Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I don't believe it. That 30% thing seems so arbitrary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Colonial Air Force posted:

Turn on that AA!

Unless I'm in a US DD with Defensive Fire I'll be dead long before my AA takes them all out. Much better to haul arse to the nearest cruiser and let them sweep the skies.

NTRabbit posted:

Doesn't work so well once you hit tier 7, because everything Saipan up has fast enough planes to cross drop a DD with torpedoes, and sometimes even your best set of torpedobeats can't dodge them all.

I've run into a few higher tier CVs and very few of them bother trying to torpedo me unless I'm trying to run them down. I've seen few carrier players that can pull off a good cross drop (because the manual drop interface is terrible) and against those players I find that constant defensive maneuvering usually works. At the very least it sucks in their attention, leaving their fighters unused and allowing my team carrier to run rampant.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
It's apparently a 50% boost.

Each set of AA guns only targets a single enemy squadron anyway, so there's no downside to setting a target. If the squadron you selects isn't in range the guns just fire at will.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I wandered off from the game and I see we have a lot of sexy new content. A few questions tho:

Why do the Japanese have a tree that ends at tier 8? Is it worth it?

Back in the day I remember Japanese and American destroyers were cool and good while the Soviets had mini crusiers as destroyers and mini battleships as cruisers. Are they still decent?

If I only had a slot available and I wanted to put a battleship tree there, would I go American, Japanese or German?

Are American Cruisers still weak as hell after tier V?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Mans posted:

So I wandered off from the game and I see we have a lot of sexy new content. A few questions tho:

Back in the day I remember Japanese and American destroyers were cool and good while the Soviets had mini crusiers as destroyers and mini battleships as cruisers. Are they still decent?

If I only had a slot available and I wanted to put a battleship tree there, would I go American, Japanese or German?

They're still working on a tier 9 and 10 to top that second DD line, why they launched as is I have no idea

Nothing has changed really, though the few good IJN DDs got nerfed.

Depends how you like to play, Germans are the best brawlers though

So the Omaha is now not very good, but the Cleveland is still fine, the Pensacola got a spotting range buff and is great, and plenty of people say the Des Moines is the best t10 cruiser now.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Mans posted:

The tier 7 on the short Japanese tree can fire 16 10km torps in one go which can be crazy fun. The tier 8 is very strange, a gunboat that needs a high skill crew and is nerfed from the elimination of stealth fire. Most Japanese DDs are nigh useless in the current meta though after several nerfs.

Soviets are still broken, which two great DD lines now.

US destroyers aren't as good as they used to be but they are still very good and have the best torpedo builds.

German battleships are a very close range brawling playstyle that is super fun, IJN BBs are the longest range/most accurate. USN battleships until tier 7 aren't as good as they used to be because they are very slow and are no longer the best close range battleships. The North Carolina is awesome though, and USN battleships are very stealthy at high tiers.

USN cruisers are good, but I would say IJN and VMF are equally good albeit with different playstyles.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Blindeye posted:

Just like how people don't learn that defensive AA can panick any CV planes regardless of how effective a ship's AA is.

Or how you have higher detection while on fire.

Or how overmatch mechanics work.

Or how to manual drop as a carrier. Or how bombers move faster after they perform a drop.

Or how flooding slows a ship down....

I feel like reducing speed should reduce damage from flooding.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I feel like the very presence of my mighty Dunkerque should inspire my teammates ships and crews giving them health regeneration and increased critical hit chance.

Actually why aren't crews a thing?

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Then again, imagine if world war 2 was fought by captains on robo-ships.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdrISbwy_zI

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

I feel like the very presence of my mighty Dunkerque should inspire my teammates ships and crews giving them health regeneration and increased critical hit chance.

I unironically love my Dunkerque, it is a hard ship to master but when you play it like a big cruiser is can really bully other cruisers. Then again I am weird like that.

They have been talking about getting special historical captains with unique skills like the Steven Seagal captain for a while, supposedly we might see some this year.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Colonial Air Force posted:

Turn on that AA!

And then follow the failed torpedo planes back to the CV and nuke it.
Real talk I highly recommend against chasing CVs in a DD as even if you catch and kill it you've now placed yourself totally out of position and you'd be usually better served most of the time contesting points. Well unless you're low tiers I guess because low-tier CVs are pretty slow.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Insert name here posted:

Real talk I highly recommend against chasing CVs in a DD as even if you catch and kill it you've now placed yourself totally out of position and you'd be usually better served most of the time contesting points. Well unless you're low tiers I guess because low-tier CVs are pretty slow.

