Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

FishBulb posted:

Sure but the real flaw is they didn't stop after the cover based shooter was perfected in 2009

Yeah, Killzone 2 was pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Will someone validate my impulse purchase of a Samsung KU7000 TV? It was on sale for 1099 bucks. The KS8000 can display a hojillion more colors or something, and preserve 96% of the DCP-3 or whatever vs. the KU7000 less than 90%, but if I'm going to be realistic my dumb human eyes couldn't hope to tell the difference.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
It's probably great. There, you're validated.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

bloodychill posted:

It's probably great. There, you're validated.

Thanks, friend :)

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
No matter what you do, we will love and support every decision you make.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

FauxLeather posted:

No matter what you do, we will love and support every decision you make.

I supports HDR! That's what is important I guess, what with the way vidya games are going. I buy a TV every 20 years anyway so w/e.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
I'm sorry, I barely even know who HDR is.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

FauxLeather posted:

I'm sorry, I barely even know who HDR is.
It's the TV buzzword of this six month period of time.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

RatHat posted:

Any try that new Wonder Boy remake yet?

So I'm hearing now it's just a very nice looking reskin of the original. In that the gameplay is to the pixel identical.

If that's true I think I'll wait for this Monster Boy game or until it's on sale for very little.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's the TV buzzword of this six month period of time.

This one actually does something that people are making content to support. So its a good one to have.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bombadilillo posted:

This one actually does something that people are making content to support. So its a good one to have.
I don't doubt it but I expect some other buzzword, probably another three or four letter abbreviation, to appear later this year.

I don't think I will buy another TV until LEDs or some fundamental other TV technology becomes mainstream. This whole white light + color gates thing is just passé.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 19, 2017

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Pocket Billiards posted:

So I'm hearing now it's just a very nice looking reskin of the original. In that the gameplay is to the pixel identical.

If that's true I think I'll wait for this Monster Boy game or until it's on sale for very little.

http://www.retronauts.com/?p=2255

Definitely true but they did reverse engineer the entire thing, and the original was real good anyway.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Manatee Cannon posted:

there aren't any narrative choices in uncharted, romantic or otherwise

4 gave you three dialogue choices that didn't do anything

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

kirbysuperstar posted:

http://www.retronauts.com/?p=2255

Definitely true but they did reverse engineer the entire thing, and the original was real good anyway.

This looks so good! I'll definitely pick this up, and hope that one day they'll give Monster World IV similar treatment.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

FauxLeather posted:

This looks so good! I'll definitely pick this up, and hope that one day they'll give Monster World IV similar treatment.

Yeah, I'd love for the same care to be given to MW3/4 , though I guess they needed it less than Dragon's Trap.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
PlayStation Vue seems pretty ok. Scooped up the 5 day free trial so I can catch a couple NBA games and I was pretty satisfied with the quality and sound.

30$ for the cheapest package is kinda sucky though but hey 45 channels

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I mean it's not like Indiana Jones doesn't have his enemy one step ahead of him or waiting for him outside the tomb all the time. It's just sort of a staple of the genre. You're not gonna have much action if the hero is always avoiding the enemy

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It wasn't really a major complaint. I love uncharted but it does sort of kill the magic when that always seems to happen like clockwork.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Bombadilillo posted:

Yeah

That's a trope lots fall into. See Horizon Zero Dawn in the facility under the collosium fall into the same exact thing. Guess they never checked where these giant vents went.

I guess Indiana Jones needs Nazi's to punch waves of random to shoot. But that led to a lot of game journalists' hilariously unironic epiphany that "Drake is a mass murderer!!!" so its a net win in my book.

Which ND responded to by creating Joel in tlou, so 'game-philosopher' babbies now actually owe the Uncharted series some major props.

FishBulb posted:

Sure but the real flaw is they didn't stop after the cover based shooter was perfected in 2009

UC3 is like a good kolsch, finishes cleaner than UC2's stinky IPA or UC4's bland weizenbier. Would you like to know more?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

4 gave you three dialogue choices that didn't do anything

The worst part of 4 is that they shoehorned in design/thematic concepts from tlou that do not fit AT ALL. I'd almost rather replay UC1.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I don't expect much of Uncharted and it never disappoints me. It's about what I'd want from a franchise that's basically Indiana Jones if Indy were a high school dropout, though it has a lot more shooting and a little more monkeying around than I really want.

That said I could never hate a game where I can tumble to my death and hear Sully three-quarter-assing at emoting while he shouts "oh noooo" as the little death fanfare plays. Hell, at one point in the second one I was running along, decided I've lived too long and threw myself off a building, and as he went somersaulting into oblivion Nate shouted, "This way!" I haven't really thought about it before but the Uncharted series is probably my favorite thing I've played in the few months since I got a PS4 due to moments like that.

