Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

taqueso posted:

Right now, barefoot makes some really loud sounds on certain surfaces

Huh! Inside regular wooden floored buildings and running on grass it seems quieter, though. But honestly I assume this is an oversight and that they'll patch it out, or at least make the two equal and cosmetic because there being an advantage or even any kind of difference in whether or not you're wearing shoes seems a bit silly

e: also the gas masks are entirely cosmetic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GioSPL
Apr 5, 2017

Ask me about spending 10BUX to play with GOONS on a dead game!

Bohemian Nights posted:

strange, but good to know. a gas grenade/gas bomb item would be interesting and give the masks some utility though

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

GioSPL posted:

strange, but good to know. a gas grenade/gas bomb item would be interesting and give the masks some utility though

For sure, but then I suppose it couldn't be a lootcrate item or lucky people would have a leg up from the second they spawn

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

It would be interesting if there was a significant shoe difference (Run Speed, Shoe Noise, Fall Damage??). H1Z1 tried to do that but it was 99% "do you have the fast shoes"

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Knifegrab posted:

They addressed three things in the list... I don't expect them to fix every problem with the game in a single patch.

update the gamer list make your voice be heard

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Ostentatious posted:

update the gamer list make your voice be heard

Yeah making a list of broken poo poo in this game is so daring

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Bohemian Nights posted:

Huh! Inside regular wooden floored buildings and running on grass it seems quieter, though. But honestly I assume this is an oversight and that they'll patch it out, or at least make the two equal and cosmetic because there being an advantage or even any kind of difference in whether or not you're wearing shoes seems a bit silly

I don't think it's all that silly. Finding clothes in the field that has a tangible benefit sounds like a good idea to me.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Bohemian Nights posted:

DayZ SA of course has cumulative foot damage you incur by running barefoot. It's fortunate PUBG is focused on action and fun rather than whatever it is DayZ devs are going for.

Generally if the clothing is only cosmetic you ultimately get everyone just wearing whatever's closest to camo they can find. I kinda think looting and finding Good Gear is a pretty big and fun part of the game so giving some gameplay bonuses to certain lootable clothing items might be cool.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Camo doesn't even remotely work in these games because everything you see is the player model's silhouette instead of the colors they have, with exception to someone wearing a neon pink shirt or something ridiculous. The only way camo works in games is if the game has a super lovely color palette and poor resolution so every mud colored player blends into the mud colored everything else or if it is something that breaks up the model's profile like ghillie suits and poo poo.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

emanresu tnuocca posted:

DayZ SA of course has cumulative foot damage you incur by running barefoot. It's fortunate PUBG is focused on action and fun rather than whatever it is DayZ devs are going for.

Generally if the clothing is only cosmetic you ultimately get everyone just wearing whatever's closest to camo they can find. I kinda think looting and finding Good Gear is a pretty big and fun part of the game so giving some gameplay bonuses to certain lootable clothing items might be cool.

Wait, are you saying that your ammo getting wet in the rain and jamming your gun isn't a fun feature?

Commoners posted:

Camo doesn't even remotely work in these games because everything you see is the player model's silhouette instead of the colors they have, with exception to someone wearing a neon pink shirt or something ridiculous. The only way camo works in games is if the game has a super lovely color palette and poor resolution so every mud colored player blends into the mud colored everything else or if it is something that breaks up the model's profile like ghillie suits and poo poo.

It's a really ugly engine that doesn't show detail until you obnoxiously close to something, which is really unfortunate. I tend to stick to darker clothes, because if people keep shadows on you can be pretty hard to see. I think the ghillie suit is a detriment, but I've only gotten it once or twice.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 18, 2017

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Commoners posted:

Hiding in bushes is actually a lot more effective if your clothes blend in. Dusters are kinda bad because they have a lot of flat surface texture, meaning they stick out when juxtaposed with the bushy bush texture. Colorful clothes are similarly bad for obvious reasons. Wearing dark earth tones (camo jacket, brown pants) and clothing that breaks your silhouette (gas masks, jackets) is effective though. I've had people basically walk like 5m past my hiding bush and not see me.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 18, 2017

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

I just want the camo jacket because it looks fresh and matches my outfit.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I hope this update makes everyone have way more foliage on all settings as opposed to lowering all the foliage across all settings.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

VulgarandStupid posted:

Wait, are you saying that your ammo getting wet in the rain and jamming your gun isn't a fun feature?

