Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Strudel Man posted:

I dunno, like I said, it just didn't work out in practice. I didn't check out what the weapons were, as I probably should have, but I was seeing mid-thirties average dodge rates when my corvettes had 90% evasion.

Also, that formula contradicts the written description right above it, "The chance to hit is 100%-Remaining Evasion or the Accuracy of the weapon, wichever is worse for the attacker." The written explanation would suggest that the chance of hitting with kinetic artillery would be 15%, the lower of 100 - (90 - 5) and 70.

Here's a spreadsheet. Save a copy and see how the effective DPS changes when you increase/decrease the defender's evasion.

Range is just there for ease of comparison, it plays no part in hit probability.

Even at the default corvette evasion of 60%, a large red laser has the same damage output as a single medium, albeit with an increased range. Mass drivers have it even worse, a large turret has lower DPS than medium.

At 90% evasion, ignoring potential accuracy bonuses from other equipment, none of the large turrets can hit the corvette at all.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

oxford_town posted:

Can you get achievements with mods enabled now? I know you could always do so with mods that don't affect the checksum. Currently I'm running a few that I assume DO alter the checksum (e.g. Utopia Expanded). On the New Game screen I'm told "This game is eligible for achievements". I know that in EU4, at least, the achievement eligibility notification takes into account the mods you have running, so is the Stellaris one similarly accurate?

edit: also - why, oh why, is there no auto-upgrade of buildings in the base game yet? Auto-explore gated behind tech was a good development.

That notification for achievements is bugged out, don't trust it for now.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Hive mind with genetic tinkering is incredibly powerful. You can modify species at a planetary level so that their actual bonuses no longer matter. Combine it with planetary specialization and you maximize your efficiency. For example every mineral planet can be populated by industrious very strong workers, every energy planet with thrifty workers, and every research planet with erudite workers (specialized for whatever research that planet generates). And then every one of them can also be conservative and ultra fast breeding.

It requires some micro but it's pretty powerful.

Growth rate and no manual growing are the only real advantages. You edge a 5% in mineral production with Industrious Very Strong Proles at +35% conpared to Share the Burden synths' 30%, Earthbound Thrifty equals them in Energy at 30%, and Erudite Natural (Science) workers equal out too at 35% since Synth Governors give 5% as well. All the while the Synths are 10% happier, have 15% more Fleet Capacity, are immortal, have perfect habitability out of the box, do more damage with their ships, research faster, and cost 25% less Consumer Goods and Energy to maintain. I do like to give my to-be-synthed races Fast Breeders though, just to help them propagate before they're converted.

I also think Hive Minds in general are significantly underpowered. Their compensation for not being able to join Factions is a single Influence point, but you can get a lot more than just one point from Factions. And Inwards Perfection totally eclipses their Unity gain. I was expecting their civics to be a lot more powerful to make up for all their restrictions.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

GotLag posted:

Here's a spreadsheet. Save a copy and see how the effective DPS changes when you increase/decrease the defender's evasion.

Range is just there for ease of comparison, it plays no part in hit probability.

Even at the default corvette evasion of 60%, a large red laser has the same damage output as a single medium, albeit with an increased range. Mass drivers have it even worse, a large turret has lower DPS than medium.

At 90% evasion, ignoring potential accuracy bonuses from other equipment, none of the large turrets can hit the corvette at all.

Is that reflected in-game, though, or is it just some dude's elaborate but (shall we say... :smug:) "inaccurate" pet project?

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
^^
Those are the formulas from the Wiki.

GotLag posted:

The other side of the medal is that an endgame corvette has like 600 EHP for 200 minerals, while a battleship has 25000 EHP for 1500 minerals. Even against decently armor penetrating weapons the battleship will still have 10k+ EHP. If the enemy packs some decent anti-corvette weapons like flak artillery or missiles you will get _fucked_.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I agree with tech ascension being the strongest path. A lot of that comes down to flesh is weak cyborgs being really good though, since it comes at a more critical point in the game.

Personally I like extremely adaptable with that path, as it stacks with the cyborg bonus. +40% habitability cyborgs is crazy good.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I've just got an Intelligent trait for all my Pops from the Horizon signal event chain. The only difference is that I was an Ascended Synthetic, so now my robots are 30% smarter than normal people are.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Is there a mod that increases the amount of ethos, civic, and trait points in the empire creator screen? I'm building a bunch of custom races/empires and I feel a little constrained by the default numbers. I did a quick search and most seem to give the randomly spawned empires either 99 or 0 points, so I guess I'm looking for one that allows me to transcend the limits for custom empires, while leaving the ones that are automatically generated alone.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Why do you all rate habitability bonuses that high? You can usually get the genetic modification tech even before cruisers, at which point you can differentiate your species into different habitability preferences and can treat every type of planet as 90%. There will occasionally be some confused pop wandering over to a planet they're not suited for, but they usually leave quickly, and they're certainly not worse than the pops who absolutely have to follow an opposite ethos in your empire, 20% happiness be damned.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?

misguided rage posted:

Sectors are pretty dumb, but why would you tell them they're allowed to replace buildings and then get mad about them replacing buildings?? If you've already got the worlds sort of set up the way you like them then don't let them replace buildings and at least their ability to actively gently caress things up will be lessened.

