Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Regalingualius posted:

What about Samlab 2021?

"You want the beard on or off?"
"Off"
"... Too bad"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You cant just call him "foolish" samurai. How would you like it if there was a good aku and everyone called you evil aku?

There is a good aku?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Barudak posted:

There is a good aku?

This would be a good, and also very 90s cartoon theme for an episode.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Seems pretty obvious Jack's following Samurai Grim Reaper to take himself out of the picture, since he's snapped at the thought that his ongoing existence is causing net suffering because he'll never defeat Aku but by his struggling against Aku innocent people are being harmed. The whole "they chose their path" justification he used when fighting the Daughters has fallen apart as he's gotten to know Ashi and it's obvious they never really had a choice and then those alien children are forced to attack him too, whether they were actually alive at the end wasn't as important as the traumatic thought that he's the catalyst for their suffering. We saw the armoured suit guy explain they'd deliberately chosen to use children, knowing Jack wouldn't be able to fight back, so at least a few people have figured out Jack's real weakness by now.

It's a little ironic that this is being done in Aku's name and Aku himself probably has no idea. He hardly even seems to care. Aku's evil empire is self-maintaining in a way that's somehow even more grinding than if Aku had personally directed these latest attempts to kill Jack. It sort of drives home the futility of Jack's resistance that he isn't even threatening Aku anymore. At the same time, Ashi is learning the opposite lesson, and by seeing the children survived (who obviously parallel her experience) then resistance against Aku is possible after all.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

RareAcumen posted:

Also also also also also also also also also also also also also! Ashi's kind of a work in progress case on getting deprogrammed on that whole 'Living weapon, kill the samurai' purpose. So after seeing the fuzzy blue monsters screaming in pain and every single one of them collapse it's not too much a stretch to think that she decided to kill them to solve the problem.

I thought this was obvious, and definitely the first thing that popped into my head. Episode was still good, even if not as good as the first three.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Dolash posted:

Seems pretty obvious Jack's following Samurai Grim Reaper to take himself out of the picture, since he's snapped at the thought that his ongoing existence is causing net suffering because he'll never defeat Aku but by his struggling against Aku innocent people are being harmed. The whole "they chose their path" justification he used when fighting the Daughters has fallen apart as he's gotten to know Ashi and it's obvious they never really had a choice and then those alien children are forced to attack him too, whether they were actually alive at the end wasn't as important as the traumatic thought that he's the catalyst for their suffering. We saw the armoured suit guy explain they'd deliberately chosen to use children, knowing Jack wouldn't be able to fight back, so at least a few people have figured out Jack's real weakness by now.

It's a little ironic that this is being done in Aku's name and Aku himself probably has no idea. He hardly even seems to care. Aku's evil empire is self-maintaining in a way that's somehow even more grinding than if Aku had personally directed these latest attempts to kill Jack. It sort of drives home the futility of Jack's resistance that he isn't even threatening Aku anymore. At the same time, Ashi is learning the opposite lesson, and by seeing the children survived (who obviously parallel her experience) then resistance against Aku is possible after all.

This is a very good analysis, and puts Scaramouche casually destroying a village back in the first episode in a new light. Scaramouche even pointed out that the trick's been done before.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Barudak posted:

You cant just call him "foolish" samurai. How would you like it if there was a good aku and everyone called you evil aku?

There is a good aku?

it's the psychologist aku

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I forget, did Jack look older at the end of the last series, when the guardian guy said he'd eventually go back to the past but not yet?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah, he also had the beard, though he looks a bit more older with grey streaks in that picture.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Thinking back, the one thing that bothered me about this episode was Aku's voice. And not because of anything that Greg Baldwin did badly imitating Mako, but it seems like there's usually more of a echo-y effect when Aku talks but in this episode he's just... talking. Am I going crazy and (not) hearing things?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

TwoPair posted:

Thinking back, the one thing that bothered me about this episode was Aku's voice. And not because of anything that Greg Baldwin did badly imitating Mako, but it seems like there's usually more of a echo-y effect when Aku talks but in this episode he's just... talking. Am I going crazy and (not) hearing things?

Yeah, for some reason, they seem to have dropped that this season (perhaps to further hammer in Aku's decline). It's not just you.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TwoPair posted:

malaaaaaaaaise (its noticeably missing, i think it helps emphasize his general unmotivation in everything)

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I would be very content to know that Aku only echoes through effort on his part.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I wasn't a fan of the Scotsman telling his girls to cover up. That's none of your beeswax, dad!

