Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Gantolandon posted:

It would be great if there was a way to safely rest your soldiers without having to watch the world map line a hawk. Currently even camping at the outskirts of a town inevitably means some rear end in a top hat bandits or wolves beelining to tear your troops a new rear end in a top hat. You literally have to hold your finger on the Space, as the game doesn't pause when a new group of enemies appears and camping makes time go twice as fast.

When modding gets going for this, one of the best mods will be "auto pause on enemy discovery while camping".

Hedge knight chat, I picked one up and the dude came with almost 70 in both melee and HP to start off with, with huge melee def. That fact that he had stars in Melee atk, HP and fatigue were a bonus at that point, with base stats like those they'll always be useful.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Do nets use ranged skill or do they auto hit?

Never had one miss and i've use a lot of nets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I finally got this game working properly again. When I was trying to come up with a name for my new company, inspiration hit me:

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Gantolandon posted:

It would be great if there was a way to safely rest your soldiers without having to watch the world map line a hawk. Currently even camping at the outskirts of a town inevitably means some rear end in a top hat bandits or wolves beelining to tear your troops a new rear end in a top hat. You literally have to hold your finger on the Space, as the game doesn't pause when a new group of enemies appears and camping makes time go twice as fast.

I usually walk around instead of camping. My stuff still repairs and my guys heal up within a reasonable amount of time.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

It was me, thanks!

That screenshot confused me at first though because I thought you were fish people and your team was somehow on the right for some reason

He who fights with fish should be careful lest he thereby become a fish.

But yeah, a LOT of my gear has been scavenged from that noble house at this point. The color coordination is a nice bonus.

E: On Hedge Knights: they're definitely top tier when it comes to heavy melee builds, since they excel in terms of fatigue, melee defense and melee skill. Sellswords are great too, especially if you can get their fatigue up.

dhamster fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 18, 2017

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Liu posted:

I wish they had more detail on how line of sight blocking for ranged attacks work. There is a loading screen tooltip that says if you fire into a bunch of stuff you're bound to hit something, and when I've fired a 5% chance to hit an enemy, who is being blocked by another enemy, I do hit one of them more often than the bad odds would suggest.

Don't take this as gospel or nothin, but I'm pretty sure that whatever percentage of the hit chance is deducted from your blocked target is just transferred to the blocker. So say you have like a 70% chance to hit a dude, but now suddenly someone steps in front and blocks you. Let's say that drops your odds of hitting your target from 70% to 40%, well I'm pretty sure the dude in front now has a 30% chance of getting hit, with another 30% chance of the arrow hitting the grass somewhere.

Basically the only times I ever worry about blocking is if it's terrain that's doing it, or if it's some rear end in a top hat with his shield up. Or if it's one of my guys, obviously.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
One neat trick I just realized: if you have the rotation perk, you can put down a doggy and rotate with it in the same turn. It's like footwork, but you block people from following you at the same time.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
I was exploring the countryside a bit, until I found some tracks. Always in the mood to murder some folk, I followed them.

Ventured out a bit far, still following the tracks..

:ohdear: It's probably best to avoid this for now I'd imagine :v:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Walh Hara posted:

One neat trick I just realized: if you have the rotation perk, you can put down a doggy and rotate with it in the same turn. It's like footwork, but you block people from following you at the same time.

That's a pretty good trick. I expect it would end up costing quite a bit more fatigue, but the dog should tie down pretty much any opponent for at least one turn.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Walh Hara posted:

One of the best invisible strategies in the game is Always Buy Armored Doggies.

250g is well worthwhile even given that they are expended upon death.

Would I rather have one reinforced mail hauberk, or ten doggies? I think I might go with the doggies.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

But their dying whimper :(

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Jay Rust posted:

yep, this alone makes me want the hauberk

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Quick question but what sort of level of fame do you need to be at in order to get the "best" retirement.

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Walh Hara posted:

That is quite cool. One of the big pushes for me to pick up the rotation peak was to prevent getting blocked by my own dogs. I may have an unfortunate habit of releasing all more dogs than situationally required

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Josef bugman posted:

Quick question but what sort of level of fame do you need to be at in order to get the "best" retirement.

I know I tried retiring every time I quit out of the game while my Crisis was going on, and it was the "broke apart" ending, and then when the crisis ended it became "endures." The best is supposed to be about leaving a "legendary" company so I guess you need legendary rep (I forget what numerical value that is), or beat more than one crisis.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 18, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

marshmallow creep posted:

I know I tried retiring every time I quit out of the game while my Crisis was going on, and it was the "broke apart" ending, and then when the crisis ended it became "endures." The best is supposed to be about leaving a "legendary" company so I guess you need legendary rep (I forget what numerical value that is), or beat more than one crisis.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Jay Rust posted:

I used to feel really bad about the dogs dying, but then I saw an Orc Berserker jump at one and behead him in one strike. I didn't know there was a decapitation animation for dogs until that point. Seeing that happen was so over the top I just had to laugh.

