Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
I still have a bunch of pre screening and such to do, there's a portion of the study where I attach a sleep monitor to my body at home for like 4 weeks. The only thing that might dissuade me from participating is a job I potentially have lined up through a staffing agency, but it's only 11/hr and I can't apply for permanent hire until after the 90 day period. The equivalent of 4 months of income is looking pretty enticing right now though for doing the study.

I guess I can bring my Gameboy advance and that's about it for electronics. I'll buy a bunch of graphic novels, do a bunch of push ups and maybe pluck every singly hair out of my body?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

ServoMST3K posted:

The only thing that might dissuade me from participating is a job I potentially have lined up through a staffing agency, but it's only 11/hr and I can't apply for permanent hire until after the 90 day period.

I have bad news for you, $6k for 24 hours a day at 27 days is $9.25 an hour.

But have at it, go nuts. (Try to avoid literally going nuts)

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
No sleep and no beer make Homer something something.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

This is sounding like more and more of an iffy proposition as I discuss it further. Is it weird that it's becoming more appealing to me the further down the rabbit hole this discussion goes?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

The place I used to work at had career research participants. They move from city to city doing these long term tests in phase I clinics. They all have track marks not from drug use, but from constantly getting blood taken. We had one that was 60 days in a research unit, but it paid $10k.

One person ended up writing a 14 page manifesto about how they didn't like everything about the experience.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

I don't think I would ever degenerate into that as a career. I'm just in a weird spot right now where I live with my Mom and my sister's two children and the whole situation is driving me nuts. I haven't worked in three years due in large part to mental health issues and now I'm feeling motivated and good about myself and it seems nearly impossible for me to move out on my own. My credit is terrible, my student loans are in default, I declared bankruptcy a few years back, and finding a job where I can even afford a room in someone else's house seems impossible.

I spend a lot of my time at my aunt and uncle's house just so I don't have to be at home. I actually went to the psych ward for a few days not because my mental health was really deteriorating but just so I wouldn't have to be at home. These are a few of the reasons that doing the sleep study appeals to me right now.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I made my yearly donations to charity which always is nice. Now I have to wait for work to update their match system so I can double my impact.

Also I ate out today so that is always not great...

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

ServoMST3K posted:

I don't think I would ever degenerate into that as a career. I'm just in a weird spot right now where I live with my Mom and my sister's two children and the whole situation is driving me nuts. I haven't worked in three years due in large part to mental health issues and now I'm feeling motivated and good about myself and it seems nearly impossible for me to move out on my own. My credit is terrible, my student loans are in default, I declared bankruptcy a few years back, and finding a job where I can even afford a room in someone else's house seems impossible.

I spend a lot of my time at my aunt and uncle's house just so I don't have to be at home. I actually went to the psych ward for a few days not because my mental health was really deteriorating but just so I wouldn't have to be at home. These are a few of the reasons that doing the sleep study appeals to me right now.

If you want to do it just do it. They're not gonna let you die.

I think it would be more helpful to use the month to improve your long term situation rather than run away from it but whatever.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

I have been trying to improve my situation. I've been looking at jobs all day for a few weeks, I've had an interview already, I've fixed up my resume, I've been looking at apartments online, I've been in touch with a service in MA that helps people with issues or disabilities get back into the workplace. I don't know what else I can be doing. It's a wonder I don't feel super depressed and don't want to get out of bed every day. I'm feeling more motivated and better about myself than I have in a long time. I've even been browsing dating sites which is a rarity these days.

Whatever things are bringing me and some of my family grief are not easy things to remedy, we've been dealing with them for years at this point. Now that I want to get away from it all it seems like nothing but an uphill battle and it's bullshit honestly.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

ServoMST3K posted:

I have been trying to improve my situation. I've been looking at jobs all day for a few weeks, I've had an interview already, I've fixed up my resume, I've been looking at apartments online, I've been in touch with a service in MA that helps people with issues or disabilities get back into the workplace.

You don't think any of this will suffer if you're locked in a room for a month? I don't think it's a good idea with regards to your long term financial life. The other stuff is more the realm of E/N.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

Maybe you're right. I've just had nothing going on for so long that this seemed appealing. I guess being locked away for 27 days is pretty insane. I'll think about it for a few days.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

If you've been out of the workforce for multiple years due to mental health concerns do not lock yourself in a sunless box for a month.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

ego symphonic posted:

If you've been out of the workforce for multiple years due to mental health concerns do not lock yourself in a sunless box for a month.

Came here to say this. Also, I wonder if either generally stable battery life on the game boy or games which record your progress & playtime would end up disqualifying its use in the study.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Researchers know that putting a mentally ill person in a box and messing with their sleep is a terrible idea. That's one reason why there's all kinds of screening for these rather than just accepting anyone who signs up.

Experimental research always screens for mental health for ethical and practical reasons (it's unethical to put someone vulnerable to stress or mental deterioration into situations which might exacerbate that, and it also doesn't produce good results, unless it is specifically mental health research). Most research needs mentally healthy subjects because otherwise it's difficult to know if the results were due to whatever variables or due to underlying psychological problems.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

ServoMST3K posted:

If you have mental health issues, for goodness sake don't do this. You are likely to seriously impact your mental health. Solitary confinement is what drives slightly crazy prisoners *really crazy.*

Why is finding a job "impossible"? Perhaps if you make a thread about yourself you can get some decent career advice.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You guys have convinced me, I won't be doing the study. I have a potential job lined up pretty soon and things are going ok. I'm not sure why this seemed like such an appealing move in the first place.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Bad With Money: My wife and I spent $2,600 on picture frames this week.
Good With Money: Kickstarter covered most of it

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

ServoMST3K posted:

You guys have convinced me, I won't be doing the study. I have a potential job lined up pretty soon and things are going ok. I'm not sure why this seemed like such an appealing move in the first place.

