Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Leafy Wall posted:

So I'm trying to find a mod that lets you go down the Psychic ascension path as a Hive Mind and I'm having very little luck finding one that actually... y'know, works. Anyone had any luck with that?
If there isn't one, you can easily make one for your personal use. Just make a mod that copies the 00_ascension_perks.txt file from \Stellaris\common\ascension_perks, and use # to comment out the hive mind custom_tooltips.

code:
ap_mind_over_matter = {
	on_enabled = {
		custom_tooltip = "mind_over_matter_tooltip"
		hidden_effect = {
			country_event = { id = utopia.2600 }
		}
		add_research_option = tech_telepathy
	}
	possible = {		
		custom_tooltip = {
			fail_text = "requires_ascension_perks_1"
			num_ascension_perks > 0
		}
		custom_tooltip = {
			fail_text = "requires_technology_psionic_theory"
			has_technology = tech_psionic_theory
		}
		custom_tooltip = {
			fail_text = "requires_not_ap_engineered_evolution"
			NOT = { has_ascension_perk = ap_engineered_evolution }
		}
		custom_tooltip = {
			fail_text = "requires_not_ap_the_flesh_is_weak"
			NOT = { has_ascension_perk = ap_the_flesh_is_weak }
		}
		#custom_tooltip = {
		#	fail_text = "hive_mind_biological_ascension_only1"
		#	NOT = { has_authority = auth_hive_mind }
		#}
	}

potential = {
		NOT = {
			has_ascension_perk = ap_mind_over_matter
		}
	}

ai_weight = {
		factor = 5
	}
}
code:
ap_transcendence = {
	on_enabled = {
		custom_tooltip = "transcendence_tooltip"
		hidden_effect = {
			country_event = { id = utopia.2650 }
		}
	}
	possible = {
		custom_tooltip = {
			fail_text = "requires_ascension_perks_3"
			num_ascension_perks > 2
		}
		custom_tooltip = {
			fail_text = "requires_ap_mind_over_matter"
			has_ascension_perk = ap_mind_over_matter
		}
		#custom_tooltip = {
		#	fail_text = "hive_mind_biological_ascension_only1"
		#	NOT = { has_authority = auth_hive_mind }
		#}
	}

potential = {
		NOT = {
			has_ascension_perk = ap_transcendence
		}
	}

ai_weight = {
		factor = 5
	}
}

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
You'd probably want to check over the associated events as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see some more hive mind checks in there.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
There don't seem to be any, surprisingly. Many of the shroud events won't make too much sense for a hive lore-wise, but I guess the same can be said for a lot of the regular events that hives can do already.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Newest thing I've learned in 150 hours of gameplay: Federations kind of own.

As far as I can tell, the Federation Fleet you can contribute towards has either discounted maintenance or no maintenance. I'm in a two nation federation, so basically every 10 years I gain access to a 30%-50% (higher with the diplomacy tree bonus) fleet cap boost plus backup from my peer's navy.

I used to see similar ethos neighbors as no fuss targets for annexation, but from now on I think I'll try to build a federation with them.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Just murdered the Unbidden with my 140K battleship fleet. Arc Emitters are cool and good. So is having jump drives in a hyperlane game. The best part was my fleet single-handedly destroying the entire invasion and then some 1.2K corvette fleet getting credit for the killing blow.

I had the corvette steal thing happen to me too. I tried multiple reloads to test if this was a fluke, but the corvettes ALWAYS got credit for the kill. So I declared war on them and murdered the corvettes.

Because I'm the hero, damnit.

MadJackal fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 18, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MadJackal posted:

I had the corvette steal thing happen to me too. I tried multiple reloads to test if this was a fluke, but the corvette's ALWAYS got credit for the kill. So I declared war on them and murdered the corvettes.

Because I'm the hero, damnit.

What was the bonus from doing so?

I just accepted it and declared war on the rest of the Galaxy instead.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What was the bonus from doing so?

I just accepted it and declared war on the rest of the Galaxy instead.