Now I'm cured of my sentimentalities and buy war dogs by the litter.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Wizard Styles posted:

I used to feel really bad about the dogs dying, but then I saw an Orc Berserker jump at one and behead him in one strike. I didn't know there was a decapitation animation for dogs until that point. Seeing that happen was so over the top I just had to laugh.

Now I'm cured of my sentimentalities and buy war dogs by the litter.

Speaking of litters, I'm a big fan of the contract intro that has an excited Bro and a small boy speaking to you at the same time. The boy says someone important has business for you, the Bro says he found a litter of puppies and could we keep one.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Does anyone feel like the game is significantly harder for a mission or two when loading up a saved game? Is this a secret anti-save scum feature the devs built in?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Economics and trading section of the guide is up

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=902880552

Next section I'll work on will probably be formations and basic tactics (high ground, swampy water, surrounding & not being surrounded, forming a shieldwall, keeping your archers behind the shieldwall, etc.)

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

How do you see what your reputation is it at? I've a goal for glorious ATM, waiting for the greenskin invasion

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Daktari posted:

How do you see what your reputation is it at? I've a goal for glorious ATM, waiting for the greenskin invasion

on the handshake screen where it shows your rep, you can hover over the rep bar and it will give you a number.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

I had the two hedge knights fight each other event the other day and my results were fantastic. One lost an ear and the other had a 3-5 day arm injury but everybody in the entire company including them were loving ecstatic that they got to fight. Can they really kill each other in that event?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
One person can die, the event describes his head being pounded into fine paste by the other's boot, who then proceeds to sit down, unperturbed by the bits of brain and other extremities dripping from his foot and finish his meal.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Since the differences between backgrounds and which of them are worth it etc. came up repeatedly over the last couple pages, here's some stuff I've been working on:
I spent some time over the last weeks giving myself shitloads of money in Cheat Engine and picking up all available recruits on a bunch of maps to write down their stats. After that I kinda just kept doing it for all bros I'd hire.
Now I have the attribute, talent and trait data for 821 bros. (And absolutely no inclination to add a single more, I've got screenshots of probably around 50 additional bros but I feel thoroughly done with this poo poo by now. :shepicide:)
What I did this for was, at first, curiosity about how good a few backgrounds I was interested in are in particular. But now all backgrounds are represented at least 10 times, so the data can actually tell us something about all of them.

Below's what I've done with the attribute data so far.

What this plot shows:
The backgrounds are sorted by daily salary, highest at the top. The bars on the right show the exact salary.
The heat map/colored table shows how, for each background, the stats deviate from the average. For instance, Swordmasters have over 20 more Melee Skill than other backgrounds on average, but Beggar-level HP and the worst Fatigue in the game.
For those that care, I calculated the specific values as follows: For each background, I took the median values (so the most average values) of all stats. Then I calculated the median value of all these medians across backgrounds for each stat. The values in the heat map are the median attribute values of each background minus that median of all medians, rounded to .5.
If that's too much stats terminology already, essentially this was just a robust way of getting the average values of all attributes that corrects for differences in background rarity and extreme outliers among the backgrounds.

A few notes about this:
First, what this doesn't show is the range within backgrounds. For example, the Melee Defense of Bastards is highly variant. There are some with negative values and some on the level of Raiders.
Second, this obviously doesn't account for events or other bonuses or penalties a background may have. Ratcatchers may be among the best low cost backgrounds attribute-wise but they'll occasionally poison your entire company, for instance. On the other hand, Houndmasters already look good for their price and have good events and a special ability on top of it.
Third, while the way of calculating the values I use corrects for background rarity and backgrounds with extreme bonuses/penalties like Cripples and Swordmasters skewing the data, it can't correct for the fact that there are a lot of cheap but few elite backgrounds.
Fourth, since this is entirely a relative approach, the different attributes are effectively on different scales. For example, look at the Ranged and Melee Skill bonuses of Sellswords. I'm pretty sure that they are the same in the sense that the same value gets added to the attributes' respective base values. The wiki says it's +10 to both and in this case I believe it. However, there are so few ranged backgrounds while quite a few get a bonus to Melee Skill that the values you end up with when comparing backgrounds like I did are a little different.

So here's the same plot but with the straight median values the backgrounds have printed in the cells. That may be more useful if you're looking for backgrounds producing specific values, since it'll show you just what you'll get on average.

Anyway, since this doesn't show the range of the different backgrounds, I made box plots. (Explanation of how to read those here: http://www.wellbeingatschool.org.nz/information-sheet/understanding-and-interpreting-box-plots)
Here are the ones for Adventurous Nobles:

What exactly does this show?

