Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

The robot murder quest was based off the mod autumn leaves right?
Probably. A lot of the similarities can be put down to coincidence or "references the same material". But everything put together just looks kinda suspicious.
Autumn Leaves' creator was perfectly cool with the idea that Bethesda was "inspired" by his mod though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Raygereio posted:

Probably. A lot of the similarities can be put down to coincidence or "references the same material". But everything put together just looks kinda suspicious.
Autumn Leaves' creator was perfectly cool with the idea that Bethesda was "inspired" by his mod though.

The similarities aren't really explainable as coincidences. The concept, certain scenes, lines of dialogue, and general characterisation are similar or identical.

I mean, it seems like a bit of a stretch that both would be set in a vault populated by robots, with one of them showing you paintings, and making the same joke in that scene, by pure coincidence.

SynchronizedCocks
Aug 22, 2004

If a zombie has wooden flooring... does they put it down themselves, or pay someone else to do it?

turn off the TV posted:

The similarities aren't really explainable as coincidences. The concept, certain scenes, lines of dialogue, and general characterisation are similar or identical.

I mean, it seems like a bit of a stretch that both would be set in a vault populated by robots, with one of them showing you paintings, and making the same joke in that scene, by pure coincidence.

I knew they copied the concept, I didn't realise it went as far as dialogue. That's pretty funny, I mean there's something admirable about that level of shamelessness.

I never finished Nuka World either, got as far as being asked to take over my old settlements and found it too jarring. Especially since I was the Silver Shroud. By that point it seemed like a bad joke. Builds big new theme park world. Sends you to the commonwealth to do missions.
I had more fun with Fallout Shelter than NW.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I watched Joseph Anderson's Fallout 4 videos a couple of days ago, and while it goes against my better judgement, and while I still need to finish the Skyrim DLC, I've thought about reinstalling Fallout 4 again. However, I was wondering if there were any recommended mods that are worth installing. One of the things that disappointed me about F4 was that the weapon selection seemed pretty limited compared to Fallout: New Vegas. I get that a lot of the weapon variation came from weapon modding, but it seems like the majority of weapons I found were variants of the pipe weapons.

If it goes on sale, is any of the DLC worth picking up? Like I said, I watched the reviews that Joseph Anderson did, and the impression I got was that Far Harbor is pretty interesting, but that Nuka World is only really suited to you if you're playing a raider-style character. Other than that, most everything else looks like settlement building stuff, which I never really bothered with when I played through the first time, but was still curious about.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Max Wilco posted:

If it goes on sale, is any of the DLC worth picking up? Like I said, I watched the reviews that Joseph Anderson did, and the impression I got was that Far Harbor is pretty interesting, but that Nuka World is only really suited to you if you're playing a raider-style character. Other than that, most everything else looks like settlement building stuff, which I never really bothered with when I played through the first time, but was still curious about.

I thought both Nuka World and Far Harbor were well done. I don't like that there doesn't appear to be an alternate reason to clear out Nuka World if you aren't doing it for the resident gangs, but there's quite a bit of gameplay there. You can always secure the various sub-areas then kill the gangs, I did.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

There's also the Automatron DLC, which lets you build and customize robot followers, in addition to having a shortish quest chain to help you collect all the possible upgrades.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Max Wilco posted:

I watched Joseph Anderson's Fallout 4 videos a couple of days ago, and while it goes against my better judgement, and while I still need to finish the Skyrim DLC, I've thought about reinstalling Fallout 4 again. However, I was wondering if there were any recommended mods that are worth installing. One of the things that disappointed me about F4 was that the weapon selection seemed pretty limited compared to Fallout: New Vegas. I get that a lot of the weapon variation came from weapon modding, but it seems like the majority of weapons I found were variants of the pipe weapons.

Fallout 4's vanilla weapon selection is super disappointing, I agree. Fortunately, there are quite a few high quality weapon mods. There are good ones for the DKS-501 sniper, 10mm SMG, 12.7mm pistol, and RPD Chinese assault rifle. I've also become quite fond of the trench gun, though its animations are a little wonky, and the Schofield revolver is awesome and fits the game very well. The only energy weapon I've liked is the Plasma cycler.

