Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Really digging the red-purple cloak coloring you have here, that's pretty funky and not super easy to do and it looks pretty cool and even kinda subtle.
Thanks! It took a lot of glazing :) I like it as an un-natural colorscheme, so I might go for something similar for a KoW undead army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Gold should have brown as a base colour imo.

Works for yellow too.

Yeast posted:

I also mix paint using back flow.
Same. It's wonderful, and I don't have to worry about wasting paint in a mixing cup, nor do I have to try to mix paint and thinner in the airbrush cup.

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

berzerkmonkey posted:

Out of curiosity, from who? The Master brushes and compressors consistently rate 4 stars on Amazon, which is comparable, if not higher, than the Badger products. Obviously, it's your choice, but the Master products are legit good, and you shouldn't have any issues with them.

I have a master compressor/brush set. My only complaint with the compressor is it will drop 5-10 psi with prolonged use, which is expected and easily fixed with a tank. Which leads to a second problem of matching BSP fittings to whatever proprietary nonsense each brush manufacturer uses as well as to the M/NPT/F-whatever-the-gently caress-else-is-out-there fitting standard.

The brushes are cheap and disposable I guess. I keep them clean as a whistle but the needle regularly gets stuck and won't move. Also the pressure button will randomly disconnect from the needle and make a mess of everything.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Yeast posted:

I dropped my 105 once and skewered my thigh.

I mean, in the grand scheme of miniatures hobbyist injuries that's pretty light

When I first started, I shaved a bigass block of white metal off the back of a squad full of Warzone minis that was supposed to be a mounting point for flags, and eventually I jabbed the tip of a hobby knife directly into the tip of my thumb, and just thought "well at least it's a clean cut so it'll heal faster"

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Does anyone have color recommendations for yellowish skin? Preferably of the Reaper/Vallejo variety? I have plenty of reds which is fine for a lot of applications but I need yellowish skin for these figures I want to paint in a fashionable Jojo style.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
The other day a friend absentmindedly tapped the business end of a hobby knife like it it was a clicker pen. It was not a good time.

The bad word of mouth I see about the Master kit is from random reviews of airbrushes around online. They're mostly focused on the lovely, cheap manufacturing standards with parts that don't align properly or showing up with bent needles.

The compressor seems fine for the price, but it's why I was gonna grab the harbor freight one which doesn't seem appreciably different, and then something like a Patriot.

Then again, the Master airbrush is a $20 opportunity cost and the only thing I want to do with it in the immediate term is priming and basecoats, so I could probably stand for it to have more play than it should. I considering grabbing that now and moving up to a big boy brush once I'm more confident and want to get fancier with technique.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Big Ink posted:

I have a master compressor/brush set. My only complaint with the compressor is it will drop 5-10 psi with prolonged use, which is expected and easily fixed with a tank. Which leads to a second problem of matching BSP fittings to whatever proprietary nonsense each brush manufacturer uses as well as to the M/NPT/F-whatever-the-gently caress-else-is-out-there fitting standard.
I believe that the Master fittings are the same as Iwata. Badger is the outlier and requires a fitting (which runs about $5 on Amazon.)

mango sentinel posted:

The compressor seems fine for the price, but it's why I was gonna grab the harbor freight one which doesn't seem appreciably different, and then something like a Patriot.
You're going to get fluctuations in PSI without a tank, so be forewarned.

if you're only going to be doing priming and basecoats, you can't go wrong with the Master. I would almost go as far as saying that the Patriot would be a waste of money for that, but you'd at least have the option of getting needles for finer work later on. I can't remember if the Master comes with a fine needle.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
The Master comes with a single .3 needle. Also the $80 Master kit on Amazon is also tankless.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

Does anyone have color recommendations for yellowish skin? Preferably of the Reaper/Vallejo variety? I have plenty of reds which is fine for a lot of applications but I need yellowish skin for these figures I want to paint in a fashionable Jojo style.
I think Vallejo gamecolor bronze fleshtone is a good starting point. It's pretty yellow, but it's easy to darken it with brown or lighten it with white/ivory.
I just did this guy's skin with those colors.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

mango sentinel posted:

The Master comes with a single .3 needle. Also the $80 Master kit on Amazon is also tankless.

