Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Single timeline predestination is the most elegant type of time travel story but it can also be the most boring because it tends to be a retread of a tragedy someone's already written like 12 Monkeys. Multiverse like in comics or Sliders can be really fun but tends to get unwieldy as you add more and more. Back to the Future or Star Trek "anything goes"-style where there's not exactly a multiverse and time paradoxes are kind of disregarded as just "part of the technology" like the user is out of phase or something are the least elegant but tend to be the most fun.

:goonsay: last I heard mathematically though it's been shown to be extremely unlikely that we can travel back in time while it simply takes a lot of energy to travel forward in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm travelling forward in time right now

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's why I used Dark Souls as an example. The player still becomes the hero by saving Dusk from Manus and it's still a surprise because we already know she makes it out of the DLC alive (otherwise she wouldn't still be alive in the present) but none of the specifics of her kidnapping. I think where some time loop stories fail is that they reveal too much of the events that lead to the outcome before they happen. There's no sense of mystery left because in showing how the loop got started at the beginning of their story, they reveal everything there is to know about it. Dark Souls reveals nothing about the time loop you're about to participate in until you are actually in it.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 19, 2017

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Does she still get kidnapped and rescued if I didn't beat the DLC?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yes, presumably she gets saved by some other enterprising undead. The game goes out of its way to mention that Dusk doesn't remember who saved her, which accounts for that possibility while at the same time conveniently excluding your character from the lore as those games love to do. Either way, Manus has to be canonically defeated in the past because his soul goes on to form the dark princess ladies in 2.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So when you meet her near the hydra, she's already been kidnapped and rescued by you despite you not having gone back in time yet? Does her dialogue mention that she's met you before?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Jay Rust posted:

I'm travelling forward in time right now

You are highly energized my friend.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jay Rust posted:

So when you meet her near the hydra, she's already been kidnapped and rescued by you despite you not having gone back in time yet? Does her dialogue mention that she's met you before?

She has already been saved by you, yes. Technically when you release her from the golem it's the second time you've saved her. The chain of events goes like this chronologically:

- A long time ago in Oolacile, Dusk is kidnapped. This is represented for the player in the present by her summon sign disappearing (more on this at the end).
- She waits there for however long until some mysterious undead comes along and slays Manus, saving her from the abyss.
- Years pass and Oolacile presumably falls to the abyss, eventually Darkroot Garden as we know it in the present springs up right atop the ruins.
- Dusk gets trapped inside a crystal golem in the basin and remains there for who knows how long.
- The player wanders in and saves her from the golem, and in thanks she offers her help in the form of her summon sign. And spells and stuff. According to her dialogue, she goes back to her own time period after being saved.
- After the player places the lordvessel some time later, Dusk's sign disappears because back in her own time period she has been kidnapped. They travel to the past and slay Manus, saving her from the abyss. After this the loop is complete and the player goes on their way.

Talking to Dusk after this reveals that she recalls being saved, but not by who, and so she assumes it was Artorias:

quote:

This may strike thine ear as somewhat peculiar, but…
Long ago, in my homeland of Oolacile, I was beset by a creature of the Abyss.
I would have perished then, were it not for the great knight Artorias.
In truth, I saw little of what transpired, for mine senses were already fled!
But even still, there was something about Artorias… A certain balance of the humours…
…That quite perfectly fits your semblance.
Heavens, could it be that…

Oh, dear me. That was Oolacile, many centuries ago.
Please excuse my fanciful musings.

edit: The real question to be asking is what happens to Dusk after all this stuff goes down. The player isn't stuck in the loop because they come into it and subsequently leave from the outside, but for all we know, Dusk might be trapped getting kidnapped by Manus over and over forever.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Apr 19, 2017

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i just saw a legit copy of landstalker's ost for sale :eyepop:

it's mostly meaningless to me because i didn't grow up playing it, but i can still appreciate its historical value as a cd soundtrack of a sega game

now, if it had been soulblazer... :v:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Damnit, I've been having trouble staying awake mid day lately so I bought some caffeine pills but I over caffeinated and now I can't fall asleep. Like it's almost four in the morning and I am wide awake.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

In my experience caffeine has never "woken me up" but it has made me unable to sleep at night like woah.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

In my experience caffeine has never "woken me up" but it has made me unable to sleep at night like woah.

