Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

It's a beta stage suicide booth. :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

That's looks like a great idea for chainsaw carving

Your femoral artery.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Jesus christ it literally is a circular saw blade... I was expecting to see a 4" cutter from a horizontal mill which is actually designed to cut metal!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ferremit posted:

Jesus christ it literally is a circular saw blade... I was expecting to see a 4" cutter from a horizontal mill which is actually designed to cut metal!

It’s worse than that. Those blades are designed to be used in counter‐rotating pairs. The teeth of each blade come together from opposite directions and act like tin snips.

When you only use one blade, it is extremely liable to kick back.

e: You can get an idea of how it’s supposed to work in this image (also I like their slogan):

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

:magical:

If you tried that in Australia, Safework would have you bent over removing the contents of your bank accounts violently before throwing your stupid arse in prison, ESPECIALLY if someone got injured by it!

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Ferremit posted:

:magical:

If you tried that in Australia, Safework would have you bent over removing the contents of your bank accounts violently before throwing your stupid arse in prison, ESPECIALLY if someone got injured by it!

Austal is an Australian company, but I'm sure that the Alabamaness of the yard here overrides that.

coathat
May 21, 2007

I've done a bunch of wood carving with an angle grinder blade and it's a whole lot of fun and not very safe overall, but using one for metal fabrication sounds crazy.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Has anyone ever watched the knife making show forged in fire? Always an angle grinder stitch needing accident every show. Molten steel check anvil check angle grinder check time limit check and mate.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Elephanthead posted:

Has anyone ever watched the knife making show forged in fire? Always an angle grinder stitch needing accident every show. Molten steel check anvil check angle grinder check time limit check and mate. where's the mate to the other half of this finger?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I picked up these guys a couple days ago on Amazon for $5 flat. I am not sure why they priced it that way. I hope it wasn't a scam from a 3rd party seller.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

TotalLossBrain posted:

I picked up these guys a couple days ago on Amazon for $5 flat. I am not sure why they priced it that way. I hope it wasn't a scam from a 3rd party seller.

Even if it was, that's worth gambling on. You'll get your money back, no worries, it just takes a call to Amazon or the credit card company.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Elephanthead posted:

Has anyone ever watched the knife making show forged in fire? Always an angle grinder stitch needing accident every show. Molten steel check anvil check angle grinder check time limit check and mate.

One of my earliest memories was being put on finger pick up duty and scouring the back yard of grandmas place after when my dad severed parts of 4 of his fingers "fixing" grandmas running lawnmower.

Kids! Go find your dads fingers!

They weren't able to re-attach them so it was futile anyhow. But hey, life loving experience was had by the 3 of us!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

sharkytm posted:

Even if it was, that's worth gambling on. You'll get your money back, no worries, it just takes a call to Amazon or the credit card company.

it's definitely too good to be true and it's definitely bad to participate in these sales. it's clearly a scam and it's happening all the time now, i've seen a ton of threads on garage journal with similar circumstances.

even if amazon refunds the money, scammers are getting away with a non-zero amount.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

slidebite posted:

My dad used to reach under running mowers, he never got hurt but I never understood taking the risk. Idiotic.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

slidebite posted:

One of my earliest memories was being put on finger pick up duty and scouring the back yard of grandmas place after when my dad severed parts of 4 of his fingers "fixing" grandmas running lawnmower.

They weren't able to re-attach them so it was futile anyhow. But hey, life loving experience was had by the 3 of us!

:stare: And I say that as someone whose dad is missing 1/2 a finger due to an incident with a big agricultural mower.

wormil posted:

My dad used to reach under running mowers, he never got hurt but I never understood taking the risk. Idiotic.

What can you even hope to accomplish doing this?

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

cakesmith handyman posted:

That's looks like a great idea for chainsaw carving

Your femoral artery.

The next time I need to arrange an unscheduled sex change for someone, this product will do nicely.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

slidebite posted:

We used to hunt for eggs at Easter.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

R-Type posted:

The next time I need to arrange an unscheduled sex change for someone, this product will do nicely.

If you arrange it it's not unscheduled. Unplanned on their behalf maybe.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ultimately, the difference only matters when doing the OEE measurement on your redneck elective surgery.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

BeastOfExmoor posted:

What can you even hope to accomplish doing this?

Clearing clumps of grass plugging up the discharge chute.

Having grown up in a farming community, I've seen many people take unnecessary risks and more than my share of missing fingers. And I've seen a few friends who stayed in that area end up with mangled hands, feet, and legs, from factory jobs.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

In an estate sale on craigslist someone listed a circular saw in its original box for $35. I got it for 30.

It was a Makita 5402-a :stare:

I'm not a small man, but drat, I would have a hard time accurately wielding this 16 5/16" blade motherfucker.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

coathat
May 21, 2007

Lucky. I'd love a saw that big.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Holy poo poo that is a big saw.
Also that's a great deal for $30

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Christ, the saws I use at the firehouse to cut up roofs, cars, and other poo poo are 14" max. That thing is loving huge. The torque on that thing when it's spinning must be insane.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Fired up to full RPM it probably creates a god drat event horizon.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Seminal Flu posted:

In an estate sale on craigslist someone listed a circular saw in its original box for $35. I got it for 30.

I'm not a small man, but drat, I would have a hard time accurately wielding this 16 5/16" blade motherfucker.

