Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

The Muffinlord posted:

If you need help picking one, add a number to your last one.

MyPassword!
MyPassword!1
MyPassword!11
MyPassword!111
MyPassword!1111
MyPassword!11111

User calls to complain they've run out of space on their post-it to keep on adding 1's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Geemer posted:

MyPassword!
MyPassword!1
MyPassword!11
MyPassword!111
MyPassword!1111
MyPassword!11111

User calls to complain they've run out of space on their post-it to keep on adding 1's.

like a user is going to have that many capital letters

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

milk milk lemonade posted:

I loved working at a big financial services company that phished their own employees to test them. The pained shrieks of 'why would IT do this to meeeeeee' never got old

My inbox was full of 'good job for marking that as spam!' Emails

Mine (MSP) started doing this after marketing and sales each got our shared drives encrypted by being asshats. It's glorious, we generally have 20-25% of the company's employees fail and click on the link.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
I just link people to http://www.dinopass.com/ if they can't figure out a password for themselves.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I love how people in this thread react to security things, as though password difficulty is even relevant since it's going to get written down on a postit under the keyboard anyway.
I got a call yesterday from a user who accidently deleted the Outlook contact he used to store all his passwords. It's a step up from a post-it I guess.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Geemer posted:

MyPassword!
MyPassword!1
MyPassword!11
MyPassword!111
MyPassword!1111
MyPassword!11111

Or you could do.

MyPassword!1
MyPassword!2
MyPassword!3 ...

vvvv: Adding a number can also mean addition. Words sometimes have multiple meanings.

Malek fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 19, 2017

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Knormal posted:

I got a call yesterday from a user who accidently deleted the Outlook contact he used to store all his passwords. It's a step up from a post-it I guess.

"Yeah, I shared my address book with the sketchy candy crusher-esque app, how else would it send my friends notifications?"

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

The Muffinlord posted:

You really gotta have the whole complexity requirements speech ready to go. Eight characters, upper case, lower case, a number or a symbol. Can't be your last six passwords, can't have part of your name in it. If you need help picking one, add a number to your last one.

What color is your coffee cup? There you go. 1YellowMug
How many paperclips are in the tray in your drawer? There you go 21Paperclips

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

What do you see out the window right now? You're all set, 2DogsFucking.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Malek posted:

Or you could do.

MyPassword!1
MyPassword!2
MyPassword!3 ...

That's not adding a number to your old one, though. That's incrementing a number.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

A ticket came in:

creator: Please open ICMP from networkA to networkC, also we want access from networkB to networkC.
me: Ok, ICMP open from A and B to C
creator: Ok well that works, but we really wanted 443 from B to C, the discussion about it is what spawned this ticket
me: no where in the ticket did 443 come up and I was not involved in your discussion, what the gently caress do you actually want.

From now on, I am going to kick tickets back to people and require a source, destination and port for each rule they want since being obtuse is our SOCs modus operandi

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
I wish there was more common sense among IT security with regards to usability. My company's current requirements are minimum 14 characters, 6 of which must be numbers or symbols, it must not contain a word in the English dictionary, excludes common place names and must not resemble to a certain (unknown to me) degree any of your previous 10 passwords. Passwords are reset on a bi monthly schedule. Also when I say that words are excluded, I mean that if any part of the password could be picked out as an English word, it rejects it. "Greengrassgrows" would be rejected for including English words.

This scheme applies to several thousand people, many of whom need to use the computer intermittently and most of whom have just a high school education from some time back in the 70s or 80s.

I pity our help desk.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

MF_James posted:

A ticket came in:

creator: Please open ICMP from networkA to networkC, also we want access from networkB to networkC.
me: Ok, ICMP open from A and B to C
creator: Ok well that works, but we really wanted 443 from B to C, the discussion about it is what spawned this ticket
me: no where in the ticket did 443 come up and I was not involved in your discussion, what the gently caress do you actually want.

From now on, I am going to kick tickets back to people and require a source, destination and port for each rule they want since being obtuse is our SOCs modus operandi
Don't forget to have them specify TCP/UDP

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Gorau posted:

I wish there was more common sense among IT security with regards to usability. My company's current requirements are minimum 14 characters, 6 of which must be numbers or symbols, it must not contain a word in the English dictionary, excludes common place names and must not resemble to a certain (unknown to me) degree any of your previous 10 passwords. Passwords are reset on a bi monthly schedule. Also when I say that words are excluded, I mean that if any part of the password could be picked out as an English word, it rejects it. "Greengrassgrows" would be rejected for including English words.

This scheme applies to several thousand people, many of whom need to use the computer intermittently and most of whom have just a high school education from some time back in the 70s or 80s.

I pity our help desk.