Here you go. It's a little more expensive, but you get the extra needles.

And here is the .3 version without the extra needles. A bit cheaper.

TCP is the retailer of the Master line, so you're buying direct from them. I'm not sure why these aren't on Amazon, because they used to be.

EDIT: Here and here they are.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 18, 2017

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

berzerkmonkey posted:

Works for yellow too.

Same. It's wonderful, and I don't have to worry about wasting paint in a mixing cup, nor do I have to try to mix paint and thinner in the airbrush cup.

Yellow should have a purple base :colbert:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Pvt.Scott posted:

Yellow should have a purple base :colbert:

The dudes I'm using it on will have lots of purple.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
If anyone is thinking about airbrush upgrades after all the finger stabbing talk, I use a Harder and Steenbeck SilverLine and it is unbelievably good.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Hoppe's 9 Solvent is amazing for cleaning your nozzle. Next Level Painting showed this, and it really works.

I just did it and i was amazed how much gunk was stuck up in my junk.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Yep, I started lubing up properly after a rigorous cleaning, and found the whole thing to be more comfortable and fluid.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Yeast posted:

Yep, I started lubing up properly after a rigorous cleaning, and found the whole thing to be more comfortable and fluid.

:gay:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Kind of a basic question, but what super glue are people using for metal miniatures these days? I've been using the purple instacure but it's taking forever to dry and it's hard to control. My bottle's pretty old, though, which I guess can be a factor?

I'd like something with a long applicator, since I sometimes have trouble getting the right amount of glue to go where I want it.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Super Glue: Loctite Ultragel Control Super Glue
Plastic Cement: Revell Contacta Pro or Tamiya

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
I'm not sure if this is best for this thread or a conversion thread (is there a conversion thread?), but here goes.

This is going to be baby's first mod, and advice or youtube links would be appreciated. (She's such a nice mini and I don't want to wreck her!)

I want to convert this mini:

https://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/mage/latest/03648

into a Tiefling, and add horns and a tail. What would be the easiest way to do this? Wrapped wire? Green stuff?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

dexefiend posted:

Bought Loctite for the first time having always used zap a gap and the poo poo is superior in every way. Good glue.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

GoingPostal posted:

I'm not sure if this is best for this thread or a conversion thread (is there a conversion thread?), but here goes.

This is going to be baby's first mod, and advice or youtube links would be appreciated. (She's such a nice mini and I don't want to wreck her!)

into a Tiefling, and add horns and a tail. What would be the easiest way to do this? Wrapped wire? Green stuff?

Reaper sells conversion kits if you don't want to scratch build with green stuff https://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Conversions/latest/03334

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

GoingPostal posted:

Greenstuff for horns, she'd look good with horns lying flat over her hair like here:

Tail depends on what kind you want. For a thin tail I'd go with steel wire with the exact diameter then a greenstuffed end, for a thick lizard-like tail either a thin wire as armature then greenstuff over it, or just find a lizard tail bit and adapt. And remember to attach it to the tailbone so it doesn't look like a fancy buttplug :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GoingPostal posted:

Find some bits and attach them with greenstuff. Ez peasy and looks good.

You could make them out of greenstuff but horns and tails are bits that should be pretty easy to come by:

mango sentinel posted:

Reaper sells conversion kits if you don't want to scratch build with green stuff https://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Conversions/latest/03334

I mean I have tons of horns and spikes just laying around, but tails are a bit more specific.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

mango sentinel posted:

Wow, an entire sprue of monster penises!! I never knew what I was missing but I can't go back now. I won't!