Here's a huge unformatted bucket full of links to said mods: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/21922/ http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/15909/ http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/13283/ http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/22223/ http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/20321/ http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23434/ http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/20636/

Far Harbor is great, the settlement stuff is dumb like you would expect, Nuka World is fun except for the fact that it requires you to raid your own settlements and has a dumb premise but the world is cool (Bethesda game etc).

The thing is a lot of mods require various official DLCs though. So if you want settlement mods many require the wasteland workshop DLCs, a lot of guns require Nuka World for the animation sets it adds, etc.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

aniviron posted:

Fallout 4's vanilla weapon selection is super disappointing, I agree. Fortunately, there are quite a few high quality weapon mods. There are good ones for the DKS-501 sniper, 10mm SMG, 12.7mm pistol, and RPD Chinese assault rifle. I've also become quite fond of the trench gun, though its animations are a little wonky, and the Schofield revolver is awesome and fits the game very well. The only energy weapon I've liked is the Plasma cycler.

Here's a huge unformatted bucket full of links to said mods: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/21922/ http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/15909/ http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/13283/ http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/22223/ http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/20321/ http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23434/ http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/20636/

Far Harbor is great, the settlement stuff is dumb like you would expect, Nuka World is fun except for the fact that it requires you to raid your own settlements and has a dumb premise but the world is cool (Bethesda game etc).

The thing is a lot of mods require various official DLCs though. So if you want settlement mods many require the wasteland workshop DLCs, a lot of guns require Nuka World for the animation sets it adds, etc.

I guess I'll have to watch and see when it goes on sale next and pick it up. Thanks for the links.

Aside from weapons, are the any other essential mods that I'd want to have or check out? The first time through the game, I never used the mod that displayed the dialog choices in full, so that's one I'll have to install. Other than that, I don't know what else there is worth checking out; I haven't seen a Fallout 4 mod thread.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Max Wilco posted:

I haven't seen a Fallout 4 mod thread.

Fallout 4 Modding thread.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

Raygereio posted:

The Script Extenders aren't completely new scripting engines though. The core functionality is basically stapling new functions onto the existing scripting language.
As for why Bethesda has never incorporated it: Bethesda added the stuff they needed to develop the game. Nothing more because they didn't all that extra stuff. They for example don't need to jury rig a hotkey via a script with the Script Extender's GetIsKeyPressed function, because they could add a hotkey to the control scheme that's hardcoded in the executable.
And most of the Extender's functions were requests from modders. Someone went "I want a function that does X" and the devs went "Sure, here you go!". That's not really feasible for a company like Bethesda to do.

The system Bethesda has actually can be quite versatile and could allow for fancy things like branching paths and whatnot. The problem is more that Bethesda's quest design never utilizes their own system's potential.

Yes it doesn't make sense to blame the scripting or engine when New Vegas exists.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You know, it surprises me given this game's colonial theme that it didn't have horses. Especially given its engine provenance means they're already mostly implemented.

I mean, makes sense in a post-fall society to fall back to horses. Plus, there could've been cool mutated horses and Synth infiltration horses with laser eyes and Brotherhood mecha-mounts that fire missiles from their arses.

And imagine a poster with Hancock doing the classic rearing-horse pose on a two-headed horse, molotov in hand instead of bell. FALLOUT 4: GIVE ME FREEDOM COS DEATH DIDN'T TAKE.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 18, 2017

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

MikeJF posted:

You know, it surprises me given this game's colonial theme that it didn't have horses. Especially given its engine provenance means they're already mostly implemented.

I mean, makes sense in a post-fall society to fall back to horses. Plus, there could've been cool mutated horses and Synth infiltration horses with laser eyes and Brotherhood mecha-mounts that fire missiles from their arses.

And imagine a poster with Hancock doing the classic rearing-horse pose on a two-headed horse, molotov in hand instead of bell. FALLOUT 4: GIVE ME FREEDOM COS DEATH DIDN'T TAKE.