It's a pretty minor diplomacy bonus. I think the Leviathan: Drake slaying has a better bonus, but whatever. It's the principle of the matter.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Wiz, please please please prevent ship designs from getting the same name if there's enough names in the list. Makes upgrading/saving designs dodgy, occasionally deleting other designs with the same name. Also we still need a "Random Ship Name" button.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Can one of you theory crafting wizards tell me how to make an early game corvette that isn't trash? Any time I make them they just get shredded and do almost no damage back. Tempted to just not bother building them and just going straight destroyers.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Why can I boil an entire system down to it's component elements and rebuild it as a ring world but I can't build a giant gently caress-off space station that builds titans?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Demon_Corsair posted:

Can one of you theory crafting wizards tell me how to make an early game corvette that isn't trash? Any time I make them they just get shredded and do almost no damage back. Tempted to just not bother building them and just going straight destroyers.

You could always do the build I did my last game, if you manage to get mining lasers from the mining drones just equip them with 2 of the highest tier mass drivers you have and 1 mining laser. Basically did a 2-1 ratio like that on all of my ships up to cruisers and my fleet managed to cut through everything like butter until I got plasma cannons and high end torpedos.

Edit:

deathbagel posted:

Why can I boil an entire system down to it's component elements and rebuild it as a ring world but I can't build a giant gently caress-off space station that builds titans?

:iiam:

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Demon_Corsair posted:

How early are we talking?

General rule of thumb is: strap on the biggest engine you got, shields only (capacitor if you have it), and the fotm guns (kinetics/AC is probably best since corvettes are fast enough that the enemy shields will likely still be up once they're in range, a lot of goons like energy torps later on). Evasion is your tank on these, the shields are only a fallback, so don't sacrifice evasion for shields. Psionic Transcendence gives a great evasion bonus, but you won't hit that too quickly unless you're rushing Unity. Destroyers are a difficult target as they have tracking bonuses specifically to counter corvettes, but bigger, slower, stupider ships can be swarmed.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

MadJackal posted:

Newest thing I've learned in 150 hours of gameplay: Federations kind of own.

As far as I can tell, the Federation Fleet you can contribute towards has either discounted maintenance or no maintenance. I'm in a two nation federation, so basically every 10 years I gain access to a 30%-50% (higher with the diplomacy tree bonus) fleet cap boost plus backup from my peer's navy.

I used to see similar ethos neighbors as no fuss targets for annexation, but from now on I think I'll try to build a federation with them.

Yeah, people talk bad about Federations but my experience with them has generally been positive. The only real annoying thing is when the federation gets too big and it takes forever to get the fleet back.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Quick migration question if anyone knows.
I'm human. I've created a few other human empires and one spawned next to me and we are friends but I have NO migration treaties with anyone. I'm now finding I have 2 entries for "human" in my empire species list and have a "human" on my homeworld suffering from 80% habitability and is a xenophobe. It's quite early game and my pops are still 100% aligned with my state ethos, and my neighbouring human empire is not xenophobic either. I know that 2 other human empires set to force spawn are xenphobic though.

So what's the deal with this migrant? How did he get to my homeworld? I didn't get a refugee popup (is there even one?) but could this fellow have been a victim of oppression in an empire I don't even know about? Could he be an early ethos-drift from my neighbour who was kicked out for being a xenophobe (we are both egalitarian materialists) ?

I so wish I knew what was going on. I wish I could mouse over the pop and learn where the pop was born or why it migrated to Earth. There's some odd stuff in the game with "same species" detection.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Lprsti99 posted:

I remember reading that Fanatic Purifiers are still bugged re: Xeno Unity interactions, that still the case? If so, there a mod fix?

Yeah, I'm playing as one right now, and it's hilarious, but you get squat in terms of Xeno Unity bonuses, which is a drat shame. Your people will be stoked as hell though.

Now I just need to get rid of this damned individualist faction. Suppressing them seems to have stopped their growth, but they're not going away. If only I could purge by ethics...