Well I guess I had the impression that they would replace things like useless farms as time went on instead of destroying the best buildings in the game to put in stuff they had already destroyed to replace with basically crap. But maybe the planning algorithm in this game is perfect already and I'm just an idiot who can't appreciate its majesty.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Sheriff posted:

Is there a mod that increases the amount of ethos, civic, and trait points in the empire creator screen? I'm building a bunch of custom races/empires and I feel a little constrained by the default numbers. I did a quick search and most seem to give the randomly spawned empires either 99 or 0 points, so I guess I'm looking for one that allows me to transcend the limits for custom empires, while leaving the ones that are automatically generated alone.

I think the only way to do that is through defines, so if you get it, so does the ai when it generates races for your game

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Soup du Journey posted:

Is that reflected in-game, though, or is it just some dude's elaborate but (shall we say... :smug:) "inaccurate" pet project?

peak debt posted:

^^
Those are the formulas from the Wiki.
Oh my god so I just ran a quick test and yeah, I guess that is correct. A ship at 90% evasion will never ever get hit by kinetic arty (and probably all other large mounts short of missiles). Yikes, I really need to double down on being dodgy.

peak debt posted:

The other side of the medal is that an endgame corvette has like 600 EHP for 200 minerals, while a battleship has 25000 EHP for 1500 minerals. Even against decently armor penetrating weapons the battleship will still have 10k+ EHP. If the enemy packs some decent anti-corvette weapons like flak artillery or missiles you will get _fucked_.
All the same, though, it's probably not a good idea to get into a capital ship slugging match with fallen empires, though. Their chassis have more guns, so it's more efficient to make theirs miss rather than bring more of your own.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Soup du Journey posted:

I think the only way to do that is through defines, so if you get it, so does the ai when it generates races for your game

Interesting, thanks for the info. I wonder if I can mess with the defines file, create my custom empires, save them, then restore the nonmodified defines. I guess I'll give it a shot and see.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Sheriff posted:

Interesting, thanks for the info. I wonder if I can mess with the defines file, create my custom empires, save them, then restore the nonmodified defines. I guess I'll give it a shot and see.
You'll be able to save the race in the creator that way, but if you quit out and revert to the defaults, Stellaris might not let you start a game, since now your race's picks go over the default limits. I think I recall running into this problem when I tried to create a custom race by editing user_empire_designs.txt (which accomplishes pretty much the same thing).

I think if you want something really out there, you might have to save your game the moment you start and just edit your save file.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Soup du Journey posted:

I used the formula and numbers from the wiki, so it's as good or bad as those are. Even if the weapon stats are slightly off the magnitude of the effect is still there to see.

peak debt posted:

There's a lot not on that spreadsheet as it's only for demonstrating evasion. It's important to note that corvettes only carry small weaponry, and when you're fighting large ships, small weapons' lack of armour penetration is going to compound their reduced DPS and range.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Soup du Journey posted:

Oh my god so I just ran a quick test and yeah, I guess that is correct. A ship at 90% evasion will never ever get hit by kinetic arty (and probably all other large mounts short of missiles). Yikes, I really need to double down on being dodgy.

All the same, though, it's probably not a good idea to get into a capital ship slugging match with fallen empires, though. Their chassis have more guns, so it's more efficient to make theirs miss rather than bring more of your own.

The correct way to handle FEs seems to be engaging at max possible range for me. Anything else and I'll suffer hilarious losses even when sporting a higher fleet power. Better off sniping and retreating and maybe having to deoccupy a few planets before pushing back than losing half your fleet imo.

And don't FEs bring destroyers? What kind of weapons do they use on those? Cause my flak armed destroyers and cruisers make a literal death wall at flak's max range out of anything smaller than a cruiser. Being able to avoid all the large guns isn't worth anything if you get gibbed as soon as the enemy is at 40 range.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
You need hundreds of corvettes to get to a fleet power level that the spam/rush strategy pans out. They won't magically beat a AE fleet with 50k more fleet power, just like battleships won't either. Same thing with Cruisers. You can alter this by making sure to get your Cruisers in real close by choosing the system entry point but you can do the same for max range based Battleships.

The short answer is that most decently thought out ship designs work so long as you have enough of them. I don't think there's one end-all-be-all choice, as much as most of us min/maxers would prefer.