Someone should make a mod where you can buy horses from a talking deathclaw.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The new Zelda game lets you sneak up on and ride deer, ergo fallout should let me ride a radstag.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Speaking of other things already in the engine that would've been cool: duel wielding. Like c'mon guys, that was one of Skyrim's big things and going all john woo with a pair of pistols would have been much cooler than awkwardly flailing around with two swords. Maybe allow the player to dual wield rifles as well if you're in power armor so you can stomp around like the terminator in the police station scene.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Dual wielding would be the only way I use a SMG or full auto rifle.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

MikeJF posted:

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Maybe the next game will have RadStallions.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I remember when FO:T was being developed when someone asked if horses would be in the game and when told no they then asked why and one of the devs mentioned that horses are actually rather fragile and it wouldn't take much to kill off the species, much less than a nuclear war. Granted this is Fallout and very little of the universe is actually grounded in reality. I think the main issue with them adding horses here is that people would much rather have another Highwayman or a motorcycle or some Mad Max-esque vehicle, not a horse. And as with most other Bethesda games the horses you do get can barely move faster than you can already run because everything in the game must be limited by the speed in which the surrounding cells load around you.

There are mods out there that added vehicles to both FO3 and 4 but when you start hitting top speed you'll often be racing off into the void because the world can't keep up with you, not very immersive. The worlds also tend to be rather cluttered and it would probably just be fustrating trying to navigate around all the wreckage and debris strewn everywhere.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Well, if you can't have horses I wouldn't mind some other critter you ride. Hell, just clamber on top of a Sentry Bot.

THAT SAID: A lot of the little things they changed for Fallout 4 I don't mind. Power Armor needing fusion cores, Sentry Bots overheating, ghouls having hair, etc...

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah fusion cores didn't bother me because you have so many towards the end you can pretty much use power armor indefinitely. I hardly ever use power armor though because when your inside it the view seems really distorted to me and it makes it hard to see small items.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hell, I even like power armor needing fusion cores from a storytelling perspective. When you're looking for the missing Brotherhood recon team, one of them says on the holotape that his core's down to 5% and it'll be useless soon, so they're in deep doo-doo.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I think the main issue with them adding horses here is that people would much rather have another Highwayman or a motorcycle or some Mad Max-esque vehicle, not a horse.

That's why I suggested RadHorses and CyberHorses and Synth laserhorses and BoS MechaHorses.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

MikeJF posted:

That's why I suggested RadHorses and CyberHorses and Synth laserhorses and BoS MechaHorses.

Sounds like something straight outa FOBOS

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I could see there being engine support for horseback riding left over from Oblivion/Skyrim and there's the Giddy-Up Buttercup model right there ready for use. Probably would need to copy over the old animation files though, and likely some hand-crafted ESP files and/or Script Extender assistance.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I'd like to to think the canon reason why you need to keep switching out power cores for you Power Armor and other stuff is because after 200 some years the cores you're finding have nearly lost their charge from disuse and time, but I know no one at Bethesda put much thought into.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Speedball posted:

Hell, just clamber on top of a Sentry Bot.

There's a mod that does exactly this. See if your Nexus-Fu is better than mine to find it!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Back Hack posted:

I'd like to to think the canon reason why you need to keep switching out power cores for you Power Armor and other stuff is because after 200 some years the cores you're finding have nearly lost their charge from disuse and time, but I know no one at Bethesda put much thought into.

Needing to find and hoard fusion cores is also a perfect motivation for the institute to be infiltrating the rest of society. Wanting to get synths in positions where they can divert as many cores to them as possible makes a lot of sense. Why bother to invest the resources in finding them yourselves if you can just have humans bring them to your agents?

The institute being a very small group of incredibly capable people limited entirely by resource scarcity, and needing to find ways to work around that, would have been so much better than what Bethesda went with.

