Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Slung Blade posted:

Switch started another thread for the 2017 edition of our rally, come help us plan / make poor choices and tell us if you're coming :ohdear:
*hyperventilating* Decide your dates so I can flake out early this time!

I'll be in Saskatchewan in mid-July (so sometime shortly after July 16 means no additional flights for me) and in Alberta *sometime* in August, probably the middle 2 weeks. I think I can convince my GF to be my co-driver. Don't plan around me, I'm hopelessly inable to make plans or meet obligations. BUT I WANT TO MAKE BAD DECISIONS (more than I do normally, anyway)

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/lethbridge/1996-saab-900-s-convertible/1249424711?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

No picture in the ad but it says "blue" and GIS showed me this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I like how it's not an epicly long run this time which should appeal to my fickle tastes, but with moving into the new house pretty sure I'll be spending most of my summer doing landscaping and work around the new house. I'll be eagerly :f5:ing the action though.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Yeah I think I'm probably out as well since the Mazda is too low and the Van's registration expires in august so I'll need it gone by then and my schedule is looking insane.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So with moving at the end of the month I'm starting to do some of the legwork for setting up utilities. First up, Telus. We have a landline (which we might get rid of but we do use it a fair amount) and our new house has FTTH so we are stuck with Telus as an ISP as FTTH hasn't been opened up to 3rd parties yet.

So last night I call them to set up the move of service and see what they can offer me for internet. I get hooked up with 150/150 Internet with a 1tb cap for $42/month for the first 3 months and then $80 afterwards which isn't bad, especially since it's 6x faster than my current 25/5mb DSL and only about $20 more. Have the move of service set up for Saturday April 29th @ 1PM which works because that is our first full day in the new house. They need to give me a new phone number as the town is a different prefix. Annoying, but fine.

Get the confirmation email this AM and I give it a read. It now shows my move of service is set up for Tuesday May 2 which, well, I work on so that's less than ideal. I'm also shown our new phone number. I google it. The people that had it before was, well, not a residence.It was a business. And not just any business. It belonged to ..... a pizzeria and hotel. I poo poo you not. Short of belonging to a massage parlour I'm not sure how it could be worse.

gently caress. THAT.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Why are you getting phone service at all? You're not a million years old, dude.

When you're giving friends and family your new phone number, just give them your cell numbers.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The simple answer? I don't like leaving my cell on all the time. We'll probably eventually kill the landline but our respective cells are also our work phones and some of my clients can be very, um, needy. Sometimes I like to decompress by just turning my phone off after hours and not having to deal with anyone work related in the evening/weekends. Besides, with our discounts the phone really doesn't cost much. I think it's like $10/month at most. When I was on DSL I needed a landline or else I would get charged a dry-loop fee which was a significant portion of the cost of actually having a landline.

I do eventually see not having one, just not there quite yet.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

ExecuDork posted:

*hyperventilating* Decide your dates so I can flake out early this time!

I hope early June works for you because it looks like June 2-5 is our best window.

1500: bring your van out, it would be ideal.

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Apr 12, 2017

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

It's official, this is my wife's life now:
https://vimeo.com/201722277

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
Wednesday in Nisku:
Field Sup: Hey, head out tomorrow to Edson and get your rig all ready to come off the carrier. We are gonna do the recert and get you guys back to work late May

Me: :dance:

Field Sup: Oh, and you might as well strip all the lines and shieves out there while your at it. That way you don't have to do it in the nice warm heated shop :smug:

Me: :stare:

Thurday in Edson:

Me: :suicide:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

^Do you mean "sheave" as in something like a v-belt pulley?^

So I'm moving to the new house at the end of the month and getting utilities set up and stuff. Already have internet lined up (no brainer as Telus has FTTH) but it looks like I have the option of Epcor for power and gas. I loving hate Direct Energy with a passion so I am looking forward to ending service with them. We always receive our bills 2 weeks after the bill date with only 2-3 days remaining to pay it with no penalty. Annoys the hell out of us.