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
I dunno, even when I had theoretically great (like 90%) evasion corvettes they still didn't dodge very well in practice. The combat screen was only showing 30% or so, and my ships got absolutely chewed up.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Demon_Corsair posted:

Everyone else hates them, but I find that early game, missiles are fantastic. They have huge ranges and almost never miss and early on, nobody has point defense to keep them from hurting a whole lot. You can use them to gain a foothold against any neighbors that might be a problem and then start teching into better builds after you get to your fleet max. I actually still use them in my game and nothing stands a chance against my 110k doomstack kitted out in a mix of Quantum Missiles and Swarm missiles with some PD on my cruisers and no armor with tons of shields, not even the awakened FE that declared war on my federation mate. I still haven't had a spinal mount weapon come up to research yet but it's only 2290ish, I'll probably mix them in when I get them.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I'm human. I've created a few other human empires and one spawned next to me and we are friends but I have NO migration treaties with anyone. I'm now finding I have 2 entries for "human" in my empire species list and have a "human" on my homeworld suffering from 80% habitability and is a xenophobe. It's quite early game and my pops are still 100% aligned with my state ethos, and my neighbouring human empire is not xenophobic either. I know that 2 other human empires set to force spawn are xenphobic though.

So what's the deal with this migrant? How did he get to my homeworld? I didn't get a refugee popup (is there even one?) but could this fellow have been a victim of oppression in an empire I don't even know about? Could he be an early ethos-drift from my neighbour who was kicked out for being a xenophobe (we are both egalitarian materialists) ?

I so wish I knew what was going on. I wish I could mouse over the pop and learn where the pop was born or why it migrated to Earth. There's some odd stuff in the game with "same species" detection.

It's a different species. When you spawn two empires that are meant to be the same species, same portrait, same traits, same name, the game will still treat them as two separate species. You can go around this with editing save games and changing an empire's founding species and such. Spawning empires by event rather than spawning custom empires also works, which is how the UN is spawned when you're the Commonwealth and both are the same species, there's an event set to go off at game start that targets any empire that has the commonwealth of man flag, then it saves that empire's founding species and then it spawns the UN as a new empire in the Sol System using that new species (which will usually be human, but you can try changing the commonwealth's species and it will spawn the UN with the same one and not normal humans).

Don't know how he got there. There is a refugee event, though I haven't seen it that often.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Strudel Man posted:

I dunno, even when I had theoretically great (like 90%) evasion corvettes they still didn't dodge very well in practice. The combat screen was only showing 30% or so, and my ships got absolutely chewed up.
http://www.stellariswiki.com/Space_warfare#Accuracy.2C_Tracking.2C_Evasion

Hit chance = max(0, accuracy - max(0, evasion - tracking))

So when your 90% evasion corvette goes up against flak artillery (75% accuracy, 50% tracking) the chance for the flak to hit is: 75% - (90% - 50%) = 35%

Edit: by way of comparion, kinetic artillery (70% accuracy, 5% tracking) is utterly incapable of hitting: 70% - (90% - 5%) = floored at 0

GotLag fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 18, 2017

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I hope the next content patch we see involves espionage, just cleared out a system of a giant crystalline entity that has two colonizable worlds, one of which was a size 23 gaia world, but before I could muster a colony ship a neighboring ally sniped the gaia world from me. I was just thinking it would be nice to have some means of getting it back without resorting to war.

Also, it would be nice to have something to spend all this excess influence I've accrued but can never find a good reason to spend it on things other than recruiting leader and starting 'infrastructure project' edicts.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 18, 2017

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

How do the three different ascension paths pan out power wise?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zotix posted:

Well, the psionic path can potentially cause a unique endgame crisis, so it has that going for it. But for things you can do, hm, I dunno. Looking at raw numbers, turning your pops into synths seems like it should beat most things genetics can do, but I haven't done in-depth comparisons so I'm interested too.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Convert your pops to synths so you get the joy of having to build each and every one yourself.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Zotix posted:

I'd say, Psionics is the most fun with potentially the most powerful bonuses but is more random and can easily burn you. Synth is prob the strongest bonus without too many strings attached other than having to manually build pops. Genetics seems weaker but it gives you some unique gameplay in custom tailoring pops and you can do some creative stuff with it. For instance, someone on Reddit found a way to actually use it offensively and destroy enemy empires by giving them pops engineered to be the worst possible fit for their empire. But the genetics interface isn't the best so you have to deal with that.