It fit his character though. And he got lasered.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
For reasons completely unrelated to the next episode promo, I'd like to post this.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Also, this is who Jack was, and who he still is, and what I expect the next episode or two to try to show us:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bhMQ7U_Ysg

We (and Jack, and Ashi) will see precisely why Jack's fight wasn't futile, and why Jack must go on.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

evilmiera posted:

I wasn't a fan of the Scotsman telling his girls to cover up. That's none of your beeswax, dad!

I thought it was lame but he immediately clarifies that they'll catch a cold, not that they're showing too much skin, so I think it's endearing/doting instead of sexist.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

I thought it was lame but he immediately clarifies that they'll catch a cold, not that they're showing too much skin, so I think it's endearing/doting instead of sexist.

Says the guy rolling around in a wheelchair like Mr Plinkett, arms exposed and everything.

But yeah, it wasn't awful, just weirdish.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I for one appreciate the idea that the Scotsman's take on fighting Aku was to literally build an army.

It's funny if you imagine that siring a hundred daughters is what put him in the wheelchair, not fighting robots.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It's an incredibly Dad thing to do, with the added joke that he's being protective even as they're about to battle an evil god. Scotsman obviously trusts his daughters' combat capacity, but they're still his children and he's gonna nag 'em.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just had a for-real LOL thinking about a hundred thick scottish women's accents as they ruthlessly tease all the herculoids for "dwivin' their wee leetle trucky-wuckies to the big ol' fight" while Scotsman looks on with unfathomable pride.

The Dad stuff in this season is paramount, because I think ultimately Ashi's transformation hinges on Aku being a bad father to her, as opposed to being the actual living incarnation of evil, sorrow, and despair. If she had even one memory of Aku thatwas happy, this wouldn't be so cut-&-dry.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Das Boo posted:

It's an incredibly Dad thing to do, with the added joke that he's being protective even as they're about to battle an evil god. Scotsman obviously trusts his daughters' combat capacity, but they're still his children and he's gonna nag 'em.

Scotsman's entire culture is based around strength, insults and constant quibbling. So of course he's going to find something to complain about for his army of badass warrior daughters. They'd probably be disappointed if he didn't.

Even in his last living moments and probably well past 80, Scotsman went out like the badass he is. And now he's a force ghost.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bust Rodd posted:

The Dad stuff in this season is paramount, because I think ultimately Ashi's transformation hinges on Aku being a bad father to her, as opposed to being the actual living incarnation of evil, sorrow, and despair. If she had even one memory of Aku thatwas happy, this wouldn't be so cut-&-dry.

c'mon now do you have any idea what it's like to pay child support to an entire generations-old cult

Maslovo
Oct 12, 2016

Is it wrong that I find it kinda funny that Ashi's upbringing was so strict that even her delusion-mom barely tried to get her back on track before calling her a failure and leaving?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Ashi's going to dramatically confront Aku and he's not even going to know who she is. "I grew up in an evil cult of Aku, dedicated to destroying The Samurai" can hardly be news.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

wiegieman posted:

Ashi's going to dramatically confront Aku and he's not even going to know who she is. "I grew up in an evil cult of Aku, dedicated to destroying The Samurai" can hardly be news.

"Huh? Which one? There's been SO MANY these long years."

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

I never played it, is this actually from the PS2 game?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

my dad posted:

Also, this is who Jack was, and who he still is, and what I expect the next episode or two to try to show us:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bhMQ7U_Ysg

We (and Jack, and Ashi) will see precisely why Jack's fight wasn't futile, and why Jack must go on.

I think you're spot on with this. The show definitely seems to be building us up for a moment where Jack has to be convinced that even though innocents have suffered due to his struggle with Aku, many more have been inspired to rise up and fight back as best they can.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

mycot posted:

I never played it, is this actually from the PS2 game?

All signs point to yes.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Nemo2342 posted:

I think you're spot on with this. The show definitely seems to be building us up for a moment where Jack has to be convinced that even though innocents have suffered due to his struggle with Aku, many more have been inspired to rise up and fight back as best they can.

Just look at how much he "inspired" The Scotsman and his wife.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Nemo2342 posted:

Oh man it would be so cool if Ashi meet up with Jack with all the people who he saved, and they have a little get together or something.

J.A.B.C. posted:

In what way? This last episode was kinda on the nose, but it wasn't what I would call bad, even compared to the previous episodes.

