Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
5* Witch spells are pretty bad and only exist for Chaining.

4* ones aren't great, but at least they're a bit more useful. I'm sure someone out there can do a mathematical calculation on 4* Witch > other spells vs just casting spells twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

wizard on a water slide posted:

OK's probably the best Ninja in the game, too. Honestly if you're good on 4* motes you should just fully dive him and use him in some capacity for every single piece of content except CMs

This is the correct answer.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
4* witch spells have the benefit of being 4* (and thus super cheap to hone) and, while they have lower damage than -ja spells, they have multiple hits, so if you're buffing the hell out of your party they may end up doing more damage overall, since -ja spells cap out at a pretty low amount of mag against most enemies.

I'd mostly hone em to build meter on mages without access to wrath, though.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
How much better are the 4* witch abilities than chain-gas, assuming running out of gas isn't an issue? Do they substantially lower the time it takes to fill a soul gauge?

Since mage damage relies so heavily on buffs, the actual damage of abilities used to fill everyone's gauges doesn't seem to matter much. If they can get you a burst in half the time I'll go ahead and hone some up.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

KPC_Mammon posted:

How much better are the 4* witch abilities than chain-gas, assuming running out of gas isn't an issue? Do they substantially lower the time it takes to fill a soul gauge?

Since mage damage relies so heavily on buffs, the actual damage of abilities used to fill everyone's gauges doesn't seem to matter much. If they can get you a burst in half the time I'll go ahead and hone some up.
They don't fill any more than usual, they just make your next cast instant, so you can chain 'em. Works well with ace striker.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

They don't fill any more than usual, they just make your next cast instant, so you can chain 'em. Works well with ace striker.

So you'll fill a gauge in 2/3rds the time, 1/2 if you are hasted, assuming 135 base speed? That isn't bad.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

The 4 star Witch spells give Quick Cast, not Powerchain.

The 5 star Witch spells are also better than people are giving them credit for. 6 hits is a huge upside, even discarding chains. You only need to deal ~3400 per hit for them to outdamage Chain Blizzaga/Thundaga.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Chain blizzaga and thundaga were the first 5* black magics I honed to r3, so I might be skipping on the witch skills. At least for now.

They also use dark orbs as their major component, which is my most needed orb by far. So I might just shatter them to fuel my other poo poo.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Zurai posted:

The 4 star Witch spells give Quick Cast, not Powerchain.

The 5 star Witch spells are also better than people are giving them credit for. 6 hits is a huge upside, even discarding chains. You only need to deal ~3400 per hit for them to outdamage Chain Blizzaga/Thundaga.
oh, I thought the 4*s worked exclusively on Witch skills, I'll probably keep the ice one for Edea so she can quick cast her BSB

Who all gets Witch?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

Who all gets Witch?
At the time of the XI event, these will be the options:

5★ Witch access:
Matoya
Cloud of Darkness
Rinoa
Edea
Lulu
Shantotto
Tyro

4★ Witch access:
Maria
Rydia
Krile
Terra
Ashe
Serah
Reynn

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Hogama posted:

At the time of the XI event, these will be the options:

5★ Witch access:
Matoya
Cloud of Darkness
Rinoa
Edea
Lulu
Shantotto
Tyro

Though she's not out for the XI event, Rapha comes out a week later and is also 5* Witch, IIRC.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Well, looking all the way ahead, further additions to the Witch roster beyond the XI event are:

5★
Rapha
Meia (with Record Sphere)

4★
Jihl Nabaat
Meia

That's it for now; it's never going to be a very frequent addition given its exclusivity to female casters (besides wunderkind Tyro).

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Zurai posted:

Wrath was available at launch, so yeah.

Also Wrath is totally fine if, as mentioned, you don't rely on pure Attack boosts for your Attack boost needs. Onion BSB, Hand of the Emperor-style effects, etc all happily stack with Wrath.

Or hold off on boostga until you've already wrathed up whatever.

I like wrathing when I want to build 3 SB bars on a boss to blow through it's weak mode. I don't care if my damage is meh early on, so long as I boostga to replace wrath before opening up.

Of course, when using in-realm synergy OSBs, I don't really even need a +atk boostga when +atk/+mag hits softcap by itself.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Hogama posted:

Well, looking all the way ahead, further additions to the Witch roster beyond the XI event are:

5★
Rapha
Meia (with Record Sphere)

4★
Jihl Nabaat
Meia

That's it for now; it's never going to be a very frequent addition given its exclusivity to female casters (besides wunderkind Tyro).