The last time I chased down a CV in a DD it was a Midway in my Benson in a 9v9 dump game, and it detonated me with secondaries :suicide:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks for the replies guys!

Is Priority Target any good? What skills do you recommend for destroyers?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Mans posted:

Thanks for the replies guys!

Is Priority Target any good? What skills do you recommend for destroyers?

It is a great cruiser skill, but for destroyers I prefer getting preventative maintenance first. Last stand is absolutely essential.

Past those, builds get tricky. Gunboat builds tend to focus basic fire training or demotion expert. Support builds use superintendent. Torpedo builds get torpedo rearm.

Concealment is a must have unless you are Russian, though. Russian DDs tend to use speed and range to survive over stealth. They opt for advanced fire training.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

The last time I chased down a CV in a DD it was a Midway in my Benson in a 9v9 dump game, and it detonated me with secondaries :suicide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4xsL2p72pE&t=5m2s

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Equalises player skill.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

MadJackMcJack posted:

I've run into a few higher tier CVs and very few of them bother trying to torpedo me unless I'm trying to run them down. I've seen few carrier players that can pull off a good cross drop (because the manual drop interface is terrible) and against those players I find that constant defensive maneuvering usually works. At the very least it sucks in their attention, leaving their fighters unused and allowing my team carrier to run rampant.

There aren't all that many good high tier CV players in pub games, but when you run into one, you will notice. If you're in a DD without defensive fire, it'll feel kinda like the CV player reached out through your monitor and punched you in the face. Proper cross drops are rare below tier 8 because the Hosho and Zuiho can't really do it anymore (and their slow planes made it annoying back when they could), the Ryujo is kinda bad and at a bad tier, nobody really wants to play the Hiryu too much while the Saipan exists, and Saipan players mostly focus on griefing other CV players. The Shokaku is the first real crossdrop enabler that's somewhat widely played by good players, but it's the Taiho and Hakuryu that you really have to watch out for. The three TB squads ensure that if the CV player knows what they're doing, there is absolutely nothing you can do as a DD, other than press your panic button and hope the CV has better things to do than sit around and wait for it to time out. If you press it too early and nobody comes to help, you lose. It's that simple. It's quite easy for the CV to force you into eating all your HP's worth of torps, and they don't have to wait for you to make a mistake to do it - they can force you into bad situations and from there it's only a question of timing. Not even Soviet DD's that can outrun the torps are completely immune.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 17, 2017

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

I was born and grew up in Baton Rouge so this is extremely my poo poo. The Kidd is the reason I picked this game up in the first place.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

TheFluff posted:

There aren't all that many good high tier CV players in pub games, but when you run into one, you will notice. If you're in a DD without defensive fire, it'll feel kinda like the CV player reached out through your monitor and punched you in the face. Proper cross drops are rare below tier 8 because the Hosho and Zuiho can't really do it anymore (and their slow planes made it annoying back when they could), the Ryujo is kinda bad and at a bad tier, nobody really wants to play the Hiryu too much while the Saipan exists, and Saipan players mostly focus on griefing other CV players. The Shokaku is the first real crossdrop enabler that's somewhat widely played by good players, but it's the Taiho and Hakuryu that you really have to watch out for. The three TB squads ensure that if the CV player knows what they're doing, there is absolutely nothing you can do as a DD, other than press your panic button and hope the CV has better things to do than sit around and wait for it to time out. If you press it too early and nobody comes to help, you lose. It's that simple. It's quite easy for the CV to force you into eating all your HP's worth of torps, and they don't have to wait for you to make a mistake to do it - they can force you into bad situations and from there it's only a question of timing. Not even Soviet DD's that can outrun the torps are completely immune.

Ah, that'll be why then. I've never played in a top tier match (because gently caress the grind) so the highest tier carrier I've faced is tier 8, and I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a Shokaku. Hell, I'd probably say around half my games are carrier-less, and the majority of carriers I do see are tier 5,6 or 7.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
Whats worse than an AFK DD or top tier BB?

An AFK CV!

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Came back to the game last week after a few months' absence and... it's mostly the same. Fletcher status: still Fletcher, except now it has RPF and is even sillier. Key moments of the game include detonating a Hipper from full health and handily turning a losing situation around by sneaking up on their 60k HP Yamato and nuking him near the end of the game.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Just had a 180k damage Zao game which we obviously lost.

