Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Ras Het posted:

This is because white people never bothered to nixtamalize the corn. It's a good example of how we take other cultures' foods without understanding their preparation at all. Another good example is people eating raw maca flour and then complaining of stomach aches

Wikipedia posted:

Maize was introduced to Europe by Christopher Columbus in the 15th century, being grown in Spain as early as 1498. Due to its high yields, it quickly spread through Europe, and later to Africa and India. Portuguese colonists grew maize in the Congo as early as 1560, and maize became, and remains, a major food crop in parts of Africa.

Adoption of the nixtamalization process did not accompany the grain to Europe and beyond, perhaps because the Europeans already had more efficient milling processes for hulling grain mechanically. Without alkaline processing, maize is a much less beneficial foodstuff, and malnutrition struck many areas where it became a dominant food crop. In the nineteenth century, pellagra epidemics were recorded in France, Italy, and Egypt, and kwashiorkor hit parts of Africa where maize had become a dietary staple.

Health problems associated with maize-based diets in modern times have usually been remedied by means of vitamin supplements and economic improvement leading to a broader diet, rather than by adoption of nixtamalization. Though pellagra has vanished from Europe and the United States, it remains a major public health problem in lower Egypt, parts of South Africa, and southwestern India.

Why mention "white people" specifically when neglecting nixtamalization seems to have been common to all areas outside the Americas where the crop was cultivated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Kopijeger posted:

Why mention "white people" specifically when neglecting nixtamalization seems to have been common to all areas outside the Americas where the crop was cultivated?

Adoption of the nixtamalization process did not accompany the grain to Europe and beyond, perhaps because the Europeans already had more efficient milling processes for hulling grain mechanically.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Odd, since the coffee plant is native to Ethiopia.

Oh right, dug it up and it was just tobacco. Thanks!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

MrNemo posted:

I recall one of the recipes in that Roman cookbook was cakes meant to be baked for religious festivals. They were basically a dough sweetened with honey and a bay leaf then left overnight in an oven that had been used during the day and bake with the residual heat.

Somebody inthread definitely made those and said they came out pretty well. I remember the pictures.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Ras Het posted:

That's very zen of you, but in any case, my point wasn't remotely that I would rather live in whatever oldendayse century you want to choose, but that human society is irredeemably terrible and a lot of the comforts of our lives are actually insanely lovely things

lol you drat retard

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Ras Het is a depressed sigh that learned to post.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

paging :agesilaus:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Some flamingo brains would perk him right up. It's the Roman way!

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Some flamingo brains would perk him right up. It's the Roman way!

Ugh. It's the tongue you want, not the brain, you barbarian.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Ras Het didn't say anything wrong.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Grevling posted:

Ras Het didn't say anything wrong.

No. This:

Ras Het posted:

That's very zen of you, but in any case, my point wasn't remotely that I would rather live in whatever oldendayse century you want to choose, but that human society is irredeemably terrible and a lot of the comforts of our lives are actually insanely lovely things

Is very wrong and stupid.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

No. This:

Is very wrong and stupid.

Global obesity called but wouldn't leave a message, saying you'd know what it was talking about.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

homullus posted:

Global obesity called but wouldn't leave a message, saying you'd know what it was talking about.

Global obesity is a lot better than global starving to death.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

fishmech posted:

Global obesity is a lot better than global starving to death.

A > B. Is A a positive number?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

homullus posted:

Would you eat the moon if it was made of barbecue spare ribs?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

homullus posted:

I mean whatever but

SlothfulCobra posted:

Ah, the quiet dignity of smallpox/starvation/getting mauled by a tiger.

Reminds me of how Thucydides started out harkening back to the old days of pirates and tyrants.

Ras Het posted:

Sounds better than the abject horror of a plane crash/uhh, 21st century starvation/nuclear weapons/pizza, depression and TV induced heart failure at 34

so yes, they were in fact making the extremely stupid case

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Isn't that the exact same case

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

shut up

The featured article on Wikipedia is a much expanded and well cited article on Roman-Chinese contacts. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Roman_relations

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

shut up

The featured article on Wikipedia is a much expanded and well cited article on Roman-Chinese contacts. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Roman_relations

I almost watched Dragon Blade, the movie where Rome fights china last night. I turned left at the last second but I assume it's mostly historically accurate?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Ainsley McTree posted:

I almost watched Dragon Blade, the movie where Rome fights china last night. I turned left at the last second but I assume it's mostly historically accurate?

oh, extremely accurate

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

Please don't troll.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

Only if China was ruled by a Pharoah and the Romans spoke with a Jersey accent.

E: Belisarius vs Yue Fei, go.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I liked when the Parthians "riders of Rohan" the final battle between China/Good Romans/Huns/India against The Bad Romans

sorry if this spoils the movie for anyone who was dying to see this

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I liked when the Parthians "riders of Rohan" the final battle between China/Good Romans/Huns/India against The Bad Romans

Alright now I want to actually watch it

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The feuilleton called it a "cataphract of poo poo"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Well now I have to see this movie.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Grand Fromage posted:

shut up

An angry patrician writes

quote:

Why the gently caress are we sending all of our specie east so our women can buy revealing clothes and baubles. O tempora, o mores &c.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I just read the wikipedia summary for Dragon Blade, and I like that after his rival flees to central Eurasia, Consul Adrien Brody decides that the best course of action is to gather up 100,000 men and march after him for some reason.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

When has a land war in Asia ever gone wrong

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Sounds like a true Roman film for true Romans.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
Back to food. The idea of making some Roman foods sounds pretty interesting. Does anybody have any cookbooks that are authentic? Some quick Googling is giving me lots of Italian recipes or only delicacies like dormice and bird tongues.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I've often wondered what ancient wines would have been like.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I have a reconstructed Roman cuisine cookbook in French but it's mostly "do a normal recipe and then pour nuoc-nam all over it". Disappointing.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Grevling posted:

This is a starting point, I guess?

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
I found a wine recipe for a mead called Joe's Ancient Orange Mead which is supposedly based on an old Norse mead, but I can't speak to it's authenticity.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Hamlet442 posted:

Back to food. The idea of making some Roman foods sounds pretty interesting. Does anybody have any cookbooks that are authentic? Some quick Googling is giving me lots of Italian recipes or only delicacies like dormice and bird tongues.

In ancient Rome depending on who you were you were mostly either eating the crazy delicacies or a flavorless mush, just like the majority of societies that have ever existed.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Would you eat the moon if it was made of barbecue spare ribs?
without hesitation. why is this even a question?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Hamlet442 posted:

Someone earlier in the thread linked Apicius, which is as authentic as it gets. Not much in the way of precise measurements so you'd need to play it by ear a bit, but it's something.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Grevling posted:

There are some secluded areas in Europe that avoided the phylloxera blight and so still have native vines. Again, not exact, but the bottle I had was different though not cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

HEY GAIL posted:

without hesitation. why is this even a question?

Those spare ribs would be unbearably dry.