Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

tweet my meat posted:

Just beat the final boss. It kinda felt like it came out of nowhere pacing wise, and the final bit where you're forced into a walk with nothing but your primary pod weapon to plink away at the boss slowly was really lame.

Onto the next playthrough I guess? I wasn't super blown away by the game, but it's still pretty good. Way too easy on normal though, probably gonna kick it up to hard for the next run.

You have a lot more story to see still with the rest of the routes to do... After your next "playthrough" that's still only like half the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

tweet my meat posted:

Just beat the final boss. It kinda felt like it came out of nowhere pacing wise, and the final bit where you're forced into a walk with nothing but your primary pod weapon to plink away at the boss slowly was really lame.

Onto the next playthrough I guess? I wasn't super blown away by the game, but it's still pretty good. Way too easy on normal though, probably gonna kick it up to hard for the next run.

You aren't even close to the end of the game.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

Saagonsa posted:

You aren't even close to the end of the game.

Yeah, when this game says "ending" it doesn't mean that it's ending the story, just ending a chapter. You haven't even finished the pre-title sequence.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Somebody up above posted a short story that actually appears to answer this all simply.

Basically: The boss you smashed up in Nier 1, a big toy robot, lay in ruins for X number of years while it self-repaired itself. It takes ages to restore itself, attains enlightenment, starts rebuilding itself and combining with more machines, and becomes a machine god, who then usurps control of the alien machines and human androids through a religious awakening. It is suggested in the end of that one that the machines spread their consciousness through the universe, as shown in Nier: Automata's ark ending.

Sure, that explains the Machine's overall motivation, buuuut...

...it doesn't really explain their specific behaviour during the Tower chapter. You could say they always intended to launch an ark, and they wanted to invite someone along as a "spezial price". At the same time, they want to keep evolving by keeping the androids around as adversaries - but at the same time, they fear they may be too much of a threat. So, uuuuuuh... What was the point of that last chapter, and dismantling the resource recovery units beforehand? It's clear the machines are just goading 9S along; are the units their way if kinda "gathering" the machine network from all corners of the world into the ark? (Which might also be why they launched an all-out attack on Pascal's village.) It seems the machines are doing all that to, ultimately, either kill or incorporate as much of YoRHa as possible while preparing for the ark.

That leaves the Tower chapter, then. The Machines clearly continue with their attempts to either win over or kill 9S (the red girls pretty much say that directly). Then what was up with that cannon bit? There's still some of humanity's data on the moon - do they want to destroy it? Reach it and assimilate it? Was it just a fakeout and A2 is plain wrong about this? Huh?!

Basically, it's the last chapter that's the most confusing to me. Everything before that, including the machine's history, kinda makes sense. With some deliberately unexplained parts, I guess (like where the committee presumably setting up YoRHa's successors is, or what the connection between the machines and the watchers is).

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Torquemadras posted:

Sure, that explains the Machine's overall motivation, buuuut...

...it doesn't really explain their specific behaviour during the Tower chapter. You could say they always intended to launch an ark, and they wanted to invite someone along as a "spezial price". At the same time, they want to keep evolving by keeping the androids around as adversaries - but at the same time, they fear they may be too much of a threat. So, uuuuuuh... What was the point of that last chapter, and dismantling the resource recovery units beforehand? It's clear the machines are just goading 9S along; are the units their way if kinda "gathering" the machine network from all corners of the world into the ark? (Which might also be why they launched an all-out attack on Pascal's village.) It seems the machines are doing all that to, ultimately, either kill or incorporate as much of YoRHa as possible while preparing for the ark.

That leaves the Tower chapter, then. The Machines clearly continue with their attempts to either win over or kill 9S (the red girls pretty much say that directly). Then what was up with that cannon bit? There's still some of humanity's data on the moon - do they want to destroy it? Reach it and assimilate it? Was it just a fakeout and A2 is plain wrong about this? Huh?!

Basically, it's the last chapter that's the most confusing to me. Everything before that, including the machine's history, kinda makes sense. With some deliberately unexplained parts, I guess (like where the committee presumably setting up YoRHa's successors is, or what the connection between the machines and the watchers is).

The cannon was the original plan, not the ark.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Lessail posted:

The cannon was the original plan, not the ark.

Well, that makes more sense, I guess.

