Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

dunno what exactly I'd expect if I slow cooked pigs' feet for 12 hours but yeah probably something close to that.

e: that's one hell of a thing to start the new page on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
That's the gelatin, it will turn back to liquid when you heat it back up.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

totalnewbie posted:

That's the gelatin, it will turn back to liquid when you heat it back up.

Yeah, I realize it's gelatine but I was a bit surprised how solid it got.

Better than watery broth I guess. Tasted some of it after cooking it, and it seemed alright.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Nothing like a hot jelly shot you can stand a spoon up in if you let it cool too much to start your morning. That stock looks fantastic, don't diss yourself.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Yeah, I'm jealous. Stock is something I always gently caress up, somehow.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Doing it a slow cooker was pretty easy, so maybe get one of those.
Ive done it for chicken stock before, and that turned out pretty ok too.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Apparently the secret to good stock is gelatin, which is why people make stock from bones, feet, etc.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.
I'm lazy as gently caress and mix store-bought stock with unflavored gelatin packs.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Buffis posted:

So uh... I guess it came out pretty thick.
Will see if I'll have to dilute it when heating it for the noodles later.
Probably fine?

That's some good looking stock there.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Made tonkotsu ramen with some of the stock today.

Before:

After:

Came out really tasty, despite taking a few shortcuts with the recipe. Quite pleased.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

pressure cooker.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

Buffis posted:

Made tonkotsu ramen with some of the stock today.

Before:

After:

Came out really tasty, despite taking a few shortcuts with the recipe. Quite pleased.

Oh my lord that looks beautiful.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Asparagus is in season so I've been picking asparagus from the garden and making futomaki rolls with that and some canned gobo strips and sliced up tamagoyaki, just wonderful.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
This might be a departure from drying your own katsuobushi or whatever, but nothing hits the spot like some instant curry:

I've tried a few and usually stick with Golden Curry but that's probably just nostalgia, does someone have another favorite? Eating it, I can feel my mood improving with each bite.

Anyway, I'd welcome some opinions on what veggies, fruits, meats and spices to add. I usually go with beef cubes, onion, potato, carrots, and bananas (a point of contention with my family). Sprinkled with cayenne pepper and served with an unhealthy amount of white rice. I try to cook enough for the next one or two days, and it tastes even better than the first night. poo poo now I'm thinking about kare pan which is equally delicious.

Last time I visited Japan there were Coco Curry Houses everywhere which looked extremely appetizing but I admit it's not exactly highbrow and it wasn't possible to convince the family to go to to the Olive Garden of Japan during a limited vacation.

Kevin DuBrow fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Apr 16, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I can never get the prized milky white tonkotsu stock, it always comes out brown no matter how much I blanch and clean the bones. Next time I try it I'm peeling off the skin from the trotters and omitting the vegetables. My guess is the charred veggies are ruining the color so I'll mix like 2:1 ratio of pork stock to vegetable stock.

Kevin DuBrow posted:

This might be a departure from drying your own katsuobushi or whatever, but nothing hits the spot like some instant curry:

I've tried a few and usually stick with Golden Curry but that's probably just nostalgia, does someone have another favorite? Eating it, I can feel my mood improving with each bite.

Anyway, I'd welcome some opinions on what veggies, fruits, meats and spices to add. I usually go with beef cubes, onion, potato, carrots, and bananas (a point of contention with my family). Sprinkled with cayenne pepper and served with an unhealthy amount of white rice. I try to cook enough for the next one or two days, and it tastes even better than the first night. poo poo now I'm thinking about kare pan which is equally delicious.

Last time I visited Japan there were Coco Curry Houses everywhere which looked extremely appetizing but I admit it's not exactly highbrow and it wasn't possible to convince the family to go to to the Olive Garden of Japan during a limited vacation.

Golden Curry is the only stuff I find around here and I swear by it.

A few weeks ago I had an epiphany while trying to make a meat sauce for Coney dogs. Japanese curry is a roux so why do I cook it like a stew and not a gravy? So I took a pan with some bacon drippings from another meal, added some onions, a skosh of baking soda to turn them super brown, then fried the curry roux until it was almost black before adding the liquid. I've never had Japanese curry with such immense flavor (although admittedly it's not something I seek out). I don't put veggies in a gravy so why would I here? Add some meat and a heaping of rice, that's it. Next time I want to omit water and do a blend of sweet and spicy peppers. The more concentrated the better.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Apr 17, 2017

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Kevin DuBrow posted:

How loving dare you.

Anyways, Saizeriya is the Olive Garden of Japan.

Seriously, though, any vegetables you would put in a beef stew are good in a Japanese curry, but I would replace the bananas with apple because bananas are goddamn disgusting hellmonster fruits.

Japanese curry is also good with okra, spinach, tofu, squash, zucchini, corn, eggplant...anything sturdy enough to take a thick sauce (lol).