Also, I don't know about you guys but I'm seeing definite signs of the economy improving. I looked at my sales numbers and I'm already within 10% of my total 2016 the 3rd week in April :stare: I knew I was busy but gently caress me, am I busy. It's almost like 2013 again.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 18, 2017

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
It would seem that's the more common and current way to spell it. We pronounce it shiv, and I can't recollect when I've ever seen in spelled sheave at work. It doesn't have to make sense, like how we don't have shifts, but tours (pronounced towers), the horse cock has a donkey dick inside of it, and there aren't tools in the tool house (or very many). I'm planning to take a bunch of pictures and post the imgur gallery link later on when we're working on my rig again.

Regardless, they are just pulleys for various cables on the rig. We left the crown shieves as they are in one block of several, as well as the fast line shieve. They are pretty big (1 1/8" drilling line) and they are way easier to remove with a shop crane. I can't remember off hand what they themselves are good for, but 80% of the drawworks is something like 144 kDaN. That's the weakest part of the hoisting system. I know that one of these types of rigs has accidentally pulled 200ish kDaN when the weight indicator broke while jarring stuck pipe and it showed string weight indicating it broke free.

We got word to start on the 7500 psi circulating system today, upgrading from the 5000 psi one. Not looking forward to having to deal with that at all considering how heavy the pump modules are. I had heard 4000 lbs each, 3 per pump, 2 pumps.

We are working out of the yard in Nisku and although there are a ton of shops for lease or sale, traffic is booming. Even our big fancy new design and fab shop is up for lease. It seems that any shop or yard I drive by is busy, and a big PD rig just moved out of Yard 4 recently. Peelerz isn't open yet though. We usually eat at the Truck Stop in Leduc and it and the area seems quite busy. It wasn't long ago that Nisku was almost a ghost town. Edson really picked up after the new year as well.

The Ritchie Bros lot is filling up and I saw this bad boy parked next to the fence. It's too bad, I would imagine most of that stuff will be heading south for a lot more than I'm going to be willing to pay. I might make the sale though, since a good friend is a TM from out of town and he said he'll be in for it. Dad wants to get a dozen heifers, a bull and a little bigger tractor but I doubt we'll find something in our price range there.

It looks like a whole bunch of our rigs will be going back to work shortly, including one that has been racked for 3 ish years. They have 3 out of 16 hands. When we fire up we will have maybe a crew and a half. It's a good thing everyone quit and moved home. FYI, if anyone is looking for a career change we're gonna be so goddamn short on hands it's gonna blow hard. On the plus side, we're almost guaranteed a raise this October. It won't be enough for this bullshit

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

slidebite posted:

So I'm moving to the new house at the end of the month and getting utilities set up and stuff. Already have internet lined up (no brainer as Telus has FTTH) but it looks like I have the option of Epcor for power and gas. I loving hate Direct Energy with a passion so I am looking forward to ending service with them. We always receive our bills 2 weeks after the bill date with only 2-3 days remaining to pay it with no penalty. Annoys the hell out of us.

Also, I don't know about you guys but I'm seeing definite signs of the economy improving. I looked at my sales numbers and I'm already within 10% of my total 2016 the 3rd week in April :stare: I knew I was busy but gently caress me, am I busy. It's almost like 2013 again.
I spent an embarrassing amount of time researching the various energy providers, and the cost is just about the same no matter who you go with. The difference is where those obscene profits go; Epcor is at least owned by the City of Edmonton, so theoretically it benefits me as someone who lives there. Direct Energy is a Houston-based subsidiary of a London-based multinational.

Also, it's not just you, Direct Energy is terrible at billing. Sometimes they'd just forget to send me a bill! Like, altogether!

And I'll believe the economy is hot when my meth-head patients stop telling me they can't find work (to pay for meth).

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Old Balls McGee posted:

FYI, if anyone is looking for a career change we're gonna be so goddamn short on hands it's gonna blow hard. On the plus side, we're almost guaranteed a raise this October. It won't be enough for this bullshit
In February I was at a small conference with a few people from other universities I've been working with for my post-doc. My already-extended-through-silly-loopholes contract will expire at the end of October, and one of my colleagues at this conference asked me what my plans are for November.

