Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

SettingSun posted:

One thing one of my friends had a problem with Persona in general is that there are often long stretches of plot, and since you're a silent protagonist it's a lot of other people talking around you. That's where the game gets its visual novel vibe, is that there is a lot of talking and you as a character often aren't technically a part of it.

You are almost always a big part of visual novels.

It's actually regular games were you don't have much input.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Renoistic posted:

If that's true it's actually worse than I thought. Like, the hypocrisy level would be off the charts.

It's not. More than that, the teacher "romance" has her break it off exactly because she doesn't want a repeat of the sexual harassment of the last guy and tells you to get back in touch when you graduate, if at all.

e: spoilers

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 18, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it has dialogue choices and the entire social link system is centered around them

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

DoctorGonzo posted:

so it doesnt have dialogue choices? thats bad

It does, sometimes they're just for different flavor text but a lot of them have effects on gameplay

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

DoctorGonzo posted:

You do. P5 also does a pretty good job at giving the silent MC an actual character.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Pablo Gigante posted:

It does, sometimes they're just for different flavor text but a lot of them have effects on gameplay

In the social links yeah.

In the main story not so much.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Wait, how old is the fortune teller? For some reason I thought she was around the main cast's age.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

Wait, how old is the fortune teller? For some reason I thought she was around the main cast's age.

She is an anime adult so mid 20s

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the characters interact with each other and talk a lot but you, the player, have short dialogue options constantly that the npcs respond to. your options aren't voiced tho and the other characters will talk about you more than they will require a direct response from the player

if you need the mc to be more of a character unto themselves but still want something close to the basic premise of persona, play trails of cold steel (which is on vita/ps3 and coming to steam later this year; I assume it'll get a ps4 port as well since the 3rd game is gonna be on ps4). play it anyway if you can and you like this kind of stuff because it's good

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

King of Solomon posted:

She makes it pretty clear she's on the older end.

Edited: I wouldn't consider such a thing a spoiler in the least but I guess others would. Sorry!

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 18, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Fun idea: stop piecemeal spoiling character interactions in a game about character interaction.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Snak posted:

Fun idea: stop piecemeal spoiling character interactions in a game about character interaction.

Yeah. This. Or at least not in the general PS thread. Im not reading the PS5 thread for this exact reason

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I feel like it would all be fine unspoilered in the Persona thread.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Snak posted:

Yeah, I feel like it would all be fine unspoilered in the Persona thread.

I don't read that thread, but I generally prefer spoiler bars for character or story details in that sort of game for a few months.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Jimbot posted:

Persona 5 has writing faults and some things aren't strong but that instance is not. It's weird but people get pedantic about some parts that aren't bad while other points are very valid. It, like a lot of Japanese media, uses homosexuality as a punchline. Very disappointing in a game about social reform, to be honest.

Not really surprising, considering Kanji's arc in P4 amounted to "He might be gay and might rape all the boys. But he isn't so he won't, phew!" The game had all the ingredients for a heartwarming "Be yourself" character arc, but the way it ended up handling it was baffling (Kanji's actual preferences don't matter, just how the game handled the issue).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tagging character details or interactions in a game where that is the main conceit is good and nice to do, especially when you're not in the thread for that game where you can reasonably expect that to happen

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I personally don't consider anything but things directly tied to the plots of the game spoilers but I respect everyone's opinion on the matter enough to edit what I said. Sorry.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

alright, who's responsible for my new AV

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
It's a good thing I don't give a poo poo about P5 because holy poo poo these spoilers.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

SettingSun posted:

I personally don't consider anything but things directly tied to the plots of the game spoilers but I respect everyone's opinion on the matter enough to edit what I said. Sorry.

Social link character details are absolutely spoilers.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Whatever, I don't and never will. But I'll stop bringing it up here in the thread about the illustrious PS4.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Snape kills Dumbledore (NOT a spoiler because I don't consider it to be one)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
My anecdotal experience, based on 2 instances in the last 24 hours, is that there is an alarming new trend in people using their own arbitrary definition of a spoiler to justify posting information that reveals content. When challenged, they argue that you're dumb if you think it's a spoiler. Same thing happened in the TVIV thread last night where someone posted a screenshot from a new episode and was like" without context, it's not a spoiler".

What a bunch of selfish assholes. Trying to be cool or edgy because your definition of spoiler doesn't including things that us pleebs would consider a spoiler.