Who's Meia? (Real question, have no idea.) I only mentioned Rapha since it's so short a wait for her; Jihl's in, what, July-ish?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Prism posted:

Who's Meia? (Real question, have no idea.) I only mentioned Rapha since it's so short a wait for her; Jihl's in, what, July-ish?

She's the female protag from Mobius and in RK is a water-focused summoner.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Meia is a Final Fantasy Moebius character, like Wol (not Warrior of Light) and Echo.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Zurai posted:

Meia is a Final Fantasy Moebius character, like Wol (not Warrior of Light) and Echo.

I honestly love that the Warrior of Light is in twice since we have his Dissidia version and the FF1 remake/reimagining/whatever Moebius is version.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Ah poo poo, the ffxi event is almost here. I was hoping to have enough mythril for 2 pulls, but the anniversary banners coming back was too good to let go.

I should have enough for one pull. This is my favorite realm, so hopfully I get some neat poo poo.

Edit: I've destroyed all my major eggs over the anniversary, so I don't have enough to level 4 new characters. RIP. Also the relics aren't all that interesting. It might be better for me to just wait till the next ffxi event.

Sprite141 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 18, 2017

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Does it really make sense to pull on that? 11 has like 1 event a year

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, it does if you like the characters. Some of them have really good stuff (like Lion's burst is Vaan's except it hits Attack instead of Magic), and it's basically a dupe-free banner for North America.

I figure at this point most launch players are to the point where the only banners they really "should" pull on are the couple times a year a meta-defining item or one which moves the power tier of SBs up comes out, and they have like basic synergy for all the common realms and all the cornerstone pieces for generic teams (like boost and hastegas) worked out, so w/e

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Other then Shantotto's BSB and Chain SB, every item does show up again in the next XI event.

Banner 1 will be Curilla/Aphmau/Zeid.
Banner 2 will be Lion/Ayame/Prishe.

Note for the Torment if that's the reason you're pulling: Dark Dragon is weak to ice and resists everything else, Seeker is weak to Fire and resists Dark. They also have piercing attacks and love status effects in a realm with no Dancer/Support 5 for Full Break and Affliction Break. (Paralysis, Sap, Sleep, Petrify and Blind)

I'd say Banner 2 of the Aphmau/Zeid event is the best for it with Ayame and Lion's stuff, but the Women of the World banner is also pretty great for it.
Shantotto BSB and SSB2 for hitting Fire and Ice weaknesses, Lion's BSB for mitigation on piercing attacks, and Curilla's SSB to deal with status effects.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 18, 2017

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

1st AD posted:

Does it really make sense to pull on that? 11 has like 1 event a year

The next ffxi event is really nice, and has most of the same relics repeated on one of its banners. I really want ayame's bsb, which is on the same banner that these relics are repeated on. I'll probably still make a pull, but I could always just save up for extreme fest instead.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I started an alt account right before OSB fest back around Christmas. I pulled Bartz and Terra OSBs and Minfilia BSB, so I figured, cool something to screw around with from time to time. I played it here and there, mostly just to work up enough mythril for 50 pulls every once in a while, until the 2nd anniversary.

That account now has a physical team of Gaffgarion BSB, Minfilia BSB, Refia BSB, Relm BSB, Ramza with shout

Or a mage team of Vivi with OSB, Terra with OSB, Krile, Alphanerd BSBs.

That account also just pulled OK BSB and Desch BSB from banner 2.

:wtf:

Its officially insanely good except for I don't have hones. I'm probably going to end up giving this away to someone but its fun to mess around with for the time being.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
With BSBs you don't really need hones. Get r3 lifesiphon on your BSB melee guys and they're good to go. 3 uses will get them an SB bar (assuming they get hit during those turns) and by the time burst mode ends they'll have another ready to go or only need a lifesiphon use to have it ready again. If you can't kill a boss in 3-4 BSB durations on a melee team with both Shout and Vessel of Fate you hosed up somewhere along the way.

e: That's for stuff like EX/U event fights. For story dungeons even r1 lifesiphon while killing trash should ensure a SB usage by the time you reach the boss and most bosses will outright die to the initial wave of BSB damage (after Shout and maybe Vessel).

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 19, 2017

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Oh I know, my main account is probably one of the better stocked ones around here without extreme whaling.

I need to work on getting Dr. Mog's and Mako Might. I have Battleforged but neither High Scorer or Ace Striker either. When I do finally get meter though, poo poo melts.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
Aren't we getting the new dailies tonight, too? I'm gonna assume we get them tonight, not at the usual time of new events.

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

wizard on a water slide posted:

OK's probably the best Ninja in the game, too. Honestly if you're good on 4* motes you should just fully dive him and use him in some capacity for every single piece of content except CMs

I have very few, as the first time I tried a mote dungeon I got my rear end handed to me.