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

al-azad posted:

I can never get the prized milky white tonkotsu stock, it always comes out brown no matter how much I blanch and clean the bones. Next time I try it I'm peeling off the skin from the trotters and omitting the vegetables. My guess is the charred veggies are ruining the color so I'll mix like 2:1 ratio of pork stock to vegetable stock.

Don't peel the skin off, it adds body. You don't need to omit the veggies, just don't char them. Just sweat them or leave them raw if you want a white broth. Also what veggies specifically are you using?

quote:

I don't put veggies in a gravy so why would I here?

Because the flavor the veggies add from being simmered in the curry are part of the Japanese Curry flavor you know and love. It won't taste the same without it, which it sounds like maybe you're ok with.

But also, eat your goddamn vegetables.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I'm currently working through a bunch of S&B's Tasty Curry which I thought was decent. Vermont Curry is also good if you want something that starts more on the sweet side. In terms of core ingredients, I usually just do onion, carrots, potatoes with chicken thighs. Fruit-wise I will do grated apples if any. In terms of herbs/spices, I add a little bit of black pepper, sometimes bay, and some cayenne if I got stuck with a medium-hot or mild. If I have a bottle of table wine on hand, I will deglaze with some of that; otherwise, I use sherry.

al-azad posted:

A few weeks ago I had an epiphany while trying to make a meat sauce for Coney dogs. Japanese curry is a roux so why do I cook it like a stew and not a gravy? So I took a pan with some bacon drippings from another meal, added some onions, a skosh of baking soda to turn them super brown, then fried the curry roux until it was almost black before adding the liquid. I've never had Japanese curry with such immense flavor (although admittedly it's not something I seek out). I don't put veggies in a gravy so why would I here? Add some meat and a heaping of rice, that's it. Next time I want to omit water and do a blend of sweet and spicy peppers. The more concentrated the better.

The use of roux does not mean that it can't be a stew like preparation (see gumbo). Furthermore, the typical vegetables (onion and carrot) add a pretty good amount of flavor to the mix seeing as it's 2/3 of mirepoix. The onions in particular can help bring a pretty good amount of sweetness.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'll meet you in the middle and just chop my veggies very finely. As a diehard fan of Indian and Thai curries, I just can't get over big stew chunks in Japanese curry.

Now I've got the idea stuck in my head to let the rice cook in the curry sauce like jambalaya.

Thoht posted:

Don't peel the skin off, it adds body. You don't need to omit the veggies, just don't char them. Just sweat them or leave them raw if you want a white broth. Also what veggies specifically are you using?

Onions, ginger, garlic, and sometimes leeks. I'll just make separate broths and combine them until I'm comfortable getting the right color.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

al-azad posted:

I'll meet you in the middle and just chop my veggies very finely. As a diehard fan of Indian and Thai curries, I just can't get over big stew chunks in Japanese curry.

Now I've got the idea stuck in my head to let the rice cook in the curry sauce like jambalaya.

Onions, ginger, garlic, and sometimes leeks. I'll just make separate broths and combine them until I'm comfortable getting the right color.

You could try doing it like a demi glace (or specifically Espagnole) where you cook the aromatics while making the sauce base to impart flavor, but strain them out prior to serving. Hell now I want to actually try using curry in demi glace.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 18, 2017

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

The place I work at blends duck fat into the tonkotsu broth, takes the creaminess and color up a notch.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My onigiri are falling apart after sitting in the fridge overnight. I'm using calrose rice, my wife says it's because I'm salting the rice. Is she right? How do you season it otherwise?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My onigiri are falling apart after sitting in the fridge overnight. I'm using calrose rice, my wife says it's because I'm salting the rice. Is she right? How do you season it otherwise?

Vinegar.

Are you salting the rice and then forming the onigiri or is it on the surface, like in a furikake or something? If it's the former, I think your wife may be right. You might also not be packing it firmly enough, or your rice might not be sticky enough. Is this something that happens every time you make onigiri, or is this the first time?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
in japan for the first time. I walked by a shop selling katsuobushi, did a double take, went inside. after a lot of broken english and google translate with the owner, I discovered there are tons of types of shaved dried fish, which makes complete sense, but I never realized before - for whatever dumb reason I thought it was just bonito. got some sand bream, mackerel. I'm now slightly sperging out and want to buy some whole dried filets and shave my own, and/or preserve my own at home. anyone have any resources on grades of katsoubushi, production, etc?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
The only thing I've seen is a chefsteps recipe where they just chuck a salmon fillet in the fridge for three months and microplane off the dried bits. It might be worth asking around in the charcuterie thread though.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

mindphlux posted:

in japan for the first time. I walked by a shop selling katsuobushi, did a double take, went inside. after a lot of broken english and google translate with the owner, I discovered there are tons of types of shaved dried fish, which makes complete sense, but I never realized before - for whatever dumb reason I thought it was just bonito. got some sand bream, mackerel. I'm now slightly sperging out and want to buy some whole dried filets and shave my own, and/or preserve my own at home. anyone have any resources on grades of katsoubushi, production, etc?

