Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Phi230 posted:

They are all good except book 4

Ah poo poo, I just started that one :[ Is it bad bad bad or just bad in comparison?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

AlternateAccount posted:

Ah poo poo, I just started that one :[ Is it bad bad bad or just bad in comparison?

I dunno I just started book 3

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

AlternateAccount posted:

Mostly just different in comparison. It's not bad, bad. I like to think of it as a western.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

AlternateAccount posted:

It's not terrible, but it's not great. A lot of the new characters are pretty flat, and the story is kind of just one damned thing after another in a way that started to feel a bit silly to me.

Edit: I did the series as audiobooks, and my opinion of Cibola Burn wasn't helped at all by the lovely narrator. They've since re-released the book with narration by the guy who did the rest of the series, but I think the bad narration definitely left me feeling less charitable about the writing.

Toast Museum fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 18, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The worst part of Cibola Burn is the terrible romance subplot.

Sorry if it's a spoiler that there's a terrible romance subplot in a scifi book.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

AlternateAccount posted:

edit: Also, weird. Looks like the Arbogast doesn't undergo the EXPLODING DIAGRAM effect around Venus.

Waiting for all those MYTHBUSTERS memes.
I havent read the book, can you explain what happens?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dodoman posted:

You know how engineering diagrams have "exploded views" where every part is separated out. Venus does this to poor Arbo

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Dodoman posted:

Arbogast, which in the books doesn't feature any known characters and is just a science ship a thing happens to and is reported on later, is remotely telekinetically disassembled in orbit down to its every single component part, which then fall into Venus, crew, rivets, screws, individual deck plates and all. The working theory of the scientific community is that the protomolecule structure on Venus is just curious about how human technology works and took it apart as an experiment. Everyone collectively shits their pants again and waits with greater fear for what it will do next. It basically serves as a "meanwhile, on Venus" report Avasarala receives to keep some protomolecule on Venus tension while all the Ganymede and Earth/Mao/Avasarala/Bobby stuff plays out.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

AlternateAccount posted:

It's moderately boring, as said above the "lady scientist has the hots for someone" POV scenes are the only aggressively bad parts and they aren't too pervasive. The villain is cartoonish and not very compelling, but you did get to see a minor first book character make a reappearance and a major first book character has their story closed out. I honestly wont' be surprised if this entire book is cut out or radically changed in the show, and I kind of hope it is.

As a book reader I think it has some value in characterization of the Rocinante crew, since they spend a lot of it split up into two teams, something that doesn't happen much in the books up to that point. On the other hand, the show characterization is amazing, so you've already got that. I enjoyed the Amos vs. the Bad Guy macho posing because of first season show Amos characterization.

Cibola Burn's overall arc and resolution sets up the astropolitical fears and opportunities that drive the rest of the series, but you can get a lot of that by reading Avasarala's epilogue talk with Bobbie about how Holden has completely hosed up the entire system's political situation by doing the job she told him to do and unexpectedly succeeding.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
If I recall.. (More venus chat obv)

This happens in time with the initial Proto-soldier attack on Ganymede. When that attack happens, all the scientists studying Venus notice a huge uptick in activity. Think, like when Miller is going in to Eros for the last time, how the blue fireflies started to swarm as it detected the Earth's nuclear arsenal heading in at it. Eventually they connect the dots and figure out that it's learning about them, and that it has FTL communication capability.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Gwaihir posted:

If I recall.. (More venus chat obv)

This happens in time with the initial Proto-soldier attack on Ganymede. When that attack happens, all the scientists studying Venus notice a huge uptick in activity. Think, like when Miller is going in to Eros for the last time, how the blue fireflies started to swarm as it detected the Earth's nuclear arsenal heading in at it. Eventually they connect the dots and figure out that it's learning about them, and that it has FTL communication capability.

