Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Sarsapariller posted:

Yeah, that was me yesterday. "Boy," I thought to myself, wrapping up my 149th hour on the steam version of Elite (and probably triple that overall), "I really am unhappy with the direction this game is going."

As I thought this, I hit the boost on my fully engineered combat fitted Imperial Cutter, snaking into the station mailbox just ahead of another player's slow-rear end cruise-liner coming to land on autopilot. Quince was way, way more full of players than I thought it'd be, due to the newest "Exploit" which involved running passenger missions from the station to a beacon literally 20 seconds away. I had picked up a bunch of wanted passengers and didn't want to get tagged by station security on my way back in, so I didn't stick around to wait in the slow queue of Blue Danube-playing motherfuckers. Luckily the Cutter is 3,000 tons of shielded gently caress-you, and doesn't really encounter obstacles, when going full speed, so much as suffer moderate turbulence and leave a field of devastation in its' wake.

"I mean, the game is an inch deep!" I mentally repeated for the seven thousandth time, as I navigated the menu in the station and ordered a bunch of my core internal equipment transferred to the station. I'd gotten kind of bored with the passenger running and figured I'd throw in my fighter hangar and go host a multicrew session at one of the four or five conflict zones dotting Quince, as it was apparently in a state of civil war. I can only assume Quince is in a civil war because so many commanders are assisting all factions equally, and something about the rapid growth in strength triggers a conflict state in the background sim. I don't know, the way Elite does background mechanics has always been kind of obscure.

"There's just so little to do, and the devs aren't listening to their players" I lamented as I queued up to join a multi-crew session while waiting for my ship components to transfer. I was placed in the jumpseat of somebody's federal corvette and immediately launched to go fly my fighter around their mothership, along with the host and another player doing the same thing. "I feel like the only thing left to do is go poo poo on Star Citizen, which is much better in every way" I mused while hugging the belly of an assault ship to keep its forward-facing guns from tracking my unbelievably fragile little fighter, dumping plasma repeater rounds into it all the while. "I remember that one time in SC where I shot at a dude from space with my rifle and he died and then t-posed through the floor and then his ship exploded for no reason and jerkily spun off in a hundred different directions. So immersive! Elite will never match that," I reflected sadly as the three of us took on a 3-man-wing composed of an anaconda and two eagles in a rolicking, deadly laser-light show through the asteroid field that was our current hunting ground. Battles won and items finally transferred, I left the session and collected my meager earnings.

"It's just too bad that they didn't have Chris Roberts' vision" was my sad thought, as I surveyed the in-game galactic news before leaving for one of the conflict zones. Turns out a year-old forum and internet based ARG had come to its conclusion, with players discovering an abandoned megaship far out in one arm of the galaxy, along with a bunch of audio logs furthering the shared story line. "Some day, when Star Citizen is out and good, people are going to be asking hard questions about what went wrong with this game" I concluded, boosting back out of the station. I had several hours of shallow, tepid gameplay to experience before I logged off, and I couldn't spend all night worrying about what might have been. But I was resolved that tomorrow, I would really let those Citizens feel my grief. It was time to post... Dangerously.

Thanks for the write-up, good one. I've never played E:D or spent time watching gameplay videos, this is good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Meridian posted:

Yeah, I was debating if I wanted to use the free space for something, that may as well be it.

I see no mention of :pgabz: being all :argh:

Xaerael posted:

Chris Roberts - Used car salesman.... CONFIRMED.

In F-1 World Grand Prix for the N64, there was a cool scenario, based on a real life event, where you played as a driver who was in the lead but lost 1 wheel towards the end of the race. You had to try to limp into goal before the opponents could catch up with only 3 wheels and the steering difficulties that entailed.
Pretty sure that game had a damage system at least as good as Star Citizen.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Oh poo poo, you're right.

