Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I ended up getting the 14 cup from bed bath and beyond for $160. Blades should be good right? Excited to try it out. Thanks for the info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

tonedef131 posted:

Has anyone received their recall replacement blade yet? I filled out the request form back in December and haven't gotten so much as an email.

I got mine last week, after requesting in December

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

snucks posted:

So now that I have a Zojirushi rice cooker and access to several high-quality asian grocery stores, what brand of rice should I purchase? I'm not planning on making sushi with it or anything, just mainly as a sidedish adjacent to curry/eggs/meat/fish/stir fry that's a step up from trader joe's basmati I've been cooking in a pot.

definitely use a local Asian grocery store so you can get a good selection and a decent price. both will be lacking in most stores and online venues.

a lot of the varieties you'll find are medium grain; with a zoji my personal preference is short grain white rice. koshihikari is one of the more popular types, and is made by a number of growers. it's (very) expensive if you get it from Japan, but it's also grown in California. ive had good luck with tamaki gold signature series, but the most recent bag we got was kagayaki select, and that's turned out relatively well. there may be other decent options, but in any event check out not just the brand but what's actually being sold

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Gozinbulx posted:

I ended up getting the 14 cup from bed bath and beyond for $160. Blades should be good right? Excited to try it out. Thanks for the info.

If it has steel rivets you're bad. If the blades are molded into the plastic, you're good!

sandball
Jan 6, 2006

tonedef131 posted:

Has anyone received their recall replacement blade yet? I filled out the request form back in December and haven't gotten so much as an email.

I literally just got mine in the mail yesterday.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

If it has steel rivets you're bad. If the blades are molded into the plastic, you're good!

That reminds me, I need to send mine in still.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Gozinbulx posted:

Also if anyone has any experience with the Breville Sous Chef I'd also like to hear it. Looks good too but considerably more expensive.
It's awesome but really big and heavy. Comes with a good number of extra attachments and the micro insert is really good for homemade mayonnaise.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

tonedef131 posted:

just got mine like a week or so ago, submitted on 12/15

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Classic Thermapens are on sale for only $59 right now, brand new. This is by far the cheapest I've ever seen them for a non-refurb item, and it's available in six colors, unlike a lot of their sales that are limited to a single color. If you don't have one, jump on this!

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

The Midniter posted:

Classic Thermapens are on sale for only $59 right now, brand new. This is by far the cheapest I've ever seen them for a non-refurb item, and it's available in six colors, unlike a lot of their sales that are limited to a single color. If you don't have one, jump on this!

Sweet, thanks for this. I've been using a poo poo thermometer forever and am psyched to get a Thermapen!

EDIT: I picked red

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

What is the difference between classic and mk4 (or whatever the new one is)?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

taqueso posted:

What is the difference between classic and mk4 (or whatever the new one is)?

Mk4:
-Waterproof
-Backlit screen
-Auto-rotating screen
-Motion-sensing sleep, wake mode.

Classic:
-Water-resistant
-Not backlit screen
-Fixed screen orientation
-No-motion sensing. Just open and close to turn it on/off. And an auto-sleep if left open too long, which requires close and open to turn on again.

Mk4 features are nice, but not worth the extra money for most people.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

TheQuietWilds posted:

Sweet, thanks for this. I've been using a poo poo thermometer forever and am psyched to get a Thermapen!

EDIT: I picked red

Ditto, and ditto.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

.Z. posted:

Classic:
-Water-resistant

From what I understood, the classic isn't even water resistant. The MK3 was spash proof. I have a classic however and it's been going strong for maybe 10 years? IDK it's been a long while anyway.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Croatoan posted:

From what I understood, the classic isn't even water resistant. The MK3 was spash proof. I have a classic however and it's been going strong for maybe 10 years? IDK it's been a long while anyway.

Maybe earlier models? The current 'Classic' says it's resistant on it's detail page.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Oh well, I had to cancel my scuba-cooking class since I decided to get the classic. Thanks for the heads up on the sale.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

taqueso posted:

Oh well, I had to cancel my scuba-cooking class since I decided to get the classic. Thanks for the heads up on the sale.

Yeah, I don't see why you would need a waterproof insta-read thermometer...

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Any one have suggestions for a mezzulana and board/bowl for salad making? Looking to get one as a gift.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

.Z. posted:

Any one have suggestions for a mezzulana and board/bowl for salad making? Looking to get one as a gift.

Get a bat'leth.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The Midniter posted:

Very strongly considering buying one of these. Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: Aaaaand bought! Mine's blue. :D

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 19, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Slimy Hog posted:

Yeah, I don't see why you would need a waterproof insta-read thermometer...

The Classic is still waterproof enough that I can hand wash the entire unit with no problem. I've even dropped it into water briefly and it was okay, but I think I might've been lucky there. The Mark 4 was meant to be able to fall into a pot of water indefinitely and survive.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
What's a good hot plate or other portable appliance to heat up food? Barring that, a good portable stove that can be bundled in with luggage and used in a hotel?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hmm is a hotel going to be okay with you bringing in a hot plate?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Is there any reason they wouldn't be?

Though the question is badly worded; I'm sort of looking for both though I'll settle for just the stove if it can do the job of both.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Many hotels have fire codes about people bringing in cooking appliances, maybe ask them first

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

Is there any reason they wouldn't be?

Though the question is badly worded; I'm sort of looking for both though I'll settle for just the stove if it can do the job of both.

They are almost certainly not allowed. That doesn't mean you couldn't do it and put it away when your room is being serviced.

If you're not staying at a specific hotel already, you could also just look at a place like a Residence Inn or a Townplace Suites, which has a kitchen in it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

All right, after doing some reading I guess it's out for hotel usage. I still do want one for general usage though. Preferably something that doesn't require a gas canister to lug around.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Get an induction burner.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
You can't take pressurized gas cylinders on aircraft, so that's right out if you're travelling by air at all.
Liquid-fuel stoves (e.g. camp stoves) can fly, but you need to empty them COMPLETELY of fuel and do things like rinse the fuel container with cooking oil to remove all of the volatile burny stuff. Airplanes hate volatile burny stuff.
Fire inside a building is also just generally a bad idea. Every camp stove I've seen says in big letters "Do Not Use Indoors".

Hot plates draw plenty of current and you'd run the risk of tripping a breaker in a hotel room, which would draw attention to your almost-certainly-prohibited-by-the-hotel attempts at in-room cooking.

I'm struggling to come up with use cases for portable electric hot plates. Maybe if you work at a jobsite that has reliable power supply but no kitchen facilities (besides maybe a microwave)? Packing it up and travelling every day seems like a hassle.

I've lived in crappy basements that had 2-burner electric hotplates and no oven (not even a toaster oven, landlords are cheap). Those always seem to be the cheapest little thing available so I can't recommend a brand for you. Walmart, Home Depot, etc. sell them in single- and double-burner models for less than $100, maybe browse some physical stores to see what's out there?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

portable inductions are fine and are essential for good coffee. Asking for hot water doesn't give you a hot enough tap, even if they grab it from the kitchen. You won't trip a breaker and if you're worried just unplug the fridge.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

just don't take it in your checked baggage, the TSA doesn't really like things that look like a coil of wire via xray/mmwave

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

They're not going to like it any more on the luggage scan, and you won't be around to explain it.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
That's what he meant by checked baggage. It ought to be in the carry-on

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Oh so now you're telling me I should be reading all the words? Who has time for that?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
We have to replace our crock pot is something like an Instant Pot Pressure cooker a good alternative? anyone used one and happy with it?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Guys I get the point already I won't take it to hotels

An induction burner sounds like what I want if I want to take something to the office and heat stuff up in the break room. Any ones that particularly stand out?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Doorknob Slobber posted:

We have to replace our crock pot is something like an Instant Pot Pressure cooker a good alternative? anyone used one and happy with it?

I have one and it works great. A ton of other people in the thread have them too and everyone seems to like theirs.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

AnonSpore posted:

Guys I get the point already I won't take it to hotels

An induction burner sounds like what I want if I want to take something to the office and heat stuff up in the break room. Any ones that particularly stand out?

If nobody chimes in with a specific model recommendation, check the Amazon reviews of various ones to see if any of them have an annoying high pitched whine. Some of the older or cheaper ones are supposedly very grating.

Also, don't take it to a hotel.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
i think costco sells an induction burner that's well regarded, though i wouldn't use it in a hotel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Talk to me about using rice cookers for steaming! I hate rice, but I want to make easy steamed broccoli, so I got one of those $20 piece of poo poo steamers. It works, but do I need to buy something better to get more reliable steam cooking? I found this guide online that says to steam frozen broccoli for 3-4 minutes. If I do 4 minutes, the broccoli is really crunchy, like inedible crunchy. Is this guide wrong, or is a better rice cooker going to steam vegetables correctly?