Oh, that's right, it's the first of three(?) datapoints establishing a link between those two things. I'd say they abandoned that link for the show, but it's quite possible they'll introduce it out of sequence with the destruction of the monster on the Rocinante triggering the destruction of the Arboghast (and/or the Martian ship there). Then next season they can kill off the remaining monsters on Io (if they keep that) which can trigger the protomolecule structure taking off from Venus. Or maybe it'll activate on Venus or in the vicinity of Venus in the show.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Show only speculation: When do we think Cortazar, Dawes, and Naomi's secret protomolecule stash will reappear? I have a complaint that they dropped that so abruptly mid-season and don't seem likely to bring it back in the final episode. By the time they do next season, it will be a bit of "who are these people again, and why did it take them so long to do this stuff?"

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Show only speculation: When do we think Cortazar, Dawes, and Naomi's secret protomolecule stash will reappear? I have a complaint that they dropped that so abruptly mid-season and don't seem likely to bring it back in the final episode. By the time they do next season, it will be a bit of "who are these people again, and why did it take them so long to do this stuff?"

Feels like that existed just to stress Holden and Naomi's relationship and trust. The protomolocule is out and free and everywhere again so they don't need that source.

Especially now with Mars out of the running what with the heart attack.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

KakerMix posted:

Feels like that existed just to stress Holden and Naomi's relationship and trust. The protomolocule is out and free and everywhere again so they don't need that source.

Especially now with Mars out of the running what with the heart attack.

It's not clear that it's everywhere. It's on the Rocinante, it's possibly on Ganymede or wherever Dr. Guy went with the other kids/monsters, it's not obvious that another sample exists elsewhere in raw protomolecule form. And it's on Venus, but LOL at trying to harvest from that source.

I wouldn't say Mars is out of the running just because their Minister of Defense died. The rest of the conspiracy exists, and Mars has a locally dominant fleet at Jupiter. It's not clear how big the approaching UN force is or when it arrives.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

AlternateAccount posted:

The first four books have a pattern where the eventual crew of the Roci go somewhere and do something with the addition of some guest POVs who are associated with the main story but then are ushered off screen. The guest POVs in Caliban's War (which the show is about halfway through) were Avarsala and Bobbie, who are awesome, and Prax, who is alright.

The main guest POV in Cibola Burn is a research scientist who really needs to get laid. No joke, that is the full extent of her character.

It'd be interesting to see what happens to Frankie Adams if there is a Season 4, which would probably correspond with Abbadon's Gate. Unlike book characters, actors need to work continuously, and if you let them go to find another contract they might not be able to come back when you need them. Bobbie is not in books 3 or 4 at all, so the show might need to invent things for her to do just to keep Frankie on the cast.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I hope they differ from the books a lot more then. I rather have a stable ensemble cast that just shifts the focus around rather than introducing cool characters then ditching them.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah, the "guest" characters work fine in a book, but I'd rather see the show work with a more permanent cast. They've done a really good job with working Avasarala into the story as a more major character, and I hope they can do it with at least Bobby, as well. She shouldn't be too hard to work into most of the story later on, really, there are plenty of faceless mooks with guns that could become her or a spare bunk on the Roci she could fill.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I hope they drop book 4, because gently caress that poo poo.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Crazycryodude posted:

Yeah, the "guest" characters work fine in a book, but I'd rather see the show work with a more permanent cast. They've done a really good job with working Avasarala into the story as a more major character, and I hope they can do it with at least Bobby, as well. She shouldn't be too hard to work into most of the story later on, really, there are plenty of faceless mooks with guns that could become her or a spare bunk on the Roci she could fill.

Hell, she actually (General book spoilers) joins the crew in book 6, and before then she and Alex, being Martians trained to fly and flight gunboats like the Rocinante, work together like a well oiled machine in space battles. It's a matter of when, not if, and what the show would make up for her to do in the stories where she wasn't involved.

I don't remember if Avarsala had a decent sized role in Book 3 either. That one focuses pretty heavily on Belter internal factionalism.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Combat Pretzel posted:

I hope they drop book 4, because gently caress that poo poo.

Except for the investigator. But maybe they'll change or completely drop (:qq:) that character.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Mars4523 posted:

I don't remember if Avarsala had a decent sized role in Book 3 either. That one focuses pretty heavily on Belter internal factionalism.

She's only mentioned in passing in the epilogue. A guy mentions her name, a new POV character says "who"?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

They invented an entire book's worth of stuff for Avasarala to do during Season 1/the first bit of 2. I'm sure they can do it again for her later/do it for other characters that would need it to stick around constantly.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Mars4523 posted:

The main guest POV in Cibola Burn is a research scientist who really needs to get laid. No joke, that is the full extent of her character.