I actually think empire design is the most important factor; things like kinetic artillery get huge benefits from really highly stacked fire rate, which a militarist synth build brings in spades. Alternatively spiritualism brings tons of additional evasion, which makes Cruisers/Corvettes more viable.

Play to your strengths.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 18, 2017

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Truga posted:

The correct way to handle FEs seems to be engaging at max possible range for me. Anything else and I'll suffer hilarious losses even when sporting a higher fleet power.

Interesting. I've had the opposite experience.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Mazz posted:

Alternatively spiritualism brings tons of additional evasion, which makes Cruisers/Corvettes more viable.

Play to your strengths.

Yeah if you are lucky enough to get a chosen one admiral, plus the precog interface, you will have absolutely insane evasion for your small ships. One of the temp bonuses from the shroud can also be evasion in addition and if you stack all those bonuses up plus the normal +evasion stuff you'll be over 100 easy.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I'll test it tomorrow when I get home from work but it seems like the way to fix strike craft might be to give them high evasion, like 90%+

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Modding question: Has anyone figured out a way to check what modules a ship has? I can't seem to find out how to, say, set a flag so you know a science ship has one particular type of lab- I'm trying to add propaganda ships that influence the ethics attraction of the systems they pass through. I tried creating a new ship class just seems to default it to being military rather than civilian (even with is_civilian = yes).

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Soup du Journey posted:

To be pedantic, kinetic artillery on destroyers can still hit 90% evasion corvettes. I think a destroyer with level 4 sensors and sentient AI has +28 tracking? That would give them 13% chance to hit. Which is still poo poo, of course. 19% with fleet academy bonus.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Mister Adequate posted:

Well, that's a nice enough card draw on Day One :staredog:

I am almost sure that Terrestrial Sculpting shows up earlier now.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've been playing that giant Star Trek mod recently and holy poo poo I am LOVING the way it's handling ships. The short version is that they massively jacked up the fleet cap cost of each type as well as cranking up the mineral cost of building them. Tier 1 poo poo ships take 2 cap and cost ~250 minerals, for example.

The end result is that fleets feel much more like a group of ships that you actually care about rather than a stack of disposable commodities that you really only end up paying attention to the annual cost of replacing attrition.

Does anyone know of a a mod that does something similar for the base game?

That seems cool as hell and I'll definitely give that a try.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Played the star trek mod quite a bit to tide me over till utopia, it's really quite good and like I said before, probably the best star trek strategy game ever made, which is equal parts depressing and impressive.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

BurntCornMuffin posted:

How early are we talking?

General rule of thumb is: strap on the biggest engine you got, shields only (capacitor if you have it), and the fotm guns (kinetics/AC is probably best since corvettes are fast enough that the enemy shields will likely still be up once they're in range, a lot of goons like energy torps later on). Evasion is your tank on these, the shields are only a fallback, so don't sacrifice evasion for shields. Psionic Transcendence gives a great evasion bonus, but you won't hit that too quickly unless you're rushing Unity. Destroyers are a difficult target as they have tracking bonuses specifically to counter corvettes, but bigger, slower, stupider ships can be swarmed.

Early on I actually like to just slam out corvettes with nothing but guns and power. No ancillary systems no upgrades except for guns. Only when I reach fleet cap and require additional power per naval point do I actually refit them to minmax for power.

The mineral cost for the bells and whistles is generally less effective since you only get a couple points of evade out of the whole deal and maybe another 80 effective HP.

Until you start getting the good poo poo, like shield capacitors (which are huuge on shielded ships), the upgrades are just some more EHP and small bonuses around the edges. Even then I like to keep a stripped down offensive budget corvette design chilling in case I need to pump up fleet somewhere really fast. A torp corvette with guns and power bolted on sitting on a warp snare + space port can do appreciable damage to an invading force and can be scrambled very quickly if you just queue 2-3 of them from every space port you own. If the bad guys are loaded with flak and poo poo this will obviously not work very well so ymmv.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 18, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Growth rate and no manual growing are the only real advantages. You edge a 5% in mineral production with Industrious Very Strong Proles at +35% conpared to Share the Burden synths' 30%, Earthbound Thrifty equals them in Energy at 30%, and Erudite Natural (Science) workers equal out too at 35% since Synth Governors give 5% as well. All the while the Synths are 10% happier, have 15% more Fleet Capacity, are immortal, have perfect habitability out of the box, do more damage with their ships, research faster, and cost 25% less Consumer Goods and Energy to maintain. I do like to give my to-be-synthed races Fast Breeders though, just to help them propagate before they're converted.

I also think Hive Minds in general are significantly underpowered. Their compensation for not being able to join Factions is a single Influence point, but you can get a lot more than just one point from Factions. And Inwards Perfection totally eclipses their Unity gain. I was expecting their civics to be a lot more powerful to make up for all their restrictions.

