Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
So they definitely messed up databank and chest placement this patch.

It's obvious they changed the size of the databanks to be way bigger, but it looks like to compensate for how much that would break a lot of islands, they're also ignoring the set databank placement on most if not all islands, and just placing them randomly, like if the creator hadn't placed any themselves.

I had the suspicion on a few islands, but I was just on an island that I have subscribed to in the island creator, and they were definitely in different spots. The weirdest thing is it looks like they're also using random chest placements too. Don't know why, maybe that's by accident.

So bottom line, don't look for pre-designed places for chests and databanks right now, they're more likely to just be scattered around in the open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
I've definitely been in several islands with super obvious loot rooms which had upwards of 3 chests in them, so I doubt all placement was removed.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
I'm certain they messed up the chests on the island I checked, and pretty certain about a couple others. I only found one island that looked like it had a hand placed chest, and it didn't have hand placed databanks. Do you remember if there were any obviously placed databanks on the island with the loot rooms? It's possible that the importing system the devs are using first checks for databank spawns, and if it finds any, it removes the chests too... for some reason.

Its also possible they just hosed up the importing in general.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
would loving up the importing also lead to the massive seams issues i've seen on some islands?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Possibly, or it could be an issue with the island creator itself, which can have issues with that. I haven't seen any seams yet, can you fall through them? If not then it could also be a game client issue.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
haven't found any i could fall through yet but some get pretty massive

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Ok, I just read on the official forums where someone is claiming that making your ship out of high conductivity metal makes it take less damage in a storm wall. That seems incredibly stupid, but probably worth trying out I guess.

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
We made a small ship out of solid gold with two engines last night, took it through the storm wall and only lost a couple panels...Though the person on repair duty was definitely kept busy, so it seems like conductivity does help.

Similarly the sand wall's gimmick seems to be constant engine damage, so as long as you keep up on repairs you should be fine.

M2tt fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 10, 2017

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

M2tt posted:

We made a small ship out of solid gold with two engines last night and took it through the storm wall, and only lost a couple panels...Though the person on repair duty was definitely kept busy, so it seems like conductivity does help.

Similarly the sand wall's gimmick seems to be constant engine damage, so as long as you keep up on repairs you should be fine.

How much does the ship get knocked around in the sand wall? Can you leave the ship on autopilot while you repair, or do you need a dedicated pilot + mechanic to get through?

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran

Avulsion posted:

How much does the ship get knocked around in the sand wall? Can you leave the ship on autopilot while you repair, or do you need a dedicated pilot + mechanic to get through?

I think it's weight dependant, but neither seems to be that much worse than the wind wall. They both have a random chance of flipping you around or upside down though, so instrumentation definitely helps.

Whether or not you need a mechanic I guess depends on your connection, mostly. I tend to get really bad lag spikes as I cross the border which is usually instant death if I'm not attached to a helm or cannon

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
I did some testing and not even full tungsten engines would make it through the sandwall without needing repairs. That said the test cube was a full 2 tons in weight for stability at around 275 combined power through 3 engines on 90+ overheat and felt like it almost made it, maybe a higher power to weight ratio could punch through before the engines stall. The thing only went around 25-30 knots so I might've overdone it on the weight. Had I put a spawner on it I felt like I could've maybe repaired stuff enough to limp on through but this was specifically a test to see if this level of engine could get through unassisted for solo situations.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

This game seems pretty cool. Can't wait to be disappointing.

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
I ran some single person sand wall tests today too and it seems pretty impossible on a small ship, but we just took our massive 6 engine blimp through at half power (about 20 knots) and it went surprisingly smooth. Apparently the engines take damage slower if the throttle is kept in check...Though we still went through 500 metal keeping them repaired.

Alternately you can have a buddy fire a cannon through the wall and hitch a ride with the grappling hook, which takes quite a bit less prep.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you can grapple onto a shell? holy poo poo

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

Elmon posted:

This game seems pretty cool. Can't wait to be disappointing.