On a related note, it seems like every game I've played on this thing has had pretty disappointing gameplay with a story that's carried me through instead. So far I've beaten FFXV, The Last of Us, some Uncharteds, and Horizon Zero Dawn and in each of them I've been much more motivated to rush through it to advance the plot (or in XV's case get it over with) than I have been to slow down and play the game itself. What gives? Is this sort of thing normal for modern (like, post-PS2) console games, or has it always been this way and I just don't remember it that way?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Meldonox posted:

I don't expect much of Uncharted and it never disappoints me. It's about what I'd want from a franchise that's basically Indiana Jones if Indy were a high school dropout, though it has a lot more shooting and a little more monkeying around than I really want.

That said I could never hate a game where I can tumble to my death and hear Sully three-quarter-assing at emoting while he shouts "oh noooo" as the little death fanfare plays. Hell, at one point in the second one I was running along, decided I've lived too long and threw myself off a building, and as he went somersaulting into oblivion Nate shouted, "This way!" I haven't really thought about it before but the Uncharted series is probably my favorite thing I've played in the few months since I got a PS4 due to moments like that.

On a related note, it seems like every game I've played on this thing has had pretty disappointing gameplay with a story that's carried me through instead. So far I've beaten FFXV, The Last of Us, some Uncharteds, and Horizon Zero Dawn and in each of them I've been much more motivated to rush through it to advance the plot (or in XV's case get it over with) than I have been to slow down and play the game itself. What gives? Is this sort of thing normal for modern (like, post-PS2) console games, or has it always been this way and I just don't remember it that way?

Maybe you don't like 3rd person games.

Have you played Bloodborne? Report back on whether it's too anime for you.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I can already report in on that. I've tried my best to get into the Soulsborne games and I've hated them all with a passion. I don't even know why. They play similarly enough to Monster Hunter, and I've clocked a few hundred hours on each one of those I've picked up, I figured I'd be way into them. Maybe I'm through the looking glass and they're not anime enough.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
not everyone has to like every game :kiddo:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Meldonox posted:

I can already report in on that. I've tried my best to get into the Soulsborne games and I've hated them all with a passion. I don't even know why. They play similarly enough to Monster Hunter, and I've clocked a few hundred hours on each one of those I've picked up, I figured I'd be way into them. Maybe I'm through the looking glass and they're not anime enough.

Please call them Bloodsouls games.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Which ND responded to by creating Joel in tlou, so 'game-philosopher' babbies now actually owe the Uncharted series some major props.

UC3 is like a good kolsch, finishes cleaner than UC2's stinky IPA or UC4's bland weizenbier. Would you like to know more?

The worst part of 4 is that they shoehorned in design/thematic concepts from tlou that do not fit AT ALL. I'd almost rather replay UC1.

An Uncharted game where the enemies beg for their lives and die broken and bleeding as Drake crushes their skulls with concrete blocks like they do in TLOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

An Uncharted game where the enemies beg for their lives and die broken and bleeding as Drake crushes their skulls with concrete blocks like they do in TLOU

:yeah:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Critics who go on about that ludonarrative dissonance poo poo are usually the same ones who complain the story doesn't give them enough reason to care about the plight of the characters.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Renoistic posted:

How are the environments in Cosmic Star Heroine? Are they varied or do they overstay their welcome? And does the game hold up all the way through?

I'm only six hours in but so far environmental variety is pretty solid. There's only been two primary environments so far (a city and a jungle) but the game's good about having a lot of cool and varied set pieces within those environments. E.g. spooky abandoned factory, ascending an apartment to fight a mech piece by piece, underwater laboratory, night club, among others.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

When a noobie quits in frustration...a bloodsoul gets its wings

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Jimbot posted:

Critics who go on about that ludonarrative dissonance poo poo are usually the same ones who complain the story doesn't give them enough reason to care about the plight of the characters.

It's also a valid complaint yeah?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The more dissonance the better, IMO.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

Please tell us why :allears:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The new Wonderboygirl game is pretty fun

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Bombadilillo posted:

Yeah

That's a trope lots fall into. See Horizon Zero Dawn in the facility under the collosium fall into the same exact thing. Guess they never checked where these giant vents went.

I guess Indiana Jones needs Nazi's to punch waves of random to shoot. But that led to a lot of game journalists' hilariously unironic epiphany that "Drake is a mass murderer!!!" so its a net win in my book.

Why bother spoiler tagging something if you don't put what you're spoiling first?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Please tell us why :allears:

Because a game with a boring story and bad combat should have something.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

Because a game with a boring story and bad combat should have something.

Interesting thesis. Allow me to consult my peers.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Interesting thesis. Allow me to consult my peers.

Well tell what the other cashiers say.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nah. Unless you're a psychopath and need context to logically calculate what the normal human response to things like struggle, love and loss. You can opt not to be invested in it, sure, but "ludonarrative dissonance" is just someone trying to be clever without understanding the genre the game draws on for inspirations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Jimbot posted:

Nah. Unless you're a psychopath and need context to logically calculate what the normal human response to things like struggle, love and loss. You can opt not to be invested in it, sure, but "ludonarrative dissonance" is just someone trying to be clever without understanding the genre the game draws on for inspirations.

What is this pseudo intellectual garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Jimbot posted:

The first people who used the term were game designers who were trying to think about how gameplay and story intersect, so