You sound pretty bored. See if you can get out of the house.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

ServoMST3K posted:

It's a lot of money for what seems like a month of work. I'd be interested in your situation as well.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

I'm thinking of starting my own thread since I've been hogging this thread lately. Is it ok for me to start a thread in this forum?

Edit: @below post: thanks, it seemed like this forum is almost all megathreads so I wasn't sure.

ServoMST3K fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 31, 2017

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

You don't have to ask permission.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

No Butt Stuff posted:

You don't have to ask permission.

This is 100% true! New threads are always good and I'm glad you posted one, Servo.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
If you had a choice between a tax deferred lump sum of 20k today, or a yearly check of 3K for life starting in thirty years (ie, when you retire), which one would you pick?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

FrozenVent posted:

If you had a choice between a tax deferred lump sum of 20k today, or a yearly check of 3K for life starting in thirty years (ie, when you retire), which one would you pick?

That 20k today invested and left alone is going to be a lot of 3k years. At 7% annual return that yields like 150k in 30 years.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

I would go with the $20k personally, unless the $3k is inflation adjusted and would actually end up being like $5-$6k per month because it is $3k in 2017 dollars.

For the $3k to work out, you are essentially betting on low interest rates, low inflation, and bad stock market returns for the next 3 decades.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
The people who are going to get pounded hardest by the period of moderate inflation we're about to enter are people on a fixed income who've forgotten how badly inflation destroys the value of a dollar. A decade at 3% inflation and your fixed income security provides 2/3 its value as opposed to 80% of its value under 2% inflation. For the record, inflation over the last 10 years has been, like 1% so yeah we've forgotten what this is going to be like.

More "death to bonds" I guess.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Very much the case. The Fed is stopping bond purchases over the next year. So that injection of money and the low interest rates will be unsustainable as they slowly reduce their purchasing. They will likely do that instead of increasing the official interest rate. If inflation returns quickly they can increase interest rates and unload the bonds they're holding.

At this point the return to serious inflation looks slow and could span 10-20 years but there could be some dramatic changes along the way.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Today received the final word on my tuition reimbursement request. Employer has agreed to increase their share from 1/6 to 1/3, which is exciting. I have been saving the full sticker amount every month, so this will allow me to put some of that money back into other financial goals.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Today received the final word on my tuition reimbursement request. Employer has agreed to increase their share from 1/6 to 1/3, which is exciting. I have been saving the full sticker amount every month, so this will allow me to put some of that money back into other financial goals.

Congrats :peanut: How difficult/unusual was the request process?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

pig slut lisa posted:

Congrats :peanut: How difficult/unusual was the request process?

It took 4 months of pestering after my boss had agreed to it and forced them to draft, revise, approve and implement a department policy specifically for my request. So, fairly difficult, haha. Still, probably worth the $10 large I'll save by doing it!

The next day, I was given a promotion and a pay raise "of between 3 and 13% of total pay plus bonus"

:wtf:

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
In less than optimal news...god dammit, I was so close this month. SO CLOSE. But then a bunch of travel came up. Next month, then.

(this is my non-retirement-account net worth graph)

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 17, 2017

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

overdesigned posted:

In less than optimal news...god dammit, I was so close this month. SO CLOSE. But then a bunch of travel came up. Next month, then.

(this is my non-retirement-account net worth graph)

I always find a goal like that tends to hover around that for a few months because of expenses coming through. :argh:

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
*edit* deleted

EAB fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 19, 2017

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’m looking at an industry associate position that focuses on market research. A little confused at what the job actually entails.

But the job scope has me concerned:

- Conducting primary research with key players in the entire supply chain globally to support qualitative and quantitative research objectives,
- Accessing and analysing in-house and external published secondary research materials from all international industry sources,
- Conducting data trend analysis,
- Outside of the research calendar, generating both short and long term opinionated industry analysis on the various industries.

Also, it requires “a keen attitude towards trade interviewing.”

What the heck is trade interviewing? Am I just gonna be calling a ton of industry folks and asking them what their business plans are?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Alternatively, It could mean answering interviewers'/reporters' questions about the market or industry like you see on tech blogs, for example. I don't actually know which is right.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I closed my only credit card with an annual fee, bringing my credit limit from 54k to 26k...and my credit score dropped 11 points! Oh no!

(it's still over 800 who cares. GWM. If I need more than 26k worth of credit limit something's wrong anyhow)

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 19, 2017

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Nail Rat posted:

I closed my only credit card with an annual fee, bringing my credit limit from 54k to 26k...and my credit score dropped 11 points! Oh no!

(it's still over 800 who cares. GWM. If I need more than 26k worth of credit limit something's wrong anyhow)

Nice work. 11 points on your credit report and 18k of credit you aren't going to use aren't worth $195 a year (or whatever) anyway.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Why wouldn't you just downgrade it to a card without an annual fee?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

No Butt Stuff posted:

Why wouldn't you just downgrade it to a card without an annual fee?

Not every card allows you to do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Yeah it was a United card, there's not a downgraded version that doesn't include a fee.

On another note, I got an email from Ally today saying that the rate on online savings with them has gone up to 1.05% - figure this is as good a place as any to post that. I know .05% isn't much but it's something!