Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I Before E posted:

Moviebob would have turned out like Elliot Rodger if he had better cardio.

also Rodgers spoke to at least one woman in his life, I'm 100% MovieBob has to pay up front before he does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

New Cinema Snob with some great cameo action
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4UMi7WdcPc

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

financially racist posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUwzpEE9KsI

:laffo: this brash games hole goes a lot deeper than i thought holy moly

Yeah, it's like a Thomas Pynchon novel. So much secrecy for such low stakes in the world of gaming journalism.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Max Wilco posted:

In non-Souls related news, MovieBob continues to say disturbing stuff:

Is this the elitist coastal liberal twitter won't shut up about

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

WampaLord posted:

My favorite internet critic, Joseph Anderson, just release a long rear end video (seriously, it's almost 2 hours) about Breath of the Wild:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T15-xfUr8z4

Youtube is filtering his videos out of my feed again. :negative:

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Basically, yeah.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The Vosgian Beast posted:

A while back he tweeted that poor areas are lovely because poor people are inherently lovely. It's safe to ignore that guy about everything.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Jimbot posted:

A while back he tweeted that poor areas are lovely because poor people are inherently lovely. It's safe to ignore that guy about everything.

So a "libertarian" then, gotcha

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jimbot posted:

John Oliver pointed out that the big reason for these areas is that the educated people tend to migrate to the coastal cities, which doesn't solve the problem.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

Youtube is filtering his videos out of my feed again. :negative:

This one was unlisted at first, maybe that caused it.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Arcsquad12 posted:

John Oliver pointed out that the big reason for these areas is that the educated people tend to migrate to the coastal cities, which doesn't solve the problem.

Gentrification is a serious problem in the SF Bay Area; in SF and Oakland in particular.

E: Teachers are being offered pay for less than it costs to live there, which requires extensive commutes that simply don't work for the amount of extra time that teaching requires.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Puppy Time posted:

New Cinema Snob with some great cameo action
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4UMi7WdcPc

I'm always curious (but obviously not curious enough to buy) when these guys make short films--has anyone seen "Jesus, Bro"?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Mr. Fowl posted:

I'm always curious (but obviously not curious enough to buy) when these guys make short films--has anyone seen "Jesus, Bro"?

My husband's enjoyed most of Brad's output; I haven't bothered to watch it, so I can't personally vouch, but I understand it's at least well made for its budget. Judging from the trailer there, it looks like it'd be worth the price of admission, at least.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I rented it. I liked it and agree that it was well made for the budget. One thing that kind of randomly struck me was the incidental music was well done and didn't seem cheap like most of these movies do. Fairly tepid spoilers below:

There are some jokes you might not get if you aren't familiar with the recent christian movie wave, like a scene where the two speaking characters cover their mouths with their coffee mugs, which I believe happens in Kirk Cameron Saves Christmas. I think they actually show this scene in the trailer, but there you go.

I think it's kind of a tough subject to make a movie out of without being nasty, but I think they pull it off. Both "sides" (christians vs atheists) get mocked fairly equally and behind it all are some running gags about how vicious and hate filled the internet can be.

Overall it was entertaining and has some laughs. IMO the two best jokes happen at the end of the movie, and got pretty good laughs out of me. If you like Cinema Snob reviews of christian movies, it's a safe bet you'll enjoy it. Most of the humor I'd classify under either dry or dark. Or both. It's an intelligent movie, and I'll probably watch it again some time down the road. Probably my biggest criticism is that when the movie tried to get sentimental or earnest regarding the Rickhead/Lupa relationship, it was hard to buy. Thinking back, I have a feeling this is due to how the Rickhead's character was written...he was too much of a joyless self centered fuckhead, it was hard to accept he was moved by another person

Doug Walker does not screech like a howler monkey, thankfully.
Brother Walker was fine as santa jesus. I liked the movie's portrayal of Jesus as a character
Lupa wasn't in the movie a whole lot, but her character was the driving force of the movie's protagonist. Her character also had an amusing quirk
Fard Muhommad I wasn't familiar with this guy before seeing the movie, but he was a good 2nd banana and had some funny moments.
Rickhead did a good job as the arrogant condescending atheist fucker who has a change in heart

I don't want to get into heavier spoilers, but I will say I the overall message of the movie was very good, and some of the take home implications actually surprised me a little (having little knowledge of Brad Jones outside of Cinema Snob).

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

TheMaestroso posted:

Gentrification is a serious problem in the SF Bay Area; in SF and Oakland in particular.

E: Teachers are being offered pay for less than it costs to live there, which requires extensive commutes that simply don't work for the amount of extra time that teaching requires.

It's not the coast or as terrible as SF (though nothing is) but gentrification is loving over areas of Atlanta, too. I got forced out of my old place due to its rent suddenly spiking and it's only getting worse in some of the areas.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
These kids are going to wind up being serial killers. :stare:

Apparently the family had to leave the glasses kid at home from a trip to disney world or some place because he cuts himself and smears poop around the house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvoLmsXKkYM

Chromatic fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 18, 2017

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Chromatic posted:

Apparently the family had to leave the glasses kid at home from a trip to disney world or some place because he cuts himself and smears poop around the house.

what

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Moviebob is a complete dipshit once he steps an inch outside of his wheelhouse which is the 8-bit era of gaming, comic trivia, and movie trivia. He's had to "explain" his views multiple times when they've offended people you'd normally consider his colleagues and friends. He was a major rear end-sucker of Davin Faraci and only came out to disown the guy after basically everyone else had and the guy had finally been booted from BMD and the Alamo Drafthouse.

I was kinda amused that the Chapo Trap House twitter crowd finally noticed and started dunking on him, partially because he's another weirdo Hillary obsessive.

I still generally like his movie reviews a lot even after he started getting kinda political off and on in those so :shrug:

Like I'll watch a million Moviebob things before I watch some horseshit from HBomberguy or whatever

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 18, 2017

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Wow I didn't think there were opinions worse than my own, but you see them here today in the flesh.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Chromatic posted:

I don't like edgy internet hyperbole poo poo...but I want these parents to die.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Are we honestly gonna start covering TMZ-like dweebs here? Christ.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think that guy is an internet internet critic so, it counts.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Moviebob is frustrating because I generally find his movie reviews of new releases agreeable from a "semi-self aware, informed geek" POV, and they don't venture into weird contrarian CD logic. Also, his politics, on the surface, are decent. He's an unashamed basement-dwelling geek that wants nothing to do with the gater/geekbro crowd, and takes extra steps to make clear their mindsets aren't welcomed.

But then the cryptic, weird poo poo surfaces. His futuro fascist scientific jingoism and weird brand of progressivism that belongs in the late 19th century, for example. And his contempt for the uneducated, etc.

I don't look into his video game stuff at all. This thread has already brought up that Other M opinion countless times.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Very well, but I suppose that in a way the "Don't discuss stuff from twitter" rule should get relaxed a bit then.

re moviebob: I'll defend him on a thing or two (Folk gave him poo poo for being upset about Call Of Duty getting Oliver North to promote the game), and in a way MB's weird classist stuff isn't exactly new or exclusve to just him to that crowd. However given these times this sorta stuff gets picked on a bit faster.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 18, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Chromatic posted:

Context please.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

Context please.

The video explains itself

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

MiddleOne posted:

Context please.

Mom and Dad are neck deep in "it's a prank, bro" and keep abusing pranking their kids in deeply harmful hilarious ways, including screaming profanity at them for accidents that the parents manufactured, breaking their things, and threatening them with abandonment, and posting the results on the internet for everyone to see.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
You know what would be funny? If child services took their kids away and the police arrested them and then they all just say "it's just a prank, bros" to the parents.

Except then the last part doesn't happen and they go to jail where they belong.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Oh my god. :stare:

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Chromatic posted:

Jesus Christ...

I got curious and looked at the guy's channel. And the pinned video is something called "The PURGE prank teaser trailer."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNqpj77PbvU

loving hell.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

In the not so distant future, as the disgraced parents lie in their bed one night, finally stabbed full of holes by glasses kid before he slinks off to get the rest of them, dad reaches out to him, his last words... "Was it all a prank.. bro?"

Fin

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
*extremely gabriel iglesiasly* "but it was funny, huh"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hope idubbbztv takes down that lovely family.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

CelticPredator posted:

I hope idubbbztv takes down that lovely family.

What we do here is go back back BACK BACK

I hope it happens.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I love that Leafy's got completely ripped apart, and still hasn't changed his content one iota, despite the dude barely averaging a million per video.

Like him or not, idubbbz fucks poo poo up.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Phillip Defranco is kind of a dick and it feels weird seeing him now since i used to watch him in middle school but that video made me extremely uncomfortable and that poo poo will stick with a kid for life. I'm currently dealing (poorly) with crippling anxiety issues for things my parents put me through and it's nowhere near as bad as what that kid gets put through for internet cash

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
I clicked off after the kids started saying it was just a prank into the camera. The kid looked angry and like he didn't wanna be there. How much you wanna bet the parents 'insisted' the kids defend them in that video?

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS
Apparently a few child psychologists reached out to him after he posted that video. Specifically mentioning the Disneyland thing.

https://youtu.be/mrilDQugeME

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
I think that just means he browsed the comments of his own video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
philip defranco is basically one of those controversy talking heads on a 24 hour news network or something, he's a total tool, even if he sometimes stumbles over his own schtick into doing the right thing

I mean going right from saying he's glad steve stevens is dead so the "tax payer doesn't have to foot the bill" then immediately into BROUGHT TO YOUR BY SQUARESPACE lmao it's like parody or something

the right thing to do in this situation would be to contact the authorities in whatever area they live and express concern over possible abuse and use the evidence he found because I'm not sure turning this into the hot controversy of the week is actually going to result in meaningful differences for those children

• Locked thread