So power wise, if you save scum, Psionics probably wins cause you can make it so you never pay any penalties. Otherwise synth is probably strongest unless you have a specific strategy you want to leverage with genetics. That's my impression anyways.

But Psi is by far the most fun imo even with the backfires so that's the best in my book.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
There's also the fourth path: Megastructures. They're not all that useful powerwise, coming way too late in the game to be anything but candy, but are nice to flesh your empire out after the game is over.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I'd say Synthetic Evolution is the most powerful (immortal rulers, bonuses to every resource output, perfect habitability), but it also has the worst downsides (every non materialist empire will think less of you, and both materialist and spiritual fallen empires will be out for your blood).

Psionics has some very powerful techs and leader trats but it's unreliable and slow.

The biological one is the weakest but it carries zero risks and is fairly flexible, especially for non-egalitarian empires who can resettle modified species to places that synergize with their new traits.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

The biological one is the best with the caveat that it takes a lot of micro

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
The Shroud has the best lore, but there's something very tiresome about constantly pulling the One-Armed Soul Bandit and getting a lovely new curse. It would be nice if there was a notification when your psychics recover from their five year nap, too.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Jabarto posted:

The biological one is the weakest but it carries zero risks and is fairly flexible, especially for non-egalitarian empires who can resettle modified species to places that synergize with their new traits.

You don't even need to resettle people, just modify people on specific planet.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Baronjutter posted:

If you review the pop's entry in the species list, it should list their homeworld in, I think, the top left.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

GotLag posted:

http://www.stellariswiki.com/Space_warfare#Accuracy.2C_Tracking.2C_Evasion

Hit chance = max(0, accuracy - max(0, evasion - tracking))

So when your 90% evasion corvette goes up against flak artillery (75% accuracy, 50% tracking) the chance for the flak to hit is: 75% - (90% - 50%) = 35%

Edit: by way of comparion, kinetic artillery (70% accuracy, 5% tracking) is utterly incapable of hitting: 70% - (90% - 5%) = floored at 0
I dunno, like I said, it just didn't work out in practice. I didn't check out what the weapons were, as I probably should have, but I was seeing mid-thirties average dodge rates when my corvettes had 90% evasion.

Also, that formula contradicts the written description right above it, "The chance to hit is 100%-Remaining Evasion or the Accuracy of the weapon, wichever is worse for the attacker." The written explanation would suggest that the chance of hitting with kinetic artillery would be 15%, the lower of 100 - (90 - 5) and 70.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Apr 18, 2017

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Bio ascension is pretty cool, all my dudes are now superdudes and it's also necessary if you want to be a borgy hivemind and bring everyone into you.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Jabarto posted:

I'd say Synthetic Evolution is the most powerful (immortal rulers, bonuses to every resource output, perfect habitability), but it also has the worst downsides (every non materialist empire will think less of you, and both materialist and spiritual fallen empires will be out for your blood).

Psionics has some very powerful techs and leader trats but it's unreliable and slow.

Genetic engineering also gives you perfect habitability though (except Tomb Worlds).

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Zotix posted:

Synthetics comes out ahead in terms of raw numbers, +20% to everything is way more than biological can manage even with 11 trait points, plus they also get 200% habitability, immortality, and the empire leader drops a 10% happiness bonus on everyone along with 15% Naval capacity. Scientists also get 10% Research Speed, to match Psionics. Plus they also only cost 75% of the energy and consumer goods other pops do. And you can pave over all your farms with power plants. Curiously cyborg > synth admirals actually get worse, going from 15% fire rate to 5%. It can take quite a while to actually ascend though, considering the number of tech cards you need to pull to fill prerequisites. And, as noted, everyone is out for your blood (oil?) when you do. Oh, and Share The Burden seems to work for ascended pops too, so that +20% to everything is actually +30%.