But I just beat my first one with OK, Y'Shtola, Beatrix, Terra, and Vaan. :unsmith: Not having to tie up a rw with haste, mitigation, or healing is amazing!

I now have a level 95 support/black mage OK.

Now I just need an OSB for a character I don't hate so I can kick Vaan off the A Team.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Every OK Mote I get in these enigma dungeons leveling Desch and Arc just further tempts me to take another crack at drawing those OK Gauntlets. :emo:

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

It's been awhile since I complained about JP stuff in here, but holy poo poo is this Full Throttle fight for the II event on my last nerve. Especially because I can't even clear it but am also not really certain I've got a better setup to throw at it. Partially it's the nonsense about a 30% miss chance for anything physical (including SBs) which excludes physical parties from the equation, but it's also that the fuckers hit real drat hard, but you also need to pour out as much damage as quickly as possible or you'll wind up with everyone slept and AOE'd to death.

I threw up my hands after the last time where I was one hit away from killing the Red Flame, just about to renew Deployment Tactics for the Radiant Shield when wall drops and he slams the entire party for 6k plus damage. Only survivor is Maria, who still dies before she can get off the last cast of her BSB that would have been needed to kill the fucker. :argh:

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Cosmic Afro posted:

Aren't we getting the new dailies tonight, too? I'm gonna assume we get them tonight, not at the usual time of new events.
Yeah at regular daily rollover. We're also getting 10 mythril and 5 Major Summon Orbs to celebrate the new dailies.

For the mythril budgeters, we only get mythril for the top level of each dungeon so that's only 13 with the new dungeons.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I can't remember the last time I earned mythril from a dungeon.

I'm too busy grinding XP and OK Motes :smith:

(Hey! Only one more OK Mote left to go and he's fully dived!)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ok, stupid question. Yshtola's fantastic Asylum is my only healing BSB (though I got Selphie and Arc's SSB Medica/blink sitting around) and her ability to use wrath has kind of spoiled me.

How are normal healers supposed to build SB? Diaga or a (presumably) weaker black magic targeting weakness? Hitting stuff with their magic stick? Just curious cause I'm leveling Arc right now and he obviously can't use wrath (does have Summoning 5 though, which might make him handy whenever I do Valigarmanda and Neo Bahamut nightmare dungeons).

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
For short fights, popping a Mako Might or Dr Mog's on them usually works well enough if you don't need them elsewhere or if the boss starts with a big fuckoff attack. Otherwise, throw on one of the other Soul Juice RM's and build it up through normal ability use. I've found that for most fights, it tends to build up just in time for when it's needed.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, I think a bad habit I've had so far is always gluing Mako Might or Doc Mog on Yshtola even if the boss doesn't actually do anything super nasty to start.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

ArmadilloConspiracy posted:

level 95 support/black mage OK.
Egg him to 99 immediately, you're using him with still mediocre stats and his stat rise starts at 93 and ends at 99.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

So many greens :stare:

Still holding out hope that they add accessories to the green shop again at some point, there's a lot of older stuff I missed and I've got some big gaps in resistance gear.

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

So many greens :stare:

Still holding out hope that they add accessories to the green shop again at some point, there's a lot of older stuff I missed and I've got some big gaps in resistance gear.

This is the dream! I have 120,000 greens and I don't want to spend any got fear of missing something like that.

Are there any similar events known to be coming?

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
The real kicker? The Greens Dungeons are IX synergy, SO EQUIP THAT RUNE TOOTH AND GET 50% MORE GREENS!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Goddamnit there was zero extra days to collect the eggs? Goddamn DeNA what the gently caress, I've been busy and forgot to get the last 10 eggs. :sigh:

ArmadilloConspiracy posted:

Now I just need an OSB for a character I don't hate so I can kick Vaan off the A Team.

If you have Vaan's BSB he shouldn't be leaving your A team. Being able to provide double def/mag breakdown is huge and Vaan's BSB is among the best in the game period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Goddamnit there was zero extra days to collect the eggs? Goddamn DeNA what the gently caress, I've been busy and forgot to get the last 10 eggs. :sigh:

If you have Vaan's BSB he shouldn't be leaving your A team. Being able to provide double def/mag breakdown is huge and Vaan's BSB is among the best in the game period.

I don't, just his OSB. I would accept my fate if I did. I actually used a Vaan RW in my mote fight. I like having someone with an OSB to help clean up bosses with a lot of HP, I'll just be thrilled when it isn't him.

• Locked thread