Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

My parents had a huge collection of Spider-Man (and X-Men, Avengers, and Iron Man) that I got into, but I'm pretty sure the first one I ever read was this:

I'm kind of tempted to track it down and re-read it, but I suspect it's not nearly as awesome now as it was when I was 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

someone awful. posted:

Why does that dude have a smiley face on his metal undies?

:buddy:

Phreak's super double secret origin was that he was actually Arnim Zola's perverted little brother.

X-O posted:

I took my five dollars and studied the rack at Walgreens for what had to be a good 10 minutes just trying to decide which book I was going to get.

I was really glad when I finally found my first dedicated comic store and it was a hell of a lot better than the old newsagents used to be (sometimes they rolled your comic up with a rubber band :gonk:), but I do kinda miss standing there as a kid in front of the small comic selection trying to figure out what one single comic I could afford to get :shobon:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 17, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ToxicFrog posted:

My parents had a huge collection of Spider-Man (and X-Men, Avengers, and Iron Man) that I got into, but I'm pretty sure the first one I ever read was this:

I'm kind of tempted to track it down and re-read it, but I suspect it's not nearly as awesome now as it was when I was 8.

It's fine. The other one where they team up is way way better though.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Isn't the other one where Lex rides Otto out of prison like a horse?

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Still can't get over the fact that the long buildup with Spiderman's Ronan plan meant nothing at all. Good job spidey :allears:

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Spider-Man's plan was gently laying Ronan on it's arms and then ripping it's head off.

By all logic, it's paid off improbably well

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I wonder just why Newspaper Spider-Man is so great. I mean, there must be someone on the project who, at one time, was wide-eyed and naive enough to try to make things make any sort of sense. Is this like Batman '66, where everything's supposed to be silly? Or is everyone involved really phoning it in?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O (I think?) theorized that the Sunday artist does whatever and the weekday artist has to link each Sunday.

I like to think that explains it all.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hurry up Rocket! Spiderman might become a deader and then who will pay the monthly tariff on his property?!?!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

rocket is waiting for spidey to die so he can steal his billfold

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I read the news-a-gram oh boy

The alien sentry had just won the war

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Compared to "news-o-gram" and "heat aura trackmotron", I'm not sure if "space prison" is a step up or a step down.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It should have been "cosmogaol".

Or perhaps "intersideral oubliette".

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

The alien sentry had just won the war

Four thousand shroomed cars in New Mexico

(try as I might, Albuquerque just wouldn't scan)

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
after the ronan disappointment, rocket refuses to end this until there's been at least one death

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

It's going to be a whole week of Rocket doing nothing while Spidey agonizes, isn't it? :allears:

I'm dying Rocket

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
MJ's going to deactivate the robot by smashing its head in with a piece of rubble, isn't she?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rocket knows EXACTLY what he is doing

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I'm the badonkadonk on the sentry silhouette

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Synthbuttrange posted:

I'm dying Rocket

So.. 50, 60 parts? Quill's still using cassette tapes, surely it can't be that much.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Cabbit posted:

So.. 50, 60 parts? Quill's still using cassette tapes, surely it can't be that much.

This is probably the worst place to ask but I just thought of it, but aren't cassette tapes very sensitive to radiation and Pete's tapes would have been ruined as soon as he left the magnetosphere?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

flosofl posted:

Four thousand shroomed cars in New Mexico

(try as I might, Albuquerque just wouldn't scan)

Easier if you shorten it to ABQ.

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Apr 18, 2017

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Rocket attempts to kill more people through inaction then he does with his actual guns.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Synthbuttrange posted:

I'm dying Rocket

So the sentry was holding Spidey by his shoulders initially, then by his arms, now it's by his wrists. Spidey is more slippery than he looks!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Push El Burrito posted:

Isn't the other one where Lex rides Otto out of prison like a horse?

It is. They also put that exact panel in Avengers Forever, which was Kurt Busiek's story about dimensions and alternate time lines.

And if you go to the reference of that panel in the index at the end of the issue they describe it as "Doctor Octopus and another super villain, escaping from jail." In a real *nudge nudge, wink wink* way.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Scaramouche posted:

This is probably the worst place to ask but I just thought of it, but aren't cassette tapes very sensitive to radiation and Pete's tapes would have been ruined as soon as he left the magnetosphere?

Not really. Magnetic storage is impervious to non-ionizing radiation and even x-rays can't actually damage the tapes unless the dose is so high neutron damage starts. If you're experiencing neutron damage on your cassette tapes, you're probably already dead.

The actual players are more susceptible to damage from radiation, but the storage medium itself can only be damaged by magnets or physical damage to the tape.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Kwyndig posted:

Not really. Magnetic storage is impervious to non-ionizing radiation and even x-rays can't actually damage the tapes unless the dose is so high neutron damage starts. If you're experiencing neutron damage on your cassette tapes, you're probably already dead.

The actual players are more susceptible to damage from radiation, but the storage medium itself can only be damaged by magnets or physical damage to the tape.

Plus, one would assume that the ships have some kind of radiation shielding.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

rocket raccoon can't break steel kree

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So I guess in space they have eggs, butter and cheese but not raccoons.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

ImpAtom posted:

So I guess in space they have eggs, butter and cheese but not raccoons.

The only thing they don't have in space is raccoons.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
At this point, Rocket wants Spidey to die. :allears:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

That last panel is a pretty good dance move.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The Dab just made it to space.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Push El Burrito posted:

The Dab just made it to space.

The opposite, really. Rocket just introduced the dab to Newspaper Earth.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
"How do I find the stop button? Let me close my eyes and poke at random at this indecipherable blue mess."

What are the chances the button is a huge red one in the middle of it all

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

The Sentry has to be jumping rope with Pete's spine by this point, right?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

The Simpsons did it first.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Apr 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
lmao

• Locked thread