Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

My only problem with DS3 PVP is trying to invade as someone who isn't hyper specifically built for PVP and inevitably running into hosts with 2 buddies and a bluecop and getting smashed into the ground.

I usually just roll my eyes and black crystal out, but nearly every single host does this. It makes Watchdogs of Farron covenant really dumb and bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Invasions do prioritize worlds with phantoms present so if you're gonna invade you should expect to run into plenty of coopers/gankers.

Aldrich Faitful is the best bet for having the odds actually in your favor as an invader.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Last time I was summoned as a Spear I ran into someone who absolutely was not expecting it. They basically panicked, ran into a corner, and had under 800 health. Whoops.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I just want to dabble in PVP once in a while while I clear the game but the invading system in this game makes it so that if I want to actually enjoy myself doing so I have to roll up an entirely new character and beeline towards a very specific build and spend a couple hours learning the in-and-outs of that build before I can actually do so, or else I get endlessly and repetitively crushed into smithereens for _daring_ to fight some dude with his thirtyteen friends present.

Or I can turn on Way of Blue and fight hackers and level 20 people using DLC weapons!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

wizard on a water slide posted:

Blood vials and the weird DkS2 Estus shortage were both bad, the healing mechanic is one thing Dark Souls nailed and you didn't need to complicate or iterate on it how they did

Eh, not really. Estus is a fine healing mechanic but hardly as amazing as people make it out to be. I'd call DS2's take on Estus equally as good with keeping in mind how life gems work. Blood vials are an infinitely better healing system in nearly every way except for the one potentially big flaw that everyone harps on about, running out. If all you're doing is running to a boss then you can run the risk of running out (although this risk can be greatly mitigated by keeping a good stock of blood vials, something I've noted a lot of players seem to be bad about : i.e. spending all of their souls on levels and not purchasing a single blood vial), though that's really the only situation where that's the case since if you're fighting against regular enemies you'll slowly gain them back and don't even need to rely on them since you have rally. But it is still a flaw which is why Nioh's Elixirs are the best version yet; blood vials that you're given a small number of that replenish and the ability to find and thus stock extras from enemies, and some other mechanics that intertwine like finding Kodamas in the levels that result in you replenishing more.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Nioh's Elixirs are the best version yet; blood vials that you're given a small number of that replenish and the ability to find and thus stock extras from enemies, and some other mechanics that intertwine like finding Kodamas in the levels that result in you replenishing more.

i think Nioh is the only game so far to have actually improved on some of the gameplay mechanics introduced in dark souls; the combat developments are fantastic (ability to instantly regain stamina is revelatory) as well as the healing system

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014

SKULL.GIF posted:

My only problem with DS3 PVP is trying to invade as someone who isn't hyper specifically built for PVP and inevitably running into hosts with 2 buddies and a bluecop and getting smashed into the ground.

I usually just roll my eyes and black crystal out, but nearly every single host does this. It makes Watchdogs of Farron covenant really dumb and bad.

Sounds like you need to git gud, not hard to kill people in low level PVP if you use the right equipment. Why would you try to rank up in a PVP covenant without switching to PVP gear?

SKULL.GIF posted:

Or I can turn on Way of Blue and fight hackers and level 20 people using DLC weapons!

I gotta say man I've done like 500 invasions in the past month and have encountered maybe 1 hacker? It doesn't seem to be that big of a problem. Sounds like you need to change your tactics or something, the ganking is annoying but not impossible to deal with. Learn how to parry ppl.

g0t_hats fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 18, 2017

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

alf_pogs posted:

i think Nioh is the only game so far to have actually improved on some of the gameplay mechanics introduced in dark souls

Does Bloodborne count?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Blood Vials are the worst because of BB's garbage loading times and anemic travel system.

So is there any good way for a mage to do physical damage? I didn't realize simple did magic damage too. I had to hot swap weapons against aldritch yet somehow this is the only character I beat him on one try with, some lovely hollowslayer +2 hadn't used in tens of hours. I think he likes to melee if you have a catalyst out.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Your Computer posted:

If anyone asks me why I don't like Dark Souls PvP I link them this wonderful video (that I think came from this thread?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ryhKKGMSXE

Nearly all fights in every Souls game has been like this for me. :sigh: I know a lot of people (*cough* and goons) take PvP super seriously and get really mad when I say that I wish there was a way to turn off invasions in the games without sacrificing other online interactivity and/or (in DS3's case) health, but look at this. Look at it.
I have never had an invasion be like this in ds3

that said it is perfectly legit to not give a rat's rear end about pvp, because dark souls pvp is actually fundamentally just not that good. I get kicks out of cheesing people out but people who take it seriously are really funny, because like...
For the most part only thing that stops someone from rolling/blocking/parrying/moving out of the way is latency. No move in this game is faster than someone's reaction time and most moves are a lot slower than that. What that means is that I can wait until you do a move and punish it with parry/roll/whatever and it also means that I shouldn't attack because you can do the same to me. The logical conclusion is to wait until someone does something stupid and attacks, or someone quits. "Optimal" ds3 pvp is really, really slow and turtly and boring, and the only reason most fights aren't like that is because no one wants to stand around not doing anything. If someone puts on leo ring, holds up havel's shield and pokes with a rapier from behind it, the enemy can't even kick the shield to drain their stamina-and even if they did it wouldn't do much stamina damage.