It leaves the question of what the hell the resource recovery units were for, though. I guess we're supposed to take it literally: the machines use them to gather all the resources used for maintaining the various somewhat independent machine populations. We only see them have an adverse effect on the Amusement Park and Forest populations (turning their respective machines more obviously broken and insane), but I suppose they have that effect everywhere. It seems that whatever "resource" they are about resides in the machines' cores, so it is extracted and stored in another, extra-large core within the unit; and that energy is finally released and reverted to the central tower once someone destroys it. Now why have this done by an outsider? Just for the lulz (perfectly possible, given the network's rather sick humor)? To try and destroy/infect as much of the androids as there is left, given how these units are crawling with virus and 9S actually ends up infected several times?

I really like this game's hosed up story, you guys

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Rangpur posted:

There's a quest called Terminal Repairs which has them as a reward. So does Anemone's Past, if you aren't past the point of no return on Routes A & B. Beyond that, I'm not sure. Information on drop points still seems spotty. TBH I spent so much time in the early game poking around every nook and cranny that I usually had whatever a quest demanded by the time it came up. And no memory of where it came from (very helpful, I know).
I've done all the quests except for Reconnaissance Squad and that's at 92%. I thought I was pretty thorough running around with the scanner, but I guess I'm gonna have to follow up on some vague Internet leads since you can't buy these things. Ugh.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Zerilan posted:

It's only mentioned in one of the side stories that wasn't officially translated, but scanner models are literally not even supposed to be able to wield a weapon and use that telekinetic combat poo poo the combat models get, he reprogrammed himself to be able to.

He didn't do a very good job!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

RanKizama posted:

I've done all the quests except for Reconnaissance Squad and that's at 92%. I thought I was pretty thorough running around with the scanner, but I guess I'm gonna have to follow up on some vague Internet leads since you can't buy these things. Ugh.

there's a decent list of hidden scan points on the wiki

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
im surprised that people are so down on 9S, I liked him as a character a lot, and while it took a bit to get used to his playstyle to me he wasn't any worse than 2B or A2

I liked tearing things apart with the Dragoon Lance, didn't even need to abuse the throw, and the small sword moveset was pretty decent too

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I liked how quick and nimble he was, and it helped that I had Auto-Collect also. also i enjoy hacking

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Hacking is fun.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Hacking is fun.
The first 50 times. After that...

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

RanKizama posted:

There's tons of incidental and unique hacking sequences, particularly in the endgame, that more than justify its inclusion. I do prefer having access to hacking AND a full repetoire of combat options, but it felt surprisingly distinct from my 2B playstyle to be enjoyable while it lasted, and hacking makes fights go WAY loving faster.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think they found a good compromise in making the hacking minigames fast enough to not get old but challenging enough that you can still screw up if you're not paying attention to them. I found that doing them sparingly in the standard combat encounters helped a lot to keep them from getting old. As much fun as making our lil Hackerman hack the planet is, it's a good way to burn out on the microgames.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

9S reminds me of Hugo from Ys: Origin. A more support oriented playstyle that's borderline broken, but the hack and slash was way better.

That's also probably the reason why I put all my chips into ranged attack and used the pod most of the time.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
If you build up weapon attack and get a good upgraded weapon you can bust things up as 9S pretty effectively.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Bholder posted:

9S reminds me of Hugo from Ys: Origin. A more support oriented playstyle that's borderline broken, but the hack and slash was way better.

That's also probably the reason why I put all my chips into ranged attack and used the pod most of the time.

By the time you play as 9S optimally you should have all the pods and basically infinite pod programs through rotating cooldowns anyway so playing mostly ranged isn't a bad idea.

small hendren
Jan 27, 2011
Anyone know how to fix the unreadable system menu bug on ps4 or at least invert the camera?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

small hendren posted:

Anyone know how to fix the unreadable system menu bug on ps4 or at least invert the camera?

It fixed for me just by closing down and reopening the game, but it still comes and goes.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Fangz posted:

If you build up weapon attack and get a good upgraded weapon you can bust things up as 9S pretty effectively.

By level 80 or so you can easily chump anything with your bare hands, anyway.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
9S has a keepaway fighting style. All his weapon attacks focus on zoning out enemies or hitting them from a range. He's not supposed to go in and rushdown like 2B, you stay back and pelt them with projectiles, hack them, and throw your lance straight into their face. He's also the best character story-wise but his character design rubs a lot of people the wrong way which hurts his popularity.

small hendren
Jan 27, 2011

tweet my meat posted:

It fixed for me just by closing down and reopening the game, but it still comes and goes.

I just want to invert my camera :whitewater:

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I'm slowly starting to fall in love with this game

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
I finished ABCDEWQST and probably a few others and deleted my saved game. I was totally ok with it and felt like I had done all I wanted to with the game.
But...
I might actually play through it again. I'm sure I missed some interesting stuff that I want to see and the gameplay just feels so drat fun and good.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

KamikazePotato posted:

his character design rubs a lot of people the wrong way which hurts his popularity.

Who are these people who don't like running around as a cute boy in short shorts.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

he1ixx posted:

I finished ABCDEWQST and probably a few others and deleted my saved game. I was totally ok with it and felt like I had done all I wanted to with the game.
But...
I might actually play through it again. I'm sure I missed some interesting stuff that I want to see and the gameplay just feels so drat fun and good.
There's DLC coming as well.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

small hendren posted:

I just want to invert my camera :whitewater:

Pretty sure it's in the settings somewhere but there is no fix for this broken inverted brain

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

The other day I thought to myself and realized I was only feeling negatively about 9S because discussion about the game has been so saturated by hating on the guy. He's just another poor Taro-boy who turns into kind of a dick but he has a cool design and I actually don't mind him

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Nina posted:

The other day I thought to myself and realized I was only feeling negatively about 9S because discussion about the game has been so saturated by hating on the guy. He's just another poor Taro-boy who turns into kind of a dick but he has a cool design and I actually don't mind him
I like 9S as a character, it just felt like a step backwards playing as him even though hacking made most fights trivial.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I liked 9S for 90% until he'd clearly gone insane and was turning extremely anime while killing 2B models left and right while shouting obnoxiou crap like "i will kill you". Thankfully A2 is there to save the day and let me smack the idiot around a bit

RanKizama posted:

:sweatdrop:
really liking geometry wars helps i guess?

but honestly just throw spears all day. spear throws are the answer to most things in life

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 19, 2017

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

His heavy attack with the combat bracers is pretty good too!

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
Sweet merciful lord. I know I've done a lot of hacking, but fuckall if I've done that much. lol

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I liked 9S for 90% until he'd clearly gone insane and was turning extremely anime while killing 2B models left and right while shouting obnoxiou crap like "i will kill you". Thankfully A2 is there to save the day and let me smack the idiot around a bit

One argument I keep hearing a lot and I have to kinda agree with is that it's kinda lame both of the cool heroines die for his sake when he's the local genocide lad

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Nina posted:

One argument I keep hearing a lot and I have to kinda agree with is that it's kinda lame both of the cool heroines die for his sake when he's the local genocide lad
I've only heard that argument just once now. I get why they wrote it that way but still have to kinda agree with it.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Nina posted:

I wasn't keen on him at first, because by the start of your second playthrough, you're essentially relearning how to play the game again. He can't attack for poo poo, hacking sucks, let's face it, you just wanna be back carving up poo poo as 2B, don't you. By the end of the game, he's just so broken, it's hard not to feel for the kid.

RottenK posted:

if someone shoots you in the head and then somehow puts a copy of all of your memories into a cloned body, the existence of this copy of you won't mean that the you that got shot isn't dead anymore

See, I don't quite see it like that. Everything fundamental that made you you still exists. If we're talking a 1:1 copy, no degeneration or other weirdness (as seems to be the case with the YoRHa process)? The you that was just cloned has just as much right to consider themselves the real deal as the one that got shot in the head. I guess it's just a matter of perspective, really.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

See, I don't quite see it like that. Everything fundamental that made you you still exists. If we're talking a 1:1 copy, no degeneration or other weirdness (as seems to be the case with the YoRHa process)? The you that was just cloned has just as much right to consider themselves the real deal as the one that got shot in the head. I guess it's just a matter of perspective, really.
You should play SOMA and see if you're smarter than its protagonist

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Now that's just hurtful.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I liked 9S from the start.

His combat was annoying at first, but once you get used to keeping more distance from enemies it's fine. Tossing a spear through a group of enemies like a rocket never gets old. The hacking is great, I love how quick it is. Though I wish you choose your effect even if you're in combat, I never even knew hijack existed until the game forced me to use it.

My only complaint plot-wise is him seeing only the very end of 2B and A2's encounter and getting the wrong impression felt kind of hacky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kaboom Dragoon posted: