Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

Holy crap, 50% in this one.

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/854417128773918720

There was a bigass thunderstorm in the voting county, so people might've tried to beat the storm or early voted.

A ton of Ossof signage in that residential area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Like, the impression is that there's a job for a data analyst paying 60k annually that would be available for an American with a BA and some work experience. A company applies for an H1B visa, and dumps an Indian dude in that position and pays them 48k annually. This drives down the average wage for the "data analyst" job description everywhere in the US.

This is not happening.

There's a job for a data analyst paying 60k annually that would be available for an American with a BA and some work experience. A company applies for an H1B visa, and dumps an Indian dude with Master's equivalent education in the job and pays him 60k while under-rating his qualification. They then extend the visa or sponsor a greencard while keeping him there, and he doesn't have a lot of leeway to negotiate for a raise or switch jobs, because that's how the system works.

This creates the impression that you now need a Master's for the same positions across all industries, because Infosys/whatever the Indian outsourcing companies are loving over dudes in silicon valley, thus deflating the equivalent pay a Master's degree could command for any data analyst position anywhere.

THIS IS BAD, don't get me wrong, but please argue that the companies doing this get hosed, and that the loophole gets closed, instead of arguing that jobs are literally being torn away from Americans by foreigners getting paid 40% less, thus depressing wages for literally the entire rest of the industry.

How is this not the same thing? The company needs, say, a senior-level person and the going pay is $90k. They put up a non-specific job posting offering $60k and (surprise!) they get mostly junior-level applicants who aren't qualified for the senior role they want. This gives them the opening to cry about it and apply to sponsor H1-B employees, who are willing to work for the lower wages. This puts downward pressure on the wages of Americans.

And you only have to prove you looked for Americans below $60k or something like that. If you're offering more, the requirements loosen significantly - that's the number that Congress is discussing raising.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
"I need my McNuggets" should be America's epitaph

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
The dude that shot up the mall near me a few months back apparently killed himself in jail.

http://www.king5.com/amp/news/crime/cascade-mall-shooting-suspect-dies-jail/431870782

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Missionary Positron posted:

The future is amazing.

Not really, no, just more of the same poo poo.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Proud Christian Mom posted:

"I need my McNuggets" should be America's epitaph

A fitting tagline for the bizarre cyberpunk dystopia we live in.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Svartvit posted:

The US tech markey could never ever make do without the H1B1. I'm sorry but Americans are not the first-rate employees they'd need to be.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

If Google doubled the salaries of every H1B worker it hired in 2014, take a guess how many pixels it would take off the blue bar in that graph.

e: one

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 18, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Americans are lazy, ergo, we should import all labor. This is a smart opinion and not completely ignorant of actual tech talent in the US or the difficulty of affording the education needed to fill those positions.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

gently caress yoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooou

SharePoint works well for me :shrug:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

at the date posted:

You have no idea what you're talking about.

If Google doubled the salaries of every H1B worker it hired in 2014, take a guess how many pixels it would take off the blue bar in that graph.

e: one

Google's average salary for h1b employees is $127k, which is similar to their regular software engineers. RSUs will more than double that.

Google is not the problem.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

This cyberpunk dystopia blows, nobody is riding a motorcycle/nuke linked to their heart beat. I want a new one.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Flikken posted:

SharePoint works well for me :shrug:

SharePoint is an unholy piece of poo poo that I sell to companies and configure for $200 an hour with a smile on my face

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

No, someone else nailed it when they observed that the dark future was supposed to be a cyperpunk dystopia but instead it's Grapes of Wrath part 2.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Knee jerk reaction was to come here to gloat over the Vinson not actually going to Korea but it's possible that was a measured deception /attempt to analyze response. Then again, trump.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

milk milk lemonade posted:

SharePoint is an unholy piece of poo poo that I sell to companies and configure for $200 an hour with a smile on my face

gently caress you for prolonging SharePoint's stay on this Earth.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
:downs: "Hey guys, we need some positive quotes for our new initiative!"
:smith: "Uh.... we don't have any. Business hates it, Democrats think it's toothless and racist, and nobody knows what it actually means."
:downs: "GODDAMNIT PUT OUT A PRESS RELEASE PRAISING THE NEW INITIATIVE WITH QUOTATIONS PRAISING HIM"
:smith: "Ok boss."

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/854465719333007360

:sad:

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

hobbesmaster posted:

Google's average salary for h1b employees is $127k, which is similar to their regular software engineers. RSUs will more than double that.

Google is not the problem.

Right, I saw the NYT article. I chose the company that pays their H1B employees the most to make a point. Even at the company offering the highest salaries on the market, labor costs have no significant effect on their bottom line. Labor costs are not holding back any tech company that is big enough to be hiring lots of H1Bs to begin with.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Georgia election return-watching tips (if you're a nutcase like me) from Dave Wasserman of the Cook Political Report, on the Georgia counties as they post results:

Rule of thumb: to be on track to hit 50% and *avoid* a runoff, Ossoff probably needs around 62% in DeKalb, 51% in Fulton, 45% in Cobb.