It's a really ugly engine that doesn't show detail until you obnoxiously close to something, which is really unfortunate. I tend to stick to darker clothes, because if people keep shadows on you can be pretty hard to see. I think the ghillie suit is a detriment, but I've only gotten it once or twice.

It's in Unreal Engine :ssh:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

The one thing I really want in this game like right now is binoculars. Hopefully next patch!

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747

Commoners posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JupOd_oHO94

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Gunder posted:

Does clothing (apart from vests and helmets) make any difference at all? Can I just run around in my underwear?

The trench coats clip through the walls, so it's pretty easy to tell if they're hiding in fuccboi hut or something. Tighty whities are easier to spot when you're against a rock or a bush, kinda.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Knifegrab posted:

The one thing I really want in this game like right now is binoculars. Hopefully next patch!

Please, please, oh please. Scoping/spotting areas (sans tagging) a-la Far Cry would make gameplay that much better.

Granted I do that with a 4x/8x scope, but a dedicated, higher-drop-rate set of binoculars would be rad.

And spotting for teammates, hrrrrng :flashfap:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Please, please, oh please. Scoping/spotting areas (sans tagging) a-la Far Cry would make gameplay that much better.

Granted I do that with a 4x/8x scope, but a dedicated, higher-drop-rate set of binoculars would be rad.

And spotting for teammates, hrrrrng :flashfap:

I dunno why but I love scouting areas and gaining intel. Its like sex for me (probably because I've never had sex). I don't think this game should have 3d spotting but what I would love is a better way to tell where an enemy is. The nice thing with shared waypoints now is if you spot an enemy, you can mark him on your map and your teammates can see where you marked!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
have they said what new content is in the works

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

eonwe posted:

have they said what new content is in the works

Peep the OP there is a fair list of things they've said they wanna work on. Currently they are dedicating a lot of people to fixing some serious performance issues they've identified that won't be in this patch.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Knifegrab posted:

I dunno why but I love scouting areas and gaining intel. Its like sex for me (probably because I've never had sex).

:same:

WelpEcho
Sep 12, 2006

Knifegrab posted:

I dunno why but I love scouting areas and gaining intel. Its like sex for me (probably because I've never had sex). I don't think this game should have 3d spotting but what I would love is a better way to tell where an enemy is. The nice thing with shared waypoints now is if you spot an enemy, you can mark him on your map and your teammates can see where you marked!

Put this in the OP. Maybe not the last sentence, up to you.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Just had my best solo finish at #3. Also learned that running people over doesn't damage their armor, which gave me a sweet upgrade when I squished a dude who had apparently been at the military base judging by his level 3 vest and helmet, and tricked out M16.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Anyone have a summary of suggested video settings and INI changes?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Just how poorly optimized is this game? i7 2600k, HD 7950, 8GB RAM (yes it's time to upgrade, I know). Should I even attempt it, or no?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Canuckistan posted:

Anyone have a summary of suggested video settings and INI changes?

They killed ini changes in a previous patch. AFAIK, go very low on everything except textures and view distance.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Shooting Blanks posted:

Just how poorly optimized is this game? i7 2600k, HD 7950, 8GB RAM (yes it's time to upgrade, I know). Should I even attempt it, or no?

This game is the great equalizer. I have a loving 1080ti and it runs exactly the same (and actually somewhat a little worse sometimes) than my friend who has a 980 on the same settings.

