fools

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

You know what is good? The Evil Dead movies.

They should do a re:view or better yet a commentary track for one of them (or the entire series like one for Alien, would prefer it to be synched up to Evil Dead 2 or Army of Darkness personally).

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Apr 18, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
They need to do a big budget live action Street Sharks movie

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

You know what's weird about all those 80s/90s (teenage) animals as some sort of cool thing? Like Swat Cats, Street Sharks, Biker Mice, Ninja Turtles, all that stuff. It's that all of them, far as I can remember had a type of fast food that they were obsessed with, Biker Mice ate hot dogs, Ninja Turtles ate pizzas, Street Sharks had one guy who was obsessed with Salsa which was kind of weird. Don't remember if Swat Cats ate anything like that but I am gonna guess they did.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Randarkman posted:

You know what's weird about all those 80s/90s (teenage) animals as some sort of cool thing? Like Swat Cats, Street Sharks, Biker Mice, Ninja Turtles, all that stuff. It's that all of them, far as I can remember had a type of fast food that they were obsessed with, Biker Mice ate hot dogs, Ninja Turtles ate pizzas, Street Sharks had one guy who was obsessed with Salsa which was kind of weird. Don't remember if Swat Cats ate anything like that but I am gonna guess they did.

Swat Cats drank milk outta cans.

Also sonic the hedgehog liked chili dogs. No wonder he ran so fast, he was running to the bathroom LOL

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Elentor posted:

I'm not a huge fan of Return of the Jedi but the final confrontation with the Emperor is pretty great.

Legit, when you take in all of the story and its symbolism and themes and character arcs and all that, when the Emperor is tempting Luke and Vader is pushing him out of loyalty, and Luke snaps and loving wails on Vader, to the Emperor's delight, that is one of the most intense, rewarding, punch-in-the-gut scenes in film history.

The weird peaceful space monk smashing his evil father to death while a manipulator laughs at them both is some hella good opera.

naem
May 29, 2011

Randarkman posted:

You know what is good? The Evil Dead movies.

They should do a re:view or better yet a commentary track for one of them (or the entire series like one for Alien, would prefer it to be synched up to Evil Dead 2 or Army of Darkness personally).

HECK yes

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I would like re:View to talk about:

Jurassic Park
Big Trouble in Little China
Robocop
The Thing
Conan the Barbarian (1982)
Ray Harryhausen movies (Clash of the Titans, Sinbad, One Million Years BC, whatever)
Blade Runner

I'd like to see what they have to say about these movies, and more

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

None of the fights or battles or duels in any of the Star Wars movies are interesting or compelling

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The best thing to come out of Revenge of the Sith The prequels All of Star Wars is the line "Anyway, so Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the Graveyard Smash."

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Rogue One is really loving good. It's the first real star wars movie since Return of the Jedi.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Blue Star posted:

I would like re:View to talk about :

Jurassic Park
Robocop
The Thing
Ray Harryhausen movies (Clash of the Titans, Sinbad, One Million Years BC, whatever)
Blade Runner

Jay doesn't like Blade Runner. Though to be honest I've only seen it once, so I might agree with him on the whole "visually very nice but kind of boring".

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Randarkman posted:

Jay doesn't like Blade Runner. Though to be honest I've only seen it once, so I might agree with him on the whole "visually very nice but kind of boring".

The fact that he doesnt like it would make the discussion more interesting, though. If the other person (whether Mike, Rich, Jack, etc) likes it, they can have a discussion. If everyone hates it, then they can take it apart and explain why its bad.

naem
May 29, 2011

I watched Conan again recently and it's hilarious I forgot

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Capntastic posted:

None of the fights or battles or duels in any of the Star Wars movies are interesting or compelling

I generally agree, but I do like how all the duels in the first three were about skilled used of the lightsaber, but eventually Luke devolves into just battering Vader with his saber in an effort to finally take him down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDs2UGCP2Fk&t=226s

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I generally agree, but I do like how all the duels in the first three were about skilled used of the lightsaber, but eventually Luke devolves into just battering Vader with his saber in an effort to finally take him down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDs2UGCP2Fk&t=226s

It's cool because he already has vader knocked down but he still wants to keep beating him with his lightsaber.

