Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Lately I've been playing Marvel Puzzle Quest a lot, but it's a little too cash-grabby for me and so I'm looking for a new game to play casually while watching Netflix or listening to podcasts. In the past, I've used WoW, GW2 and other MMOs for this, but I'm looking specifically for something that is single player and turn based, so it's easy to put down at the drop of a hat and pick back up whenever. I had played Guild of Dungeoneering and Gems of War before that, and it scratched the same itch, but don't confine the recommendations to match 3 or Android games, PC is good too and anything where I can do something, have the AI respond, then I do something, repeat ad infinitum. I liked the team-building aspect of both Marvel Puzzle Quest and Gems of War, and the real thing I'm looking for is a sense of progression (sorry roguelike fans), where I can build and/or level in some way. Ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Azathoth posted:

Lately I've been playing Marvel Puzzle Quest a lot, but it's a little too cash-grabby for me and so I'm looking for a new game to play casually while watching Netflix or listening to podcasts. In the past, I've used WoW, GW2 and other MMOs for this, but I'm looking specifically for something that is single player and turn based, so it's easy to put down at the drop of a hat and pick back up whenever. I had played Guild of Dungeoneering and Gems of War before that, and it scratched the same itch, but don't confine the recommendations to match 3 or Android games, PC is good too and anything where I can do something, have the AI respond, then I do something, repeat ad infinitum. I liked the team-building aspect of both Marvel Puzzle Quest and Gems of War, and the real thing I'm looking for is a sense of progression (sorry roguelike fans), where I can build and/or level in some way. Ideas?

The entire roguelikes genre fits as they're all turn-based and relatively repetitive - down the list.

DoomRL, free, it's Doom. You shoot demons.
Tales of Maj'Eyal, free (buy it on steam for the premium edition, but the base game is fun), it's more Diablo 2-esque in that there's a lot of popcorn monsters you kill easily, it's the bosses that rake you over the coals. I'm particularly fond of playing as a Paradox Mage and messing with time.
Demon, free, SMT the roguelike, control a party of demons.
Dungeonmans, not free, absolutely worth the money. Funny, user-friendly, gets easier the more you play. You're a hero, go crush monsters, etc etc. The dev is a goon and still working on patches here and there, he's cool.
Dungeons of Dredmor old venerable - not free, kinda good, kinda weird. I liked it, but it's slow.
Caves of Qud, not free, basically an open world - be a mutant, shoot lasers from your eyes, explore a post-post-apocalyptic wasteland, get killed by angry bears, get revenge by killing them and wearing their faces.

And so on! They're all turn-based, the music can be turned off, and they can be as deep or as shallow as you like.

(The other podcast game of note from me is Stellaris, as it's relaxing to let your empire run while you listen to podcasts - and you can pause it instantly anytime to stop the podcast and pay attention when you have to make a decision.)

e: "Sense of progression". Right. I misread this. BUT. Dungeonmans is your answer, it's a roguelike with a sense of progression - there's a succession system where you power up your academy the more you play so there's more stuff for every character to get.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 16, 2017

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I'll give dungeonman a try, but it really is about that sense of progression though. When I just want something without progression, I have solitaire and Desert Golfing that I enjoy and have for quite a while. Thanks for the recommendation.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Azathoth posted:

I would appreciate some recommendations for this too. If you can find it, the original Puzzle Quest is pretty good, though more of the same, obviously. Plants vs Zombies, while not turn-based is good.

I have played a lot of roguelikes, many do have progression in the form of unlocks. Only problem is they will punish players for making small mistakes, so listening to podcasts or watching a show is not a good idea until you are very familiar with the game. Desktop Dungeons and Tales of May Eyal both have unlocks and are quite good in their own rights. Darkest Dungeon and Dredmor are paced such that they might work.

For listening to podcasts, I enjoy farting around in Diablo 3 every time a new season starts.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Azathoth posted:

FTL

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
Dues Ex is cheap on GoG right now and comes with the Revision mod. Is it worth getting for PC with this (or another) mod or should I just dig out my PS2 copy if I want those nostalgia feels?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Unbelievably White posted:

Dues Ex is cheap on GoG right now and comes with the Revision mod. Is it worth getting for PC with this (or another) mod or should I just dig out my PS2 copy if I want those nostalgia feels?

Omg PC. Yes PC.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Definitely PC.