Its dog poo poo but you'll probably be fine as long as you are ok with ~30 fps.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
For some reason females have their breasts flattened when you're riding in the back of the buggy.

v:v:v

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Knifegrab posted:

Yeah making a list of broken poo poo in this game is so daring

be the change you want to see in the world or remain a lazy milennial your choice

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

"You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain" - Ronald Reagan, 1990

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCQulQtwzFY

tl;dw: Armor tier determines protection, not damage or armor health. Having a damage level 3 is likely a better idea than an undamaged level 2. Also as long as the helmet or body armor has even a sliver of health it will offer full protection. A helmet with 10 health left will protect you the exact same from a sniper shot that a full health helmet will.

Also this means the table in the OP is :siren:incorrect:siren:

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
We all know underwear offers the best protection.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

If you have $0.81 the tan and green jacket is really good

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Made it into the top 40 on my first go without killing a soul, found a nice-looking shotgun and a revolver, saw a care package drop from the sky and picked up a ghillie suit and rifle from it, crashed upon finding a decent place to perch.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Knifegrab posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCQulQtwzFY

tl;dw: Armor tier determines protection, not damage or armor health. Having a damage level 3 is likely a better idea than an undamaged level 2. Also as long as the helmet or body armor has even a sliver of health it will offer full protection. A helmet with 10 health left will protect you the exact same from a sniper shot that a full health helmet will.

Also this means the table in the OP is :siren:incorrect:siren:

Good video. I just put things in the OP that I think would be helpful, not completely surprised that the chart is wrong. I think I did see a new one lately, but I couldn't confirm the veracity of it either. I'll look for that other chart and I'll check if the data matches that video.

VulgarandStupid posted:

I'm not 100% sure how the armor health system works, but if it were between a Level 3 helmet that's severely damaged and a Level 1 helmet, I'd take the level 3. If I'm correct in my assumption, and looking at the chart in the OP, just having the helmet will reduce the damage I take from a headshot, even if it breaks. It simply won't be there for the next one, so in this case, you can survive a single headshot from some of the higher damage rifles where a level 1 wouldn't. A follow up shot, nearly anywhere, would kill you anyway though. However, on the body armor side, you're looking at multiple shots to kill, anyway so I'm unsure of the math there.

To be honest, I think very little is known about the armor system and things like limb damage. I haven't tested any of it out yet, although we've all been hit without our armor/helmet sustaining any damage.

mehall posted:

Damaged helmets reduce less of the damage than undamaged helmets.

A level 3 with about 150 left is equal to a fresh level 2.

A level 2 with about 90 left is equal to a fresh level 1.

The more damage armor takes, the less good it does. It's not a flat modifier.

Good to see some people are aware of the things they aren't sure about, while others will talk out of their rear end. My assumption was correct that the damage system is more on the simple side, rather than actually programming a more complex damage system. Fake news, etc.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

This is amazing.

It's weird with LOD being what it is that camouflage in this game sometimes works better the closer you are. If you're close and in grass you could blend in but on a far hill you're just on a bare polygon.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

funny Star Wars parody posted:

If you have $0.81 the tan and green jacket is really good

Doesn't appear to exist on the marketplace.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

VulgarandStupid posted:

Good video. I just put things in the OP that I think would be helpful, not completely surprised that the chart is wrong. I think I did see a new one lately, but I couldn't confirm the veracity of it either. I'll look for that other chart and I'll check if the data matches that video.

Good to see some people are aware of the things they aren't sure about, while others will talk out of their rear end. My assumption was correct that the damage system is more on the simple side, rather than actually programming a more complex damage system. Fake news, etc.

Yeah no worries, that chart is still a good guide, I just wanted people to realize it might not be super accurate. For example the chart claims a kar body shot to a level 3 will kill in three hits (49.5 damage) but its closer to five, which for the kar is a staggering difference.

The makers of the video said they're going to do a damage video once the patch drops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Knifegrab posted:

Yeah no worries, that chart is still a good guide, I just wanted people to realize it might not be super accurate. For example the chart claims a kar body shot to a level 3 will kill in three hits (49.5 damage) but its closer to five, which for the kar is a staggering difference.

The makers of the video said they're going to do a damage video once the patch drops.

It's not 3 or 5, its 4...

But yea, looks like damage values are going to change soon.

• Locked thread