Well, if you take the one for Hitpoints, for instance:
1. The scale is limited by the range of this attribute in the entire data. In this case the lowest recorded HP value is an extremely unlucky Cripple with 30 HP, while the highest is a Hedge Knight with 73.
2. The black horizontal line at around 55 is again an average value corrected for background rarity as described above.
3. Looking at the position of the box plot now, it seems that Adventurous Nobles have fairly average HP values. They're often slightly below average but you can get lucky and find one with 60. They range from 50 to 60 and there's no huge apparent bias towards one of the extremes. It's possible that they skew a little lower, it's also possible that this apparent trend doesn't exist at all and I had some bad luck with the HP values of the 14 I hired. (Since things like this are highly dependant on the amount of data you have I mention how many bros of each background I've seen in the plot titles.)

Other stats seem to be distributed differently. Resolve is probably the most notable here since it's what you ultimately hire those bros for, and the box plot can tell you that, while you'll probably get a value in the 50s if you hire an Adventurous Noble, you can just have poo poo luck and get one that's only slightly better than average, making him essentially an overpriced militia that likes to get shot a lot.
Side note: You'll see some gray lines in the box plots for the attack and defense stats. That's because, in those cases, I put both Skill and Defense attributes on the same scale, so the limits of the Ranged Skill shows the minima and maxima of both Ranged and Melee Skill, for instance. The gray lines tell you exactly what range the individual stat in question has (i.e. Ranged is generally lower than Melee Skill and apparently never above 60 for level 1 bros).

Anyway, different backgrounds seem to show different amounts and patterns of variance. Some examples:

So, Miners are all the same. Bastards, as mentioned, are kind of a gamble in terms of Melee Defense (and to a certain extent Skill). Cripples are all bad, but winning the RNG lottery is a thing for them (and so is losing it). And Thieves are similar to each other in many ways but show quite a lot of variance where their HP and defenses are concerned. Considering their defenses are their one real selling point, that means they, too, are at the mercy of the RNG lottery.

Here's a link to an Imgur album containing the heat maps and box plots for all backgrounds:
http://imgur.com/a/vuRqD

If anyone wants to use the data for something, it's a tab-delimited text file:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mYXAfOx80HgoOrsTvEqLFYBv2NZJWScbEqGuvD2C9NE/pub
The columns are:
Background
HP_V - Hitpoint value
HP_S - Hitpoint talent stars
Fat_V - Fatigue value
Fat_S - Fatigue talent stars
And so on. Res is resolve, In is Initiative, MS Melee Skill, RS Ranged Skill, MD and RD Melee and Ranged Defense.
The last two columns, Trt1 and Trt2, list the traits. NA if there is no trait to report.

Lastly, this is still a work in progress. I only put it up here because the topic came up several times and I'm absolutely loving done with writing down stats.
I'm not sure the talent and trait data is going to reveal much of anything, although I think there's something going on with traits at least. I wouldn't put it past this game to make Flagellants and Nobles twice as likely as other backgrounds to be bleeders or something like that. So I'll take a look at it eventually.
I'll also see if I can set up a Google docs thing so people can add data. As far as I know at least two people on Reddit have done something similar but didn't record traits and talents.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

You're doing the Lord's work, my son.

Gammymajams
Jan 30, 2016

Wizard Styles posted:

Since the differences between backgrounds and which of them are worth it etc. came up repeatedly over the last couple pages, here's some stuff I've been working on:

You absolute maniac. Looks really useful though thanks. Depending on the format you kept the data in, you may want to get in touch with the guy who made this thread on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BattleBrothers/comments/65264v/background_stats_spreadsheet/. He's doing something similar but has less data and would probably appreciate it if you could dump the source data for him to look through.

Edit: I didn't read your post thoroughly, you discuss the format already.

Gammymajams fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Apr 19, 2017

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Wonderful

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I.... I think I need to lie down.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Now do talent stars as well as level-up stat progressions, since it seems like that poo poo matters.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

This is what my map looks like after the noble war. After awhile I stopped getting war contracts so I started going around picking fights with noble companies to end the war. The other houses kept trying to recapture the border towns, so I kept going back and forth to fight their guys and interrupt the sieges. Much better than the first time I tried this crisis, where my employer's house was sandwiched between both rivals and bled towns like crazy. Might take a bit of a break from the game now, since it's all downhill from here...

dhamster fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 19, 2017

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I just recruited a caravan hand with near perfect stats, athletic, the +10 fatigue trait as well, AND three stars in melee, two in ranged, and one in melee defense.

I'm going to bury him in armor but he's so going to die.

