Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

...and the pitch! posted:

I have really come around on the Dinette Set. Thanks for posting these. It used to be "that horribly drawn comic" but I'm starting to really appreciate the humor. That Union Carbide Air Freshener joke!

computer angel posted:

I've come around too actually. Larson's contempt for midwest suburbanites is palpable. Wikipedia tells me before this comic got it's current name it was originally called Suburban Torture.
I still remember when Dinette Set was first posted, lo those many threads ago, and we all thought it was a "laugh with" situation, not a "laugh at" one. And I can still see how people would think that at a brief glance. But you really don't have to dig deep to realize how much Larson hates these people.

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Sally Forth

The difference in quality between these two comics, both about dealing with a crush, is astounding.

Also, curfew, Bernice? It's college! Nobody gives a poo poo what time you come or go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Archyduke posted:

A Koan: Would the people in Dinette Set like Pluggers, and would the people in Pluggers like the Dinette Set?

Oddly enough, they are actually the same people!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

Also, curfew, Bernice? It's college! Nobody gives a poo poo what time you come or go!
Most dorms have rules on when visitors (particularly opposite sex) are allowed over. No one really follows them, but she's also the RA, so who knows.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Pickles

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Most dorms have rules on when visitors (particularly opposite sex) are allowed over. No one really follows them, but she's also the RA, so who knows.

Bernice has a sworn duty to uphold her status as the most insufferable person alive

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Ghostlight posted:

He's poor because he's lazy #justworld #boomertruths

A child sleeping at 3:00 am instead of wondering about those dang lazy (poor) people is one of the laziest things I have ever seen.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Luann is definitely written by someone who followed all those dorm rules as a matter of course.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Most ethical systems have rules against trying to uncover private medical information without another person's consent, though, and that went out the window quick

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Ah yes, "All by the Martha Stewart brand", which is a thing people say.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Monica isn't really a "people" though.

Mea Culpa
Oct 23, 2005

Ali's House

August 24, 2016

August 26, 2016

August 29, 2016

August 31, 2016

Back to B.C.

In, "wimmens, amiright"?

February 24, 1958

February 25, 1958

February 26, 1958

February 27, 1958

Mea Culpa
Oct 23, 2005

Lucky Cow

April 28, 2003

April 29, 2003

April 30, 2003

May 1, 2003

Spirit of the Staircase

August 4, 2016

August 5, 2016

August 6, 2016

I happen to LOVE grocery shopping, but also suffer from serious hermit mode, so I relate to both Mumford and Matt in these panels.

Mea Culpa fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 18, 2017

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Mea Culpa posted:

Ali's House

August 26, 2016

Girl is stoned out of her loving gourd

Mea Culpa
Oct 23, 2005

kidcoelacanth posted:

Girl is stoned out of her loving gourd

Hah! Yeah, I was reaching for a description but that fits perfectly.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kennel posted:

Fingerpori

-Are pipes still clogged?
-I called a sewer opener
-Meow

Viemärin = Sewer's
Aukaisija = Opener
Viemäri = Sewer
Naukaisija = Meower

I like it when they're easy to localize

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Classic Flash Gordon

2000 Spiderman

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Seahag

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Real easy to tell what order to read this in. Nice job, Brooke, professional cartoonist.
"Your Computer," an old melting and vibrating CRT, and several different fonts. If there was a typo in the tagline, this may have been the Boycest of cartoons.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Well there goes any chance of towel folding. If there was a story coming where Toby has a torrid affair as she realizes she regrets marrying a much older man and holds some resentment towards him for it, it would be worth missing out on the towel folding. Sadly, that won't happen.

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

"What, you still here? I'm talking to this blonde now."

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
Thanks to science funding and accessible healthcare, something a majority of Americans are vehemently against! :911:

Zits

Yesterday's feet big is met with today's insatiable appetite!

Reply All

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

computer angel posted:

Thanks to science funding and accessible healthcare, something a majority of Americans are vehemently against! :911:
No, most Americans are for those things (or healthcare, at least - polling on science spending is difficult to find beyond people think way more is spent on it than is actually the case), they just vote against people who are vehemently against them.

Hell, the only thing people legitimately opposed in the ACA were 1) having "Obama" in its nickname and 2) the individual mandate. Virtually every other major component is liked by Americans, and it's approved of more than disapproved now.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Endless Mike posted:

they just vote against people who are vehemently against them.

