Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Terry Pratchett has also been accused of making his dwarfs jewish but in a twist ending it's actually the jews themselves who are making that connection because they loving love how the dwarfs are portrayed:

Pratchett posted:

I've got a very keen fan from Manchester, England -- Mrs. Mayer. She's an orthodox Jew, as orthodox as you can possible be. And she swears that my dwarfs are Jewish -- because of the way they act and their huge body of lore, and how they all move away from their homeland but they say one day they'll go back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Well, I have black friends and they say

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Death of the author tho!?!

I often find myself asking, What Would China Write.

And it's usually some kind of Wolverine storyline/screed against the existential ubermensch that Wolverine usually gets portrayed as. Or something. Dial H kind of rules.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
More to the point, When Will China Write?

Not to get all GRRM thread on him. But come on. No new full length novel since 2012...

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Benson Cunningham posted:

Bas Lag (read in order)
Perdido Street Station
The Scar
Iron Council

Stand Alones
Embassytown
Kraken
The City & The City

Novellas
The Last Days in New Paris
Census Taker

Short Stories
Three Moments of an Explosion

Not worth reading
King Rat
Un Lun Dun
Railsea (If you like YA, this is OK)
Looking For Jake

Books I never heard about before checking today
The Tain

I liked King Rat!

I mean, it's his first novel, and it shows, but it really nails its setting and era.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Benson Cunningham posted:

I accept that the popular opinion is against Kraken, but I'm a huge fan. It just works for me.

I thought Kraken was fantastic, and I've given a few copies to people who've loved it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Kraken is bottom-tier Mieville but Mieville slumming it is comparable to most "Magic London" stories / authors at their best, and I don't think popular opinion is particularly against it.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Hey, if people like Kraken, I'm all for it. That was just the perception I had from a combo of forums, blogs, and irl friends. Wouldn't mind being wrong,

In real life, my friends who read Mieville all think TC&TC is his best thing ever. I double down between Embassytown and The Scar. To be honest, I thought TC&TC kind of fell apart towards the end. The concept and first half were really engaging for me though. It seems like it would make a great setting for an RPG (which I do not mean to imply in a negative way).

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I really didn't like TC&TC at all but I seem to be the only person in the world with that opinion so I think I definitely njeed to give it a re-read

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I love TC&TC, need to re-read it.

Out of all of his work it is probably the hardest to make into a tv show/movie, so I really want to see someone try.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Spuckuk posted:

I thought Kraken was fantastic, and I've given a few copies to people who've loved it.

:hfive: Kraken is great, if only for the magic ipod who mainly plays bad renditions of No Scrubs.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Kraken is great on the first read, very good on the first couple of rereads, then you realize it's poo poo when you revisit it years later.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I really didn't like TC&TC at all but I seem to be the only person in the world with that opinion so I think I definitely njeed to give it a re-read

I've only read the three bas-lag books, TC&TC, and embassytown and TC&TC is by far my least favorite of them. Embassytown and the scar were the best

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Embassytown is fantastic because it's a beautifully written book of speculative fiction about language rather than the sciences. It's both a very rare breed and an excellent example of its type.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Kraken sucks, the comedy fails and the dialog is an embarrassment. The only good thing is the villain.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Embassytown is fantastic because it's a beautifully written book of speculative fiction about language rather than the sciences. It's both a very rare breed and an excellent example of its type.
it's absolutely his best book

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

With the success of Arrival, we can only hope to see the Embassytown movie next.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I got into mieville after a couple of stem nerd friends got assigned it in a lit class and sold me on it by really poorly complaining about how they couldn't understand it.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

rumble in the bunghole posted:

I got into mieville after a couple of stem nerd friends got assigned it in a lit class and sold me on it by really poorly complaining about how they couldn't understand it.

Ahahaha, the best recommendation. TC&TC? Or Embassytown?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Alhazred posted:

:hfive: Kraken is great, if only for the magic ipod who mainly plays bad renditions of No Scrubs.

And weaponised origami.

It's not his strongest book, but it's profoundly fun. I need to give City and the City another go,it didn't really grab me.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

rumble in the bunghole posted:

I got PSS gifted to me from a friend who was leaving the country forever, god bless that wonderful mad bitch.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

SaviourX posted:

Un Lun Dun, he said STEM nerds.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Oh, are we sharing our origin stories? I ran across a copy of Perdido many years ago, and thought "wow, who is this, I thought I knew all the lady SFF novelists, who is she?" Read the back cover, went "this looks dope af", flipped to the author page and said "oh. Oh."

It was, actually, dope af, and I've been a fan ever since. That face certainly helped with the initial nudge tho.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I would like to announce a change of position. I no longer consider Scar to be the best Bas-Lag novel. After careful deliberation I have switched over to Iron Council.