Well for me it's not so much about waking me up as much as it is about not making me fall asleep in the middle of the day, which it did really well.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

bloodychill posted:

Single timeline predestination is the most elegant type of time travel story but it can also be the most boring because it tends to be a retread of a tragedy someone's already written like 12 Monkeys. Multiverse like in comics or Sliders can be really fun but tends to get unwieldy as you add more and more. Back to the Future or Star Trek "anything goes"-style where there's not exactly a multiverse and time paradoxes are kind of disregarded as just "part of the technology" like the user is out of phase or something are the least elegant but tend to be the most fun.

:goonsay: last I heard mathematically though it's been shown to be extremely unlikely that we can travel back in time while it simply takes a lot of energy to travel forward in time.

It takes very little energy to travel forward in time. You're doing it right now.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

exquisite tea posted:

It takes very little energy to travel forward in time. You're doing it right now.

Traveling at the relativistic speeds necessary to visit the future without aging requires quite a bit more.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
politicians seem to find it easier moving backwards in time am i right???

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
does this require an account or installing Battlenetwhatever they're calling it now or any verification along those lines?

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
They took out hotkey remapping :/ Hopefully it's back in for remastered? I don't know if a reason was given but that was a huge reason for me entertaining the thought of trying out 1v1's in BW.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Hey random question. I'm going to play Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind for the first time. What do I need to know going into it if I just want to have fun and not break the game which I hear is very easy.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

CJacobs posted:

She has already been saved by you, yes. Technically when you release her from the golem it's the second time you've saved her. The chain of events goes like this chronologically:

- A long time ago in Oolacile, Dusk is kidnapped. This is represented for the player in the present by her summon sign disappearing (more on this at the end).
- She waits there for however long until some mysterious undead comes along and slays Manus, saving her from the abyss.
- Years pass and Oolacile presumably falls to the abyss, eventually Darkroot Garden as we know it in the present springs up right atop the ruins.
- Dusk gets trapped inside a crystal golem in the basin and remains there for who knows how long.
- The player wanders in and saves her from the golem, and in thanks she offers her help in the form of her summon sign. And spells and stuff. According to her dialogue, she goes back to her own time period after being saved.
- After the player places the lordvessel some time later, Dusk's sign disappears because back in her own time period she has been kidnapped. They travel to the past and slay Manus, saving her from the abyss. After this the loop is complete and the player goes on their way.

Talking to Dusk after this reveals that she recalls being saved, but not by who, and so she assumes it was Artorias:

edit: The real question to be asking is what happens to Dusk after all this stuff goes down. The player isn't stuck in the loop because they come into it and subsequently leave from the outside, but for all we know, Dusk might be trapped getting kidnapped by Manus over and over forever.

Why does Dusk return to the past, if she knows she's just going to be kidnapped again?

e: I don't think it's a fixed timeline, because as you point out the player only rescues her once. If you went back to Darkroot and had the same conversation again, and she got kidnapped again, then yeah it would be.

Jay Rust fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Apr 19, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

FirstAidKite posted:

When dealing with time travel stories, do you prefer alternate diverging timelines where the universe is constantly branching off in different ways, singular unified timelines where regardless of what happens everything stays in a single constant time flow regardless of what happens to it, or predestination/cyclical where the events of the future specifically shape the past into what it is in order to shape the future and influence the past
I don't have any strong preference- I care more about how whatever version of time travel is used to explore character or theme or whatever.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

FalloutGod posted:

Hey random question. I'm going to play Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind for the first time. What do I need to know going into it if I just want to have fun and not break the game which I hear is very easy.

Specialize hard at first. Stick to one type of weapon since if you actually want to hit you can't afford spreading your skills around too much.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jay Rust posted:

Why does Dusk return to the past, if she knows she's just going to be kidnapped again?

e: I don't think it's a fixed timeline, because as you point out the player only rescues her once. If you went back to Darkroot and had the same conversation again, and she got kidnapped again, then yeah it would be.

She doesn't go back to the past on purpose, per these other dialogues:

quote:

I am Dusk of Oolacile.
I cometh from an age long before thine… I can not stay here for long.
So, before i disappear, allow me to ask one thing.
My home, Oolacile, is the home of ancient sorceries.
My hope is to pass this profound knowledge to thee, with thine approval.
Would this be of assistance to thee?

quote:

For a very long time, I was trapped within the Crystal Golem.
From my home I was taken, and banish'd to a plane of distortion.
It was there, that thou came to my rescue.
Long after I had relinquished all hope.

quote:

My home of Oolacile was reduced to ashes, long ago, in my time.
I have been alone ever since…
But to be summon's thus, and to be of service to thee… It is… most rewarding…
Oh, forgive me, such a long past time is none of thine concern…

And you're probably right, considering she becomes a permanent fixture after you complete the DLC. What I assume is, before you do the DLC, she returns to her era before being kidnapped by Manus. Then you free her, and time proceeds as normal for both of you after that.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
The flow of time itself is convoluted, with heroes centuries old phasing in and out.
The very fabric wavers, and relations shift and obscure.

