Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

People at my work place are making plans to jump ship. It's sinking pretty drat fast. Looks like it's time to crank up the :yotj:, maybe I'll find a place with front-end engineers that actually understand that not everything works on all browsers. It's terrifying to think that I'm the most competent engineer in the room.

If I remember where you work correctly, and given my wife's experience with said company, I'm totally not surprised. Good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The Fool posted:

If I remember where you work correctly, and given my wife's experience with said company, I'm totally not surprised. Good luck.

She wouldn't happen to also be doing front-end there, is she? (And yeah, it's a mess.)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

She wouldn't happen to also be doing front-end there, is she? (And yeah, it's a mess.)

No, she worked as an agent for a while. Moved to a competitor.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

People at my work place are making plans to jump ship. It's sinking pretty drat fast. Looks like it's time to crank up the :yotj:, maybe I'll find a place with front-end engineers that actually understand that not everything works on all browsers. It's terrifying to think that I'm the most competent engineer in the room.

I doubt such a place exists. Or that I would be hired by such a place. Only shambolic trash fires hire me.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The Fool posted:

No, she worked as an agent for a while. Moved to a competitor.

Doesn't surprise me that it sucks all over. Oh well, hope she's doing better now! Hope I will, too.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Another Q: is it considered kosher to decline a PR because it contains too many changes that are unrelated to the specific ticket in question? A basic parameterization ticket from my coworker is massive because it includes Jenkins changes, CSS tweaking, removal of a shitload of files, whitespace changes, React prop type changes, and some webpack insanity, and it's way too big for me to review. I want him to break the PR up, but in afraid of him getting mad at me if I do even though he declines our PRs for things like alphabetization. Is it okay to say "no, this poo poo is too big, please restrain yourself"?

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Pollyanna posted:

Another Q: is it considered kosher to decline a PR because it contains too many changes that are unrelated to the specific ticket in question? A basic parameterization ticket from my coworker is massive because it includes Jenkins changes, CSS tweaking, removal of a shitload of files, whitespace changes, React prop type changes, and some webpack insanity, and it's way too big for me to review. I want him to break the PR up, but in afraid of him getting mad at me if I do even though he declines our PRs for things like alphabetization. Is it okay to say "no, this poo poo is too big, please restrain yourself"?

That's a totally valid and correct reason.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

good jovi posted:

That's a totally valid and correct reason.

Yeah if you can't confidently review the PR (and there's almost certainly no way you can with that mess), politely declining it is the right move. That sounds like it has way too many ways to break something for comfort.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

revmoo posted:

Wait, what project are you working on with 37 minute builds?

Geez, in the future can you please preface all your small-team commit bullshit with "I can't imagine a build that takes more than 37 minutes"? Would really make these things go quicker.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

JawnV6 posted:

Geez, in the future can you please preface all your small-team commit bullshit with "I can't imagine a build that takes more than 37 minutes"? Would really make these things go quicker.

The Linux kernel needs like 8 minutes on decent hardware. 37 minutes is either a neural algorithm designed for HFT, modeling the human genome, or poo poo loving code.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

revmoo posted:

The Linux kernel needs like 8 minutes on decent hardware. 37 minutes is either a neural algorithm designed for HFT, modeling the human genome, or poo poo loving code.

Enterprise level business requires a robust amount of poo poo code to run poorly on our magnificent and amazing future technology.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know
Now talk about Dunning-Kruger some more.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Btw my last gig was writing Siem software backed by a 200TB hdfs cluster, several million LoC, commits going back to 2006, and I managed the entire CI and VCS infrastructure through several different revisions. So attack my ideas instead of my background.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ask me about baking multiple 20 minute AMIs in a row before I can see my changes in a production-like environment every time I push to a branch.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

revmoo posted:

I had 24 hour builds that were partitioning a HDL onto FPGA's, which of "Neural HFT," "Genome," or "poo poo Code" is that?

It's that and poo poo like this:

revmoo posted:

Look, I'm right, and several of you are dead wrong. And who spends three loving days in git bisect? It is literally divide-and-conquer. after 24 work hours you should be able to literally bisect tens of thousands of commits.
Where you've never had a problem that took more than trivial amounts of time to "test" and still think your experience is this global truth, anyone outside these ridiculously small bounds is obviously Wrong. I've had boards that took 30s just to flash one. Problems that non-deterministically manifested after days. When testing takes significant time and effort, yeah being able to know without checking that a commit is worth that effort and not "WIP WONT BUIDL" can make sense.

It's totally fine that you've only worked in places that didn't have these kinds of constraints, but could you perhaps work on the utter disregard for tact and relentless condescension you're applying to folks whose work you're blissfully unaware of?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

JawnV6 posted:

It's totally fine that you've only worked in places that didn't have these kinds of constraints, but could you perhaps work on the utter disregard for tact and relentless condescension you're applying to folks whose work you're blissfully unaware of?
You literally just did this exact thing to me.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

revmoo posted:

You literally just did this exact thing to me.
Can you point it out?

I implied that your workflow avoided a particular need for a flavor of testing. That's a peculiarity of that code base, not some global truth that must hold across Literally All Disciplines.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

JawnV6 posted:

You seem surprised that the edgelord who can't stop talking about retards and autistic people has an utter lack of tact

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Maybe his tact is a WIP.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

CPColin posted:

Maybe his tact is a WIP.

Busy rebasing, brb

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Pollyanna posted:

It's terrifying to think that I'm the most competent engineer in the room.

When that happens and you're not running your own company, it's time to move on.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

revmoo posted:

Just imagine if it were ported to C++, it'd take two hours to build.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
If it was ported to Haskell it'd take 15 hours to build after which the type system will have discovered 100+ security vulnerabilities and violations of contracts with userspace programs and correctness which are all absolutely true but nobody will ever actually encounter in the wild. After that, it will be shown through a TLA+ implementation of the kernel that the original presumptions of the Haskel program's type system were, indeed, incorrect and that most of those vulnerabilities are non-exploitable.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
My entire project takes 40 minutes to build from scratch.
It's a complete embedded Linux build though.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Last project I worked on had a 5 minute build type, most of this was setting up websphere liberty.
The team is moving to tomcat now btw.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Our underpointing has gotten a little out of hand. 4 points is a week, 2 points is more than one day, and 1 point is anything less than that. So we have 30 minute stories pointed the same as 4 hour stories, which is making our velocity erratic since the same dev is doing 1-5 points in a day.

We need to reset our points lower but that's going to be an effort.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

Our underpointing has gotten a little out of hand. 4 points is a week, 2 points is more than one day, and 1 point is anything less than that. So we have 30 minute stories pointed the same as 4 hour stories, which is making our velocity erratic since the same dev is doing 1-5 points in a day.

We need to reset our points lower but that's going to be an effort.

Points are dumb. Sprints are dumb.
I loving hate modern development cargo culting.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

On the plus side, no one is making me do hour estimates of an entire release before we write a line of code.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

smackfu posted:

On the plus side, no one is making me do hour estimates of an entire release before we write a line of code.

Points may get dumb sometimes but I promise it's better than the hell described above.

"Looks like 400 hour project was finished in 463 hours. We're really aiming to keep projects within 10% of the estimate."

:shepicide:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
"Ship something every day' is a really good goal to strive for, but stories like this always make me wonder whether the problem lies within the process of estimating, or whether handsy project managers keep dividing stories into units of work that are too small in the first place.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Also ask me about babysitting Jenkins' buggy broken rear end through our overengineered build and deployment process and manually clocking APPROVE SPPROBE SBBPORRD as my entire loving day I hate you Jennings or whoever set you up,oh right it was the guy who went in vacation the week of release requiring us to scramble to fo the shut he has to do and is barely available abyway cause he goes drak like constantly please help me I do not like being a
babysitter.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Also ask me about babysitting Jenkins' buggy broken rear end through our overengineered build and deployment process and manually clocking APPROVE SPPROBE SBBPORRD as my entire loving day I hate you Jennings or whoever set you up,oh right it was the guy who went in vacation the week of release requiring us to scramble to fo the shut he has to do and is barely available abyway cause he goes drak like constantly please help me I do not like being a
babysitter.

I think someone broke the markov chain generator...

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

babysitter.

And Jenkins claims another victim. :rip:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I hated Jenkins the first time I used it for CI. The second time around I took a week and hacked the poo poo out of it during a big OSS push where we were ditching Bamboo/Atlassian. I got it running absolutely beautifully, and cranked out a theme that put Bamboo to shame to go with it. It's a great platform but it needs careful and methodical setup to start with. One thing I always do now, is put my entire CI process into shell scripts, depending on Jenkins for just Git, credentials, and artifact generation, and nothing else. A nice bonus is that you can switch CI platforms in an afternoon since all of the build logic lives outside of it.

revmoo fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 19, 2017

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Also, protip; generate a 1mb file, commit it to Git, and then put the md5 of it in your deploy script as a canary. Abort deploys if the hash ever fails to match.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Dare I ask why that ever came up as a concern?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

revmoo posted:

Also, protip; generate a 1mb file, commit it to Git, and then put the md5 of it in your deploy script as a canary. Abort deploys if the hash ever fails to match.

this is insane cargo cult nonsense

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

One weird trick to ensure your build fails for inscrutable reasons years after you leave the company, employers and devs hate it!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That would make for a good prank once I leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Clanpot Shake posted:

One weird trick to ensure your build fails for inscrutable reasons years after you leave the company, employers and devs hate it!

But is your build time under 37 minutes? :colbert: