Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I beat the whole second DLC in one 6 and a half hour stream because I'm a crazy person, except for Midir because I am not a crazy person. It was fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UrAmNALTf0&t=22757s
(timestamp 6:19:20)

Watch me beat the final boss of the DLC's while listening to music from Kill La Kill, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Needed to add a scissors sword to go with the glorious return of slut gear.

Klk has a really good sound track :allears:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm wondering if Bleed-infused Winged Knight Twinaxes might work... but looking at the infusion screen it seems like it loses a ridiculous amount of damage (like 70 damage, I think). :whitewater: I'm assuming 50 bleed doesn't make up for that and I'm just voluntarily gimping myself by infusing it?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

that stream of the dlc was tense as hell. highlights include listening to eurobeat during the gael fight at some point or another.

poison is the real mvp

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
On my mage character winning attempt i was playing super defensively and took so long midir did his silly second phase laser dance move thrice. It's kind of adorable how he looks like he just wants to take a nap afterwards :3:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Your Computer posted:

I'm wondering if Bleed-infused Winged Knight Twinaxes might work... but looking at the infusion screen it seems like it loses a ridiculous amount of damage (like 70 damage, I think). :whitewater: I'm assuming 50 bleed doesn't make up for that and I'm just voluntarily gimping myself by infusing it?

Those axes are just kind of bad because of their range. Like the drang hammers they're awkwardly just slow enough to not combo well.

I poison infused barbed sword but it doesn't work on the magic resistant bosses I tried it on. With the status infusions not sucking rear end now maybe I'm curious if the double trouble weapons will work.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Those axes are just kind of bad because of their range. Like the drang hammers they're awkwardly just slow enough to not combo well.

Nu-uh :colbert:

The first two (technically four) hits of the L1 combo are pretty fast on the axes, as are the rolling and running attacks. It's a nice weapon! The WA, like so many others, seems like complete garbage since even a full stamina bar deals less damage than a couple of R1s..... but it got me thinking. What if each hit of the spin2win applies bleed? If it does and the bleed amount isn't too bad then it could be a lot of fun! Mind you, this is all PvE since the mantle of Lord PvP interests me none.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 18, 2017

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

CJacobs posted:

I beat the whole second DLC in one 6 and a half hour stream because I'm a crazy person, except for Midir because I am not a crazy person. It was fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UrAmNALTf0&t=22757s
(timestamp 6:19:20)

Watch me beat the final boss of the DLC's while listening to music from Kill La Kill, thanks

I'm currently addicted to seeing people react to that fight for the first time. It really does get about as real as it can get.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Maleh-Vor posted:

I'm currently addicted to seeing people react to that fight for the first time. It really does get about as real as it can get.

First attempt where I make it to the last phase is at 5:23:00. It ended up being one of my favorite mano-a-mano fights in the series for sure.

edit: That attempt and the next one are the realest of real until my victory one.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 18, 2017

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Finished my no summon, no shield Ledo's Hammer +5 NG+ Victory Lap. Aldrich took 2 tries, Dragonslayer Armor 1, Prince Lothric 3, Soul of Cinder 3, and I chumped Chumpion Chumpdyr in 1 try with no Estus left. (What a great fuckin' boss that guy is)

This was not due to skill, Ledo's hammer is just monstrously good on an STR build with all the DLC +3 rings. Even blocking with it was fairly helpful in a pinch. The hardest part is just timing the big heaving swings, but the L2 magic Spin2Win staggers all but the heartiest foes. Also, armor seemed to play a big role for me as I was taking more direct hits than usual, so resistances mattered.

Anyway, fun gimmick, feels good to be a gangster, A+ Would Smash Again.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

By the time I beat Midir, I really loved the fight. Something about the pacing of the battle really appealed to me. I also liked that I was rewarded for taking him on by myself, because I usually puss out and summon in allies if I can't get something down in a day. This time, allies made things way, way, WAY harder, so...I earned my victory.

Gael was pretty okay but I liked Midir much more.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So, a while ago I made a Dark Souls 1 build randomizer so I decided to make one for Dark Souls 3 as well, because I love weird challenge runs and also randomization.

