Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The text bug came with 1.06 in asian regions and still made it to the west unfixed a while later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Endgame spoiler question: If you choose NOT to delete your save when given the choice, is that the only opportunity you get, or can you go back and choose to delete it later? It's admittedly a silly question because I'd decided to be Team Delete from the get-go, but heard that there's some information archives, etc. you get by not deleting. Of course the text for them is just a googling away, but at this point I'm more curious about whether the choice is a one-time opportunity or not than I am concerned with anything practical.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Re-do the thing that gives you that option if you want to do it once you're done with the game.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Johnny Landmine posted:

Endgame spoiler question: If you choose NOT to delete your save when given the choice, is that the only opportunity you get, or can you go back and choose to delete it later? It's admittedly a silly question because I'd decided to be Team Delete from the get-go, but heard that there's some information archives, etc. you get by not deleting. Of course the text for them is just a googling away, but at this point I'm more curious about whether the choice is a one-time opportunity or not than I am concerned with anything practical.

You can chose to delete it later, but you'll need to make it through ending E again, credits fight and all.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Thanks, y'all, that's what I thought but I figured it wouldn't be completely beyond Yoko to make it a one-time opportunity.

Also that works out nicely because I'll probably end up wanting to play the credits again.

e: I haven't played Overwatch in a minute and I want a NieR av but there are like two pictures of Jackass in existence :/

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Apr 18, 2017

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Welp.

Just figured out something that had been a loose end bugging me. Or at least, I think I figured it out.

So, early on, you're told that the YoRHa contact in the resistance had been out of touch. Never comes up again. Which I thought was weird, only now, thinking back?

That was almost certainly Jackass. And the reason she was out of touch was probably the setting up explosives bit, combined with the generally being Jackass bit. Thus, no followup to the resistance contact question, because you found her, and she's fine.

She mentions she heard about B2 from "our leader", which seemed like it was Anemone phoning ahead when I first played, but looking back? Probably Commander White filling a friend in on some of her best and brightest.

Another mystery solved, I suppose.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There's a log you can find near the end of the game that basically confirms your suspicion (and explains pretty explicitly why that is).

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I've just got the last 'real' ending and I'm going back over the game an wrapping up side quests and I have a question: The suicidal Machines that show up after the Goliath attack on the city, do they count as side quests? They have the 'new quest' marker but they never give you a quest before they kill themselves and they respawn whenever load the chapter.

Am I doing something wrong or are they not actually quests? Are the markers just to call attention to them?

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

Veotax posted:

I've just got the last 'real' ending and I'm going back over the game an wrapping up side quests and I have a question: The suicidal Machines that show up after the Goliath attack on the city, do they count as side quests? They have the 'new quest' marker but they never give you a quest before they kill themselves and they respawn whenever load the chapter.

Am I doing something wrong or are they not actually quests? Are the markers just to call attention to them?

They're not a real quest, they just have an event marker on the map. I have 60/60 sidequest completion and they're still there.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Righto', thanks.

Quick story question (major spoilers): Is the start of the game actually 2E's first time meeting 9S, or has she killed him a few times before that and he doesn't remember meeting her?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The latter

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Veotax posted:

Righto', thanks.

Quick story question (major spoilers): Is the start of the game actually 2E's first time meeting 9S, or has she killed him a few times before that and he doesn't remember meeting her?

It is hella implied she has done this repeatedly. Watch some of the early cutscenes now and it's real obvious.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's directly said that 9S and 2B go on missions together all the time at the start of the game on the Bunker

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Guys, you don't even have to walk up to a terminal to save. Just open up your menu real quick and hit A like, twice, for a quick save whenever you're anywhere near a save station.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Finished this yesterday. One hell of a ride. Everything from the Tower onwards is just insane, and unlike anything I've seen before. A+, would feel existential despair again.

It's hard to pick out any favorites from this game. Top candidates are definitely the slow and gradual awakening of the Pods, the most emotional credits roll of all time, all the interface fuckery of the songstress boss fight, the Jackass summary of the game, the rapid protagonist switching in the Tower, 2B's long and agonizing virus infection or the fact that you defeat the formed personality of the machine network by overloading its evolution until it inevitably fragments into conflict (I love that I could write this sentence). I would definitely echo the statement that the sidequests are unusually good, too, and definitely an integral part of the game overall. It's amazing how many sidequests are essentially used to hide plot details in plain sight.

There's a couple of things I'm not sure about... naturally. Would be kinda weird if you finish this game WITHOUT at least a little bit of confusion...

For instance: What were the machines trying to do? From what we know in the end, the Machines were an evolving alien weapon, which eventually destroyed its creators. In their need to evolve even further, they deliberately introduced imperfections and mutations into their system, and started imitating humanity in a variety of ways. It seems like they felt they were fundamentally lacking something, despite their networked nature and their immortality, something that they believed humans to have. So besides all these mutations, they wanted to get at the original humans on the moon; except they found out at SOME point that humanity itself was extinct, and there were only androids around on behalf of some mysterious committee. But still, there was some data left on the moon, and they wanted that too. At the same time, they genuinely wanted to destroy the androids (...aaaaand kinda keep them around as an additional impetus for evolution, I guess?).