Yeah... The bigger problem I see this game running into its a lack of any meaningful things to do outside of, build ship /fight other players with ship /repair ship. The thing about sandboxes is that there only as fun as the toys you bring to them. The ship system is a fun toy but I feel like people will get bored quickly if it's the only one there.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Maybe throw in some npc encounters or the ability to build flying alliance cities.

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
Yeah I've put probably 30 hours into Alpha 6 and at least half that was spent scrounging for resources, which is hardly fun, and most of the rest looking for ways to cheese the walls which just means that next time I'll exhaust the "content" that much faster. Tinkering with ship builds is fun in a lego sort of way, but then there's nothing rewarding to do with said ship. Some sort of boss fight like giant manta rays or something could be good, or treasure maps to give you an incentive to explore a bit more. Outside the starting zones the population is all but non-existant, so even ship to ship battles are few and far between. Especially given the snails pace of updates so far I probably won't pick this up in early access, but I'll probably keep an eye on it just in case they manage to capitalize on all that potential.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
really what this game needs is a population and a good war

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I like the npc content idea and there are a lot of things they could do like Sky sharks, Sky wailing, schools of Sky piranha Ect. Also sky leviathan bosses would be cool.

There is alot of potential in this game. I hope they actually use some of it.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Skywhale is the confirmed big NPC boss thing. We also already kind of built a floating player city with the first and second goon flotillas but we really didn't have enough people playing to justify them and there's been even less around in alpha 6. Also if they do the thing where they make zones wider but lower the height cap it's going to be a lot more difficult to hide a flotilla beyond draw distance if you can't just lift it above draw distance, but for the purpose of player interaction that's more of a good thing.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think we'll still probably be pretty good if we put our goon bases as high as possible on a route between two islands

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.worldsadrift.com/forums/topic/ship-v-ship-combat-club-aka-thunderbox/

:wink:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the unofficial official worlds adrift discord is a magical place

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

lmbo

ofc like by 5 posts in he's crying about people blowing up his observation platform

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im not crying im sniffling

joking aside i think u misread the tone

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Tollymain posted:

im not crying im sniffling

joking aside i think u misread the tone

i did, i just realized

the observation deck sounds nice, i just knwo people are going to blow it up lol sorry :sweatdrop:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i know it's sisyphean but i figure it's do this or wait until ea for fun things to happen

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
come fite ships mlord

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Some good news

Eternz: a priority is to get the island transitions to instant, it's definitely possible its just a matter of working through the issues

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I'm following both this game and sea of thieves. There both very similar games coming out at similar times.

SOT has more structured things to do like finding buried treasure which makes pvp have more meaning.

WA has a much more interesting setting and the ship building looks amazing.

WA needs things to do with your cool ship like finding relics and needs to make fixing /re-building your ship easier by adding the ability to save ship builds.

SOT having cross play with Xbox is cool but the PC Xbox game center is really bad.

WA is on steam.

I know that both games are in early alfa and are going to change I just hope they change for the better.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

Was asked to post in the thread by Jackard.

SoapBoxie is my discord name.

Turd Herder fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 9, 2017

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
Registered an account and submitted an application to Slam Whales. Game looks cool, any ETA on the beta?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

KM Scorchio posted:

Registered an account and submitted an application to Slam Whales. Game looks cool, any ETA on the beta?
Probably sometime in June. This last alpha ended up really quiet.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Closed beta is this Wednesday.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

How was the game performing most recently? I took a break and then came back just after the lighting overhaul. It was running really poorly, while before I had had pretty solid fps and only got lag spikes at load walls.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
There was lag between island loading still as it's not completely optimized. It was certainly less than last alpha. Currently if you logged out and back in you could resolve almost all the loading issues for a short while. I saw a dev talk about the loading issues with islands and they were sure they could 100% eliminate it. It was just a matter of time with fine tuning and optimization. Which is reassuring since that is currently one of the biggest issues holding a lot of people back.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Beta hits today at 1pm EST, 10am PST on steam for those interested.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
I've been gorging myself on videos of the alpha and now can't wait to play sky pirate.

I loving hate heights though :ohdear:.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
The game is basically a falling to death simulator. It happens when you least expect it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrenever
Jul 22, 2007

Beta dropped! My discord is the same as my SA account.