The whole point of not spoiling poo poo is to be generally courteous, not to edge as close to spoiling poo poo as possible and then be like "SEE, IT TURNS OUT IT WASN'T A SPOILER, YOU JUST THOUGHT IT WAS CAUSE YOU'RE DUMB!"

"actually that did spoil it for me..."

"WELL IT SHOULDN'T HAVE. IF YOU THOUGHT ABOUT ALL THE WAYS IT MIGHT NOT HAVE BEEN A SPOILER, YOU WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN SPOILED."

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

pls don't spoil my pedo story arc

if it's anything like persona 4 then it's an overhyped--it's anime but still good!---creepy trash anime game for trash people hth go post in the persona thread

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Please don't post about PS4 games in the PS4 thread.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Snak posted:

My anecdotal experience, based on 2 instances in the last 24 hours, is that there is an alarming new trend in people using their own arbitrary definition of a spoiler to justify posting information that reveals content. When challenged, they argue that you're dumb if you think it's a spoiler. Same thing happened in the TVIV thread last night where someone posted a screenshot from a new episode and was like" without context, it's not a spoiler".

What a bunch of selfish assholes. Trying to be cool or edgy because your definition of spoiler doesn't including things that us pleebs would consider a spoiler.

The whole point of not spoiling poo poo is to be generally courteous, not to edge as close to spoiling poo poo as possible and then be like "SEE, IT TURNS OUT IT WASN'T A SPOILER, YOU JUST THOUGHT IT WAS CAUSE YOU'RE DUMB!"

"WELL IT SHOULDN'T HAVE. IF YOU THOUGHT ABOUT ALL THE WAYS IT MIGHT NOT HAVE BEEN A SPOILER, YOU WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN SPOILED."

just stop caring about spoilers

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Policenaut posted:

Please don't post about PS4 games in the PS4 thread.

only if they are actual good games

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Harald Knights are a 1 hit kill with a plunging attack. hth

It does major damage but usually not one hit. After the first boss i was doing a little over half health against 1 since I played a dex/int build with Friede's Scythes.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Snak posted:

Jesus Christ

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Snak posted:

Brosef I agree with you. We were just talking about dating options in P5 and I got defensive when someone considered the finer points of that discussion a spoiler when I didn't think about it. I just don't like being wrong (and I was!) so no need to explode my argument into an indictment of all spoilers.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I see that Nostalgia4Dicks has embraced the anime tittay.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

spoilers for persona 5: it's good and makes u think...

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Trojan Kaiju posted:

It does major damage but usually not one hit. After the first boss i was doing a little over half health against 1 since I played a dex/int build with Friede's Scythes.

Oh, ok. I have like 45 str so I guess it just owns them. I just figured it was 1-hit since there was a special animation and everything.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

DoctorGonzo posted:

I love weird japanese game. Let it die is great and Killer is Dead is one of my favorite games.

DoctorGonzo posted:

Also the mc is a guy right? After HZD i need some toxic masculinity.

DoctorGonzo posted:

I'm gonna suggest you check out Yakuza 0 if you havent already.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SiKboy posted:

I'm gonna suggest you check out Yakuza 0 if you havent already.

yeah i was thinking the same. First yakuza then persona.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Pablo Gigante posted:

You can date but it's really a teenager simulator, you go to high school and decide how to spend your free time, different activities affect different stats and spending time with friends gives you abilities that affect the dungeon crawling and combat. There are a bunch of hand-designed storyline dungeons as well as randomly-generated ones. Combat is fairly standard turn-based JRPG stuff but it's all based around exploiting enemy weaknesses to end fights as quickly as possible and you can recruit monsters (the titular Personas), fuse them to create new ones, etc. It's incredibly stylish and charming

Hmmmm I wonder if my court order applies to digital high schools???

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

FFXIV is doing a free 96 hour login campaign until May 7th.

They also changed the two week trial for new players. I think it's hours or max level of 30 or something

it's a fun MMO, it is pretty anime tho

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Not as anime as lineage II was.

Or that new avvy of yours.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

They totally took the time limit off the trial a couple weeks ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart

Pablo Gigante posted:

It's definitely in my top 5 at least and I'm not even halfway through. I feel like it may even end up being #1

I'm only halfway through because one of the dungeons was winding me up pretty tight and I wanted a break so I started another save file and wound up sticking with that one. After ng+ it's going to be like 200 hours lol

Anyway I met some of the offensive stereotypes and they just seemed like regular old drag queens.