I'm happy to play without the various mods but lots of people like them, and it's good to have the option.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I remember modding Deus Ex on PC being really easy too, perhaps because there's like one agreed-upon mod for gameplay improvements and one for better graphics. But play it modded or unmodded, just make sure it's on PC because that game uses a lot of buttons.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also as I recall they had to cut up and modify various parts to even get the game running well on PS2, so that might be an interesting experience going from one to the other.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Unbelievably White posted:

it's worth it but use GMDX instead of Revision (it does similar things but much better imo, Revision needlessly fucks with a lot of stuff because the author thinks he's a better level designer than Ion Storm or something )

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Azathoth posted:

I'll give dungeonman a try, but it really is about that sense of progression though. When I just want something without progression, I have solitaire and Desert Golfing that I enjoy and have for quite a while. Thanks for the recommendation.

Rogue Legacy is the best fit, I'd say. It's tough, but as you progress you'll find your power is significantly increased, but never to the point where you'll be able to just breeze through the game.

It's a really good podcast game too.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

doctorfrog posted:

Hm, if we're gonna dig in that direction, SimCity 3000 has farms also, and they're super delicate in that the very slightest of urbanizations will transform them into industrial smokestack gardens which then transform into abandoned warehouses. Takes some TLC to get them to blossom, either by avoiding the very development SimCity is mostly played for and shooting for farms, farms farms, or by painstakingly marking each square as a historic site (cheating IMO).

Not sure about SC4 since I just haven't had the time to get into it, but with the interdependent townships I think maybe you could have a farm sector feed off a city sector and just be a farm all dang day.

Anyway, these aren't serious suggestions for farming fans.

Hm, you say cheating but in reality farming has a lot of government intervention! :rolleyes:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I just discovered Project Zomboid and I love the poo poo out of it. Whats even more amazing about it is that I can play online with my buddy, while my roommate can hop in split screen and also play with us. Is there anything out there similar to this? I've tried 7 Days to Die but theres something about that game I dislike, I cant describe what exactly. It just feels too jank.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

I'm gonna be stuck using an android tablet for a while, so what are some decent games I can play on it?

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

I've realised that I really enjoy the Dark Souls series' unique approach to multi-player (from the limited communications to the way the multi-player is interwoven with the single-player game). Are there any other games that do something similar? Or any multi-player focused games where conversing with other players directly is at least optional (and abstaining won't be too debilitating)? The only other one I'm aware of is The Endless Forest (where you converse with gestures and symbols), but that game doesn't have any combat.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Journey

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

How could I forget Journey? A beautiful game, but it doesn't have any combat either.

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

Basically, what I'm looking for is a game where I can compete against other players (or co-operate in pursuit of a common goal, preferably one that involves some sort of combat) without having an assortment of slurs and expletives sent my way the entire time. I'm concerned that disabling chat entirely would result in me having a harder time than necessary in games that are designed around the assumption that you'll be using it.

basalt fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 27, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Having played For Honor all week, I can confirm that 90% of players don't talk to each other at all beyond basic emotes like Good Fight!

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

exquisite tea posted:

Having played For Honor all week, I can confirm that 90% of players don't talk to each other at all beyond basic emotes like Good Fight!
That's reassuring! For Honour was actually the game that prompted me to ask this question. I was considering buying it before suddenly remembering that multi-player works very differently in most games that aren't Dark Souls.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Every once in awhile you run into some salty weeb who will bother to type something but at least in 1v1 most players will instead spend their time and effort trying to skullfuck your corpse on the defeat screen.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

basalt posted:

Basically, what I'm looking for is a game where I can compete against other players (or co-operate in pursuit of a common goal, preferably one that involves some sort of combat) without having an assortment of slurs and expletives sent my way the entire time. I'm concerned that disabling chat entirely would result in me having a harder time than necessary in games that are designed around the assumption that you'll be using it.

I don't own a wii, anyone know how Splatoon's doing?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Keeshhound posted:

I don't own a wii, anyone know how Splatoon's doing?

Terribly on the Wii, considering it was never released on it. Pretty much dead on the Wii U. Going to sell like hotcakes on the Switch since it'll be the third actual game on the Switch at the time.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

For some reason I feel like playing an RTS. Something with a fun and varied campaign mode. I've played and enjoyed the Blizzard games in the past, and most of the C&C games. I guess this genre is kind of dead now? Older games are fine too.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Fruits of the sea posted:

For some reason I feel like playing an RTS. Something with a fun and varied campaign mode. I've played and enjoyed the Blizzard games in the past, and most of the C&C games. I guess this genre is kind of dead now? Older games are fine too.

Grey Goo might be up your alley.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Homeworld Deserts of Kharak has been touted as one of the best RTSes in recent memory. I haven't played it, but there you go, something modern.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Dawn of War 3 also just came out a couple days ago. I don't know if it's any good though, haven't played yet.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Backhand posted:

Dawn of War 3 also just came out a couple days ago. I don't know if it's any good though, haven't played yet.

It's loving trash.

