Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I'm guessing the next thing will be something small like leviathans was as opposed to a major dlc, but who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I could see them rolling something out for late august maybe, no idea really. It will be another mega DLC like this one so it might take longer.
Wonder how this DLC has been selling. Wiz was saying it's the biggest one they've ever made, so I'm curious how profitable it was. Did the extra time/budget put into Utopia translate into increased sales?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Sheriff posted:

Is there a mod that increases the amount of ethos, civic, and trait points in the empire creator screen? I'm building a bunch of custom races/empires and I feel a little constrained by the default numbers. I did a quick search and most seem to give the randomly spawned empires either 99 or 0 points, so I guess I'm looking for one that allows me to transcend the limits for custom empires, while leaving the ones that are automatically generated alone.

I had a mod for this but it effects randomly genned empires as well.

However, prebuilt empires don't, I think, have any restrictions, so you could easily make a mod of your own and edit the files directly to give a race whatever you want, and then select it to play as, and it should work. It's how I got the "triple xenophobes" I posted about a few pages back.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I don't think it's as cut and dry as you state. Habitability doesn't matter since I can tailor the species to whatever planet they're currently living on. I have 8 trait points to play with which means I can be as flexible as necessary. One thing you missed was that the uplifted species traits can't be modified or added, which seems a bit silly and might be worth modding, but you're also tossing in edicts and policies which disrupts things a bit.

This is all true, but the chief difference I wanted to point out by bringing Share the Burden into it is that for synth empires, it affects Energy and Sciences output too and makes them directly competitive with optimal genemods. It's a bonus inherent to synthetics, so I felt it should be included. Granted, gene mod empires can build synths too and make use of it, but if you're running synths in any way and not using StB something is direly wrong.

But you've convinced me to give gene modding another go.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

Guilliman posted:

I redid the search, I might have missspelled ignore_

It's findinding two instances of ignore_portrait_duplication:

SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Stellaris\prescripted_countries\00_prescripted_countries.txt (2 hits)
Line 4: ignore_portrait_duplication = yes
Line 67: ignore_portrait_duplication = yes

I have a question. How are you searching for a specific text string in every file at once?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I bet the next obvious DLC is the superweapons one, with the accompanying patch being the army and war overhaul, like how factions are not a Utopia feature.

I could also see it being the introduction of Wiz's desired Goals replacing Victory Conditions.

After that will be the diplomacy overhaul, complete with new Federation mechanics and types.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

VirtualStranger posted:

I have a question. How are you searching for a specific text string in every file at once?

Grep or something that has a "find in files" search function - Notepad++ has one for example.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

My chill space empire has territory completely surrounding this other chill space empire. Join my Federation, my little buddha frog friends! If only to make the map look less silly.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

GenericOverusedName posted:

Grep or something that has a "find in files" search function - Notepad++ has one for example.

I just found it. I've been using N++ this entire time and never even noticed it

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?

BenRGamer posted:

Never trust the sector ai to not replace good stuff with bad stuff.

So... don't let it.

Thanks. I appreciate knowing that the feature is broken/a trap at the moment. More so than earlier when told I was weird for not liking the results.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Does the expansion stand on its own, or do you guys think it is best to do the standard "wait for a patch before you buy the DLC" move?

Looking at the paid vs patch features, Utopia seems best for those who might like playing as purgers, slavers or Hive Minds (which I do), or those who spend a lot of time playing with endgame content with its megastructures and such. If I didn't think that was entertaining I would think $18 too high a price for the remaining content.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

In the Sol starting system is Earth always a size-16?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Mister Adequate posted:

In the Sol starting system is Earth always a size-16?

Yeah, which sucks. Which is why I modded earth to always be size 25 :)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Baronjutter posted:

Normally I have the homeworld mod but I want to get Suffer Not The Alien as the Imperium and it's a surprisingly big handicap when other fuckers have like a size 21 homeworld or something. :saddowns:

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Same, but with every homeworld.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also speaking of mods, I got all the "TINY X" mods and they've made the game so much better. It took a little getting use to the condensed interfaces but being able to have like 20 planets, a bunch of fleets and armies and other poo poo fitting without needing to constantly scroll up/down to see it all is such a godsend.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
What is the Star Trek mod everyone is talking about?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Sexual Aluminum posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=688086068&searchtext=

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Sexual Aluminum posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=688086068

That right there. It's surprisingly great.

e; ^ You son of a bitch :argh:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
It's a really, really good mod.

