Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Mel Mudkiper posted:

As I recall, wasn't gremlins the movie that finally pushed them over the ede

It was Spielberg who suggested there be something between PG and R and cited specifically Temple of Doom (which he directed) and Gremlins (which he was Executive Producer of).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

As I recall, wasn't gremlins the movie that finally pushed them over the ede

That was also released in 1984. I never found that one scary though.

One big change due to the addition of the PG13 rating was suddenly a ton of the sex comedies coming out toned themselves down to be PG-13 instead of R like Animal House, Porky's, Police Academy or Revenge of the Nerds... mostly for the worse.

Bit less out and out sexual assault in those though.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 18, 2017

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
4 and 5 are probably my favorites out of the Police Academy series

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

Best Simpsons episodes:

You Only Move Twice
Cape Feare
Monorail
Homer at the Bat
Last Exit to Springfield

For my money I love Summer of 4Ft. 2, which is where they go on vacation to Flander's beach house.

Kalli posted:

My dad made me watch Temple of Doom with him when I was like 5.

gently caress you dad. The others were good and all kids should watch them because you gotta drill good life lessons into kids like murder every nazi you can find.

We tried watching Gremlins last Christmas and got about 30 minutes in before the freaked out and we had to shut it off.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Mostly because of the back story of the movie getting made.

Joe Dante never wanted to make a sequel and the studio kept begging him to do it because of how popular the first one was.

He inevitably got the studio to agree to total creative and editorial freedom.

The whole movie is 2 hours of a bored director doing whatever he wants with a studios money without any limits from the studio.

It's a dada masterpiece

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The two movies I watched the most as a kid were Labyrinth and Adventures in Babysitting. Both are absolutely great movies that everyone should see. poo poo, also Real Genius.

A Man and his dog posted:

For some reason this has me thinking of "The Breakfast Club" when homeboy smokes pot and goes loving insane.

Like doing flips and going nuts in the library. The gently caress was that.

There was a ton of poo poo in the 80's pushing movies aimed at teens to show bad consequences for drug use... while still trying to be cool... so some really stupid poo poo got made.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

No Irish Need Imply posted:

PG 13 was introduced in 84 for this very reason.

Even after PG-13 was available though, 80's movies still had way more language and sexually suggestive PG stuff in them than now.

We watched the Great Outdoors this weekend and there's a scene where the two families spend like five minutes telling each other to blow it out their asses. It was great.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

there are only 2 movies that matter.

Only The Strong

The Substitute

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Alaois posted:

there are only 2 movies that matter.

Only The Strong

The Substitute

Anything that spreads the joy of capoeira is okay by me.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Alaois posted:

Only The Strong

hells yea. i wanted to capoeira so badly after this movie but i'm too fat and white.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
i like the episode of the simpsons where that washington redskins quarterback doesn't make it

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
Kids, did anyone pray for giant shoes?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I don't think gossipy church wife was Maud's defining character trait. She was the neighbor's physically attractive, prudish wife that Homer lusted after. I mean she barely had a personality at all and existed mostly as a sounding board for Ned to demonstrate just how religious and dorky he was.

Mike Scully stated this on her death:

"It was a chance for one of our regular characters [Ned Flanders] to face a challenge and grow in a new direction. The idea came up quickly, we all latched on to it, and it just felt right. We didn't want to kill a character for the sake of killing. We wanted it to have consequences for surviving characters to deal with in future episodes."

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

No Irish Need Imply posted:

It was Gremlins but mostly Temple of Doom. Spielberg pushed his luck.

This is somewhat vindicating. I had nightmares for years after seeing Gremlins at age 3.

Kalli posted:

The two movies I watched the most as a kid were Labyrinth and Adventures in Babysitting. Both are absolutely great movies that everyone should see. poo poo, also Real Genius.

Gabe Jarret is absolutely my poo poo.

The Puppy Bowl fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 18, 2017

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Airplane was rated PG and it showed tits.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I watched a whole lot of Surf Ninjas as a kid. Explains a lot about me now I expect.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Little late on this, but for those of you who didn't like the Spy Museum, it's just a front and the real Spy Museum is hidden in a secret bunker beneath it. You just have to find the secret switch to call the elevator. Go on, just touch everything. You'll find it eventually.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I really want that to be true...

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

This is somewhat vindicating. I had nightmares for years after seeing Gremlins at age 3.

Cat's Eye freaked me the gently caress out as a kid. I made sure to have a box fan near bed juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust in case.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Jaws ruined me.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

FizFashizzle posted:

Jaws ruined me.

It certainly predicted your future animosity with sharks

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Thaddius the Large posted:

I watched a whole lot of Surf Ninjas as a kid. Explains a lot about me now I expect.

How Did This Get Made recently tackled Surf Ninjas, which was cool, but the real thing you should check out is the interview with the guy who wrote it. In the first two minutes you learn he was Jeff Buckley's godfather and that might be the least interesting thing in it. Seriously, its an all time great story involving the mob and could be a movie in its own rite (and kind of is, its was a Producers type situation).

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Swickles I performed first surgery a couple days ago.

A doctor guided me through cutting some ungodly splinter out of his hand.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

swickles posted:

How Did This Get Made recently tackled Surf Ninjas, which was cool, but the real thing you should check out is the interview with the guy who wrote it. In the first two minutes you learn he was Jeff Buckley's godfather and that might be the least interesting thing in it. Seriously, its an all time great story involving the mob and could be a movie in its own rite (and kind of is, its was a Producers type situation).

The king of the follow up interview is still Mel Brooks taking about solarbabies

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Quiet Feet posted:

Little late on this, but for those of you who didn't like the Spy Museum, it's just a front and the real Spy Museum is hidden in a secret bunker beneath it. You just have to find the secret switch to call the elevator. Go on, just touch everything. You'll find it eventually.

Don't say this I am dissapointed Spy Mueseum is getting negative reviews and am willing to believe

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The king of the follow up interview is still Mel Brooks taking about solarbabies

The episode where they had Patton Oswalt and the director of Punisher was amazing.

Shame that movie bombed because it was a great dumb action movie.

Oh, whatever you do, don't put in Parkour guys. They're so played out, every action movie does them... Everyone told me this, so I said to myself, everyone hates them, why I don't I put them in and just kill them off immediately?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P35eZvHwDs8

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I always had so many questions about that scene and also the scene where he punches a hole through a dude's head

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Kalli posted:

The episode where they had Patton Oswalt and the director of Punisher was amazing.

Shame that movie bombed because it was a great dumb action movie.

Oh, whatever you do, don't put in Parkour guys. They're so played out, every action movie does them... Everyone told me this, so I said to myself, everyone hates them, why I don't I put them in and just kill them off immediately?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P35eZvHwDs8

That's a great episode, you get so much insight into the insanity that is making a movie. Any episode where they have someone involved in the making of the movie always produces some amazing stories and leads me to believe there is no industry that has more people not knowing anything about anything than film making.

Kevin Smith was really good too and his story about how Jersey Girl was focus grouped to death was another cool peak behind the curtains.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Kevin Smith is excellent at passing the buck, though.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Kevin Smith has never accepted responsibility for his failures in almost 20 years.

also this quote owns so hard

"(Kevin Smith) kind of created a Special Olympics for film. They just kind of lowered the standard. I’m sure their parents are proud; it’s just nothing I care to buy a ticket for.” - David Gordon Green

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I always saw Kevin Smith as being the embodiment of the slacker ethos who made a pretty signature movie, then a couple of okay ones, then just never bothered to get better as a filmmaker so his act got really tired and he could move onto his true love: sitting around talking about bullshit with a bunch of people who'd listen to him.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
HDTGM frustrates me, their interviews are top notch (Danny Trejo and that guy from Superman 2 come to mind), and I love Jason Manzoukas, but the show itself is just tedious and not particularly clever.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Homer at the Bat is my go to episode to explain how old that show is. Mike Sciocia was a player in that episode. He's been the Angels manager since I was TWELVE.

I also loved the Bart and Lisa hockey episode, the one where Bleeding Gums died, and Bart gets an F.

Lisa was always my favorite.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Thaddius the Large posted:

HDTGM frustrates me, their interviews are top notch (Danny Trejo and that guy from Superman 2 come to mind), and I love Jason Manzoukas, but the show itself is just tedious and not particularly clever.

gently caress off guy

Kalli posted:

I always saw Kevin Smith as being the embodiment of the slacker ethos who made a pretty signature movie, then a couple of okay ones, then just never bothered to get better as a filmmaker so his act got really tired and he could move onto his true love: sitting around talking about bullshit with a bunch of people who'd listen to him.

Kevin Smith is frustrating because he had talent when he started out and never made even a fraction of an effort to grow as an artist. Compare his catalog to the other darlings of early 90's indy films and he is like the fat guy in your hometown who cannot stop talking about how he was the star of the high school football team

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Bart and Lisa in military school imo

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

gently caress off guy

Kevin Smith is frustrating because he had talent when he started out and never made even a fraction of an effort to grow as an artist. Compare his catalog to the other darlings of early 90's indy films and he is like the fat guy in your hometown who cannot stop talking about how he was the star of the high school football team

The best Kevin Smith story is when he did that movie with Bruce Willis and Willis was explaining how and when to use different camera lenses to Smith, who did not care at all.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kevin smith is kinda a joke in the industry.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

you can also tell if someone is completely worthless if they say "Chasing Amy was good though"

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Mallrats and Dogma changed my life as an idiot teen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

FizFashizzle posted:

Kevin smith is kinda a joke in the industry.

He was also basically responsible for indie cinema become a huge thing, so :shrug:

I like the dude a lot.

• Locked thread