You mean for? Pretend i said this instead because im not actually a hater of Americans. You guys provide us with most of these fine syndicated comics.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

computer angel posted:

You mean for? Pretend i said this instead because im not actually a hater of Americans. You guys provide us with most of these fine syndicated comics.
Er, yes. I mixed that up.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.

Haifisch posted:

2000 Spiderman

I love Newspaper Spiderman.

King Aroo (February 6, 1952)

Nancy (March 24, 1944)

Wash Tubbs (November 22, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (December 21, 1923)

Lil' Abner (August 19, 1937)

Barney Google (December 22, 1922)

Alley Oop (March 23, 1934)

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Endless Mike posted:

RAs at BYU and Bob Jones think she's over the top

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Baldo may have either a bad teacher or a learning disability:

Wizard of Id

Big Nate

I like where this is going, but I want them to cut that last-panel narration poo poo right out.

special TUESDAY Wallace the Brave update?

Curtis commits blasphemy by having a barber strip with no barber signs.

Maslovo
Oct 12, 2016

Haifisch posted:

2000 Spiderman

:spidey: "The cops are here! Here frightened shopkeeper, you hold this violent criminals gun while I leave!"

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I'd add a 'Dethany from On the Fastrack' label to that Big Nate strip, but couldn't find an edit with that on the first page, so laziness wins.

Anyway, I was at a Barnes & Noble the other day, picking through their magazine selection, and one with the title Creeps caught my eye. I pulled it down, flipped through the first few pages (it turned out to be a horror comics anthology), and found the following in the letters column, so I bought it to share with the thread.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Darthemed posted:

I'd add a 'Dethany from On the Fastrack' label to that Big Nate strip, but couldn't find an edit with that on the first page, so laziness wins.

Anyway, I was at a Barnes & Noble the other day, picking through their magazine selection, and one with the title Creeps caught my eye. I pulled it down, flipped through the first few pages (it turned out to be a horror comics anthology), and found the following in the letters column, so I bought it to share with the thread.

:3:

I still think Jam Esallen is a scourge but this interaction was cute

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

"Create" is a fairly ostentatious term for what he does to Mark Trail.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

But simultaneously of loving course that's how he chooses to describe it.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

OMG. Skunks are nocturnal. Ruthie is going to get rabies. :ohdear:

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

I *feel* like this is a reference to the time Babysitter was babysitting Sarah and she had Niki over and was making out with him and Sarah caught them and blackmailed Babysitter into a life of servitude. The Morgans did find out at some point and straightened their kid out (and now Babysitter is in a life of servitude to Sarah's parents as payment, apparently), but if that's what Babysitter is thinking of, it explains the smile in the last panel.

Luann

Bernice must be worried the RA is going to see him.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I remember when Mark Trail had jetski and ATV chases and Mark straight up murdering dudes in an undersea wreck.

Now we have the thrilling adventures of...Mark renting a car.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Luann is kind of amazing. College-age people running into high school problems and reacting to them like they're middle school age.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Twelve by Pies posted:

I remember when Mark Trail had jetski and ATV chases and Mark straight up murdering dudes in an undersea wreck.

To be fair, Mark has to play it cool while making a decision about damage protection at gunpoint.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

I know it's been said before, but I absolutely love Willie and Modesty's friendship and how it comes down to lil' things like recording a show one of them wanted to watch.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Spider-Man did it better. And it's pretty sad when newspaper Spider-Man did it better.

Dream of the Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

And He Did. (June, 1916)

Outbursts of Everett True (September, 1916)

Doings of the Duffs. (July, 1918, click for big)

The Gay Thirties (August, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (July, 1940, click for big)

Mopsy (December, 1940)

Tweedy (November, 1956, click for big)

Archie (December, 1955, click for big)

Feiffer (1972, click for big)

Andy Capp (May, 1971, click for big)

Wee Pals (October, 1971, click for big)

Dick Tracy (August, 2001, click for big)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Slammy posted:

Spider-Man did it better. And it's pretty sad when newspaper Spider-Man did it better.

"I left my billfold at home!" Almost, but not quite as bad as when he referred to his rent as the 'monthly tariff.'

quote:

And He Died.
:allears:

• Locked thread