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
I've been getting back into painting after a bit of a non-painting stretch. I bought a 10-pack box of mouselings from Reaper and picked up the bonus April figure, the Jester guy with his scarecrow puppet (My birthday is April 1st, so I like Jesters).

Their really nice metal figures. I don't really like painting metal because they require priming (as opposed to Reaper's plastics), and the only primer I have that works with metal is a spray can, which means having a time when it's nice out to do, which can be iffy where I live), but they have a nice weight to them and look really great.

Now I have 6 new mouselings.

And I have the meeting of the mouselings (all the ones I have painted so far, I have 4 others yet to paint left from the set)

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Foolster41 posted:

I've been getting back into painting after a bit of a non-painting stretch. I bought a 10-pack box of mouselings from Reaper and picked up the bonus April figure, the Jester guy with his scarecrow puppet (My birthday is April 1st, so I like Jesters).

Their really nice metal figures. I don't really like painting metal because they require priming (as opposed to Reaper's plastics), and the only primer I have that works with metal is a spray can, which means having a time when it's nice out to do, which can be iffy where I live), but they have a nice weight to them and look really great.

Now I have 6 new mouselings.

And I have the meeting of the mouselings (all the ones I have painted so far, I have 4 others yet to paint left from the set)

These minis are so loving :kimchi: it makes me want to get the Mouseguard boxed game.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Anyone know any good guides to doing freehand? I'm getting ready to paint some Eldar Harlequins, and it'd help.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Finished up a nurgle praetor conversion!

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

JackMann posted:

Anyone know any good guides to doing freehand? I'm getting ready to paint some Eldar Harlequins, and it'd help.

Our lord Duncan has one, of course:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_TZ6hp1ZGs

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

mongol posted:

Our lord Duncan has one, of course:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_TZ6hp1ZGs

Summary: "You just paint a diamond pattern on them. It's pretty hard."

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Painted up some more Ultras this month, including a converted Master of Signals since I don't love the Forgeworld one:

And the Big Gun Bros:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

SRM posted:

Painted up some more Ultras this month, including a converted Master of Signals since I don't love the Forgeworld one:

And the Big Gun Bros:

Are those heavy stubbers? My Escher gangers from my youth are totes jelly, if so.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Pvt.Scott posted:

Are those heavy stubbers? My Escher gangers from my youth are totes jelly, if so.

Autocannons, actually!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

SRM posted:

Autocannons, actually!

Fair enough. That squad is going to be murder on light vehicles and heavy infantry then.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

dexefiend posted:

Thanks, the loctite solved a lot of problems I was having putting some guild ball models together. It'd been a while since I worked with metal minis.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Throw it away in three months. Old super glue is also a problem.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Any tutorials on making faux stained-glass effects like the picture below?

All the tutorials I've found are how to do it via glue or some other barrier for normal sized stained glass. And this style isn't exactly stained glass. I forget the name of the famous work but it's also a popular instagram/prisma filter. I assume it might just have to be done with freehand, even on the larger spaceship models, but was wondering if there was at least an easier methodical approach.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Chill la Chill posted:

Any tutorials on making faux stained-glass effects like the picture below?

All the tutorials I've found are how to do it via glue or some other barrier for normal sized stained glass. And this style isn't exactly stained glass. I forget the name of the famous work but it's also a popular instagram/prisma filter. I assume it might just have to be done with freehand, even on the larger spaceship models, but was wondering if there was at least an easier methodical approach.

Seems to me like what you'd want to do is make a very basic color scheme, where you assign major areas a specific color for a broad stretch of it, then split those areas into 2 or 3 analogous colors per area.

lorddazron
Mar 31, 2011
So I've just started painting again after a long hiatus.

First new miniature for 8 years. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

lorddazron fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

lorddazron posted:

So I've just started painting again after a long hiatus.

First new miniature for 8 years. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

I don't think you need tips because that looks baller!