ds2 has better pvp, but you would still be miles better playing an actual fighting game, which is something I think every hardcore ds pvper has just... never played, and they don't understand how subpar of an experience they're getting spending all their time in ds duels

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

My PvP has always been laggy, but it's a really consistent lag. It took me forever to figure out when I need to swing and dodge, because I have to do it like half a second early, which means a lot of prediction. Dark Souls PvP is fun, but in a really stupid way I've never taken remotely seriously. I like when people invade me and I can just piss around with 15 Estus and whittle them down. I've got nothing but time, and if you invade me world while I'm trying to play solo I have no qualms about being a dick.
again, I have never ever had lag that bad. the absolute worst I've ever had was maybe half that bad, but generally speaking people get hit with stuff pretty much when it comes out.

what is up with y'alls internet? or is ds3 connection quality heavily location based?

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 18, 2017

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014

IronicDongz posted:

For the most part only thing that stops someone from rolling/blocking/parrying/moving out of the way is latency. No move in this game is faster than someone's reaction time and most moves are a lot slower than that. What that means is that I can wait until you do a move and punish it with parry/roll/whatever and it also means that I shouldn't attack because you can do the same to me. The logical conclusion is to wait until someone does something stupid and attacks, or someone quits. "Optimal" ds3 pvp is really, really slow and turtly and boring

PVP in DS3 is really hosed up, I still enjoy it a lot but the rolling is completely broken. You can roll like 10 times without stopping. It's awful. Never had any lag issues.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

this is why I like the Spears of the Church covenant a lot: it's endgame, people are expecting it and can play offline if they want to avoid it, and the perks as a singular boss help to balance out a four-person fiesta

it isn't perfect, it is pigeonholed at the butt end of some DLC, but it's a decent effort that really whips it up with the music and the setting

beats the hell out of hanging out on the Pontiff's back porch all day

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

hampig posted:

Does Bloodborne count?

i guess i meant by a company other than FROM

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Anyone help? I thought I read somewhere about an armor set or unique gear that shows up in a visited area after you kill both abyss watchers & deacons of the deep. I think it was something found in the Cathedral or in Farron Keep?

Basically what items show up only after killing those 2 bosses?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
I cant say for sure on deacons but the abyss watchers armor is bought from that old bitch at firelink

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Willfrey posted:

I cant say for sure on deacons but the abyss watchers armor is bought from that old bitch at firelink

No, I checked her stuff out.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Just finished playing The Ringed City (blind!) and it was pretty good! It sagged like hell in the middle, a lotta annoying enemies that do a ton of damage, imo way more than they should. But god drat, the bosses were great. The final boss especially. Aside from those though I actually liked the first DLC better I think? In the end they felt about the same, both took around the same amount of time to play, both had awesome unique equipment... but Ashes of Ariandel just had way less annoying fodder enemies I think.

All in all, the DLCs were absolutely worth the money I paid for them and I think they make for a great sendoff to the series.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

double nine posted:

Its called the Undead Legion Armor and she most def sells it after you kill abyss watchers

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014

Digirat posted:

A bunch of people lost their minds over dark souls 2 not having infinite invasion items but that fact certainly improved the gently caress out of my experience with it. Being able to play the whole thing start to finish in coordinated co-op with my brother and hardly ever have to deal with dumbass hackers was great, and a big reason it was my favorite game.

You can't kill invaders in DS2? It's the hardest game to invade in, you can only heal with spells. Idk it seems lame to me when people want to co-op or summon help but whine about being invaded. If you don't wanna be invaded in DS2 burn a human effigy.

How are some of you guys encountering so many hackers? I can probably count on 1 hand the number of hackers I've encountered in DS2/DS3 and I've got 1k hours in DS2 and 150 in DS3.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've been trying to use sacred flame for the hell of it in the Spears fight and I haven't managed to land it once. I swear the hitbox on this thing is shorter than a dagger somehow.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

Internet Kraken posted:

I've been trying to use sacred flame for the hell of it in the Spears fight and I haven't managed to land it once. I swear the hitbox on this thing is shorter than a dagger somehow.

That and Dark Hand have some kind of crazy super precise hitbox where your hand needs to be directly over the person's face. You'll miss 13 times out of 5, but when it magically does land, at least with Dark Hand, it does a ridiculous amount of damage. Totally not worth it, though. I've only seen one person land it ever, and it was Peeve throwing it out over and over again for like 30 minutes until it finally landed.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

double nine posted:

Also Archdeacons set shows up in the boss room if i recall correctly. youll need to reload the area probably

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
I wish Midir's arena was 1/2 the size so it wouldn't make running after his dumb rear end whenever he launches himself at nothing such a chore.

e: I say that and then I beat him. Hmm.

Blank Construct fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Apr 18, 2017

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Blank Construct posted:

e: I say that and then I beat him. Hmm.