I don't write my passwords down, but if I worked at your company I probably would.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Can this stupid Apple PAGES file format gently caress off forever? Useless rear end things

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

anthonypants posted:

Don't forget to have them specify TCP/UDP

Yeah I didn't explicitly mention, but that falls into port :)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

LethalGeek posted:

Can this stupid Apple PAGES file format gently caress off forever? Useless rear end things

At least they aren't folders anymore with special attributes set that completely gently caress up using them on anything that isn't a Mac's local hard disk.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I used a paper clip and now I can't log in, WHAT DID YOU DO TO MY ACCOUNT????

Gorau posted:

I pity our help desk.

Find out whoever made that rule and let the air out of their tires every week.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Volmarias posted:

I used a paper clip and now I can't log in, WHAT DID YOU DO TO MY ACCOUNT????

Find out whoever made that rule and let the air out of their tires every week.

No, every other week, it's bi-monthly.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Our password reset tool went from resetting passwords to a standard default, and forcing the user to change it at next login, to assigning a random password and forcing a change next login. It's not a bad idea, but have you ever tried to get an eighty year old lady to type in hats#buck4 over the phone? The wailing from helpdesk can be heard across the building.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

We have an SSO system in place that requires you to change your password at a particular website. Windows gives no fucks of course and if you change the password in Windows instead of on the website everything loving breaks.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Our password reset tool went from resetting passwords to a standard default, and forcing the user to change it at next login, to assigning a random password and forcing a change next login. It's not a bad idea, but have you ever tried to get an eighty year old lady to type in hats#buck4 over the phone? The wailing from helpdesk can be heard across the building.

At least your help desk can see the new temporary password! Ours can't.

Of course this is the same system that will allow you to keep the same password forever, as long as you don't change it and allows access to PHI. Whereas the work computers require a password change every 3 months AND have 2FA anyway..

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I died a little inside when I was trying to get someone in their early twenties to login with a password like that

"Ok it's 1 2 3 hash a b c"
"It's not working"
*remote on and type it in myself since she has to change it on login anyway, press button to show password to check*
"Oh a hashtag, why didn't you just say that?"

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Rudager posted:

I died a little inside when I was trying to get someone in their early twenties to login with a password like that

"It's not working"
*remote on and type it in myself since she has to change it on login anyway, press button to show password to check*

I die a little inside whenever I hear hashtag, it's a pound sign you fucks.

Really I don't care, but I dislike the, word? hashtag for some reason that I can't really put my finger on.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

MF_James posted:

It's actually an Octothorpe! :eng101:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Suck it up oldies, it's in a dictionary now so it's as correct as pronouncing the e in forte.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Rudager posted:

"It's not working"

It's usually the other way around here.

"It's 1 2 3 hashtag a b c"
"WHATS A HASHTAG I DONT HAVE THAT BUTTON"

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Just give up on life and call it a capital 3.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

MF_James posted:

Really I don't care, but I dislike the, word? hashtag for some reason that I can't really put my finger on.

After hearing people my age say "Hashtag $bullshit" I have thought about going around saying "Pound sign $bullshit."

I'm not going to do it because I'm not that much of a goon, but stop making me feel old, other 20-somethings.

I also hate mobile devices and how everything wants an account now, but that's justified.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MF_James posted:

Yeah I didn't explicitly mention, but that falls into port :)

Put it on the form. Don't make it mandatory. Do make the default UDP.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Is anyone else seeing a higher than expected proportion of young people coming into their business being completely computer illiterate? I have had a couple of lawyers start recently who are completely clueless.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Kurieg posted:

No, every other week, it's bi-monthly.

Bi-monthly would actually be every other month. Twice a month is semi-monthly.

... This was a trap, wasn't it?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bimonthly is both once every two weeks and once every two months because English is the worst language ever invented.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Ghostlight posted:

Bimonthly is both once every two weeks and once every two months because English is the worst language ever invented.
Semi- means half, bi- means two, and I'm pretty sure these prefixes have non-English roots.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I dug deeper into this rabbit hole and discovered that while the most commonly accepted use of "bi-" in this context is "every other," pretty much everyone appears to agree that "biannual" means the same thing as "semiannual" -- occurring twice per year -- and the correct word for "occurring every other year" is "biennial." I have no idea why this single use case should be different. Usually I regard poor usage skills from adults as a nontrivial personal failing, but this one is utterly baffling to me.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

anthonypants posted:

Semi- means half, bi- means two,

Right, so bi-monthly means two times a month! :pseudo:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Right, so bi-monthly means two times a month! :pseudo:

No lol.
Bi-weekly is every other week.
Bi-monthly is every other month.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

ratbert90 posted:

No lol.

Whoosh

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

So bi-sexual is every other sexual?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

ratbert90 posted:

No lol.

""Those damned descriptivists at Merriam-Webster posted:

Definition of bimonthly