Psionics come second, the unique temple buildings from Spiritualist can make for some really fast ascension because you only need Psionic Theory as far as prereqs go, there's a 10% research boost on pscientists, 15% evasion on admirals can make for invincible corvettes, their armies are just ludicrously hard to kill, and they've never even heard of Unrest if you're the slaving type. Plus you can yank all kinds of cool poo poo out of the Shroud. It can actually end up more powerful than Synths, but only if you get lucky in the Shroud. If you ascend fast and pull an Avatar ship quickly by luck, you've wrapped up that game then and there.

Bio ascension... I can't recommend. It's comparatively weak IMO. It takes a hell of a lot of micromanaging to make it stand up to the other two. The best strategy for it involves having each of your planets specialise in a single resource, and modding the people there to be extra really good at that. Syncretic Evolution works well for it because you can mod your Proles to also be Industrious and Very Strong, possibly with Nerve Stapling if they get out of hand (but slavery works better) and then ship them off to Mineraltopia. You also want to uplift a ton of people if you can and mod them to be extra awesome. Building habitats that you populate with Thrifty Communal Earthbound uplifted dudes can see you swimming in energy.... but that's actually only 10% more than a habitat of synths would get and relies on you finding Earthbound pre-sentients. If the Synths run Share the Burden your advantage completely disappears. You can grow really quickly if you eat a conquered planet or two and later mod them to be more delicious, but people tend to dislike you for it. As you'll be doing a lot of resettling early on, you want good Influence generation. You also have to ban migration or everyone just sort of drifts away from their assigned jobs.

MarquiseMindfang fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Apr 18, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Hive mind with genetic tinkering is incredibly powerful. You can modify species at a planetary level so that their actual bonuses no longer matter. Combine it with planetary specialization and you maximize your efficiency. For example every mineral planet can be populated by industrious very strong workers, every energy planet with thrifty workers, and every research planet with erudite workers (specialized for whatever research that planet generates). And then every one of them can also be conservative and ultra fast breeding.

It requires some micro but it's pretty powerful.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Going full synth means having to manually build every pop in your core worlds though, and going bio path lets you stack -growth time modifiers to grow much faster than the 30 month build time for synths. Plus bio path has the delicious/nerve stapling options for extra evil. More importantly you can't set species rights for your synths after ascension, which might lock you into migration controls? At least I've never seen them migrate, but I can't check what rights they have.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Demon_Corsair posted:

Here's my early game strategy. Foolproof, I promise. Build lots of corvettes. Weapons don't matter. Just have more. Don't even upgrade their armor or shields (always upgrade guns). Just build more. I don't really make them fancy until destroyers come out. Or if I get torpedoes early when I'm a missile start. My preferred late game corvettes: neutron torpedoes, disrupter, afterburner, with the rest in shields. Buuut that's mid-late game. In the beginning, you just need the biggest number possible until you get destroyers.

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Apr 18, 2017

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I've been playing that giant Star Trek mod recently and holy poo poo I am LOVING the way it's handling ships. The short version is that they massively jacked up the fleet cap cost of each type as well as cranking up the mineral cost of building them. Tier 1 poo poo ships take 2 cap and cost ~250 minerals, for example.

The end result is that fleets feel much more like a group of ships that you actually care about rather than a stack of disposable commodities that you really only end up paying attention to the annual cost of replacing attrition.

Does anyone know of a a mod that does something similar for the base game?

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009
Can you get achievements with mods enabled now? I know you could always do so with mods that don't affect the checksum. Currently I'm running a few that I assume DO alter the checksum (e.g. Utopia Expanded). On the New Game screen I'm told "This game is eligible for achievements". I know that in EU4, at least, the achievement eligibility notification takes into account the mods you have running, so is the Stellaris one similarly accurate?

edit: also - why, oh why, is there no auto-upgrade of buildings in the base game yet? Auto-explore gated behind tech was a good development.

oxford_town fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Apr 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
So it turns out you can have Hive Mind pops in your non-Hive empire. This is probably a bug but I'm not complaining about my new super-adaptive quick breeding no-happiness problem friends.

My non-Hive starter people:

And here's a drone in charge of my democracy (you can see the next election just below)

They refugee'd into my empire after most of their empire was conquered (I assume to escape a purge?) and when I accepted them they were perfectly fine with being in my non-hive empire.

• Locked thread