IMPORTANT as you track: this likely means Ossoff (D) needs at least 72% of the *early* vote in DeKalb, 61% in Fulton and 55% in Cobb.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

Georgia election return-watching tips (if you're a nutcase like me) from Dave Wasserman of the Cook Political Report, on the Georgia counties as they post results:

Rule of thumb: to be on track to hit 50% and *avoid* a runoff, Ossoff probably needs around 62% in DeKalb, 51% in Fulton, 45% in Cobb.

IMPORTANT as you track: this likely means Ossoff (D) needs at least 72% of the *early* vote in DeKalb, 61% in Fulton and 55% in Cobb.

Any good sources for it?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Coffeehitler posted:

Any good sources for it?

NYT Livechat: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/04/18/us/politics/georgia-special-election-live.html

NY Times live results: http://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/georgia-house-special-election-district-6

Decision Desk live: https://decisiondeskhq.com/results/georgia-6th-congressional-district-ga06-special-election-primary/

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I have full faith in Democrats loving this up.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Same.

First reports are coming in.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
Thanks, now to completely ignore the tab until tomorrow morning like last week's special election. :v:

Oh poo poo, there's a Democrat named Ragin Edwards. Kinda want him to do good, but it steals votes from Ossoff.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Just a quick thing, if Ossoff doesn't crack 50%, it's not really unexpected. Here are the details on the district:

—R+8 district
—Suburban Atlanta
—Price won by 23 pts in ‘16
—GOP-held since 1979
—Won by Trump (1 pt), Romney (23), McCain (25)

(From Sahil Kapur of Bloomberg)

Now if Ossoff gets less than like 43%, Democrats hosed up.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Coffeehitler posted:

Thanks, now to completely ignore the tab until tomorrow morning like last week's special election. :v:

Oh poo poo, there's a Democrat named Ragin Edwards. Kinda want him to do good, but it steals votes from Ossoff.

Check this guy out.
http://mohammadaliforcongress.com/

Also
:lol: :lol: :lol:
http://mohammadaliforcongress.com/issues/right-to-bear-arms/

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Bigly turnout in DeKalb, the Democratic county (one example below). Ossoff beating Clinton's numbers. MAYBE a touch below where he wanted on the percentages.

Gonna be a long night, but 50% is on the table, but still an outside shot.

https://twitter.com/conorsen/status/854488950291009536

Edit/Update: Wasserman thinks Ossoff needed 55% of the early vote in the GOP county, Cobb. He got 57%.

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/854489975622180864

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 19, 2017

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:f5:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
lots of illegal immigrant early voters in GA

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/854488688709033988

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Honestly. If Ossoff breaks 50, the best part won't be Dems winning a something like 40 year red seat. Its going to be Trumps gigantic meltdown.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Genocide Tendency posted:

Honestly. If Ossoff breaks 50, the best part won't be Dems winning a something like 40 year red seat. Its going to be Trumps gigantic meltdown.

Yep. Congresspeople want nothing more than to get re-elected. If a +10ish seat goes Democratic, suddenly a lot of safe Republicans are investing in scuba gear because they think a wave is coming.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I'm curious what the GOP's reaction will be in Congress. That's real bad news for them if he wins.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Genocide Tendency posted:

Oh please oh please.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

DoktorLoken posted:

I'm curious what the GOP's reaction will be in Congress. That's real bad news for them if he wins.

-We weren't conservative enough
-Voters were upset we didn't repeal Obamacare
-Illegal aliens did it with help of George Soros

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

This is the most interested I have ever been in Georgia politics. And of course Trump is going to blame illegal voting in a tweet tomorrow. Even if they win he'll say that there was lots of illegal voting.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Best Friends posted:

-We weren't conservative enough
-Voters were upset we didn't repeal Obamacare
-Illegal aliens did it with help of George Soros

Whats great about this is thats exactly what they will say.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
EVERYTHING on my twitter feed is currently "oh gently caress, this is going to be really close"

https://twitter.com/kasie/status/854492524097961984

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Congress is debating making troops buy into their GI Bill

http://www.militarytimes.com/articles/gi-bill-benefits-new-fees-future-enlistees-house-lawmakers

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That's how Montgomery GI Bill worked. You paid $100/mo for your first year and that $1200 magically became $30k+ during your enlistment.

When I enlisted, it was still offered. Post 9/11 wasn't law until a few years later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
man I still want the $1800 I paid into MGIB back.

I did the usual $1200 and the $600 kicker thing

but on the other hand 9/11 has given me an absurd amount of money more than MGIB did

• Locked thread