Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Caros posted:

Frankly his behavior actually helps him in some ways. If he'd snuck in to steal it, he'd be hosed. But this was a man pissed off that his brother conned him, and used an electrical device in the process. People would be more sympathetic to Jimmy than to chuck.
This is gonna be the axle on which the rest of this arc turns. Chuck is in an absolutely terrible position right now, it's just that none of the characters realize it, except for Kim who will patiently explain it to Jimmy in the next episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
The W is fine but the M is "a little crooked".

Also Hamlin's 'stealthy' running cracked me up.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
that is a really smart observation

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
I wasn't paying too much attention to pace in the first two seasons because we just binge-watched everything, but now that we're doing one episode a week I'm noticing it more. This episode was great, the cliffhangers at the end of the last episode (whether or not Chuck's plan would work and who put the tracker on Mike's car) were both tidily revealed, and now there are two new cliffhangers. Not sure if this was the way other seasons worked but I never felt like the show was slow. There is a lot of ostensibly mundane stuff happening but the tension is almost always there and in the end the viewer is rewarded with resolutions to the previous episode's questions.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo, there's a throwaway line in 5x09 of Breaking Bad where Saul threatens to send Francesca "back to the DMV." So that whole "I'm gonna call it the DMV" thing was a retcon.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
All this tracker stuff reminds me of the stuff with Hank getting Walt to plant the tracker on Gus's car, but they already knew he had to put one on before he'd even done it and of course Mike's the one that intercepts it after it's put on. And then later when Walt finds Hank's tracker on his car..

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.
So...potentially, assuming we didn't know that Jimmy eventually ends up still practicing law and whatnot...how deeply could Jimmy be in trouble at this point? What would the worst-case scenario be for him as he stands there in Chuck's house after his little meltdown?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
He can definitely be pinned for breaking and entering, as Chuck refused to let him inside, as well as breaking into a locked compartment. It's hard to say if they can do anything with the tape itself legally (if we're assuming Chuck placed a fake tape into the recorder with the assumption that Jimmy would try to steal it) but it could absolutely ruin Jimmy and Kim's reputations as lawyers if it gets played into the record. Chuck may not be able to put Jimmy in jail for tampering with his work, but he can absolutely use it to discredit him and have Kim lose her client.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

We know Jimmy has been convicted before, right? For the sunroof incident? Someone with a record and new criminal charges might not get the slap-on-the-wrist someone would get with a clean record.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Jimmy is rolling off the tape carefully and methodically until his anger gets the best of him, he yanks off the last bit and immediately we know he's off to make a different tape-related fuckup.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

h_double posted:

Jimmy is rolling off the tape carefully and methodically until his anger gets the best of him, he yanks off the last bit and immediately we know he's off to make a different tape-related fuckup.

That M looks a bit crooked.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

h_double posted:

They are never going to fix this.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

lotus circle posted:

He can definitely be pinned for breaking and entering, as Chuck refused to let him inside, as well as breaking into a locked compartment. It's hard to say if they can do anything with the tape itself legally (if we're assuming Chuck placed a fake tape into the recorder with the assumption that Jimmy would try to steal it) but it could absolutely ruin Jimmy and Kim's reputations as lawyers if it gets played into the record. Chuck may not be able to put Jimmy in jail for tampering with his work, but he can absolutely use it to discredit him and have Kim lose her client.

I was kinda sorta thinking something along those lines. As far as the tape itself goes, the writers pretty well established that it wouldn't be the smoking gun that many viewers might assume it to be. And I remember thinking at the time Jimmy first "confessed" that given the circumstances, his tone of voice, and the way his little speech was worded, it could easily be explained as nothing more than telling Chuck what he wanted to hear, enough to at least introduce a fair degree of "reasonable doubt" if you're talking about using it as evidence in a criminal trial. I mean, as a jury member, I'm pretty sure I'd go that way with it.

But, assuming Chuck's end game is nothing more than getting Jimmy out of the law business somehow (setting aside for the moment the likelihood that Chuck has gotten to the point where he wants to inflict as much damage as he possibly can), would the tape be enough for the bar association to yank his license? If so, is there a reason why Chuck wouldn't simply send it to them? Or would the whole "discrediting" thing be a matter of having this cloud of suspicion hanging over Jimmy's head and hoping the free market would take care of the rest? No big deal here in terms of critiquing the way the story is playing out. I'm just curious.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Chuck tells Hamlin that "Jimmy broke the law. He has to be punished."

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Should have barricaded the exits and lit chuck's house on fire.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

This show is so good. Waiting a week for each episode is getting tough since I've been spoiled by binging.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Not a lawyer, just spitballing:

"Destruction of Evidence" is only a crime if something is actually Evidence, ie there's a legal proceeding in progress that it's relevant to. Without a suit or charges filed, he may have destroyed evidence but he didn't Destroy Evidence.

Strictly speaking, in the course of that scene, he could be guilty of breaking & entering, menacing, destruction of property, etc.. But with the small amounts of value involved and it being product of a family feud instigated by a person with serious documented mental issues, it's not likely to get any traction, especially if he were to offer to pay for repairs to the door and desk plus some amount. Chuck could sue civilly for the damage, with the same results.

If that was the actual tape and he successfully destroyed it (which he didn't on screen, but maybe ~tv rules~ mean broken tape = unrecoverable) who's heard it who can testify to what it contained? At that point it's the word of a mentally unstable guy, a business partner who said unstable guy has enormous leverage over (both of whom profit significantly based on the tape being what they say it is), and a random PI they're paying, vs. the crazy guy's brother who cared for him for 18 months until a recent falling-out based on said mentally ill brother actively loving him out of a legitimate career.