Listen, I never promised anything and it was the first iteration. You clearly don't understand bingo card development. Just need to get the pipelines refactored and layer in the memes. Cashflow has been a little light, if you know what I mean.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Sarsapariller posted:

Yeah, that was me yesterday. "Boy," I thought to myself, wrapping up my 149th hour on the steam version of Elite (and probably triple that overall), "I really am unhappy with the direction this game is going."

As I thought this, I hit the boost on my fully engineered combat fitted Imperial Cutter, snaking into the station mailbox just ahead of another player's slow-rear end cruise-liner coming to land on autopilot. Quince was way, way more full of players than I thought it'd be, due to the newest "Exploit" which involved running passenger missions from the station to a beacon literally 20 seconds away. I had picked up a bunch of wanted passengers and didn't want to get tagged by station security on my way back in, so I didn't stick around to wait in the slow queue of Blue Danube-playing motherfuckers. Luckily the Cutter is 3,000 tons of shielded gently caress-you, and doesn't really encounter obstacles, when going full speed, so much as suffer moderate turbulence and leave a field of devastation in its' wake.

"I mean, the game is an inch deep!" I mentally repeated for the seven thousandth time, as I navigated the menu in the station and ordered a bunch of my core internal equipment transferred to the station. I'd gotten kind of bored with the passenger running and figured I'd throw in my fighter hangar and go host a multicrew session at one of the four or five conflict zones dotting Quince, as it was apparently in a state of civil war. I can only assume Quince is in a civil war because so many commanders are assisting all factions equally, and something about the rapid growth in strength triggers a conflict state in the background sim. I don't know, the way Elite does background mechanics has always been kind of obscure.

"There's just so little to do, and the devs aren't listening to their players" I lamented as I queued up to join a multi-crew session while waiting for my ship components to transfer. I was placed in the jumpseat of somebody's federal corvette and immediately launched to go fly my fighter around their mothership, along with the host and another player doing the same thing. "I feel like the only thing left to do is go poo poo on Star Citizen, which is much better in every way" I mused while hugging the belly of an assault ship to keep its forward-facing guns from tracking my unbelievably fragile little fighter, dumping plasma repeater rounds into it all the while. "I remember that one time in SC where I shot at a dude from space with my rifle and he died and then t-posed through the floor and then his ship exploded for no reason and jerkily spun off in a hundred different directions. So immersive! Elite will never match that," I reflected sadly as the three of us took on a 3-man-wing composed of an anaconda and two eagles in a rolicking, deadly laser-light show through the asteroid field that was our current hunting ground. Battles won and items finally transferred, I left the session and collected my meager earnings.

"It's just too bad that they didn't have Chris Roberts' vision" was my sad thought, as I surveyed the in-game galactic news before leaving for one of the conflict zones. Turns out a year-old forum and internet based ARG had come to its conclusion, with players discovering an abandoned megaship far out in one arm of the galaxy, along with a bunch of audio logs furthering the shared story line. "Some day, when Star Citizen is out and good, people are going to be asking hard questions about what went wrong with this game" I concluded, boosting back out of the station. I had several hours of shallow, tepid gameplay to experience before I logged off, and I couldn't spend all night worrying about what might have been. But I was resolved that tomorrow, I would really let those Citizens feel my grief. It was time to post... Dangerously.

This is great and reminds me to upload a vid of elite from last night

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/136633322?t=19m37s

:gary:

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

It would seem Frontier will be making more money than CIG in its latest financial year (April to March). 46 million USD at Frontier compared to around 34 million USD at CIG's tracker. Obviously the rollercoaster game is part of that but still.

http://www.londonstockexchange.com/exchange/news/alliance-news/detail/1492591978667908800.html

loving lol that is going to hurt

It is almost as if releasing actual games that people actually play could work.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 19, 2017

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Here is what I found last night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NYUnGGP284

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
So its been a long road but I think at this point after seeing SCs dire schedule for this year (thats prettied up, imagine what it actually is) we can declare Elite the 'winner'.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

TrustmeImLegit posted:

So its been a long road but I think at this point after seeing SCs dire schedule for this year (thats prettied up, imagine what it actually is) we can declare Elite the 'winner'.