Got called out by a dead person for being in a place where he thought I shouldn't be. I pointed out I had just done 140k damage whereas he had died in the first 2 minutes.

"Damage isn't everything".

Well no poo poo Sherlock but maybe if everybody actually did a bit, the game would go a lot better for us?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

OTOH I've seen a fuckton of matches lost because too many people were trying to farm damage instead of capping/defending objectives.

All it takes is one survivor to let the enemy team win on points.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
I hosed up badly yesterday in the T3 RN Cruiser. I was lining up with torps on a ship about to come out from behind an island that blew up before I could get him. Naturally, I see an Emden as the next closest target so I quickly re-angle and double tap 2 to switch to AP and then double click to try to cit him. I notice my viewpoint is very low and then I see a bunch of green triangles emanating from my ship. Whoops, I think, and then to my horror, I see the friendly Kaiser that will be in their path.

I hit him with both salvos and he slowly flooded out, netting me a quick pink boat, and all he said was, "Well, good luck all..." I felt awful about it.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I haven't been playing well this past week myself. I can't tell if it is because of this event, or is it because the meta has changed and I'm not astute enough to notice it or what.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Quick screenshot medley -

Corgi_Fleet_51 racks up an impressive amount of battle achievements:

Durend and I experiencing the joy of the Podvoisky as top tier:

I revisit the Ishizuchi after her range buff and with my 18 point Zao captain, and am pleasantly surprised:

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Burt posted:

Just had a 180k damage Zao game which we obviously lost.

Got called out by a dead person for being in a place where he thought I shouldn't be. I pointed out I had just done 140k damage whereas he had died in the first 2 minutes.

"Damage isn't everything".

Well no poo poo Sherlock but maybe if everybody actually did a bit, the game would go a lot better for us?

He might have been killed doing the right thing while you were farming damage on the wrong guy. Happens all the time.

I have tons of games where I cost my team the game being OOP but still farmed a good deal of damage.

Don't use your damage counter as a measure of contribution

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

MikeC posted:

If his 180k damage were made on 9 DD he can.
On the other hand that is about 1 kurfust worth of damage including fore/repairs.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I get horrible UI flicker in WoWS and none of the solutions I've found posted actually work. :/

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

MikeC posted:

He might have been killed doing the right thing while you were farming damage on the wrong guy. Happens all the time.

I have tons of games where I cost my team the game being OOP but still farmed a good deal of damage.

Dying in 2 minutes is never doing the right thing. It's being in the wrong place, with the wrong ship, at the wrong time whilst doing something stupid.

I fully appreciate you can sit and farm damage and do nothing to help your team but, just this once, it wasn't what I was doing.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Secondaries are currently bugged on the test server and targeting the wrong part of the ship. Notser made this video to warn people in case it makes it onto the live server.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

El Disco posted:

Secondaries are currently bugged on the test server and targeting the wrong part of the ship. Notser made this video to warn people in case it makes it onto the live server.

peak wargaming imo

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
so i spent the last week playing persona and I come back to botes

Im glad everything is right where i left it

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
https://worldofwarships.asia/en/news/announcements/ver-06_4-patchnotes/

Massive buff for the Tirpitz Secondaries.
A lot of ships are getting surprise-buff.

Also French cruisers but they are poo poo so who cares.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The new port looks cool. Also looking forward to French cruisers, and hoping they eventually make them good like German DDs :downs:

Krogort posted:

Main turrets turn time reduced:

Mogami 155mm guns: from 51.4s to 36s

:slick:

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Krogort posted:

I want to come back to the game sometime, this long overdue buff to the Tirpitz (which will instantly make it the best T8 BB IMO) and the slight buffs to Des Moines, Roon and Hindenburg are drawing me in...if they could just make CVs usable again...

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Krogort posted:

So it's now a Bismarck with torpedoes plus all the premium benefits?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Clarence posted:

So it's now a Bismarck with torpedoes plus all the premium benefits?

But it doesn't have hydro so it's balanced :downs:.

My favorite change is this:

quote:

Dunkerque: Adjusted conning tower aft bulkhead armor from 300mm to 250mm

An arbitrary, very minor nerf to the weakest tier 6 BB. Just 'cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
How are the secondaries on the FDG? If I have a secondary-specced Bismarck is it worth it to move up a tier?