Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Just a quick heads up for anyone that's going to visit Sweden in the near future.

Due to the terrorist attack in Stockholm yesterday, the Swedish government has activated/reintroduced internal border controls at select border crossings. Even if arriving from another Schengen area country foreigners may be required to pass through immigration controls when entering Sweden.

This is meant to be a temporary measure and will hopefully not last long, and in practice it shouldn't make a big difference or even be something most visitors will run into. Check with the consulate of your country in Sweden and/or your governments website for travel advisories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

I have not done this but do keep in mind that trains in Switzerland are expensive as gently caress. The way down from Munich through Bolzano and Trento is quite lovely, though I don't know how it compares to the Swiss route.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Entropist posted:

I have not done this but do keep in mind that trains in Switzerland are expensive as gently caress. The way down from Munich through Bolzano and Trento is quite lovely, though I don't know how it compares to the Swiss route.

Yeah the train going from Zurich to Milan is around $100. The Eurocity direct from Munich to Venice is around the same, but I wouldn't be paying for the second leg that I'd have on the first trip. It's not a huge difference so I'd rather go with whichever one is going to be more visually interesting.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Does the Glacier Express run that late? I'd fly into Zurich - or even better Geneva - and do that if you can, then I can't remember the details but you can get to Italy relatively easily from the other end of the GE.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

For Munich, it looks like the route is pretty nice as well, going through the Brenner Pass

http://www.seat61.com/international-trains/trains-from-Munich.htm#Munich-Italy

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
The route from Geneva to Milan is somewhat prettier, but honestly you'll have to take the slow mountain trains if you really want a nice trip. Glacier Express runs year-round, but even if you start from Geneva you don't really see much of it (Geneva -> Brig change to Glacier Express -> Andermatt -> Goschenen -> change to RE to Milan. This will add about 2 hours to the trip though.

The train route from Zurich to Milan is only OK. You get a good view most of the time from Zurich to Altdorf (first ±40 minutes), then after that you're in the longest tunnel in the world for like half an hour, then you go through the not-particularly-scenic Leventina valley until you get to Bellinzona, and then it's pretty again for about half an hour until you get to Chiasso, and then you just go through Italian suburbs for the last 30-ish minutes until you get into Milano Centrale.

YMMV though, I always prefer to go by car since then I can stop and admire the view when it's pretty. If it's summer and the passes are open, at least. I've also lived here for years and might have a much higher threshold for what counts as particularly amazing alpine scenery.

You could also take the MegaBus which runs from Zurich main station to Milano Centrale for like €10. The views from road and train routes from Zurich to Milan are pretty much the same.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

I overbooked by a day in Antwerp and would like to check out some cool hidden gems if anyone has any suggestions. I wouldnt mind a quick train ride to somewhere cool either. Preferably some cool ruins or old things but honestly anything will do.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I'm not too familiar with Antwerp but I think there's an old fort to the east of it, at Wommelgem. It's sometimes used as a concert venue too.

E: looking at the map, there are a bunch of them in a wide half circle around the city, also in the south! Don't know if they're interesting to visit though.

Antwerp is also in day trip distance from Ghent and Bruges. Especially Bruges is full of old stuff and nice to walk around in if you haven't been there yet.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Bruges is wonderful especially if you get there early in the morning when it's quiet

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

actionjackson posted:

Bruges is wonderful especially if you get there early in the morning when it's quiet

Aye, started Belgium in Ghent and Bruges.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

actionjackson posted:

This seems to apply to every European city. Evenings are crowded; no one except sanitation workers are out before 8. Sunrises are as nice as sunsets.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Also, anywhere cool to experience Easter around Leiden or Amsterdam? I wish I could get to Luxembourg but it doesn't make sense as Ill be going down that way later in the week anyway.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

HookShot posted:

Go to Croatia and Slovenia. Plitvice lakes for nature, Ljubljana for a super pretty old town that's amazing to just wander around and enjoy.
Thanks for the trip rec; it was sick. Heightlights were Plitvice, Lokrum (Would have been even nicer if the water were warm enough to swim), and driving through/getting lost on a drive from Zagreb to Plitvice to Split. Ended up taking back roads most of the way... gorgeous. Scenic fields, towns strung out along the road, switchbacks through mountain forrests, and extended periods with sheer cliff to the side of the road.... And getting tailgated/passed when going 30 over on said roads.

Dubrovnik was much nicer than Split.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 12, 2017

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

actionjackson posted:

Hello,

I'm looking to take yet another European trip. The plan this time is Italy - Venice, Florence and Rome in that order by train.