I like lightsabers and jedis.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

naem posted:

I watched Conan again recently and it's hilarious I forgot

Arnold makes funny noises when he falls in the hole and finds the sword. Also the other actors are pretty bad, except James Earl Jones. Thulsa Doom will always be his defining role to me, more so than Darth Vader. I like the movie overall because i like the sets and the costumes, the score is beautiful, and the story is very simple and raw in a good way. Like, there's no bullshit or nonsense, it's just a straight-up revenge story. I like the vaguely Bronze Age feel to everything. Way more interesting than typical medieval-ness in a lot of fantasy stuff. Probably the best sword-and-sorcery film ever made, which isnt saying much admittedly. Anyway, I;m just curious to hear what RLM guys have to say about it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Blue Star posted:

I would like re:View to talk about :

Jurassic Park
Robocop
The Thing
Blade Runner

They have a full commentary for Jurassic Park

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
ive been saying blade runner looks good but is a dull movie otherwise, since before it was cool

but now that Jay has weighed in saying the same, it is basically objective fact

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Legit, when you take in all of the story and its symbolism and themes and character arcs and all that, when the Emperor is tempting Luke and Vader is pushing him out of loyalty, and Luke snaps and loving wails on Vader, to the Emperor's delight, that is one of the most intense, rewarding, punch-in-the-gut scenes in film history.

The weird peaceful space monk smashing his evil father to death while a manipulator laughs at them both is some hella good opera.

Yeah that's the best, I rewatched Jedi not too long ago and realized that people had a worse opinion of it than it deserved (especially after those loving prequels). The cutting back and forth between the throne room, Lando being awesome and the (ugh) ewoks kept it really exciting.

Also the throne room music/choral thing was extremely bad rear end.

I had meant to put the movie on "in the background" but I sat down and just watched the whole thing without even fiddling on my phone which is a real achievement for a movie these days.

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

priznat posted:

Yeah that's the best, I rewatched Jedi not too long ago and realized that people had a worse opinion of it than it deserved (especially after those loving prequels). The cutting back and forth between the throne room, Lando being awesome and the (ugh) ewoks kept it really exciting.

Also the throne room music/choral thing was extremely bad rear end.

I had meant to put the movie on "in the background" but I sat down and just watched the whole thing without even fiddling on my phone which is a real achievement for a movie these days.

If the ewoks had been wookies it would have been a perfect movie.

Andro Dunos
Dec 11, 2003

Randarkman posted:

The Emperor is even pretty good in Sith. He's like the only thing that's fun because the character is fun.

I never liked Ian McDiarmid that much as the emperor. There I said it. He's all hunched over like a witch, he has a sniveling nasally voice, and he's more annoying than threatening.

I don't know why they didn't reuse Clive Revill from ESB. He is His voice is in one scene but that version of the character has presence and a great authoritative voice. Put some makeup around his eyes and there you go.

I look at McDiarmid and think, why would Darth Vader and these other characters be led around and take poo poo from this obnoxious little guy?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Yug posted:

If the ewoks had been dickgirls it would have been a perfect movie.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yug posted:

If the ewoks had been wookies it would have been a perfect movie.

Probably would have got a stronger rating with all the limbs being ripped off etc, but that would have been fine.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I want a re:view of Mike watching the entirety of DS9 and gushing about it for an hour while Jay looks disinterested, confused, and upset.

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

I want a re:view of Mike watching the entirety of DS9 and gushing about it for an hour while Jay looks disinterested, confused, and upset.

I thought Mike liked TNG best since he's so in love with Picard.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yug posted:

I thought Mike liked TNG best since he's so in love with Picard.

No he likes TNG best because it IS the best and DS9 sucks THERE I SAID IT, SOMEONE HAD TO! IT'S A loving SPACE GAS STATION!!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Do you guys think Mike is still single and unmarried in his late 30's because he cares too much about star wars/trek?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

No he likes TNG best because it IS the best and DS9 sucks THERE I SAID IT, SOMEONE HAD TO! IT'S A loving SPACE GAS STATION!!

It's more like space customs.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Mike is 38 years old

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
And he is a scorpio, according to this website:
http://www.famousbirthdays.com/people/mike-stoklasa.html

I am learning so much

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Zzulu posted:

Do you guys think Mike is still single and unmarried in his late 30's because he cares too much about star wars/trek?

I think it's the alcoholism

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
He is happily married to Jessie

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
And they have two precocious kids and I'm their goofy next door neighbor\best friend

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
It's canon that Mike is 48 and Rich is 56.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

It's canon that Mike is 48 and Rich is 56.

who lives with his mum in manchester after his wife divorced him due to his gambling addiction

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

never thought about it before but hell, I'm a fan of the concept of post-apocalyptic storytelling to children being beloved movies that the adults liked before the world went to poo poo because honestly that's more realistic than anything

If you had to, I bet you could do a scene for scene retelling of A New Hope on the spot without thinking too hard.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Guy Goodbody posted:

They need to do a big budget live action Street Sharks movie

*claps* I KNOW WHAT THAT IS!!!

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Zzulu posted:

And he is a scorpio, according to this website:
http://www.famousbirthdays.com/people/mike-stoklasa.html

I am learning so much

ugh patton oswalt shows up in space cop? now i'm never going to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

a bone to pick posted:

ugh patton oswalt shows up in space cop? now i'm never going to see it.

one of the only characters that acts like a normal person

• Locked thread