Let's be fair, that character is also there to let us know that the authors read The Blind Watchmaker shortly before starting on the book.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The reason Cibola Burn would make a dismal loving season of TV is that something like half the book is spent under constant rain in waist-deep mud infested with poisonous slugs. And not in a cool hell planet way, it's just everybody huddled together in some ruins, trying to keep the slugs out while they go blind. It would be a thin premise for an episode of Stargate, never mind a trying-to-be-prestige drama.

You'd need Lars von Trier to make that situation entertaining to watch.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

There is some nice character development and some scenes that I would love to see put to screen. It also sets up a lot of the political/social climate that leads to the later books.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Toast Museum posted:

Let's be fair, that character is also there to let us know that the authors read The Blind Watchmaker shortly before starting on the book.

I loving hate when you can notice poo poo like this. It usually shows the writer has a really limited pool of reference and needs to read a fuckload more before being allowed to write again.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Honestly, the book 3 crazy supervision out of nowhere seems like it would be eh TV at best. The crew doesn't seem to have a lot of agency in that book and there's not enough good character conflict to continue the pattern of the show.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

Honestly, the book 3 crazy supervision out of nowhere seems like it would be eh TV at best. The crew doesn't seem to have a lot of agency in that book and there's not enough good character conflict to continue the pattern of the show.

"Abbadon's Gate"? I could see it making great TV akin to Battlestar's half-season arcs. I trust the show writers, they know what they're doing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Peaches is going to be great.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I loving hate when you can notice poo poo like this. It usually shows the writer has a really limited pool of reference and needs to read a fuckload more before being allowed to write again.

It's a shame because the ideas they were drawing on were both interesting and relevant, but the way they incorporated them just felt sweaty. Like, the authors made the same mistake as the character they used as a vehicle for that material: they didn't explain the concept very well at all.

Caveat: The Investigator interludes actually touched on the same ideas in an interesting way. Showing evolution from the POV of an evolutionary algorithm was a lot more engaging than having Elvi bark out similar concepts to a dumbfounded Holden.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Snuffman posted:

"Abbadon's Gate"? I could see it making great TV akin to Battlestar's half-season arcs. I trust the show writers, they know what they're doing.

I do, too. We will see how they manage.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

vermin posted:

Holden reminds me a lot of Seth Bullock from Deadwood. He's single-minded and boring but at the same time you don't know how far he's going to take "doing the right thing" to the point that he's a ticking time-bomb.

Now that he's given up hunting for white walkers I don't know what his motivation's going to be.

If only Holdens actor could manage a hundredth of the simmering cauldron of barely contained rage that was Seth Bullock. That speech in the last episode was a step in the right direction though.

Amose and Avarsala continue to be the best, Bobbie is actually growing on me as well.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Wait, why does she need to bend the knees just to pick up a few sandwiches?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Because that's a really regular thing you do when you picking up something awkward with your fingers? I guess it's a tall person thing?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Because that's a really regular thing you do when you picking up something awkward with your fingers? I guess it's a tall person thing?

Yeah, I'm a lanky gently caress and do this all the time.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Imagine Timothy Olyphant playing Holden instead :stare:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Zzulu posted:

Imagine Timothy Olyphant playing Holden instead :stare:

To be honest when I heard they were doing the series I thought there was zero chance that Holden wasn't going to be played by Tahmoh Penikett.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Party Plane Jones posted:

to be played by Tahmoh Penikett.
If someone has the holier-than-thou and judgmental tones down, it's him.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

Party Plane Jones posted:

To be honest when I heard they were doing the series I thought there was zero chance that Holden wasn't going to be played by Tahmoh Penikett.

I miss BSG. At least the early parts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I watched it for the first time 2 or 3 years ago and thought it was fairly :mediocre:

It's just way too easy to date it to the early 2000s and Iraq. Totally rips you out of the story. And I stopped watching it before the part everyone says it goes way off the rails, so I can't imagine how terrible the 3rd season onwards is.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 19, 2017

• Locked thread