Panic.

That was my full answer, and it's funny because it's true. I'm applying for jobs right now, but I guess if everything falls through I know which door opens when I hit that panic button. Thanks for that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

drat, if I was in the market for a cheap truck this could be a deal
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/lethbridge/1989-gmc-sierra-750-price-drop/1252397955?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I would bet $10 you could poke a hole through the frame with your finger.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Actually I'd take that bet. There is quite a few GMT400s down here in surprisingly decent shape.

There are also some horrid ones, but I'd still take the bet

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Hey, we had pretty much that truck (though I think it was a 1990). Sold it maybe 10 years ago? Coincidentally ran across it in a parking lot this morning and it wasn't looking too good.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

Actually I'd take that bet. There is quite a few GMT400s down here in surprisingly decent shape.

There are also some horrid ones, but I'd still take the bet

Every GMT400 has 50 pounds of rust. If it's not on the body it's on the frame.

odiv posted:

Hey, we had pretty much that truck (though I think it was a 1990). Sold it maybe 10 years ago? Coincidentally ran across it in a parking lot this morning and it wasn't looking too good.

drat potholes, amirite?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

odiv posted:

passed_vehicle_inspections_NWT.jpg

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Is there a consensus for stereos that people recommend?

I've never cared enough to replace stock before, but the one in this truck I bought sounds like absolute poo poo (or it's the speakers?) and I wouldn't mind bluetooth/aux in anyway. Browsing around it seems like everything looks like cheap plastic junk with piercing LEDs. Can I just get something that looks as boring as my stock (2006 chevy colorado) stereo? (guess I could check the stupid question thread too)

odiv fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 19, 2017

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Blaupunkt Toronto 420BT is really nice but they're difficult to get in Canada and are pricey. Most inoffensive looking cheap unit you can get is the Clarion FZ105BT, buttons feel fairly cheap but I can't really comment on its operation since mine is sitting waiting to go into my Mazda.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I dunno if it's at all what you're looking for, but not long after I bought my truck I put in a JVC unit that checked the boxes I wanted.
Ranger Stereo Swap 3 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
  • USB and AUX inputs
  • CD player
  • Easy-to-find-without-looking PAUSE button
  • Under $150 including wiring and adaptors
I bought everything at Canadian Tire, including the 2-DIN -> 1-DIN Ford-space-filling plastic surround / shelf thing.
Ranger Stereo Swap 1 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

For about $15 more I could have had Bluetooth and (I think) either iPhone or Android interface through either USB or Bluetooth. Those weren't priorities for me so I didn't go that way. Pulling the factory head unit and putting the new stuff in was pretty easy, took me about an hour and a half and no serious issues.
One of my speakers - driver's door - is cutting out sometimes, and there's a hissing noise that comes through the speakers and changes with engine RPM even when the stereo is off, so sooner or later I might tear into the system again.

The PAUSE button was the hardest thing to figure out. For whatever reason, many head units completely lack a PAUSE button - they'll have MUTE and a bunch of other functions, but stopping a track then resuming it a few seconds later is just not something that Sony (for example) seems to consider.

Those pictures were taken in the daytime and with flash, so you can't see the red LED patterns. Basically, all of the buttons are red, with grey writing on the display. It has a dimmer function that you can wire into the headlights so it's darker at night (I didn't set up the wiring that way), but I just set it to about 60% brightness all the time. You can customise the display to certain extent, from the factory-default LOOK AT ME! down to something less distracting. Whenever I disconnect the battery I have to re-learn how to do that stuff but it's not a big deal. It has a remote but it never comes out of the glovebox.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

Most inoffensive looking cheap unit you can get is the Clarion FZ105BT, buttons feel fairly cheap but I can't really comment on its operation since mine is sitting waiting to go into my Mazda.
Where'd you get it, Crutchfield?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Ordered it from 2001 Audio Video, although the there's a Clarion dealer in Calgary that looks like they sell it on their website.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

If I keep the 996 (which to be fair I probably won't), I'd like to replace the single DIN head unit with something a little more modern but I want something with orange backlight which seems to be pretty difficult. I'm thinking of a Continental but wouldn't mind something a little more readily available.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Pretty much every radio on the market lets you change the color of every LED/screen on it.