The red girls you encounter are a representation of the entire machine network, nicknamed N2. It seems that A2 and Pod destroy it by splintering its personality, turning it against itself; but I guess that didn't destroy the network itself, but only its most clearly formulated will or something. Dudes like Adam still float around in there, somewhere.

It seems to me that the machine's goals in the end are like this: they want someone to unlock the resource units, and the "special prize" is being invited on the ark along with them. Note that this invitation does not require them being alive. That's why they lure 9S inside; also, presumably, as a last attempt at getting closer to humans. A2 is pretty much unplanned, so she gets hacked by the immortal red girls directly; it also seems that, in ending C, she actually manages to destroy the machine network for good - no ark there, it seems.
But I have no idea what exactly the Tower itself is for. A2 finds that it's a cannon aimed at the moon; do they want to destroy the remains of humanity for real? Do they just want to get there? Did A2 get it wrong, and it was always intended to be an ark from the beginning? Did the machines change their mind(s) when the Red Girls were ostensibly destroyed? This ominuous committee that deliberately left a backdoor in YoRHa's defenses - they definitely know about it, but how much do they really know?

QUESTIONSSSSSS

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Eating a mackeral kills you. Good to know. Now I have about an hour's worth of gameplay I HAVE TO DO OVER gently caress YOU JACKASS.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

So I just started to play this game on PS4 and I have a rather odd problem: The settings menu seems to be just a garbled mess. I can choose and adjust stuff, but I don't know what it is I'm changing. If the menu setting tutorial on the Bunker wasn't guided it may have been impossible. Is it supposed to be like this? I've heard some interesting things on the nature of this game so I'm not sure if this is intentional or not.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

And Tyler Too! posted:

Eating a mackeral kills you. Good to know. Now I have about an hour's worth of gameplay I HAVE TO DO OVER gently caress YOU JACKASS.

It sure does. In the future save before and after you do any sidequest because Nier isn't above ending the game for a bad joke.

SettingSun posted:

So I just started to play this game on PS4 and I have a rather odd problem: The settings menu seems to be just a garbled mess. I can choose and adjust stuff, but I don't know what it is I'm changing. If the menu setting tutorial on the Bunker wasn't guided it may have been impossible. Is it supposed to be like this? I've heard some interesting things on the nature of this game so I'm not sure if this is intentional or not.

It's not intentional, the settings menu is busted for a lot of people, myself included. There's no real fix available sadly.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Torquemadras posted:

QUESTIONSSSSSS

Somebody up above posted a short story that actually appears to answer this all simply.

Basically: The boss you smashed up in Nier 1, a big toy robot, lay in ruins for X number of years while it self-repaired itself. It takes ages to restore itself, attains enlightenment, starts rebuilding itself and combining with more machines, and becomes a machine god, who then usurps control of the alien machines and human androids through a religious awakening. It is suggested in the end of that one that the machines spread their consciousness through the universe, as shown in Nier: Automata's ark ending.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Veotax posted:

Righto', thanks.

She even says something like "why does it always have to end like this" in the final cutscene, while strangling 9S, in endings A and B. That was the first clue to me after ending A that something was up between them.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Somebody up above posted a short story that actually appears to answer this all simply.

Basically: The boss you smashed up in Nier 1, a big toy robot, lay in ruins for X number of years while it self-repaired itself. It takes ages to restore itself, attains enlightenment, starts rebuilding itself and combining with more machines, and becomes a machine god, who then usurps control of the alien machines and human androids through a religious awakening. It is suggested in the end of that one that the machines spread their consciousness through the universe, as shown in Nier: Automata's ark ending.

Pretty much While the machines developed their current status quo on their own it seems like Beepy's "Let us live" command was the original spark that made them overthrow their creators and then proceed into an existence of struggling to find meaning to what living actually is while Beepy himself bails off into space.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Nina posted:

Pretty much While the machines developed their current status quo on their own it seems like Beepy's "Let us live" command was the original spark that made them overthrow their creators and then proceed into an existence of struggling to find meaning to what living actually is while Beepy himself bails off into space.

It's hard to tell precisely whether all of the machines are one consciousness (two?) or if the individual machines you meet are, in fact, individuals. It seems Pascal's machines have the illusion of free will, but it is ultimately overridden without mercy. You could argue that there's only one machine; it just occasionally forgets itself, and takes on a new identity.

...holy poo poo that got really Hindu really fast.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It's hard to tell precisely whether all of the machines are one consciousness (two?) or if the individual machines you meet are, in fact, individuals. It seems Pascal's machines have the illusion of free will, but it is ultimately overridden without mercy. You could argue that there's only one machine; it just occasionally forgets itself, and takes on a new identity.