However since I do like train travel, and since there are several major hubs that are within a 6-7 hour train ride from Venice, I was thinking about flying either to Zurich (in which case I would take the train to Venice through Milan) or to Munich and then take the train to Venice by going directly south.

The Zurich one appeals to me a bit more because it looks like it would be really scenic. Here is the route (Florence to Rome not shown). Thoughts?

I would be going in late September or early October to avoid the biggest tourist season, and to get a bit cooler weather.

switzerland is expensive, and you'll go through a lot of tunnels

Instead, consider going from Innsbruck, which is cool enough in it's own way, down through Bozen and Verona. Bozen is very nice, and south Tirol is quite scenic, and there is some very nice hiking in the dolomites.

I feel verona is often overlooked, and outside of the summer crush is fairly low-key compared to florence and venice, although there is still a lot to see.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Landsknecht posted:

Instead, consider going from Innsbruck, which is cool enough in it's own way, down through Bozen and Verona. Bozen is very nice, and south Tirol is quite scenic, and there is some very nice hiking in the dolomites.

I feel verona is often overlooked, and outside of the summer crush is fairly low-key compared to florence and venice, although there is still a lot to see.

What's Venice like around now? Not crowded yet and not smelly yet? Any special events there for Easter?
And what are some cultural things to see in Bologna? Just a quiet college town with a classic center and music scene? When I went to Florence I walked for a bit in the hills above the river and it was beautiful. Is there something similar?

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Venice is always packed except for maybe some days in late January and early February...

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Landsknecht posted:

Thanks. I was also considered starting my train trip in Vienna, would that be a decent alternative?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Dominoes posted:

Thanks for the trip rec; it was sick. Heightlights were Plitvice, Lokrum (Would have been even nicer if the water were warm enough to swim), and driving through/getting lost on a drive from Zagreb to Plitvice to Split. Ended up taking back roads most of the way... gorgeous. Scenic fields, towns strung out along the road, switchbacks through mountain forrests, and extended periods with sheer cliff to the side of the road.... And getting tailgated/passed when going 30 over on said roads.

Dubrovnik was much nicer than Split.

Awesome, glad you enjoyed it!

I agree with you about Dubrovnik being better than Split for sure.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

actionjackson posted:

Thanks. I was also considered starting my train trip in Vienna, would that be a decent alternative?

Are you just flying into somewhere north of the Alps so you can take a train that passes through the Alps to get to Venice? I've driven most of the route the train appears to take, though I can't remember it at all in specifics (though I only drove through, didn't even stop to eat anywhere I don't think, and it was like 4 years ago). Do you really like rolling hills for 6 hours, mountains for 2, and plains for 2 hours? TBH I'd probably look out the window for 30 minutes and read a book for 9.5 hours, which while nice enough it seems like the day could be better spent enjoying Venice. There's also the reasonable chance that you won't see anything because it's foggy that day, or rainy, or just not clear enough to see anything besides the mountains' foothills. I don't think I'd take that chance to enjoy 2 hours of scenery out of a 10 hour train ride, but YMMV.

If you really want views, either take the slow trains/buses that go over the mountains instead of inside them, or rent a car. Zurich to Lugano has some amazing views if you take the regional train that goes over the Gotthard pass (i.e. you go from Zurich to Andermatt, then Andermatt to Lugano).

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

It depends on how close it is. Vienna itself I would like to actually see. It also has to do with the fact that I'd be flying into one of those cities, and so it's a way to see another part of Europe, at least for a bit.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

actionjackson posted:

It depends on how close it is. Vienna itself I would like to actually see. It also has to do with the fact that I'd be flying into one of those cities, and so it's a way to see another part of Europe, at least for a bit.

Vienna is awesome to visit, rain or shine. Zurich is "eh" in rain and nice in shine but ridiculously expensive even for not-particularly-money-sensitive travelers.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.
For museums/churches in Italy, am I better off just not bringing a backpack/daypack? From everything I've read, it sounds like I'd have to check it anyways? I really only wanted a backpack for carrying water and snacks, but I can probably use my messenger for that...

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

liz posted:

For museums/churches in Italy, am I better off just not bringing a backpack/daypack? From everything I've read, it sounds like I'd have to check it anyways? I really only wanted a backpack for carrying water and snacks, but I can probably use my messenger for that...

No church in Italy bars small backpacks, unless maybe florence does in high season. For Saint Peters you just have to stick your bag in a scanner and then you're fine (unless it changed in last couple years).