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Taerkar posted:

I just recruited a caravan hand with near perfect stats, athletic, the +10 fatigue trait as well, AND three stars in melee, two in ranged, and one in melee defense.

I'm going to bury him in armor but he's so going to die.

Oh he's definitely joining the happy club, it's just a matter of exactly how

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Nobles from the house I'm working for asked me to go destroy an orc camp. Scary thought, but I've only seen Orc Young up to this point, which are doable if a bit dangerous.

Turns out I got to meet adult orcs for the first time. Try my usual "pepper with arrows to thin out the herd" thing, only to have arrows that hit do barely noticeable damage. When they got in my face my melee weapons were of a similar result, except for the single greatsword I purchased.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Just to reflect a bit on the Noble War: the encounters are a lot of fun, and more varied than in the undead crisis. The enemies had a bit of a gear advantage at first, but that made the fights really rewarding. I like how specialized their units are.

Footmen have great defense and sometimes good armor as well, but often aren't good at much besides standing in the way.

Billmen are probably their best damage dealers, but they go down quickly in melee. Noble AI isn't as disciplined as the undead, so sometimes they will walk a billman out onto the frontline without support.

Arbalests are very dangerous to a lightly armored brother, but can't take more than an arrow or two in return.

Captains are pretty dangerous attackers and hard to pin down, but they can be downed with a lucky shot to the head.

Knights are possibly one of the strongest single units in the game, but they tire quickly and can be stalled and surrounded late in the fight.

It's interesting how the crisis shapes the world as well: the controlling house in a town really starts to matter, as a large portion of the world become enemy territory, prohibiting you from wanderinf around freely like before.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Economics and trading section of the guide is up

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=902880552

Next section I'll work on will probably be formations and basic tactics (high ground, swampy water, surrounding & not being surrounded, forming a shieldwall, keeping your archers behind the shieldwall, etc.)

I went from ~1-2 hours of playtime and quitting to over 10 hours now and loving this game thanks to your guide, just wanted you to know I really appreciate it. My first game I was REALLY struggling 23 days in with 4 guys I could barely keep alive.

I just read your updated section on trading, three questions.

How often should I try and bargain for more money from quests? I was doing it until they pushed back, I guess its not worth the small amount of extra gold in exchange for less standing?

As far as the goods I can trade, do you pick up the say salt every time you find it for around the same value as its worth, hold on to it and assume you can sell it later for a 10-20% increase?

Twice now I've ran into random kids on the path looking for a fight or an old man familiarly rubbing rocks with a a fancy ring, should I take the goods every time from them?

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Usually you can't go wrong buying trade goods near their listed value. Big cities pay a premium, and it only gets better if your reputation is good.

I used to haggle once every time I took a quest until I learned it hurt your rep. Usually there isn't much to gain from haggling, but it can help to ask for payment in advance if you are cash poor.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I've stopped bargaining once I realized there was a faction hit, but mostly because I try to focus quests to raise faction in one area. I think it may be worthwhile when you're out of your home faction area.

I buy trade goods every time I see them and they aren't crazy overpriced due to an event. I should try to figure out exactly what the cost markup is for towns. Basically though once you've got Allied faction and a large Ambushed city to sell off in, you'll almost always make cash and the limiting factor is trade good supplies.

Trade good type matters a bit though. It's harder to make money on Peat because the margins are smaller, so you have less wiggle room.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 19, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the amount of standing loss is so small it collectively took the denizens here thousands of hours of play time to find an edge case where it was used. by far the larger issue in my mind is the small yet real chance that the client will not give you polite pushback before walking away. negotiations frequently turn into an extra 20-50 crowns, which is not especially noticeable when compared to losing multiple hundreds plus probable leads on an XP-generating fight because your client turned out to have a temper.

that said, the potential upside to patrol quests if you know where to look for heads means that it can make a lot of sense to renegotiate those based on performance. beyond that, though, i rarely negotiate and have not seen much practical difference in game.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I've been using exploration sites to ensure I get all of my heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

KyloWinter posted:

Now do talent stars as well as level-up stat progressions, since it seems like that poo poo matters.
I don't think there's much going on in terms of interactions between backgrounds and talents, so I'll do it after everything else, if ever.
Feel free do do it yourself, of course. :v:

There's some simple but interesting analysis to be done, though, which is to check the distribution of talents across all bros. So that's what I did.

Left shows the distribution of total talent points (so how many bros have a total of 3, 4, 5 etc. stars). Right shows how the individual talents are distributed (how many are 1, 2and 3 star talents).

This seems pretty straightforward: bros are far more likely to have 1 star than 2 for a given talent, and having a talent of 3 for an attribute is rare. This leads to a distribution skewed towards lower talent totals, although an average bro will probably at least have two stars in one stat since they're not that rare.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 19, 2017