I don't have any resources offhand, but I remember Ivan orkin sperging about about different types of dried smoked and shaved fish when talking about his shio broth. From what I gather the process involves steaming the whole fish, smoking it for like a month off and on, inoculating it with koji and aging it for a few months (or years) before shaving it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

mindphlux posted:

Is that in yotsuya?

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

mindphlux posted:

I'm not sure how I ran across this recently and it's technically only tangentially related, but here's a paper about adapting katsuobushi production techniques to pork; maybe you could reverse engineer the regular process from it?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Vinegar.

Are you salting the rice and then forming the onigiri or is it on the surface, like in a furikake or something? If it's the former, I think your wife may be right. You might also not be packing it firmly enough, or your rice might not be sticky enough. Is this something that happens every time you make onigiri, or is this the first time?

Yeah, I was salting and then forming. I salt rice for serving stuff over, I didn't consider the possibility that was making it stick less. Made them again with non-salted rice, it worked much better. Next time I'll try using a little mirin to season the rice.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"
How in the gently caress do I get Japanese rice to not go crispy and stupid in my rice cooker? I wash it first, I follow the instructions. More water, less water, it just always sucks. Every other sort of rice (jasmine, basmati, arborio) is totally fine. It's a whizz-bang Sunbeam pressure/slow-cooker thingo.

I'm just looking for plain rice here. Regular old gohan for my curry or katsu or whatever.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You need to describe in detail what exactly you're doing.

The rinse/drain/wait/cook cycle makes the rice a little firmer than just wash and cook but it's not crispy unless you're burning something.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
here's my basically foolproof recipe for rice

• measure out about a cup of rice

• measure out about a cup and a fourth to a cup and a third water (depending on exact rice variety and how stupid and/or unlucky your dumb loving face is)

• dump the rice and water in a pot

• bring to a quick boil then reduce to a bare simmer and cover for 20 minutes

congrats you've made perfect rice.

if you do the whole rinsing thing with sushi rice you'll get better results, but it will complicate how much water you need. if you can't even make basic rice, it's not worth sperging about, just use a fixed amount of water and skip the rinsing until you figure it out.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I'm going to ignorant about people's financial status and just suggest a rice cooker.

Also I suggest equal rice to water because wet rice is gross!!

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"
I have a drat rice cooker, this is what's giving me the shits! I can cook literally any kind of rice but sushi rice and it's frigging perfect. But it doesn't seem to matter how much water I put in there with the grains (I've been up to 1.5:1), it ends up loving burnt! I'm a competent cook, but Japanese rice makes me feel like a complete imbecile.

mindphlux posted:

here's my basically foolproof recipe for rice

• measure out about a cup of rice

• measure out about a cup and a fourth to a cup and a third water (depending on exact rice variety and how stupid and/or unlucky your dumb loving face is)

• dump the rice and water in a pot

• bring to a quick boil then reduce to a bare simmer and cover for 20 minutes

congrats you've made perfect rice.

If my god-drat poo poo-loving rice cooker can't get it right, I have no reason to think it's going to be any less stuck-to-the-bottom godawful gross if I do it over a flame, but I suppose this is my only option. I'll just have to baby it I guess.

Smudgie Buggler fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Apr 26, 2017

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

My Zojirushi fuzzy logic rice cooker cooks all types of rice perfectly without any burnt to the pot. It also has a timer and can do steal oats.
I really regret not buying one at the Tokyo airport during a layover and instead having to order a Chinese made one in the states, but it is still amazing.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Smudgie Buggler posted:

I have a drat rice cooker, this is what's giving me the shits! I can cook literally any kind of rice but sushi rice and it's frigging perfect. But it doesn't seem to matter how much water I put in there with the grains (I've been up to 1.5:1), it ends up loving burnt! I'm a competent cook, but Japanese rice makes me feel like a complete imbecile.

If my god-drat poo poo-loving rice cooker can't get it right, I have no reason to think it's going to be any less stuck-to-the-bottom godawful gross if I do it over a flame, but I suppose this is my only option. I'll just have to baby it I guess.

I mean, there's really no babying to it. You bring it to a boil and then turn your burner down really low. Set a timer, wait, pull it off the heat and fluff it. That's all.

Thoht fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 26, 2017

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I only cook one type of rice at home, and season it according to what I'm eating, but it took me some time to find the right brand. Are u using the same rice Everytime?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Would rinsing the rice first help? Or do you already do that I can't read? (apologies if so)

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Its hard to overstate how nice having a good rice cooker is.

You may not eat much rice now, but once its not a pain in the rear end to make, but instead super easy and always perfectly cooked, you'll eat more of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Is there a good source online for buying hon-mirin? I checked two Asian groceries near me today and one had none at all, the other an asinine amount of Kikkoman aji-mirin.

Whole Foods had Eden brand, but $12 for a 10 oz bottle seems insane.