It's a strange thing to see in parallel, Elite gets better and better and SC get, well, nothing

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

hello commando

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

For some reason I woke up excited and in a cold sweat. Then I realized today is another episode Loremaker’s Guide to the Galaxy.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Elite literally came out in 2014. What the absolute gently caress? How has it been that long already?

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Elite literally came out in 2014. What the absolute gently caress? How has it been that long already?

When the fidelity is only layered an inch deep things progress quickly. Like right now ED could never hope to match SCs sheer thickness of fidelity in the strut and hud placement. Next year there might even be a non skyboxed planet.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Next year there might even be a non skyboxed planet.

:eyepop:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Look at Elites lore build up recently. Players being pulled from previously safe hyperspace by strange alien bioships, finding debris from large powerful ships and just a few days ago the derelict megaship with information about some shadowy organization that goes beyond the 3 power blocks thats creating waypoints in the middle of nowhere with some very extreme measures to contain any info from leaking out.

The way frontier has executed it isn't really fantastic, often times full of bugs and such, but it blows away anything CIG has done by virtue of actually existing.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

TrustmeImLegit posted:

When the fidelity is only layered an inch deep things progress quickly. Like right now ED could never hope to match SCs sheer thickness of fidelity in the strut and hud placement. Next year there might even be a non skyboxed planet.

True, I forgot about the measly 440ft^2 of fidelity. Why that's only ~3.1 times the area of an typical American parking space!

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

TrustmeImLegit posted:

ty for this
reposted this on reddit and got 5+ responses in a few minutes early on a Wednesday morning. they salty.
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/669ai2/do_you_guys_think_well_ever_have_a_massive_battle/

lol at those people complaining because the navy cutter is a dlc only ship. isnt literally every ship in star citizen right now dlc only?

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
Without two or tree aiming reticles drifting arbitrarily around in the middle of the HUD I had no idea what was going on in this video 8/10

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Chin posted:

Without two or tree aiming reticles drifting arbitrarily around in the middle of the HUD I had no idea what was going on in this video 8/10

Agreed, it really is a mile wide and an inch deep

mrchinchin25
Apr 14, 2012

Dat BDSSE

Sarsapariller posted:

It was time to post... Dangerously.

:circlefap:

I re-watched Interstellar over the weekend, which adds 90% likelihood I'll reinstall Elite and replay it. Your post added the remaining 20% (clearly I do not understand maths).

Top post commandero, see you in the uniVerse

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Goobs posted:

lol at those people complaining because the navy cutter is a dlc only ship. isnt literally every ship in star citizen right now dlc only?

I don't think any ship in Elite is DLC, and it's just a weird accusation coming from Citizens. I think they've been paying-to-win for so long they can't really relate to in-game progress that isn't tied to eye-popping dollar figures.

The one expansion Frontier sold has added a couple year's worth of features: planetary landing, multi-crew, ship launched fighters, crafted modifications for ship components, neutron stars, passenger missions, and avatar customization. The only other stuff they sell is all cosmetic ship skins and dashboard bobbleheads. It's not my favorite funding model, and I'll be the first to say that Frontier leaves a lot to be desired in the systems that they kick out the door, but the key difference here is that they actually ship a product and and it does what they say it does, when you buy it.

Oh also the whole game is designed for VR and has basically been the best title to play in VR for a year or more running, which is another major selling point for me.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I suppose fighters are technically DLC ships, if you squint.

Why did they latch onto the cutter though? That definitely isn't locked behind DLC, just a massive pain in the arse grind.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

spacetoaster posted:

Hey dudes, I've been cleaning up our drama encyclopedia and some of the links are now dead. Specifically Chris Roberts reply/rant about the escapist article. (they erased it? lol)

Do any of you have a screenshot? It really needs to stay in there because, sheesh, what a meltdown. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773270&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

There is a link to an archive copy in this blog.

Sarsapariller posted:

:perfect:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Sarsapariller posted:

You know, sometimes I really regret that there's no post voting around here.