That's actually an interesting way to look at it. Maybe just like how all machine civilizations are ways for the network to experience various forms of government every individual machine is more like one existence experiencing different lives through countless eyes. Thought there's a philosophical argument to be had about whether that'd actually be any different than each of them being individuals anyway.

Stuff like this is my jam.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I finished Ending B and I'm past a very important part in Route C and I have a question. Spoilers for up to maybe two hours into Route C: Why does 2B get upset about killing 9S after the fight with Eve? Isn't all of his consciousness and personality (up until that fight) sitting on a server in the Bunker somewhere, ready to enter another android body? I think he even mentions this and she replies with "you'll lose the you that you are now" or something similar. Just seemed like an overreaction on her part, considering the tutorial ends with 2B and 9S self-destructing and waking up in the Bunker because of their backed up data. I mean, up until the Bunker is destroyed, why do any of the androids care about dying if they regularly back up and restore their minds? I've been trying not to look it up since I don't want to inadvertently spoil something from Routes C-E, but I think it's a pretty important plot element to not understand at this point.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

GANDHITRON posted:

I finished Ending B and I'm past a very important part in Route C and I have a question. Spoilers for up to maybe two hours into Route C: Why does 2B get upset about killing 9S after the fight with Eve? Isn't all of his consciousness and personality (up until that fight) sitting on a server in the Bunker somewhere, ready to enter another android body?

Imagine that you are with someone that you love very dearly. Imagine that some intense event occurs that deeply furthers the bond the two of you share. Now, imagine that, the next day, that person has no recollection of the event. They don't know it happened, and even if they did know, it's like someone telling them a story instead of them having truly experienced it. How does this make you feel?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

GANDHITRON posted:

I finished Ending B and I'm past a very important part in Route C and I have a question. Spoilers for up to maybe two hours into Route C: Why does 2B get upset about killing 9S after the fight with Eve? Isn't all of his consciousness and personality (up until that fight) sitting on a server in the Bunker somewhere, ready to enter another android body? I think he even mentions this and she replies with "you'll lose the you that you are now" or something similar. Just seemed like an overreaction on her part, considering the tutorial ends with 2B and 9S self-destructing and waking up in the Bunker because of their backed up data. I mean, up until the Bunker is destroyed, why do any of the androids care about dying if they regularly back up and restore their minds? I've been trying not to look it up since I don't want to inadvertently spoil something from Routes C-E, but I think it's a pretty important plot element to not understand at this point.

Android "culture" as we glimpse it heavily values one's memories. Sure, you can be born again without them, but that destroys the "you" who you were when you had those memories.

There's also more history there than you may be aware of at present. Your question may get answered on the route you're on.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

GANDHITRON posted:

Keep playing. You'll get more context.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

And Tyler Too! posted:

If someone gets tripped up by this, you only have yourselves to blame.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It has to be some kind of generational divide. I grew up in the era of floppy disks and DOS; manually saving at every possible opportunity is second nature to me, even in the day and age of autosaves.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Self destructing blows away parts of the Kainé costume.

What little costume there is in the first place.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Self destructing blows away parts of the Kainé costume.

What little costume there is in the first place.

What you can even remove from that outfit without it stopping counting as an outfit :psyduck:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It's a camisole, and an undersized one at that. How.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It blows away the flappy bits of the camisole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqJ9eosh9M8

46m 44s

Even Taro didn't know it could get blown away, apparently.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 18, 2017

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
This game would have been a lot better without the awkward forced perspective changes. It's fine for the shooter sections but it's usually really awkward when it happens in the on foot sections and they really seem to overuse it.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I didn't mind it that much overall but the top down perspective in that one boss fight and when it does the weird non orthogonal movement in flight mode were pretty bad.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Vermain posted:

It has to be some kind of generational divide. I grew up in the era of floppy disks and DOS; manually saving at every possible opportunity is second nature to me, even in the day and age of autosaves.

Yeah, I made some comments to this effect in the ps4 thread.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Vermain posted:

While first playing Dark Souls i was kind of nervous because i didn't quite trust the constant auto-save. A deep seated part of my brain really really wants to save manually at any given opportunity.

e:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Antti posted:

She even says something like "why does it always have to end like this" in the final cutscene, while strangling 9S, in endings A and B. That was the first clue to me after ending A that something was up between them.

What got me was when he said at the start that he'd uploaded her data first, but hadn't had time to back himself up. He'd be losing an hour or two at the most, but she was acting like it was something irreplaceable, a fate worse than death. At the time, it seemed like a really weird overreaction, but in light of the fact that she's been killing him and essentially 'resetting' him this whole time, it suddenly takes on a whole different meaning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

8-Bit Scholar posted:

If you look into the previous game, Red Eye led the Legion, and the members of the Legion were either forced to submit to the hive mind or essentially die. So while there were individuals, they were under a unified control. Not sure if that plays into what's going on with the Machines, but the feels similar.

RanKizama fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 18, 2017