Redchaostry
Nov 27, 2008
My current game was going pretty well. Had a decent amount of space, content people, most of the traditions unlocked, and building my first ring world. Unbidden decide that they want to come to the party. They setup behind a Holy Guardian FE that tells the rest of the galaxy to gently caress off. The portal is literally 2 hyperlane jumps from the capital of the FE. Takes the Unbidden about 4 years to eat the FE, and now they are about 12 hyperlane jumps from my capital. Another FE wakes up to fight a threat to the galaxy. About a year later, after I have destroyed about 4 of the Unbidden's fleets, the Awaken Empire declares on one of my defensive pact members.

I have had 2 planets consumed by the Unbidden, and just lost a planet to the AE invasion. This game is going down fast.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MarquiseMindfang posted:

This is all true, but the chief difference I wanted to point out by bringing Share the Burden into it is that for synth empires, it affects Energy and Sciences output too and makes them directly competitive with optimal genemods. It's a bonus inherent to synthetics, so I felt it should be included. Granted, gene mod empires can build synths too and make use of it, but if you're running synths in any way and not using StB something is direly wrong.

But you've convinced me to give gene modding another go.

I agree that it's relevant. Nerve stapled genemodded super slaves would also provide the benefit to energy.

FWIW you've made me want to try a synth run at some point. That's the best part about this game, it's not like we can't try everything!

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Early on I actually like to just slam out corvettes with nothing but guns and power. No ancillary systems no upgrades except for guns. Only when I reach fleet cap and require additional power per naval point do I actually refit them to minmax for power.

The mineral cost for the bells and whistles is generally less effective since you only get a couple points of evade out of the whole deal and maybe another 80 effective HP.

Until you start getting the good poo poo, like shield capacitors (which are huuge on shielded ships), the upgrades are just some more EHP and small bonuses around the edges. Even then I like to keep a stripped down offensive budget corvette design chilling in case I need to pump up fleet somewhere really fast. A torp corvette with guns and power bolted on sitting on a warp snare + space port can do appreciable damage to an invading force and can be scrambled very quickly if you just queue 2-3 of them from every space port you own. If the bad guys are loaded with flak and poo poo this will obviously not work very well so ymmv.
What's the deal with shield capacitors?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Baronjutter posted:

Also speaking of mods, I got all the "TINY X" mods and they've made the game so much better. It took a little getting use to the condensed interfaces but being able to have like 20 planets, a bunch of fleets and armies and other poo poo fitting without needing to constantly scroll up/down to see it all is such a godsend.

I checked this out because I had been wondering why all windows were so loving big and looked kinda like an 800x600 late 90's game, and I see there's also a 1080p UI overhaul which from the screenshots seems to make everything much saner even without the tiny x mods

Why is a game made in TYOOL 2016 not optimized for 1080p already?

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 18, 2017

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Soup du Journey posted:

What's the deal with shield capacitors?

Significant continuous shield regen in combat. It's a big deal.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Playing my first game in months, I'm the preeminent empire in the Galaxy with well over a third of the systems. Unbidden show up on me in one of my core colonies and eat everyone's face. Four fleets, of 50-60k power each.

I have, maybe 80k combined total fleet power spread into the various provinces and the best weapons are level 2 plasma throwers and level 3 ion disruptors. The rest of the Galaxy ain't give a gently caress, the two FEs are 2-4 system midget empires and more insular than normal.

I'm totally boned in this timeline. Do I feel guilt over save scumming this one? gently caress no, they showed up early for no reason (no one had jump drives yet).

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Nuclearmonkee posted:

A big awesome deal. My science ship with capacitors got caught in firing range of a mining station, and scanned its planet while giving no fucks about being shot up. Real combat ships fare even better, especially the smaller ones.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

The bigger mystery is why auto-genning designs seem to favor afterburners on cruisers over shield capacitors.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Nuclearmonkee posted:

BurntCornMuffin posted:

A big awesome deal. My science ship with capacitors got caught in firing range of a mining station, and scanned its planet while giving no fucks about being shot up. Real combat ships fare even better, especially the smaller ones.

Not to be a negative nancy, but are you guys sure about that? I stacked them in a little trial I just ran and in a large engagement my ships seem to get focused down too quickly for it to really make much of a difference.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Soup du Journey posted:

Not to be a negative nancy, but are you guys sure about that? I stacked them in a little trial I just ran and in a large engagement my ships seem to get focused down too quickly for it to really make much of a difference.