I'd say Dawn of War 1 (Dark Crusade) and 2, 2 being more squad tactics and 1 being a standard base builder. Company of Heroes has a great campaign too. Oh, and Starcraft 2 if you haven't played all three of the campaigns.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Thanks for the suggestions. I forgot about the new Homeworld, I'll check it out. Grey goo also looks pretty good, but wow what a terrible name.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It's loving trash.

I'd say Dawn of War 1 (Dark Crusade) and 2, 2 being more squad tactics and 1 being a standard base builder. Company of Heroes has a great campaign too. Oh, and Starcraft 2 if you haven't played all three of the campaigns.

I should go back to CoH some time. I remember having to stop because of a headache from my subwoofer blasting constant artillery fire in the background. Also I played the crap out of Dawn of War, but 2 and 3 are missing the Tau :smith:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Also I played the crap out of Dawn of War, but 2 and 3 are missing the Tau :smith:

You mean they're missing the cowards who refuse to engage in noble melee and instead sit back and shoot?

In all seriousness Grey Goo is a good pick, and it's actually named after the extinction event wherein nanomachines take over the world. If you were a big fan of how Dark Crusade worked by the way, Company of Heroes 2 Ardennes Assault would be right up your alley.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
A lot of people like Dawn of War III (see its dedicated thread). I haven't played enough to form an opinion either way. If you liked C&C, I'd recommend the 8-bit games on Steam. They are basically C&C clones done by the guys who did the original.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Any good mech games on the PC? Been watching Gundam and it makes me want to stomp around in a big, dumb robot.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Apparently Northgard scratches that itch.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Afriscipio posted:

Apparently Northgard scratches that itch.

I wouldn't recommend it in it's current state. Gameplay is very stale and unrewarding. Combat is clunky and not satisfying at all.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

The original Company of Heroes is still the peak of the genre IMO.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Dawn of War games, too (not DOW3 though).

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Azathoth posted:

I've been playing For The King for this. It's kind of a hard game to describe but it's basically the result of Final Fantasy 1 having a baby with a Roguelike. You choose three character classes and set forth into a procedural world, you move each character independently around the world map to solve quests, visit towns and merchants and explore, group up to delve into dungeons and fight things, collect loot to get more powerful, then take down the big bad.

Progression comes in two forms, there's the per-game progression where your characters level up, collect loot and different weapons that do different things, artifacts with unique abilities, etc. This resets after every Game Over or win. Then there's the meta-progression where each game you play you're collecting Lore Scraps, and there's a shop you can visit from the main menu that lets you exchange lore scraps for unlocks: new classes, new weapons and armor to show up in the world, new events, etc.

It has a rather constricting turn limit (limited number of turns available to complete the next quest) that seems to be hit or miss for different people, personally I can't play it with the turn limit and use this mod from the steam forums to remove it.

It's still Early Access so take that as you will, it's perfectly playable start-to-finish and there's already a lot of content that I still haven't unlocked so I wouldn't be disappointed in my $15 purchase even if they released as-is. The only real stand-out issue to me right now is that the classes aren't well balanced, but it's a singleplayer/co-op game so I don't mind that.

It has one of the most pleasing visual styles I've ever seen in a game, too.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 2, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Robo Reagan posted:

Any good mech games on the PC? Been watching Gundam and it makes me want to stomp around in a big, dumb robot.

Whoa whoa whoa. You've got to take a massive step back when it comes to mech games and stomping around. First off, describe the type of mech, then describe your preferred perspective and then you can get a more accurate recommendation.

Dynasty Warriors Gundam games are good, not sure if they're on PC. Gundam Breaker 3 seems to be the best Gundam game.

Mechwarrior has been a long and storied franchise on PC, very much the big stompy mech sim variety. MW2 and MW4 Mercenaries come with the highest recommendations, with runners up being Mechwarrior Online and Mechwarrior Living Legends.

Mechcommander is a spinoff strategy game that is ace. Front Mission is a long running SRPG mech series, highly recommended, Front Mission Evolved is okay at best mech third person shooter.

Strike Suit Zero merges mech with space dogfighter and is pretty good.

But my favourite mech game, Zone of the Enders 2, is a PS2 exclusive but has been HD ported to previous generation consoles. Grab that if you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

I really like Supreme Commander 1&2. You can change the speed of the game between -10 (nearly paused) to very fast (+10). This is the first RTS that really gave me a chance to make decisions for most of my units whenever i wanted without being able to do 10 clicks a second. It has a building queue which is very nice. Sandbox isn't that great because the AI sucks there, but the campaigns were mostly fun.
Also, it has a lot of explosions.

I have a code for Supreme Commander 1 from the GFW DVD Version, no idea if it will activate on steam though, but hit me up if you want to try it: http://steamcommunity.com/id/RabbitWizard