Here is a dice roller if you’d like to try it out for yourself.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 18, 2017

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Finally, 30 vertebra shackles. Now I can finally retire as a sunbro/darkmoon. Although I have to say that moundmakers has been the best PvP covenant I've tried in the souls series. Rainbow fights are brilliant.

e; Also I'm not getting the Master of Sorceries achievement. What gives?

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 18, 2017

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Mound Makers would have been a fantastic covenant if it allowed you to traverse fog walls and turn white in the process.

That was such a missed opportunity.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

CodfishCartographer posted:

So, a while ago I made a Dark Souls 1 build randomizer so I decided to make one for Dark Souls 3 as well, because I love weird challenge runs and also randomization.

Man this is like, MTG draft night: you don't know what you'll get and it's probably not going to be fun.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Man this is like, MTG draft night: you don't know what you'll get and it's probably not going to be fun.

Funny, draft is my favorite way to play MTG :v:

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Like all things I'm not good at, I don't like it and it's bad and stupid.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Funny, draft is my favorite way to play MTG :v:

It's fun. But everyone else is doing ultimate bravery too

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Is that the new thing? Last I look EDC was the cats pajamas.

new challenge: speed run on a looooooooow end system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ2r6qtgbfQ&t=135s

uncle w benefits fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 18, 2017

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
I find it hilarious how everyone's reaction after dying once to Gael and going back in the fog door is always "Oh my God, he's just coming right at me"

I played Dark Souls 3 on a first generation i7, with a Radeon HD 5850 and 6gb of ram at 720p (generally get 45+ fps with everything on medium anyway). I feel the ram was the biggest problem though, as at least on Dragonslayer Armor I would randomly get the game freezing up for 3-5 seconds whenever the camera faced the wrong way. I think they kind of patched it though, or I learned to close more background apps while Dark Souling (especially chrome) because he wasn't as brutal the second time around.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

School Nickname posted:

The presumable explanation is that you're missing at least one sorcery. (As you probably know already, they also all need to be on a single character.)

Solution: painstakingly double-check. Copy a list into a text file or something, then go through your spell inventory and mark/delete things you already have, one by one. If you don't have the achievement there should be at least one thing left over.

Don't know if the achievement was updated to require DLC sorceries as those came out, or if it still only requires vanilla sorceries.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Holy poo poo, I just noticed when he teleports to you, he spawns on a summon sign placed where you are.

I swear he's tuned perfectly so you beat him with 0 Estus left. I barely killed him on my attempt, and most of the blind playthroughs I'm seeing end the same way. 0 estus, spent ember, and 1-2 hits away from dying.

Maleh-Vor fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 18, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Vil posted:

The presumable explanation is that you're missing at least one sorcery. (As you probably know already, they also all need to be on a single character.)

Solution: painstakingly double-check. Copy a list into a text file or something, then go through your spell inventory and mark/delete things you already have, one by one. If you don't have the achievement there should be at least one thing left over.

Don't know if the achievement was updated to require DLC sorceries as those came out, or if it still only requires vanilla sorceries.

To add to this: some easy ones to miss are Great Magic Weapon (in the useless shortcut from Farron Keep Perimeter back to Crucifixion Woods), Chameleon (Yuria/Anri quest reward), Great Magic Shield (one of the cells in Irithyll Dungeon), and the dark sorceries (one from Deacons soul, one from Aldrich cov rank 1, two from Karla).

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
I 100% have them all, but you know what, gently caress being a completionist. The Master of Rings achievement is bullshit. Get ALL versions of each ring? My hole I'm doing that, especially grinding out Farron's area.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

School Nickname posted:

I 100% have them all, but you know what, gently caress being a completionist. The Master of Rings achievement is bullshit. Get ALL versions of each ring? My hole I'm doing that, especially grinding out Farron's area.

Make double super sure with this:

https://zkjellberg.github.io/dark-souls-3-cheat-sheet/

Click Achievements at the very top. It has a handy checklist, IN inventory order, so you will see something you're missing right away.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Ahahahahahaha. yeah, sure, I'll just go and do a perma-death run against Gael or arrow-dick aldrich. Thankx but nooooope.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Like all things I'm not good at, I don't like it and it's bad and stupid.