I have one of these in my shop, so rad. Makita still sells them too, but its strange it only has a 15amp motor.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Seminal Flu posted:

Holy jesus that is like a $600+ saw. Got any 6x6es that need cut to length?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

TotalLossBrain posted:

It's a scam, the order won't go anywhere and it's incumbent on you to remember to get your money back a month from now or whenever. I've bought similar vaporware things from ebay, amazon, and even some crappy sketchy site called dealscube, alll instances where the price was too good to be true. Just don't do it, I had to do a credit card chargeback on the last one, it's just a huge pain in the butt.

Also, Amazon's customer service is pretty much nonexistent, just fyi.

E: Here's a good article about it:

http://www.pymnts.com/amazon/2017/sellers-lose-thousands-as-amazon-marketplace-is-hit-by-hackers/

Also, check out haveibeenpwned.com to see where you've been part of a hack and what information was stolen there. This site is fantastic, they'll give you details about exactly what's been compromised so you know for instance that you shouldn't be using your linked in password or something like that.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 19, 2017

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

:confused: I've literally never had a bad experience with amazon customer service. Maybe being a prime member helps? I mean, it's not as good as it was a few years ago, but it's certainly better than most

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

OSU_Matthew posted:

It's a scam, the order won't go anywhere and it's incumbent on you to remember to get your money back a month from now or whenever. I've bought similar vaporware things from ebay, amazon, and even some crappy sketchy site called dealscube, alll instances where the price was too good to be true. Just don't do it, I had to do a credit card chargeback on the last one, it's just a huge pain in the butt.

Also, Amazon's customer service is pretty much nonexistent, just fyi.

E: Here's a good article about it:

http://www.pymnts.com/amazon/2017/sellers-lose-thousands-as-amazon-marketplace-is-hit-by-hackers/

Also, check out haveibeenpwned.com to see where you've been part of a hack and what information was stolen there. This site is fantastic, they'll give you details about exactly what's been compromised so you know for instance that you shouldn't be using your linked in password or something like that.

Thank you for this helpful information. It will be the first time getting scammed on Amazon since I joined, but I have read about what you're describing happening more and more.
I've requested an order cancellation already. I guess I'll see where it goes.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Seminal Flu posted:

If you ever want to sell it, I've got a use for one. Just never can seem to find one locally.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Mcqueen posted:

I have one of these in my shop, so rad. Makita still sells them too, but its strange it only has a 15amp motor.

15 amps is the max a typical house circuit can do, so they're probably limited by that. Maybe they'll make a 240v version... that would be a thing to fear.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

CloFan posted:

:confused: I've literally never had a bad experience with amazon customer service. Maybe being a prime member helps? I mean, it's not as good as it was a few years ago, but it's certainly better than most

Have you ever actually tried to find a contact link to talk to someone?

They bury it quite well, and in their latest iteration of the website you basically have to go through the automated process with your order return first before being given an option, way down at the bottom in the fine print. Anything that falls outside of generic option return/replacement is quite difficult.

For instance, they shipped me a wrong model of something, and it was a nightmare to try and get it replaced with the right thing, at the price I bought the original hot air rework station for. Or you buy something and two days later it drops in price 75%, good luck getting them to refund any difference, you'll have to return it paying the shipping, and reorder it at the lower price.

Or you get the other extreme, where their system just doesn't show either you or them an option to return something, so if you can actually talk to someone, they may just refund you the entire thing and tell you to keep it. That's what happened with my 140$ battery UPS backup. I wanted to return it because it was half off somewhere else, but the return option was greyed out for some reason, so they just refunded me and told me to keep it

Amazon is great for a lot of things, but if you fall outside the vanilla automated order return options... Good luck.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

OSU_Matthew posted:

For instance, they shipped me a wrong model of something, and it was a nightmare to try and get it replaced with the right thing, at the price I bought the original hot air rework station for. Or you buy something and two days later it drops in price 75%, good luck getting them to refund any difference, you'll have to return it paying the shipping, and reorder it at the lower price.

the best way to deal with this is to use a service like citi rewind. citi will give you the difference in $ on your cc statement based on the price difference of the lowest price in the 60 days after you buy.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I replaced all the interior door hardware in my house last night with the help of a new Wera Lasertip Phillips, and it lived up to the hype. Worn stripped screws came out like new ones, and it never slipped out of a new screw. I was even able to leave the driver hanging 90 degrees out of a new screw.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

OSU_Matthew posted:

Have you ever actually tried to find a contact link to talk to someone?

Yes, but it doesn't gain you anything over chat. I've been shipped wrong things and chat sorted it right quick. <edited>

wormil fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 19, 2017

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

StormDrain posted:

I replaced all the interior door hardware in my house last night with the help of a new Wera Lasertip Phillips, and it lived up to the hype. Worn stripped screws came out like new ones, and it never slipped out of a new screw. I was even able to leave the driver hanging 90 degrees out of a new screw.

OK, I'm going to be getting a set of those.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

the spyder posted:

If you ever want to sell it, I've got a use for one. Just never can seem to find one locally.

Sorry, I couldn't resist the sweet, sweet profit margin of a quick Craigslist flip for $400. Pretty good ROI. :D

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

the best way to deal with this is to use a service like citi rewind. citi will give you the difference in $ on your cc statement based on the price difference of the lowest price in the 60 days after you buy.

How easy is this in reality? You have to provide proof and submit a refund claim or its somehow automatic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Just upload a screenshot of your purchase from the order page on Amazon. It's not automatic so I don't do it for every purchase