Olive! fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Apr 19, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

The flow of time itself is convoluted, with heroes centuries old phasing in and out.
The very fabric wavers, and relations shift and obscure.

This line sucks and I hate it. God drat you Solaire.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The only Souls dialog that matters is the creepy laughs

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
The cat with the sexy voice in Majula is Extremely Lore

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Cats in the Souls games, like in real life, are extremely powerful beings with knowledge beyond any human's comprehension, but they don't do anything with it because they're so fuckin lazy. This is canon.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
They've also got real gross mouths, just like in real life.

Meanwhile, dogs get sif, the best dog.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Help Im Alive posted:

The only Souls dialog that matters is the creepy laughs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBkqKlv3EPk&t=31s

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Bearer seek seek lest

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Souls games have taught me that I should kill any person I meet in real life who laughs like "keh heh heh" because they are very dubious and I want their cool clothes. Perhaps not the best lesson to take away from them.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I wish Dark Souls got a "fufufufu". If only to confirm what that actually sounds like.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Obligatory "Always kill Lautrec" post.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I liked kicking Lautrec off the cliff in my Dark Souls playthroughs

On to a completely different topic, did anyone impulse buy Flinthook? Watching a stream it looks like Rogue Legacy but you have a grappling hook

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FirstAidKite posted:

When dealing with time travel stories, do you prefer alternate diverging timelines where the universe is constantly branching off in different ways, singular unified timelines where regardless of what happens everything stays in a single constant time flow regardless of what happens to it, or predestination/cyclical where the events of the future specifically shape the past into what it is in order to shape the future and influence the past

I prefer ones like Looper and Austin Powers 2 that point out that time travel is not a real thing and the rules are whatever they say they are so enjoy the story they're telling and don't overthink it.

Honorable mention goes to the Harry Potter series, where JK Rowling got so sick of of people over analyzing the time travel she used in the third book that later in the series she went out of her way to have them accidentally destroy every single Time Turner just to drive home that it was never ever going to be a thing again.

Dewgy posted:

LoK was awesome but I don't think it was about predestination so much as it was that time and causality itself was a living, breathing, reactive thing which was super awesome.

"History abhors a paradox" is one of those moments that will stick with me forever. Such a cool idea, and so well executed.

The 11/22/63 miniseries wound up being kind of disappointing overall but the way the pilot episode showed time actively fighting back against his attempt at changing it was really cool and spooky.

":gibs: You shouldn't be here."

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

The 11/22/63 miniseries wound up being kind of disappointing overall but the way the pilot episode showed time actively fighting back against his attempt at changing it was really cool and spooky.

":gibs: You shouldn't be here."

The book was great and I only watched the first episode, what'd they end up doing with the miniseries?

But yeah I was going to say I like how 11/22/63 did it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Guy Mann posted:

I prefer ones like Looper and Austin Powers 2 that point out that time travel is not a real thing and the rules are whatever they say they are so enjoy the story they're telling and don't overthink it.
I'm definitely the exact opposite and is one of the main reasons I was very cool on Looper. All of my favorite time travel stories have been pretty convoluted and full of twists/turns and I like it when the story takes advantage of the potential non-linear nature of that aspect to sort of "game the system" and accomplish something. I went into Looper expecting that the cat-and-mouse game between Willis and Gordon-Levitt would be a sort of evolving battle where Willis would "learn" what his past self was going to try to do on the fly and would evade him by doing this. When it was just a straight up fugitive chase thing where time travel didn't matter at all I was pretty bummed out.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 19, 2017

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I like Harry Potter book 3 too, but then the stage play came in and they used time tavel as a vehicle for can fiction, which is an ok concept but it just comes across as pandering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Terminator TV show had an interesting take on time travel. The future changed over the course of the show so that characters who came back early in its run came from a different situation than characters who arrived later. They would have conflicting agendas based on what they remembered and what they thought needed to be done in response, including two characters who had a pre-existing relationship in the future but gradually discovered they didn't really know each other at all in the present because they had different histories with their timeline's version of the other.

• Locked thread