Calm down HBomerguy.

I finally watched his video. I liked a lot of where he was explaining why DS2 was good and well designed and had fun fights and good challenge. The bits where he was criticising the other games, like the healing comparisons and the level design in 1 is bizarre. Also found it amusing that he argues on one hand that attrition isn't good but on the other hand only having to kill the blowdark snipers once was bad was pretty weak and showed the pretty glaring weaknesses in his analysis that he was using to back up the argument.

Also I'll defend the wait to Anor Londo warping to my dying breath.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

double nine posted:

Ahahahahahaha. yeah, sure, I'll just go and do a perma-death run against Gael or arrow-dick aldrich. Thankx but nooooope.

I mean, the point is more to just see how far you can get more than anything. If you can get to Gael or aldrich without dying that’s a pretty solid run, at least in my book. Or just say screw the no-dying part for those bosses, whatever, nobody’s judging you.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

School Nickname posted:

Finally, 30 vertebra shackles. Now I can finally retire as a sunbro/darkmoon. Although I have to say that moundmakers has been the best PvP covenant I've tried in the souls series. Rainbow fights are brilliant.

If your character starts with an item or spell it doesn't count towards the achievement. So if you started with a sorcerer you'd still want to buy Soul Arrow. Same with the Life Ring for the rings achievement.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I mean, the point is more to just see how far you can get more than anything. If you can get to Gael or aldrich without dying that’s a pretty solid run, at least in my book. Or just say screw the no-dying part for those bosses, whatever, nobody’s judging you.

I'm just not good enough for any no-death run in DS. other people can have all the fun they want with that, though.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Cavelcade posted:

Also I'll defend the wait to Anor Londo warping to my dying breath.

It was an unambiguously great decision in that game. The Lordvessel is one of the greatest power-ups of all time, on par with bat form in Symphony of the Night in the degree to which it changes how you view and interact with the game world.

Flips the story script from "you are alone and powerless and lost in a dark, hosed up world" to granting you a sense of mastery over the environment at the precise moment when many players realize they've got what it takes to see the game through.

I don't think it would've worked in Dark Souls 2 or 3, but I also don't think they should've made sequels to start with~

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Rough Lobster posted:

If your character starts with an item or spell it doesn't count towards the achievement. So if you started with a sorcerer you'd still want to buy Soul Arrow. Same with the Life Ring for the rings achievement.

Same with infusion achievement actually. You need to infuse the weapon yourself, picking up the pre-infused items won't do it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

wizard on a water slide posted:

It was an unambiguously great decision in that game. The Lordvessel is one of the greatest power-ups of all time, on par with bat form in Symphony of the Night in the degree to which it changes how you view and interact with the game world.

Flips the story script from "you are alone and powerless and lost in a dark, hosed up world" to granting you a sense of mastery over the environment at the precise moment when many players realize they've got what it takes to see the game through.

I don't think it would've worked in Dark Souls 2 or 3, but I also don't think they should've made sequels to start with~

Bat form sucks and From admitted they should have allowed warping from the getgo.

I agree about Anor Londo before warping though

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Is a 100.01% equip run even possible

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

School Nickname posted:

use SAM if you really want that poo poo tbqh

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i've moved into an unfortunate situation without a stable internet connection and have to grind out a bunch of cov items (wolfblood grass, conchords kept) - are these all accessible via rare enemy drops or am i doomed?

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

RBA Starblade posted:

Bat form sucks and From admitted they should have allowed warping from the getgo.

Have they? Legit never come across that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RBA Starblade posted:

They are wrong.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
No warping is cool up until you accidentally go to one of the areas blocked by golden fog and end up hating yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Internet Kraken posted:

No warping is cool up until you accidentally go to one of the areas blocked by golden fog and end up hating yourself.

Number of times I have beaten Anor Londo and then immediately gone all the way down to the end of the Demon Ruins without placing the lordvessel like an idiot: One loving billion