Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817496&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post471467453

Couldn't get that video to show up as anything other than a link, sorry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Wonderboy is old skool levels of progression.

Die? Start over at the start of the level.
Time to git gud

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Forums should auto-parse mp4 urls into embedded-videos now.
code:
http://i.imgur.com/ec2r9Fv.mp4
If you copy+paste the above, or links similar to it, it'll work.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Infinitum posted:

Forums should auto-parse mp4 urls into embedded-videos now.
code:
http://i.imgur.com/ec2r9Fv.mp4
If you copy+paste the above, or links similar to it, it'll work.

It worked!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I never understood rubber banding being a problem in principle. Obviously it can be poorly implemented like anything, but the game's not supposed to be "fair" it's supposed to be challenging. There's no way to really make AI a challenge (yet, I guess) unless it "cheats" somehow.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Cojawfee posted:

This is why I don't like playing Mario Kart. It's one thing to be rubber banded or to lose a spot to bullshit. But going from 1st to last is just bad and I'm not interested in a game that does that.

Are you kidding? That's the best part.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
People that get mad at Mario Kart "bullshit" are the killjoys that ruin every tabletop game by just trying to be the BEST and flipping the table when the great nation states of South America and Australia invade Europe for no reason but to depose them.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The Wonderboy artstyle makes me want Cuphead on the Switch even more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-Ri2VB_mrs

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Also part of the Mario Kart meta game is to not stay in first the whole race?

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
mario kart meta game

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

General Morden posted:

mario kart meta game

I dunno man I haven't played one since double dash.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The only winning move is not to play

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Cojawfee posted:

This is why I don't like playing Mario Kart. It's one thing to be rubber banded or to lose a spot to bullshit. But going from 1st to last is just bad and I'm not interested in a game that does that.

It's the Mario Party of racing games, which is definitely not for everyone. You have to admit that rage-inducing as it would be for that to happen to you, it's pretty :allears: watching it after the fact.

I mean I guess maybe not if you broke your controller after that happened to you, but

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Infinitum posted:

jesus christ it's still not out yet?

wasn't there a working gameplay demo at E3 2014 or something?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I dont give a poo poo put Swat 4 on Switch

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

jesus christ it's still not out yet?

wasn't there a working gameplay demo at E3 2014 or something?

Development began in 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jDZfREYppk

So I'm pretty sure it'll be out on every platform under the sun to get their money back.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

It's the Mario Party of racing games, which is definitely not for everyone. You have to admit that rage-inducing as it would be for that to happen to you, it's pretty :allears: watching it after the fact.

I mean I guess maybe not if you broke your controller after that happened to you, but

It would probably be hilarious if I were with a group of friends or something, but I don't have eight friends in the same place to play Mario Kart with. Things like this being online would just be frustrating and terrible.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Infinitum posted:

So I'm pretty sure it'll be out on every platform under the sun to get their money back.

i hope it ends up as great as it looks

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Infinitum posted:

"Coming 2015"

well, that explains why I go through the cycle of "oh yeah, cuphead-- wait, it's not out yet? christ" and forget about it about once every 6-12 months

Cojawfee posted:

It would probably be hilarious if I were with a group of friends or something, but I don't have eight friends in the same place to play Mario Kart with. Things like this being online would just be frustrating and terrible.

it'd certainly be frustrating in the moment, but if a race is only ~5 minutes I'd take the ridiculous odds of the occasional situation like this over a frustrating loss in a 40 minute team game, for example

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 18, 2017

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It's out mid-2017 guys!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Infinitum posted:

It's out mid-2017 guys!

cuphead has the same outsourced project manager as star citizen

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Cojawfee posted:

It's not that bad in MK8 and it should be even better in Deluxe with being able to hold two items. Holding on to a horn and a shell or something will be a huge help in holding 1st.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
at some point the cuphead devs realized they had to make a game in addition to cool art and progress has kinda stalled there

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Cardboard Box posted:

i hope it ends up as great as it looks

Here's hoping, but what they have shown so far doesn't make me optimistic.

First it was a boss rush, then when people expressed disappointment, they added platforming levels, which they showed last year at E3. The platforming didn't look very good and the sound effects were atrocious.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Wonderboy remake looks really nice, the music is good but I can't let go of the original tunes.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Wheany posted:

Here's hoping, but what they have shown so far doesn't make me optimistic.