Embassytown is still the best Mieville overall and one of the finest recent sci-fi novels. That is all, thank you for reading.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Care to elaborate? I always considered IC the weakest of the three.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

SaviourX posted:

TC/TC. One of the two is bougie as hell so that's probably why he got stuck on it.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

anilEhilated posted:

Tearoom trade makes any book better.

*taps foot seductively*

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

It kind of grew on me. I realized I actually liked all the pronounced political stuff, especially the themes of imperialism and the subjugation of the natives. Especially when the natives are as mysterious and strange as the Stiltspear.
Another thing that really works for me is the entire western style vibe surrounding the Council itself.
Mieville's writing also feels more mature than in PSS. The whole underground political scene of New Crobuzon is also very interesting to me.
And finally, it has the best ending of the three books.
I still think Scar has very strong elements, but is failed by some of the over exaggerated characters such as Uther Doul and the Lovers and, ultimately, sunk (lol) by its weak ending.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

It kind of grew on me. I realized I actually liked all the pronounced political stuff, especially the themes of imperialism and the subjugation of the natives. Especially when the natives are as mysterious and strange as the Stiltspear.
Another thing that really works for me is the entire western style vibe surrounding the Council itself.
Mieville's writing also feels more mature than in PSS. The whole underground political scene of New Crobuzon is also very interesting to me.
And finally, it has the best ending of the three books.
I still think Scar has very strong elements, but is failed by some of the over exaggerated characters such as Uther Doul and the Lovers and, ultimately, sunk (lol) by its weak ending.

Colonialism sucks, full communism now.

I wonder how communism plays out in the Craft setting.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Magical hyper-Capitalist skeletons eat your souls.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

TC&TC coming to BBC as mini-series!

http://www.tor.com/2017/04/17/china-mieville-the-city-the-city-television-adaptation/

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

:awesome:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I have literally no idea how you would try to represent any of that visually, but I'll be very cautiously optimistic, I guess?

Kind of surprised that of all his work that was the one to get a TV adaptation ; it seems like they're picking the most difficult of any of them.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I'd go for a long, scrolling wall of text at the start of the 1st episode, setting out the premise. Then for the rest of the series, you just have half the actors pretend they can't see the other half. Easy!

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Xiahou Dun posted:

Kind of surprised that of all his work that was the one to get a TV adaptation ; it seems like they're picking the most difficult of any of them.

It is pretty much the only work of his you can adapt without a huge budget, so it makes perfect sense in that way.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Oh wow that's incredibly exciting!

I always imagined if they adapted it they'd play with focus a lot. Not conspicuously blurring out the other city, but just shooting it so that only certain stuff is in focus.

However they do it, they can't just have the actors pretending. The viewers need to experience the world like a local does, and fully get used to it, so that the eventual breaches manage to be really shocking. If they go all out with the premise it could look really cool and the visuals could add a lot to the story.

If they gently caress it up it could be really terrible.

But no sense dwelling on that, China Mieville is getting an adaptation! That's awesome!

Thinking about it, I'm actually most excited to see how they portray Ul Qoma. More totalitarian, but more prosperous, Soviet backed, was it explicitly Muslim? It's been a while since I read the book, but it gave my that vibe at least. That's a city I want to see. Especially in contrast with run down but Western oriented Beszel. I'll probably enjoy it even if they skimp out on it, but really characterizing those two cities is possibly the most important thing to make a good adaptation (maybe after finding a way to present un-seeing in an immersive way).

Eiba fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Apr 19, 2017

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Didn't some Chicago theatre do a TC&TC adaptation a while back? Really wish I'd gotten to see it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Didn't some Chicago theatre do a TC&TC adaptation a while back? Really wish I'd gotten to see it.

Yeah, and another Chicago theatre recently did a production of Diamond Dogs by Alastair Reynolds which looked amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73j1qdiE3GU

Wish I could have seen both of them :\

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

I think TC&TC is going to be the easiest of his popular novels to convert to screen, other than maybe Kraken (which could get the Swift and Norell treatment).

I can't wait to see some of the crowd shots of the two groups of people intermingling but not acknowledging each other. Or going through an embassy checkpoint and flipping the center of focus of a place we just walked through. There are so many delightful opportunities to see something fresh with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I cannot wait for this show. Now, a full movie of The Scar, that would be something special....

Anyway, my wife refuses to read Mieville's stuff because it reminds her too much of her psych patients. For instance, I was explaining TC&TC's unseeing to her, and apparently it's veeeeery similar to certain coping strategies taught to people suffering from shizophrenia. Certainly adds a new dimension to Mieville's work...