E: You could have a nice plot line about utilitarianism and past versus future. The Institute is doing pretty terrible things and dooming many people, but in the end creating a new source of power that would allow society to massively rebuild and advance. The people of the Commonwealth rely on old world technology, but will have a pretty massive catastrophe when the last of the fusion cores are consumed.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 18, 2017

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

My biggest problem with the Institute was what a weirdo Shaun was. He doesn't seem to have started a family there, and seems pretty indifferent to his actual family. The part where he says letting the player find the Institute instead of bringing you there from the start was kind of an experiment exposed him as pretty much being a monster. Being able to take over as the leader once he's dead was a pretty convincing counterargument though; the Institute with better leadership could do a lot of good.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 18, 2017

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Isn't your first act as the Institute's leader to kill everyone who disagrees with you then sit around while everyone else does exactly what they were doing before?

I think they tried (very lazily) to give the Institute some modivation and back story when the mentioned in one email that the 'Commonwealth Provisional Government' was falling apart dispite their attempts to keep it together and it was probably doomed to failure. Of course no one else in the game makes mention of such an organization or any prior attempts to create a formal, regional governing body so it either happened a long time ago or Bethesda just completely dropped it. Given what the Institute has been up to I'm pretty sure it was a lovely attempt to fix things anyway.

All the orginizations just seemed so disjointed in the grand scheme of things.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Isn't your first act as the Institute's leader to kill everyone who disagrees with you then sit around while everyone else does exactly what they were doing before?

I think they tried (very lazily) to give the Institute some modivation and back story when the mentioned in one email that the 'Commonwealth Provisional Government' was falling apart dispite their attempts to keep it together and it was probably doomed to failure. Of course no one else in the game makes mention of such an organization or any prior attempts to create a formal, regional governing body so it either happened a long time ago or Bethesda just completely dropped it. Given what the Institute has been up to I'm pretty sure it was a lovely attempt to fix things anyway.

Purging more people later on if they don't get with the program seems like it would be a viable option. It isn't too hard to imagine how a player who's in charge of the Minutemen and has been helping them establish new settlements to civilize the Commonwealth could use that organization to help the Institute start interacting with the surface without the need for synths either.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The Institute seemed so strong that the synth thing was pointless cruelty

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
The Institute is basically the Think Tank from the New Vegas expansion Old World Blues but played entirely straight instead of comedic.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Nick tells you about the CPG when he's talking about synth paranoia. From the Wasteland's perspective, the Institute sabotaged their attempts at union with a synth agent. The Institute says that they were the ones trying to form it in the first place. That other groups started the fight, and the only one who survived was one of their synth agents. There's also some archived holotapes that back that up. You're letting your dislike of Bethesda invent plot holes where they actually cover stuff reasonably well.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Gobblecoque posted:

The Institute is basically the Think Tank from the New Vegas expansion Old World Blues but played entirely straight instead of comedic.

Now I am imagining the player meeting Father and him turning out to be terrified by your hand-penises.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Sinteres posted:

The part where he says letting the player find the Institute instead of bringing you there from the start was kind of an experiment exposed him as pretty much being a monster.

More like idiot.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

His plan to force the player to find the institute themselves didn't work in my game because I didn't give enough of a poo poo about the plot to get there.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The Institute makes more sense if you just pretend their full name is the Gizmonic Institute.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

turn off the TV posted:

His plan to force the player to find the institute themselves didn't work in my game because I didn't give enough of a poo poo about the plot to get there.

I quit the game for over a year before I got there, but I made it eventually.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Gobblecoque posted:

Essentially, yeah. They've been breeding Super Mutants for no reason other than to breed them for decades! Assholes. The scientist who invented Cazadores would be proud.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Speedball posted:

Essentially, yeah. They've been breeding Super Mutants for no reason other than to breed them for decades! Assholes. The scientist who invented Cazadores would be proud.

Now now, the Cazadores are completely contained. And even if they weren't, they're completely sterile!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The early game is better once you realize you can get at the roof of the Museum of Freedom by jumping onto the crashed vertibird from the church next door, grab the power armor, minigun and bobblehead, and Preston says "What? You're just gonna leave?!" if you get out without talking to him.
It doesn't trigger the Deathclaw fight, but whatever. Preston and his gang will just stay holed up in the Museum forever, even if you killed all the raiders. And you can still build and connect settlements, just without any of the minutemen quests on top of it.

Also I don't think I've talked to codsworth yet on my current run, since my base of operations is Starlight Drive-In.

• Locked thread