I've got mine matched to the ford green pretty well.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

slidebite posted:

If I keep the 996 (which to be fair I probably won't), I'd like to replace the single DIN head unit with something a little more modern but I want something with orange backlight which seems to be pretty difficult. I'm thinking of a Continental but wouldn't mind something a little more readily available.

VDO makes some as well but going to be just as hard to source and they've got a bit of chrome on the knobs so it may not be what you want to go for. I would probably bite the bullet and just get the continental unit from Europe for a 911 tbh.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

I like that quite a bit. I didn't know Continental made radios.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It's probably just a name licensing thing . I did some checking on the VDO that 1500 mentioned above, and they seem to be literally identical but blue. But I agree, I quite like the aesthetics of them. They're good looking and look like they were OEM in the cars I've seen them in.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Weird I don't remember the VDOs being blue, I knew they were the same the continental models though. I think Continental owns VDO now or there's some link like that.

The only thing that sort of led me towards the Clarion over the Continental aside from the price was a lack of an SD card slot behind the radio face.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I really dig those Continentals and I want them in my car. That said, I bet you have to import them and they cost a hofuckjillion dollars.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

We should inquire for the Canadian distribution rights.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh god I can't imagine the clusterfuck that would be.

The one I want is something like $180US plus shipping, so it's not crazy. If I keep the 911 I'll probably buy one and a drop in connection harness.

In other news, just agreed to sell our house for $1K under listing with just over 2 weeks on the market. Quite a clean offer, shockingly they don't even want a professional inspection which is of course fine by me as I genuinely have no qualms with the house but still. The basic financing condition comes off in 2 weeks and seems pretty straight forward as the buyer is all pre-approved and have a committed offer on their existing home.

Here's to not needing bridge financing for longer than a month :toot: thank christ. I loathe throwing money away on interest payments.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Anyone in Calgary area know of this truck ? Looking for pre emissions and pre 6.0L

2000 f350 lariat 7.3L diesel dually,
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...ent=app_android

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

All right cool, thanks for the stereo advice. I'll figure out something before I take my roadtrip this summer otherwise the sound in this thing is going to drive me crazy.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Don't put it off! I drove round-trip from Edmonton to Saskatoon before I swapped my stereo and it was a miserable experience. I bought an overpriced, cheap cassette-adaptor and plugged in my MP3 player. The lovely cassette adaptor (is there any other kind?) didn't *quite* fit the 3.5mm socket properly, so the sound would cut out from the left or the right or entirely at random moments. I got angry and tried to force it to stay tightly in place and broke off the tip inside my MP3 player. I couldn't have NO music for the remaining 10 hours of driving so I bought another lovely cassette-adaptor and a child's-toy type MP3 player at a Walmart in whatever town between Edmonton and Lloydminster has one. I also tried to play music through my tablet and that was a complete waste of time.

Swap your stereo. A month later, if you decide you don't like your new head unit, buy another one and discover that doing the swap a second time is 10x easier and faster; sell the 1-month-old one you don't like on Kijiji for 75% of what you paid for it.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Encountered a minor issue when I arrived at the kart track with my trailer yesterday (there was also almost a major issue but we won't discuss that), this is my "official" parking spot right now:

Tracks were from the spot beside mine but I'm surprised they got it out of there given that you could feel the water coming up through the asphalt when you stepped on it. Ended up just parking it elsewhere and hoping nobody complains.

Interior is pretty nice but a little cramped right now, need to get some cabinet action going on and then it'll really start coming together.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
How was towing that trailer?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

My dad insisted on towing it which is fair since its technically my mom's vehicle and I doubt she's actually going to give it up any time soon, but it seemed fine following from behind. We did go through langdon though rather than the main highway.

e: for reference

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Man that is a lot of tongue weight bias on that trailer for that little car.