Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The creator doesn't matter. The company owns the character.

[/DC]

But it actually doesn't matter what Claremont believes because it's super negated by current storylines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Kitty Pryde is a piece of property owned by the Disney Corporation. They get to define Kitty Pryde however they want.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Just wait until I'm writing comics and I'll make all of my OTPs real.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Emptiest chat thred tangent of all time?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You should see some of the tangents the CD thread goes on sometimes.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

You should see some of the tangents the CD thread goes on sometimes.

"Zack Snyder: great director, or greatest director?"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

"Zack Snyder: great director, or greatest director?"

No no, that's on-topic. This is what I mean:

Gorman Thomas posted:

What actor would most convincingly deliver the line, "Well boy, I'd masturbate to that. Hell, I might even cum".

Asking for a friend.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

No no, that's on-topic. This is what I mean:

Willem Defoe. How is there even an argument?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Dylan McDermott, the crysturbation king.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
John Goodman, or if we stretch the term actor a bit Werner Herzog.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Steve Bloom could probably pull that line off.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Meryl Steep would deliver it and make you believe that she was halfway there already.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Steve buscemi.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Was last October's Punisher the last thing Steve Dillon drew? Because it just popped up on Marvel Unlimited.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Was last October's Punisher the last thing Steve Dillon drew? Because it just popped up on Marvel Unlimited.

By all reports yes. He probably has unused artwork on file at DC and Marvel that will no doubt show up in the future though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

By all reports yes. He probably has unused artwork on file at DC and Marvel that will no doubt show up in the future though.

Was that any good? I just started the Marvel Knights stuff he did with Ennis and am digging it. I've already read his Punisher MAX stuff, and it's funny because I can't imagine a child old enough for the Knights run but too young for Punisher MAX.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Is there a thread for stuff like Adrian tomine & other drawn & quarterly type things in this subforum or is it for superhero comics only? Had a poke in the book barn and didn't see anything there either.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't know what that is, but if it's a comic book (or "graphic novel"), you're welcome to make a thread for it. There's way too much superhero stuff in this forum, but that doesn't mean other things are unwelcome.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Was that any good? I just started the Marvel Knights stuff he did with Ennis and am digging it. I've already read his Punisher MAX stuff, and it's funny because I can't imagine a child old enough for the Knights run but too young for Punisher MAX.

I couldn't really get into the first two issues so I bailed on it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

I don't know what that is, but if it's a comic book (or "graphic novel"), you're welcome to make a thread for it. There's way too much superhero stuff in this forum, but that doesn't mean other things are unwelcome.

Very much this. It's not like we're restricted on thread space or anything. If you see something people aren't talking about that fits into the forum then make a thread for it. It's also a good way to potentially introduce people to something they'd otherwise not know about.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

cubicle gangster posted:

Is there a thread for stuff like Adrian tomine & other drawn & quarterly type things in this subforum or is it for superhero comics only? Had a poke in the book barn and didn't see anything there either.

There's an indie comics megathread but it still tends to skew significantly towards, if not super-hero comics, then fantasy and sci-fi stuff. Not entirely but I mean if you want to start a conversation about Tomine you might want to start a new thread.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Ok, cool. I'll have to have some time to do a little more research & digging before posting a thread.

Lurdiak posted:

Graphic novel, yeah. Sometimes depressing stories about real people & life. Drawn & quarterly is a publisher that from my limited experience so far can do no wrong. https://www.drawnandquarterly.com
I've enjoyed anything Adrian tomine & Beverly by Nick drnaso

Fantagraphics comics also publish stuff I enjoy. They're the only 2 publishers I know of that do this kind of stuff, hence hoping for a thread to see if there's more out there I've not discovered.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

cubicle gangster posted:

Graphic novel, yeah. Sometimes depressing stories about real people & life. Drawn & quarterly is a publisher that from my limited experience so far can do no wrong. https://www.drawnandquarterly.com

Fantagraphics comics also publish stuff I enjoy. They're the only 2 publishers I know of that do this kind of stuff, hence hoping for a thread to see if there's more out there I've not discovered.

Top Shelf has quite a bit. Try Box Office Poison by Alex Robinson, which I loved when I first read it about 15 years ago. It has survived several collection cullings, but I'm not sure if I'd like it as much if I read it tomorrow.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Box Office Poison is one of my favourites but I found it lost a lot of its impact on a reread due to the spoiler of knowing the ending simply due to how much that's tied into how the story is delivered.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
First Second has been publishing some really awesome graphic novels lately too. Really recommend Sailor Twain and This One Summer

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

cubicle gangster posted:

Ok, cool. I'll have to have some time to do a little more research & digging before posting a thread.

I basically know nothing about comics outside of stuff published by the big two, licensed comics, and indies from Image, Boom, and the like, so I'd welcome anything new aside from that.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Indie thread is mostly Wicked + Divine fans posting black bars, but your kinda stuff should be fair game.
I think I got one person to respond when I went "Hey that new Daniel Clowes is cool, huh?"

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

To be honest, the indie thread is so incredibly broad compared to Marvel, DC, and Valiant that I feel like talking about anything other than the most popular indie books is just shouting into the void.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WicDiv really ought to have its own thread at this point.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
Would love a true indie thread. I just picked up My favourite thing is monsters and haven't had a chance to read it yet.

Also would like a zine and underground thread, especially one where we can post scans, if people are cool with it. Most underground guys love that people post scans cause you p much only sell zines to like the 6-7 zine fairs you go to and maybe your local comic shop. I have some old rare micheal deforge zines that would be cool to check out.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
Also sorry for double post, but if I am the only nerd into, for lack of a better term, "art comics", if people want to get into them, we could run a reading series thread?

...sorry for the double post

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
So my local store has about a dozen Amalgam issues on sale. Anything actually worthwhile?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Doctor Spaceman posted:

So my local store has about a dozen Amalgam issues on sale. Anything actually worthwhile?

hell yeah brosef

THORION OF THE NEW ASGODS
Dark Claw Adventures
JLX
Spider-Boy / Spider-Boy Team-Up
The 2 Super Soldier issues (Mark Waid/Dave Gibbons)
Iron Lantern

VVVV
oh yeah, that too

redbackground fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 19, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lobo the Duck!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Read them all as some are incredible and some are incredibly bad and YOU GET TO DECIDED WHICH ARE WHICH

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I don't know that there's any concensus on Amalgam books. I liked most of them, honestly.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Rhyno posted:

Read them all as some are incredible and some are incredibly bad and YOU GET TO DECIDED WHICH ARE WHICH

Even the bad ones are amazing as a self parody of that time period. Assassins is like the most 90s thing ever. And the John Byrne one is him giving voice to his Joseph Campbell fetish as openly as possible.

My only complaint is the lack of a continuity editor where like mild variations of the same character appear in six different books as throw aways.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
We desperately need some comic news from this weekend. The natives have become restless.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
What are some good Batman stories? I've read Year One, Killing Joke, Knightfall, Dark Knight Returns, The Man Who Laughs, Monster Men, and The Mad Monk. I like the more grounded stories where he's on his own but I don't care about those things as long as the story is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Gaunab posted:

What are some good Batman stories? I've read Year One, Killing Joke, Knightfall, Dark Knight Returns, The Man Who Laughs, Monster Men, and The Mad Monk. I like the more grounded stories where he's on his own but I don't care about those things as long as the story is good.

Read Batman: The Cult and cry that Wrightson passed away this year.

• Locked thread