Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Counterpoint: trench coats and backpacks are in-game items you can loot and steal and have stolen, et cetera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
Either way, technically anything that makes your silhouette bigger is a disadvantage in a game that mostly about seeing people before they see you. So even if shooting the flapping coat tails doesn't damage you, it might stick out beyond a wall or something, right?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Essobie posted:

Either way, technically anything that makes your silhouette bigger is a disadvantage in a game that mostly about seeing people before they see you. So even if shooting the flapping coat tails doesn't damage you, it might stick out beyond a wall or something, right?

Well, it probably does, but most of the time a dark trench coat is better than a white/gray t-shirt. God help you if you have a khaki/beige jacket.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Counterpoint: White outfits will help you blend against the walls of certain buildings and tree trunks and aren't all that bad in urban environments, but since the last third of the game is out in fields anyway you're better off with just about anything

I do like how well camo works in this game though, I have footage of me and a friend running up to a tree and he notices that the small bush in front of us is a dude in a ghille suit just as we're about to step on him. Neither of us noticed him at all and I didn't even see him until the dude and my friend shot each other at exactly the same time.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I'm a little confused as to whether bullet drop is already implemented in the game or not. Many places say it wasn't, I watch guys on youtube who all seem to just fire directly at the target and never mess with the zeroing etc.

Anyone knows for sure?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Bullet drop does exist. This twitch clip posted earlier shows it

e: If you go to the video this clip is from, and go to time 7:07:30, you can see him figure out the drop by watching the bullet impacts and adjusting

oh, he also mentions in that video that you can hold LMB to keep the sights up when shooting the kar98, which is something I didn't know before

taqueso fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 17, 2017

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Gay Horney posted:

it's better to assume cosmetics do not change your hit box because to assume otherwise would be woefully retarded

it's a bug not a feature*

*at the time of this writing

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
There is bullet drop but it's fairly slight and apparently increasing it is on the list of things to do.

But yeah speaking of the fields, there really needs to be grass taller than your ankles in this game.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Drop your resolution. Only thing I could find that's worked.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I'll take it

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Three terrible squad games in a row where someone manages to get killed early, finally have a game where everyone is kitted up and in a good position with a few kills apiece, just chilling and happy to be playing the game

which is a perfect time for the server to crash, I guess ;(

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I had a great solo round yesterday. I dropped down on the crater and immediately murderized the two other guys I dropped with. Circle ended up being across the map, and while I was looting the main building I heard a couple shots in the distance, and a minute later, a jeep drive off.

Circle starts closing in and I realize that there's no way I'm gonna make it. I run out of the compound and down the hill and find a buggy with one wheel shot out - that explains the shots - and jump in thinking it's better than nothing.

Turns out a buggy with a wheel shot out goes 15-20km on flat road (barely better than running) so I'm just putzing along and the blue is catching up. No way I'm going to make it at this rate. All of a sudden, what's that? I hear another buggy driving on the road behind me! He pulls up side by side with me and slows down... I think he's wondering why I'm going so slow and is thinking of popping me. I slam on the breaks and hop out, he turns around to try to run me over, and I blow his brains out. I say "thanks for the ride" over mic and hop in his buggy. I drive off, barely escaping the blue zone, as his body flops around stuck on the hood while he rages over voice chat.

Basically, game good.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Yodzilla posted:

There is bullet drop but it's fairly slight and apparently increasing it is on the list of things to do.

That would be odd given it's a trivial equation to get the bullet trajectory right.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Level 4 Helmet is nuts.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

emanresu tnuocca posted:

That would be odd given it's a trivial equation to get the bullet trajectory right.

It's probably not as trivial as you think. When I talked to PU he said he wanted the long range shooting to be more like Arma but said it's pretty difficult to get it right.

El_Funko
May 25, 2003

Where did she go?
I captured the end of my first solo win, and sped up the downtime between action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q1FxN4rP-s

I forgot to lead the target in the car because I was running on full lizard brain mode from the adrenaline, but I got a couple nice kills in there to round it out.

I loving love this game.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Anyone else getting regular disconnects? This was my loadout last night right before my most recent DC. :(

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Apparently we've got a new weapon coming. https://twitter.com/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/status/854212604331311104

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

It's probably not as trivial as you think. When I talked to PU he said he wanted the long range shooting to be more like Arma but said it's pretty difficult to get it right.

I also think zero'ing could be difficult to apply (at least for the in optic markings) for scopes for different guns. I don't know if the projectiles are coded to exit in a line out of the scope or slightly below (out of the barrel) either, which could make a difference in how zero'ing works and also when swapping the optic between guns with different ballistics.

I general I think most people compensate too much when shooting with rifles with optics since most of the shots we take probably are of distances between 50-250 m which will require you to aim barely above at the longest.

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Apr 18, 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The equation is trivial, the programming is super extra not.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Orv posted:

The equation is trivial, the programming is super extra not.