Goobs posted:

Huh. What DLC did I accidentally buy without knowing it to get access to it?

Tippis fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 19, 2017

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Really makes me long for player-built and owned stations. Some day.

Also, I keep meaning to mention whenever you post a video, but it warms my heart that the Major Tom videos get significantly more views than the INN or Relay shows.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Sarsapariller posted:

Also, I keep meaning to mention whenever you post a video, but it warms my heart that the Major Tom videos get significantly more views than the INN or Relay shows.

It's been so long I forgot about that, and it is one of my favourite things too

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Sarsapariller posted:

Oh also the whole game is designed for VR and has basically been the best title to play in VR for a year or more running, which is another major selling point for me.

I've had VR since the DK1 backer days and I can say hand on heart the two best full games in VR are Elite and iRacing, and they have been since the DK2

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

D_Smart posted:

There is a link to an archive copy in this blog.

Thankyou.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

tooterfish posted:

I suppose fighters are technically DLC ships, if you squint.

Why did they latch onto the cutter though? That definitely isn't locked behind DLC, just a massive pain in the arse grind.

They're referring to the "fully engineered" bit, which is requires Horizons costing a massive, mortgage-busting $30 (or $20 on sale).

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

peter gabriel posted:

It's been so long I forgot about that, and it is one of my favourite things too

You should add a shoutout to INN/Relay in your YT comments, cos you're a gentleman cat. It's only the right thing to do, as they need the views after all :sadwave:

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Sarsapariller posted:

I don't think any ship in Elite is DLC, and it's just a weird accusation coming from Citizens. I think they've been paying-to-win for so long they can't really relate to in-game progress that isn't tied to eye-popping dollar figures.

The one expansion Frontier sold has added a couple year's worth of features: planetary landing, multi-crew, ship launched fighters, crafted modifications for ship components, neutron stars, passenger missions, and avatar customization. The only other stuff they sell is all cosmetic ship skins and dashboard bobbleheads. It's not my favorite funding model, and I'll be the first to say that Frontier leaves a lot to be desired in the systems that they kick out the door, but the key difference here is that they actually ship a product and and it does what they say it does, when you buy it.

quote:

It's good in VR but still fundamentally flawed in myriad ways.
Seriously SC is obviously a travesty in many many ways but using an extremely borked game (with admittedly great fundamentals) to try and show how bad the badbad game is seems off.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Quavers posted:

You should add a shoutout to INN/Relay in your YT comments, cos you're a gentleman cat. It's only the right thing to do, as they need the views after all :sadwave:

I usually do if a video is going well, but this one is just a bit of Elite really, it won't get shared around so much I don't think

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

I usually do if a video is going well, but this one is just a bit of Elite really, it won't get shared around so much I don't think

Take one for the team. You need to do a 2.6.3.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Colostomy Bag posted:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Colostomy Bag posted:

Poor dancey cat. I wonder if he knew he was going to be condemned to suffering eternally so that we might laugh.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beet Wagon posted:

Poor dancey cat. I wonder if he knew he was going to be condemned to suffering eternally so that we might laugh.

I can handle it, as the Derek fetish redit is doing their duty archiving things I must do mine to also archive things

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

It's his cross t-pose to bear.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

El Grillo posted:

It's good in VR but still fundamentally flawed in myriad ways.
Seriously SC is obviously a travesty in many many ways but using an extremely borked game (with admittedly great fundamentals) to try and show how bad the badbad game is seems off.

On the contrary, contrasting with a flawed game is great simply because it exists vs it doesn't. You cannot contrast anything directly to star citizen, because nothing like star citizen will actually exist in the foreseeable future. Specially not star citizen

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Also I don't really care either way, funny is funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Quavers posted:

They're referring to the "fully engineered" bit, which is requires Horizons costing a massive, mortgage-busting $30 (or $20 on sale).

You do forget that an Elite Dangerous completionist package sans skins costs $60. That's literally outrageous in this day and age, etc, etc.