I've discovered that many bosses in this game are weak to despondency. The second you resign yourself to the fact that you'll never beat a certain boss, you'll ace it on the next attempt.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Try resignation

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
the more I think about the friede fight the weirder it is. is there any boss in ds3, hell , in all of souls borne, that staggers as easily as her? let alone also being so aggressive? she plays the opposite of every other great boss in the games (alonne, fume, artorias, nameless) where you dodge a big hit or two then get in a few of your own and repeat. just mashing r1 seems like the best thing to do vs her third phase.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah but it turns you into a lazy susan. Get them to roll into you with other spells. PVPSkillz has a video about using it I'm pretty sure

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

skasion posted:

Try resignation

Give up, skeleton? :confused:

The secret to gitting gud is, and has always been, accepting death. This is why I like to go into new bosses with 0 souls, ritually ridding myself of them before entering the fight with the acceptance that I'll probably die. A lot. But every death is an opportunity to learn something new about the fight, to get better at timings and to read patterns or experiment. :darksouls:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM1PzUD-aJA

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I like the Midir fight a lot. He hits like a truck but doesn't feel like he has any cheap bullshit. Or rather, he only pulls out cheap bullshit if you do (i.e. if you try to run around beneath him hacking at his legs like a coward). The fight was difficult to learn, but once it's learned it's a fairly reliable process.

It feels very similar to Fume Knight in a lot of ways, except that you don't have a completely different second phase, just a couple of fairly non-threatening additional attacks and a slight increase in aggression.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

the more I think about the friede fight the weirder it is. is there any boss in ds3, hell , in all of souls borne, that staggers as easily as her? let alone also being so aggressive? she plays the opposite of every other great boss in the games (alonne, fume, artorias, nameless) where you dodge a big hit or two then get in a few of your own and repeat. just mashing r1 seems like the best thing to do vs her third phase.

Maria and to a lesser extent Gehrman staggered pretty easily to my memory. I remember Maria being really aggressive, too.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

She's an unkindled so she's more like another player, no innate poise but crazy damage potential. And in my experience players are usually crazy aggressive too. Despite pvp favoring the defender. I queued up to arena to hit dude god drat it

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the devs behind the game that had that neat trailer a few days ago has finally given out some details about it

http://gematsu.com/2017/04/bandai-namco-announces-code-vein-new-action-rpg-god-eater-team

sounds like it should be something to look out for

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

mastershakeman posted:

She fights very similarly to Maria and Gherman.
There are a lot of enemies like her DS3 as well. The Lothric Knights, the Abyss Watchers, most of the NPC battles, etc.
Mashing R1 without dodging against Friede would be an incredibly bad idea. Also, like most other enemies in a dark Souls 3, she can recover from stagger and hit you back if you get greedy.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if I posted this before, but I was just rummaging through my Dark Souls folder and found it. I had completely forgotten I even made it :haw:

I also found this screenshot from the launch, and if I remember correctly a lot of people were experiencing the same thing:

:negative:

Johnny Joestar posted:

the devs behind the game that had that neat trailer a few days ago has finally given out some details about it

http://gematsu.com/2017/04/bandai-namco-announces-code-vein-new-action-rpg-god-eater-team

sounds like it should be something to look out for

God Eater team, huh. I bought and tried to play one of those games, but I couldn't get past the ear-grating hilariously bad anime dubbing :smith:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I was about to say but Excalibur is one of the best dubbed characters ever, but that's soul eater

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Aww yeah, my style is gonna be so impetuous.

Oh wait, that's God Hand. My bad.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
First Hunter still annoys me because he is the final boss of a game that relentlessly punished you for dodging backwards, only for his first phase to punish the crap out of every single possible evasion technique except dodging backwards. He has a charged attack that will literally rush in a circle and hit you when you're standing directly behind him and you can't easily stagger him out of the windup. So you have to move back while he's charging it, the first hit in the combo will whiff because you're out of range, then you immediately shoot to parry the second swing. Fairly reliable when you figure it out but drat if it isn't counterintuitive.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Gehrman/maria are a lot different than freide in that they are so much easier to parry, which makes their aggressiveness manageable

also I beat both friede and Gael by going all out on attack on their third phases and double chugging the few times they paused. I had to play against them unlike every other boss since they were so relentless. I probably should go fight Gael on this guy who just fought Maria and see how it goes. also have champ and nameless ready to do so that'd be a sweet farewell tour before moving on to nier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Sapozhnik posted:

First Hunter still annoys me because he is the final boss of a game that relentlessly punished you for dodging backwards, only for his first phase to punish the crap out of every single possible evasion technique except dodging backwards. He has a charged attack that will literally rush in a circle and hit you when you're standing directly behind him and you can't easily stagger him out of the windup. So you have to move back while he's charging it, the first hit in the combo will whiff because you're out of range, then you immediately shoot to parry the second swing. Fairly reliable when you figure it out but drat if it isn't counterintuitive.

I feel that way about Gael, though it's the opposite. The flailing enemies of ds3 taught me to just back off, but Gael has the deliberate small combos of a ds1 for the most part.