It matters more at smaller scales, earlier on, and on smaller ships.

Late game is just near instant fiery death for everyone and a contest of who designed better, has more tech and more poo poo.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Slung Blade posted:

Playing my first game in months, I'm the preeminent empire in the Galaxy with well over a third of the systems. Unbidden show up on me in one of my core colonies and eat everyone's face. Four fleets, of 50-60k power each.

I've had the Unbidden pop up in an oddly unpopulated quadrant of the galaxy for unknown reasons. Curious to see how long it takes them to actually go to civilization.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Aside from the ascension ones, how do you guys rate the various perks? I always find the one that clears all the tile blockers to be a solid first choice, personally, but some of the other stuff I'm not so sure about.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Mastery of Nature is great, yeah. I also like the one that gives +5 core systems because I'm a control freak.

I don't like the ringworld one though. It's comes so late and takes so long that I don't think it deserves its own perk.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Jabarto posted:

Mastery of Nature is great, yeah. I also like the one that gives +5 core systems because I'm a control freak.
:spergin::hf::spergin:

Nuclearmonkee posted:

It matters more at smaller scales, earlier on, and on smaller ships.

Late game is just near instant fiery death for everyone and a contest of who designed better, has more tech and more poo poo.
ok yeah that makes sense. i could see it being important in lower tech skirmishes

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Dr Snofeld posted:

Aside from the ascension ones, how do you guys rate the various perks? I always find the one that clears all the tile blockers to be a solid first choice, personally, but some of the other stuff I'm not so sure about.

My opinions:

Very amazing:
Mastery of Nature (clear blockers for free, get the techs)

Solid but boring:
Interstellar Dominion (Border Range +25%)
Technological Ascendancy (Research Speed: +10%)

Probably not worth it, but it depends on your play style:
Consecrated Worlds (create holy worlds with temporary buffs; this seems to me like it should be permanent)
One Vision (ethics attraction +30%, unity +10%; I tend to run without worrying about ethics divergence and with too many worlds for the unity buff to help)
Galactic Force Projection (+200 naval capacity; I find my energy balance is my real naval cap anyway)
World Shaper (Terraforming speed doubled; I use different species and +habitability instead of terraforming)
Defender of the Galaxy (+50% crises; mostly worthless except during a crisis)
Galactic Contender (+33% to FE; mostly worthless except during one or two wars)
Master Builders (+33% speed / -25% cost to build megastructures; megastructures come too late)
Voidborne (habitats; see Master Builders)
The Circle of Life (ring worlds; see Master Builders)
Galactic Wonders (megastructures; see Master Builders)

Oh hell no:
Imperial Prerogative (+5 core sector systems; pass on extra micro, thanks)

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

ulmont posted:

I've had the Unbidden pop up in an oddly unpopulated quadrant of the galaxy for unknown reasons. Curious to see how long it takes them to actually go to civilization.

Couldn't tell you. After they vaporized my entire fleet I welped the gently caress out back to an older saved game. Event didn't trigger that time.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
It also depends on what weapons the enemy has. If they have a lot of armor penetration and/or -shield damage they're going to focus fire on ships that have no shields left, but if they have +shield damage and not much armor penetration they're going to switch to shooting at ships that still have shields. Then the shield capacitors let your ships regen their shields back up, and the enemy shoots them again, and your ships live for a really long time.

e:

ulmont posted:

Consecrated Worlds (create holy worlds with temporary buffs; this seems to me like it should be permanent)

It lasts for a hundred years, that's pretty long, and possibly practically permanent since you're not going to keep playing for a hundred years after getting it.

Staltran fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 18, 2017

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Looks like in 1.6 you will get a tech to terraform inhabited planets, and colonization will not be possible while a planet is terraforming.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Jabarto posted:

I don't like the ringworld one though. It's comes so late and takes so long that I don't think it deserves its own perk.

I think its more that Voidborne has no right to be its own perk instead of a mid-game tech.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

LordAbaddon posted:

I think its more that Voidborne has no right to be its own perk instead of a mid-game tech.

I could see Voidborne staying an ascension perk, but it definitely should be positioned as a first or second potential pick instead of locked into deep, deep engineering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

thatdarnedbob posted:

Thanks. I appreciate knowing that the feature is broken/a trap at the moment. More so than earlier when told I was weird for not liking the results.

Honestly, its a general rule. Never trust AI to do what you want.

Wonky AI is wonky.

You did deliberately let it off the leash.

• Locked thread