Some museums ban backpacks but if they do, they'll have locker storage that you can use with like a €1 deposit. Messenger bags are identical to daypacks as far as those rules are concerned. Some places let you wear backpacks "backwards" though no idea how messengers would do there.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
I'm going on a short vacation to Paris at the end of May. I messaged three different AirBnBs and none of them responded to me. What am I doing wrong? I have 5 reviews from other places I've stayed, all positive. I sent a polite message requesting to book (in English, I don't speak French but 2/3 places said they were English speakers).

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

When did you send the messages? It's a major holiday weekend + school holidays here so they may just be offline.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

Defenestration posted:

I'm going on a short vacation to Paris at the end of May. I messaged three different AirBnBs and none of them responded to me. What am I doing wrong? I have 5 reviews from other places I've stayed, all positive. I sent a polite message requesting to book (in English, I don't speak French but 2/3 places said they were English speakers).

How long ago did you message them? They might be away for Easter weekend.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.

Saladman posted:

No church in Italy bars small backpacks, unless maybe florence does in high season. For Saint Peters you just have to stick your bag in a scanner and then you're fine (unless it changed in last couple years).

Some museums ban backpacks but if they do, they'll have locker storage that you can use with like a €1 deposit. Messenger bags are identical to daypacks as far as those rules are concerned. Some places let you wear backpacks "backwards" though no idea how messengers would do there.

Thanks for the info, still deciding if I even wanna bother bringing my DSLR along, hence the backpack questions... I actually have a Kata camera backpack but didn't want to bother with it if I'd be checking it everywhere.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

liz posted:

Thanks for the info, still deciding if I even wanna bother bringing my DSLR along, hence the backpack questions... I actually have a Kata camera backpack but didn't want to bother with it if I'd be checking it everywhere.

If you don't have specific things you want to photograph and a good reason to do so: don't take it. You will be "that guy" in almost any attraction, especially one that makes you put your bag through a scanner. Enjoy the experience unencumbered, and take your camera if you go hiking or something.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

liz posted:

I say grab the bag and the gear. It's freaking Europe and the architecture is beautiful. Also a good workout when you carry a heavy bag all day long. There's pasta, gelato, pizza and all sorts of wonderful food. So easy to get fat.

Use the bag to stash your bottled water and an emergency snack or rain coat.

There's always going to be a dude with a freakier camera and tripod so who cares.

Oh and wear long sleeves pants and a nicer polo shirt if you can, it's Europe after all and try to look presentable when you go inside a church.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Amsterdamse Bos is a very sweet park. Been biking around and napping in it most of the afternoon. Wonderful dogs everywhere.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Don't miss the goats! The path along the lake in the southeast is also quite lovely. Close to the cherry blossom park. You can see Amstelveen across the lake.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
I am headed to Rome in a month, and am wondering if I should stay near the forum or along the river in the western part of the old city. Refer to attached map. Should I stay at location A or B? What would be the advantages of each?

My biggest goal is to go for quaint walks around the city at night and more enjoy the atmosphere.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Last time I was in Rome i walked from the Vatican to Termini and it took not much longer than 45 minutes. Any place in the inner city is fine, it's all very close.

Honj Steak fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 18, 2017

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'd go with B, you're a closer walk to Trastevere, which is night-time walking-and-atmosphere central.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
B is way more fun at night. The area near the Colosseum / Forum is relatively pretty devoid of stuff to do at night and comparatively it's very dead-feeling after sunset. Trastevere is a lot of fun at night (more authentic, student-y) as is Piazza Navona (very touristy but still quite nice and fun at night and day).

Also if you're staying for more than 3 days, B is also going to save you some time walking. There's easily a weeks worth of extremely interesting, unique stuff to see and do just in the part of Rome you showed a screenshot of.

Also if you like cats, go to Torre Argentino.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009
I stayed about a block NW of the spanish steps @ an AIR BNB above a pub.. Was a great spot/super nice area/lots of great restaurants nearby/train station/night life.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

I really enjoyed staying in Trastevere, and if you like evening walks to see the city, I'd say it'd treat you well :)

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
While we're on the subject of Italy, does anyone know if you're required to dangerously tailgate cars in driver's ed and your driving exam in Italy? Because what the gently caress Italy. I saw 4 wrecks yesterday, 3 caused by idiots tailgating and 1 caused by someone with an unmaintained car that caught on fire. It's not like they even want you to go faster, I'll be going 15 over, have a tailgater, pull over and let them pass, and then 1 minute later catch up to them and find them going 5 under the speed limit. I've noticed it a lot before, but drat it was awful yesterday. I'm definitely never driving through 8 hours of Italy again on a major holiday.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
B also has an indoor pool and rooftop bar, so I think I will go with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Is there anything to do if I have a free night in Inverness, Scotland?