First it was a boss rush, then when people expressed disappointment, they added platforming levels, which they showed last year at E3. The platforming didn't look very good and the sound effects were atrocious.

oh god what

why would you gently caress with the boss rush, that was literally what was shown at E3 2014/15 to overwhelming hype, why can't you leave a good thing alone

looking forward to 2017's Mighty Number 9 Redux, I guess :smith:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Spacebump posted:

If anyone is still looking for decent cases for their system, this is the one I bought.
https://www.amazon.com/Industries-N...ndo+switch+case

I originally went to the store looking for a hardshell case and settled on this one after feeling it. When I travel, I like to put my portables in a case and then put them in my backpack. I generally put the ac adaptors in the backpack for devices and get cases that don't fit an ac adaptor. If you're looking for one that can hold your ac adaptor, this isn't it. The system fits well inside with joy cons attached. The game holders are nice and it has a zipper pouch inside that could hold more games or a small set of headphones.

A good case if you don't mind the ac adaptor not in the case and hard shell isn't as important to you. Would recommend.

It'd be nice if they had a case that also fit a pro controller (and the base) but didn't cost $40+ or have poo poo-tier quality. I've been using a pro controller and playing in handheld mode with the joycon layout really sucks now. :(

Infinitum posted:

I hope Mario Kart gets DLC for even MORE tracks.

That would be tops.

I'd be pretty amazed if that doesn't happen TBH.

less than three posted:

This new stuff coming out is probably what's been in dev before the Switch took off.

Some of it was in development long before people knew the console would be called Switch.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Infinitum posted:

I hope Mario Kart gets DLC for even MORE tracks.

That would be tops.

If they put in DK Moutain I will literally be out of ideas on how to improve MK8. I loving love that series of hairpin turns at the bottom.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Infinitum posted:

Will the Switch be able to handle those graphics?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Bloop posted:

I never understood rubber banding being a problem in principle. Obviously it can be poorly implemented like anything, but the game's not supposed to be "fair" it's supposed to be challenging. There's no way to really make AI a challenge (yet, I guess) unless it "cheats" somehow.

The AI can be a challenge by adapting to your racing style, learning shortcuts or advanced techniques (if they apply). But Mario Kart is just "Give the AI a weapon that'll turn the tide that the player can't do anything about and give them a 50% speed boost to catch up with you." I'd say there isn't much driving AI in Mario Kart either.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

People that get mad at Mario Kart "bullshit" are the killjoys that ruin every tabletop game by just trying to be the BEST and flipping the table when the great nation states of South America and Australia invade Europe for no reason but to depose them.

Eh, I don't get mad, I tend to just let out a mournful sigh. It does start to get tiresome though and I just stop playing after a few days of Mario Kart. There's a difference between knowing how to lose gracefully and just being frustrated with game mechanics. Hell, playing tabletop actually taught me that.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I hope Waluigi Pinball is a eventual DLC track

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

If you're not first, you're last

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

oh god what

why would you gently caress with the boss rush, that was literally what was shown at E3 2014/15 to overwhelming hype, why can't you leave a good thing alone

looking forward to 2017's Mighty Number 9 Redux, I guess :smith:

Microsoft had a word since they are publishing it afaik, and they really, really love adding lots of bullshit just for the sake of it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Wtf cuphead is going to be bad? That blows they clearly put so much care into how incredible the animation is, man that would be a huge bummer

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Healbot posted:

Microsoft had a word since they are publishing it afaik, and they really, really love adding lots of bullshit just for the sake of it.

Yeah, I'm just remembering the last game that MS meddled with (Scalebound) and am not getting a good feeling about it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The main frustrating thing about the rubberbanding is when you're trying to unlock poo poo in Single Player and you get blue shelled on the last lap of the 3rd or 4th race in the Cup.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Wonderboy is really good. Liking it a lot.

The artstyle is just absolutely gorgeous. Please remake every 8bit era game like this.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

The music ain't half bad either, though I'll probably use the old SFX just because I'm used to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah I've swapped the SFX to retro. Everything else is modern.

They've done a top notch job on this. Never played this before because ~Sega~ but it's an absolute treat

• Locked thread