If the real tape is safe elsewhere, it can be attacked and excluded for the reasons discussed on the show, and the same results follow.

All Jimmy has to do is call Hamlin up as a witness and get Chuck's scheming on record - Hamlin doesn't seem like the kind of dude who's going to straight up lie under oath. No matter how justified Chuck tries to make it, he blocked his own brother from a job at his own firm, and forced his business partner to take the heat instead of him.

He can also call up the doctor at the hospital and get "EMF sensitivity doesn't exist and is a mental condition" in front of the jury, along with the temporary custody order they got, and any credibility Chuck has goes *frrrrrrt*

End result: No legal consequences against Jimmy or Kim. I doubt they can fire Ernesto for doing what they actively manipulated him into doing, either.

BUT

that shitshow of a trial is a ton of negative publicity for both of them. Mesa Verde might drop Kim over it if it's made public but HHM isn't getting them back. They're gonna get the gently caress away from the drama if anything. We already know Chuck is totally okay with hurting Jimmy by hurting Kim, so that's still a win. And maybe it's what pushes him to start practicing under another name.

However, the first five minutes of the next episode might blow all that out the window, and that's not a bad thing!

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Yeah this is going to end with the House of McGill completely burning to the ground, with both brothers' credibility utterly ruined.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

MarksMan posted:

God I loving hate Chuck. I don't think Saul is a great guy either but I cannot stand Chuck. Just that type of personality, combined with the judgmental, holier-than-thou attitude.
I find it hilarious that he's such an seemingly upstanding lawyer, and the rest of his lawfirm also seems to act really morally, and then I switch to watching the OJ Simpson stuff on Netflix, and the lawyers are the worst scum on Earth.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Yeah, I definitely agree that if there's Mesa Verde fallout over this in any direct way, it's just going to be them telling Kim, "Hey, this is no reflection on your skills, but seriously, we need to get further way from this loving middle-school drama bullshit. Have a nice life."

But indirectly? No telling what Chuck might be scheming up.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SeANMcBAY posted:

This show is so good. Waiting a week for each episode is getting tough since I've been spoiled by binging.

Thankfully netflix started showing the probably excellent "girl boss" right afterwards, because these two shows probably have everything in common.

I hope netflix gets bought out by the lifetime channel.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
That had to be the best episode of the show. Hell, it's up there with the best of Breaking Bad. Every little thing mattered. Little details. The Volvo in the parking lot, the slow burn to reveal the name. Gus just showing up in the background out of focus as he cleans the store. The poo poo that went down at Chuck's house. Even the Cracker Barrel stuff was great. Seriously, old people love that poo poo. I usually don't rewatch episodes until later in preparation for a new season, but I gotta watch this again tonight.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
It took me 20 additional minutes to watch this episode as I kept pausing it to look at great shots, rewinding it ensure I missed nothing and just taking a break to say "Oh poo poo".

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
Is the receptionist lady they hire the same person that is Saul's receptionist in Breaking Bad?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

bbf2 posted:

Is the receptionist lady they hire the same person that is Saul's receptionist in Breaking Bad?

Yes.

http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Francesca

Edit: I wonder how far this show will go. With Gus and Francesca showing up, we are that much closer to Breaking Bad. I'm guessing maybe just one or two more seasons.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 18, 2017

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Better Call Saul Season 3: This guy really doesn't wanna talk about Cracker Barrel.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Cojawfee posted:

Yes.

Edit: I wonder how far this show will go. With Gus and Francesca showing up, we are that much closer to Breaking Bad. I'm guessing maybe just one or two more seasons.

Then there's the post Breaking Bad seasons. And the during Breaking Bad season.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Instead of stuff like "okay when is he gonna change his name to Saul" I'm looking forward to smaller milestones like "when is he gonna get that awful inflatable statue of liberty"

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Instead of stuff like "okay when is he gonna change his name to Saul" I'm looking forward to smaller milestones like "when is he gonna get that awful inflatable statue of liberty"

Inflatable Gorilla in this episode foreshadowing it in this episode in case people missed it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I'm just now watching it and jfc this is the best show on television.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Awful? Awful? I'm looking forward to the the auction I'm hoping they'll have to dispose of props after the show is over. I'll be bidding on that sucker hard, because I want to put it on top of my house.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Cojawfee posted:

Yes.

They do a really good job with making people look younger on this show.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Personally I want this show to end on Jimmy changing his name to Saul Goodman. We don't need to see the early Saul years when we already know what that was like. Let it end on the beginning of Jimmy's new life.

Basically the closer we get to Saul's inception, the closer we get to the series ending.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The thing I'm interested in the most is what happens to Kim.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

TBeats posted:

The thing I'm interested in the most is what happens to Kim.

It's gunna be just ridiculously tragic, probably.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

sout posted:

It's gunna be just ridiculously tragic, probably.

That's what I expect :(

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

I don't normally notice the cinematography but the last episode was beautiful looking. Shame the ratings are so low.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Kim gets sent to a nice farm where she can practice law as long as she wants.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Kim falls pretty far after the events of BCS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

mallratcal posted:

I don't normally notice the cinematography but the last episode was beautiful looking. Shame the ratings are so low.

Maybe they can add some zombies.

• Locked thread