VulgarandStupid posted:

Yeah probably. I mean, making every bullet a physical object is probably not feasible and even if it was you can't really have objects moving at those kinds of velocities in the context of frame based game.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

VulgarandStupid posted:

Could go the battlefield route and have vastly different gravities for projectiles (literally bullet trajectories can have gravity double that of Earth to simulate the drop they want)

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
Just read from the devs that we are getting a Vector .45 acp. Hopefully its not just a crate gun. And now .45acp will be worth holding onto. (chance to get a tommy gun are rare )

More information will be released in the patch notes later today.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Wonder how they're going to balance it since the vector is designed to minimise recoil and muzzle climb.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I hope it's just like the real Vector and jams if there's even the slightest body movement while firing.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

rap music posted:

Anyone else getting regular disconnects? This was my loadout last night right before my most recent DC. :(

I had disconnects all night last night to the point that i actually went to bed at a half decent time

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Party Plane Jones posted:

Could go the battlefield route and have vastly different gravities for projectiles (literally bullet trajectories can have gravity double that of Earth to simulate the drop they want)

It definitely feels more realistic going this route and from a programming perspective it makes more sense to give each type of projectile its own gravity to simulate weight since trying to do a calculation of how a bullet falls because it weighs x while traveling at 1100m/s seems like way more CPU time

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
The Kriss Vector is a weird choice tbh

e- I wonder if it'll be 9mm or .45ACP, probably the .45ACP if I had to guess, to give the 1911 a companion like the P92 has in regular spawns

VikingSkull fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 18, 2017

El_Funko
May 25, 2003

Where did she go?
Dev blog has been posted: http://steamcommunity.com/games/578080/announcements/detail/646673219748632258

Some highlights:

quote:

Content Updates
Added Vector SMG. A very powerful SMG most appropriate for short to mid-range combat that is spawned in the world
Added Motorbike w/ sidecar. A sidecar-less version will be added in a future update
Added a 2X Aimpoint scope
Added a Ballistic Mask
Added 3 new color variations for the Dacia
Added the crossbow back into the game

World
Adjusted the density of environmental elements to be identical across all graphic options

Action/Gunplay
Adjusted the overall balance on all attachments
Adjusted the overall balance on Assault Rifles
We will continue to balance all weapons and attachments throughout Early Access
Fixed the issue that caused cars to temporarily stop when their tires get shot out
You can now sprint when in the crouch stance
The blood hit effect size now varies according to the weapon caliber
You can now move when in aiming and/or scoping in the prone state
Fixed an issue that caused the hit box for the head to be slightly larger than the actual head
Improved the quality of zoomed-in scope views
The muzzle flash is now brighter than before and is now visible from a longer distance

Sound
There are now sound effect differences for supersonic and non-supersonic bullet speeds
You can now figure out what floor the opponents are at just by listening to their footsteps
Adjusted the firing sound of the SKS in mid to long range combat
Adjusted the volume of the footsteps

Miscellaneous
We have opened a test server to better manage our content and secure stability for our live environment updates

Bug fixes
Fixed a bug that caused weapons to clip through walls

There's a bunch more changes listed in the blog, but those were the significant ones that jumped out at me.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I appreciate the 2x scope and I will likely never use a dot after I have one. The 4x was just a little too zoomed in for close range imo

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Oh, the crossbow was removed from the game, I thought I was just hallucinating that it was in this one.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Those changes are pretty much all great.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

taqueso posted:

Those changes are pretty much all great.

yeah this, and I guess my Vector question was answered, .45ACP it is

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

quote:

Adjusted the volume of the footsteps
What does this even mean, are they louder, quieter?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I'm pretty much the best at this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKiRowU3jSw

Boy is melee combat bad and doors kinda busted.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Nfcknblvbl posted:

What does this even mean, are they louder, quieter?

I'd assume they fall off faster or are attenuated by walls more since you could hear footsteps in nearby buildings​ after the last patch.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
All of those patch notes are fantastic. They addressed practically everything that needed to be addressed with the current state of the game and made nothing but quality of life improvements to the gameplay.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Oh is it not supposed to be like that? I've only been playing since Sunday and all I know is footsteps being loud as gently caress to the extent if you're in the attic of a house you can hear someone crawl through the grass outside.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
What are those patch notes even suppose to mean? They need to add a shooting range like every other competitive game where you can practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Some good ones that weren't in the list above:

quote:

- The dead team-mate icon will now disappear after a certain time and distance when in team modes
- Map markers are now visible to all teammates
- You are now able to move sideways and backwards in the REVIVE state
- The REVIVE timer will no longer decrease when a team mate is attempting to revive you
- You are now able to open the world map when spectating
- Fixed a bug that caused bald characters to have hair
- Fixed a bug that caused the hit effects to play at random

• Locked thread