I don't think it's as cut and dry as you state. Habitability doesn't matter since I can tailor the species to whatever planet they're currently living on. I have 8 trait points to play with which means I can be as flexible as necessary. One thing you missed was that the uplifted species traits can't be modified or added, which seems a bit silly and might be worth modding, but you're also tossing in edicts and policies which disrupts things a bit.

So avoiding edicts and focusing just on traits you can modify, here's the differences:

Minerals: Industrious + Very Strong + Nerve Stapled = +30% vs +20% for Synths, Genemodding
Food: Agrarian + Nerve Stapled = +25% vs Irrelevant for Synths, Synths
Energy: Thrifty = +15% vs +20% for Synths (Minus the additional cost of running synths), Bust
Research: Erudite + Natural Scientist = +35% vs +20% (plus 5% Research Speed), Genemodding
Happiness: Nerve Stapling / Hivemind = Irrelevant vs +10% for Synths, Genemodding
Habitability: Custom Planet vs 200% for Synths, Bust

Plus I can make them all fertile to have a 30% growth rate before converting them to whatever task I want.

The synth empire is definitely powerful, but the flexibility of genemodding is pretty awesome.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

A Xenophobe FE just gutted my economy, I was building mining stations all over an energy-rich cluster of systems and suddenly I discover their borders a system over, and they informed me I was gonna be demolishing that frontier outpost or there'd be trouble. I was in the red with 0 cash for a couple of years there and it really put a crimp on my expansion :gonk:

Also, I really feel that Fanatical Purifiers should have automatically closed borders with everyone. It's a pain in the arse having to go through everyone I meet and telling them to stay out.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

thatdarnedbob posted:

Well I guess I had the impression that they would replace things like useless farms as time went on instead of destroying the best buildings in the game to put in stuff they had already destroyed to replace with basically crap. But maybe the planning algorithm in this game is perfect already and I'm just an idiot who can't appreciate its majesty.

Never trust the sector ai to not replace good stuff with bad stuff.

So... don't let it.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

JuniperCake posted:

Yeah if you are lucky enough to get a chosen one admiral, plus the precog interface, you will have absolutely insane evasion for your small ships. One of the temp bonuses from the shroud can also be evasion in addition and if you stack all those bonuses up plus the normal +evasion stuff you'll be over 100 easy.

In my current SP game I got lucky enough to get the anomaly that gave me the option for permanently upgraded engine tech or a free science ship. Between that and clearing out the Enigmatic fortress, without even taking admirals into account my battleships can get 36% evasion. I'm pretty sure that with gale speed and a psionic admiral I could push what, 50% evasion on battleships?

Basically my fleet is like the one edge-case where missiles are the best late-game option for fighting against it.

Edit: holy poo poo, a chosen one admiral gives a +30 evasion rate!? gently caress, I need to get one of those.

Rorac fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 18, 2017

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Whenever I get a new planet that exceeds my core cap I hold onto just long enough to queue up most of planet tiles worth of development before handing it over to a sector. Like literally stack the build queue until you are seeing a tiny #15 marking one of the tiles. Then hand it over to the sector governor.

Although I haven't monitored closely enough to make sure this works perfectly. If telling the AI "don't redevelop tiles" implies "but go ahead and dump the build queue" then LOL at me I guess.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Does the expansion stand on its own, or do you guys think it is best to do the standard "wait for a patch before you buy the DLC" move?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Does the expansion stand on its own, or do you guys think it is best to do the standard "wait for a patch before you buy the DLC" move?

If you liked Stellaris before the expansion, go ahead and buy Utopia.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Stellaris enjoyment is extremely subjective. From an objective point of view stellaris still suffers from a lot of bizarre and unbalanced mechanics, some really bad interface/micromanagement issues, and so much of the new stuff feels unfinished or not fleshed out to nearly its full potential. Subjectively, I've been having a lot of fun and Utopia has been consuming most all my free time since it was released.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Utopia is great and if you like Stellaris you should absolutely buy it now.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Rorac posted:

In my current SP game I got lucky enough to get the anomaly that gave me the option for permanently upgraded engine tech or a free science ship.
Surely you didn't pass on the chance for a free science ship?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I feel like Stellaris is an expansion fleshing out war and an expansion fleshing out diplomacy away from a truly great game

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

LordAbaddon posted:

I feel like Stellaris is an expansion fleshing out war and an expansion fleshing out diplomacy away from a truly great game

99% sure that's next. I think by summer the game might finally be "finished"

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a console command to add experience or levels to leaders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

99% sure that's next. I think by summer the game might finally be "finished"

I'd be surprised if it was by summer or is that their DLC schedule. Would expect more of a fall/holiday release since right now they are mostly focused on the interim bugfix QOL patch.

• Locked thread