Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

JFairfax posted:

So what are you guys going to do to ensure the torrid tories do not win?

Or are you all just going to moan on here and do nothing?

Seeing as the nearest Labour seat that the Tories can win is over 330 miles away, not much. Unless you fancy bankrolling me, covering my travel, accommodation & living expenses?

18th April, 1686 - English judge, politician & Chancellor of the Exchequer under James I Sir Julius Caesar died.

Only notable because of his name really.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
i'm going to build a little fort out of pillows and blankets in my room and never come out again and cry on occasion

this is the best of all possible plans

saved by my relentless habit of adding qualifiers to everything

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

JFairfax posted:

So what are you guys going to do to ensure the torrid tories do not win?

Or are you all just going to moan on here and do nothing?

I'm out canvassing for local elections tomorrow, so I'll just carry on, I expect. I'll probably get asked to do it 20 miles down the road, though, where Labour are 2nd.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, did Tim Farron seriously refuse to rule out a coalition with Tories on C4 news? Holy shitballs

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
This whole thing is such a mess of contradictions. Seems like it's impossible for May to keep on with her "now is not the time" line with a second indyref, for instance.

A snap poll for the Graun suggests that most people think another election would be just fabbydoo though

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

TheRat posted:

Wait, did Tim Farron seriously refuse to rule out a coalition with Tories on C4 news? Holy shitballs

Of course. He's said this plenty.

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

the great hope of remainers everywhere is some christian homophobe, fantastic

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
The Brighton constituency parties still seem to be a poo poo show.

Greens have pavilion nailed down but I wonder if Labour can win Kemptown off the tories as Simon Kirby is not popular. Expect that Peter Kyle would be reasonably safe.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

He seems to be getting quite a bit of trouble tonight

https://twitter.com/ladyhaja/status/854419268401811457

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

MiddleOne posted:

For the record, Corbyn is a loving idiot if he lets Theresa May call a general election.

Has that ever been in dispute?

Anyway, if the "opposition" refuses to stand against the government in an election, in what sense are the the "opposition" anymore?

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

The Brighton constituency parties still seem to be a poo poo show.

Greens have pavilion nailed down but I wonder if Labour can win Kemptown off the tories as Simon Kirby is not popular. Expect that Peter Kyle would be reasonably safe.
It was dead close last time and Labour actually gained that one to the west, hove and whatever, so i'll vote labour as im in kemptown, might actually turn the cunts over.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot
Which party offers me the most neetbux to buy chicken tendies and Sainsbury's cola cola with?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Zephro posted:

This whole thing is such a mess of contradictions. Seems like it's impossible for May to keep on with her "now is not the time" line with a second indyref, for instance.

Why? This election will be over in about six weeks, at a time when the EU is still considering its article 50 response. No Brexit progress will be made between now and then anyway.

A second Scottish independence referendum would take between 18 months and 2 years, and be rumbling on throughout the Brexit negotiations.

The two things are not comparable.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Comrade Cheggorsky posted:

the great hope of remainers everywhere is some christian homophobe, fantastic

Who knew there could be a downside for voting for a terrible party based on one issue?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Ahahaha he's already whining about debates!

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

hakimashou posted:

What the gently caress are you on about?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Corbyn will do well in the debates

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

hakimashou posted:

So does the word "whining" now just mean "a person i don't like has a complaint about a thing" or what, I hate TV debates with a passion but he seems to have a valid point of view on this.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

See also: every interview featuring a person that someone doesn't like being described as a car-crash

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

Corbyn will do well in the debates

He's poo poo at talking so his only hope would be to do less badly than May, but it's irrelevant as there aren't going to be any debates.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Refusing to debate your opponents prior to a general election shows a lot of cowardice and total contempt for the electorate.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Well isn't this exciting.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

See also: every interview featuring a person that someone doesn't like being described as a car-crash

The leader of the Liberal Democrats refusing to answer if homosexuality is a sin or not, while also refusing to rule out a Tory coalition. How would you describe this, if not car-crash? Train-wreck? Catastrofuck?

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
Oh Good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1QmTkGI-xE

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Private Speech posted:

But then

NRVNQSR posted:

That doesn't sound like a great idea. Surely repealing one of their own anti-corruption bills immediately before an election would be a bit of an own goal?

And a bunch of other posts by OwlFancier (who actually is a really good poster in comparison to be fair, I'm really sorry about this OF)
Notably as far as I can tell no-one seems to be seriously talking about repealing it. It sounds like the most likely result will be a supermajority of parliament backing an early election, which is the FTPA working exactly as designed.

If Labour had chosen to fight tooth and nail against an election from the beginning then I think it could have reflected badly on the Tories; either a self-no-confidence or a repeal of FTPA would have been embarrassing for them. But since an election happening is a foregone conclusion, welcoming it and fighting that tooth and nail reflects well on Labour, so it's not a terrible approach either.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Corbyn is actually very good at talking, if you bothered to watch him in the brexit debates you will know this.

He is well informed and is able to make logical coherent arguments within a consistent ideological framework.

This just doesn't lend itself to sound bytes and you have to pay attention for more than a couple of minutes

JFairfax fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 18, 2017

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
This election is fantastic, it's a chance to kick the tories out in June!!

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Pissflaps posted:

He's poo poo at talking so his only hope would be to do less badly than May, but it's irrelevant as there aren't going to be any debates.
He is an excellent passionate speaker whereas that hag May comes across as a braying mental posh headmistress, how are you forming this opinion or is it just more of the usual?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Tim Farron is an awful human being. Hey TinTower, how do you justify voting for this guy again? Especially considering your views on LGBT+ matters?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

Corbyn is actually very good at talking, if you bothered to watch him in the brexit debates you will know this.

Corbyn didn't do Brexit TV debates.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

TV debates are poo poo anyway

e: and I'm not defending anyone here, they're all poo poo

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Seaside Loafer posted:

He is an excellent passionate speaker whereas that hag May comes across as a braying mental posh headmistress, how are you forming this opinion or is it just more of the usual?

Lets criticise her without resorting to sexist language.

I've seen Corbyn speak a number of times - I just don't see this famous 'passion' that gets you so excited. And nor do most people.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

Corbyn didn't do Brexit TV debates.

http://news.sky.com/video/in-full-jeremy-corbyn-takes-part-in-sky-news-eu-debates-10320180

He did

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Seaside Loafer posted:

lmao

He is atrocious at speaking publicly, despite being an MP for most of his adult life. May also sucks, that is true.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

McDragon posted:

TV debates are poo poo anyway

e: and I'm not defending anyone here, they're all poo poo

They are. They don't persuade anyone, just Question Time on steroids and an unwelcome recent addition to our political landscape.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
meanwhile in japan-i mean france

https://twitter.com/JLMelenchon/status/854387339153604613

maybe corbyn would be more popular if he had holograms and anime references

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Miftan posted:

Tim Farron is an awful human being. Hey TinTower, how do you justify voting for this guy again? Especially considering your views on LGBT+ matters?

Tintower is exited about Faron praying for her to be fixed

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
If Corbyn Labour does significantly worse than Blairite Labour in the election, do you think that people will just start just blatantly lying through their teeth about blairism being less popular than corbynism?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What if Tim Tam is right and homosexuality is a sin? Like eating shellfish and wanking and cheeseburgers?

Does anything actually change? It's not illegal and it's not bad for you, it just makes some Middle Eastern desert god sad, like women driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

quote:

Jeremy Corbyn, leader of the Labour Party and Remain supporter in the EU referendum spoke to a live studio audience of under-35s and took on their questions.

Not my idea of a debate.

• Locked thread