Share with us. Perhaps there is something people are missing, like that one video that explains why the Cinematography in 'The Room' is actually cool and good.

https://youtu.be/BD-YZbeajeY

I didn't mind the last episode but it definitely had a noticeable difference in storytelling. The first three episodes had a lot of metaphoric moments that really made it feel magical. For example the lighting bug slowly following the warriors and Jack. The metaphor with the wolf's journey and Jack's journey. For the first (four in my opinion) episodes it seemed like each one tried out a new technique in animation, a new way to tell the story. A fight in black and white using the light of the weapons to show you what was going on. Another fight took place in the snow where you couldn't tell what was in the foreground/background. The fourth one was just gorgeous, while not having much plot movement god-drat was it beautiful.

The fifth one, I think the main difference, is the animation was more used as a tool to tell the story rather than having the animation be part of the story. Or rather it was all face value, there was no metaphor or scenes that were used in a way to suggest any kind of weight in a unique way (for example instead of having Jack say I feel bad for murdering those people, the series has a murder of crows yelling murder at him).

It's that kind of poetry that was kind of missing from this episode, which is alright. Don't get me wrong I liked this episode especially for the Scotsman part and kind of a little sad that he didn't get more screen time. Someone pointed out that the kids being controlled were very similar to the daughters of Aku, and I'll admit I see it just for some reason it doesn't hit me in the same way the murder of crows hit me. The original series did have moments of a very a to b storytelling style and other moments where it expected it's audience to have patience and pay attention visually, while I prefer the latter it would be wrong of me to say that Samurai Jack isn't a mix up of both.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Gynovore posted:

IMHO the last two episodes were good but not as mega-awesome as the first ones. I guess the initial momentum is wearing off.

Nude posted:

Oh man it would be so cool if Ashi meet up with Jack with all the people who he saved, and they have a little get together or something.

I didn't mind the last episode but it definitely had a noticeable difference in storytelling. The first three episodes had a lot of metaphoric moments that really made it feel magical. For example the lighting bug slowly following the warriors and Jack. The metaphor with the wolf's journey and Jack's journey. For the first (four in my opinion) episodes it seemed like each one tried out a new technique in animation, a new way to tell the story. A fight in black and white using the light of the weapons to show you what was going on. Another fight took place in the snow where you couldn't tell what was in the foreground/background. The fourth one was just gorgeous, while not having much plot movement god-drat was it beautiful.

The fifth one, I think the main difference, is the animation was more used as a tool to tell the story rather than having the animation be part of the story. Or rather it was all face value, there was no metaphor or scenes that were used in a way to suggest any kind of weight in a unique way (for example instead of having Jack say I feel bad for murdering those people, the series has a murder of crows yelling murder at him).

It's that kind of poetry that was kind of missing from this episode, which is alright. Don't get me wrong I liked this episode especially for the Scotsman part and kind of a little sad that he didn't get more screen time. Someone pointed out that the kids being controlled were very similar to the daughters of Aku, and I'll admit I see it just for some reason it doesn't hit me in the same way the murder of crows hit me. The original series did have moments of a very a to b storytelling style and other moments where it expected it's audience to have patience and pay attention visually, while I prefer the latter it would be wrong of me to say that Samurai Jack isn't a mix up of both.

That's kind of my opinion on the episode. I mean, the first four were really, really powerful in terms of visual storytelling that this one kind of falls short in that department. It still builds on the world and shows Ashi as a childish figure trying to grow out of her preconceptions, but there was bound to be a downward trend sooner or later.

I was directly addressing a goon acting especially goon-ish by declaring that he'd stop watching the show because he thought the episodes were just that bad. I don't see Ep. 5 as a dealbreaker in all honesty, and Ep. 4 was a fun and colorful episode about an angry baby and a suicidal dad escaping a giant fishmonster. It's still quite a bit ahead of many other shows, and wanted to know why he thought these last two episodes were that bad. Hence, why I brought up that video with the Room. There's neat stuff in there, but the whole thing is kind of poo poo. This is sort of the opposite, where there's some poor stuff but overall it's been really well done and fun to watch.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
In the future I'll want to go back and watch the first four episodes again, even just each one on its own.

I don't really care to watch the fifth episode again, ever.

Still really looking forward to the rest of the series.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
please listen to my opinion!!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

So, is it just me, or did they very conspicuously not show Ghotsman's legs during that brief snippet we got to see of him?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ghosts don't have legs. That's silly.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Waffleman_ posted:

Ghosts don't have legs. That's silly.

Is that why they keep stripping Jack down to his skivvies every episode so that way we know for sure he isn't a ghost underneath the white robe of his?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
It's that insidious Female Gaze that creeps into every show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So did they say if this season's going to conclude the entire thing? Like will the Guardian and that one other time portal come up or is it assumed that it was also destroyed by Aku and hence the guardian too

• Locked thread