Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
in that case guess it sucks to be boon

thank you for your service boon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

DownByTheWooter posted:

dude you're an O-3

CFL is beneath you get a grown up collateral

personal request? shoulda told that nigga no, because he was punking you

Mr. Nice! posted:

I mean, if he's a primarily O shore command, like say a NROTC or something similar, he might be the junior guy on the totem pole and it's his job to deal with it.

Not every command has a bevy of senior enlisted that can just be tasked with CFL or other such poo poo.

Basically. It's a staff support command for Naval Forces Japan and has a shitload of khaki. The last cycle the NOSC found that the unit had made some changes internal that lead to an investigation and the removal of all PFA authority from the unit. In order to get it back, the NOSC demanded that an Officer (who they believe cannot be leveraged) oversee the program directly.

So essentially myself and an OSC (that I requested) will be the only individuals with access to PRIMS with an additional 3-5 ACFL's to help administer. The NOSC will run our PFA this cycle, I'll build the baseline off of it, and then we'll have autonomy in the fall cycle. My goal is to turn this over to the OSC in all but name by next year (maybe hold final approval on all scores).

Also, literally nothing is a grown up collateral in the reserves, because :lol: reserves.

DownByTheWooter posted:

in that case guess it sucks to be boon

thank you for your service boon

:(

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Boon posted:

Basically. It's a staff support command for Naval Forces Japan and has a shitload of khaki. The last cycle the NOSC found that the unit had made some changes internal that lead to an investigation and the removal of all PFA authority from the unit. In order to get it back, the NOSC demanded that an Officer (who they believe cannot be leveraged) oversee the program directly.

So essentially myself and an OSC (that I requested) will be the only individuals with access to PRIMS with an additional 3-5 ACFL's to help administer. The NOSC will run our PFA this cycle, I'll build the baseline off of it, and then we'll have autonomy in the fall cycle. My goal is to turn this over to the OSC in all but name by next year (maybe hold final approval on all scores).

Also, literally nothing is a grown up collateral in the reserves, because :lol: reserves.

:(

loving :lol:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Boon posted:

The only way this story gets better is if you end up on the hook for 1000 dollars worth of t-shirts.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Is there any type of VA clinic nearby? Like one closer than 40 miles away? If so, that's who you need to use for any PCM related issues. Any legitimate emergency, so long as you're properly enrolled in VA healthcare, should be covered at an ER. I've had to make an ER trip before. Gave them my VA information and had to call a regional office number for the VA to report it.

If you are further than 40 miles from ANY VA clinic or hospital, then you have full VA Choice eligibility and should get rocking on that. It's basically a local insurance program if there isn't a VA facility nearby.

Thanks. The nearest VA clinic is in town, but it's an outpatient clinic so not an emergency option, and probably makes me ineligible for VA Choice if it's here.
If I went in to an appointment at the (>hour away) VA hospital years ago to get the original disability percentage. Would that likely count as 'properly enrolled in VA healthcare', or is there a separate process? I don't have a card or anything.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

hogmartin posted:

Thanks. The nearest VA clinic is in town, but it's an outpatient clinic so not an emergency option, and probably makes me ineligible for VA Choice if it's here.
If I went in to an appointment at the (>hour away) VA hospital years ago to get the original disability percentage. Would that likely count as 'properly enrolled in VA healthcare', or is there a separate process? I don't have a card or anything.

Go to your local clinic and they will set you up including getting you a card. You can use them for 100% of your primary care. Emergency care will be at the local ER. They will have procedures in place for you to use a local ER. Just ask at the clinic. There are people there whose only job is to guide you through the process.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

vulturesrow posted:

The only way this story gets better is if you end up on the hook for 1000 dollars worth of t-shirts.

He's not the birthday officer yet so he's got a little ways to go.

I had to make custom birthday cards once a month for the commodore to send out. I had a tracker for all the waterfront COs, XOs, and their families. The deputy commodore on more than one occasion got pissed about this when he would walk into the front office to see a LTJG doing arts and crafts.

I don't know what was up, but I was the only officer there pending a medboard that they actually made come into work every day and do things. There were a couple of ensigns and another JG that rarely were even expected to muster. There was a LCDR also pending medboard that had less to do than me.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Nice! posted:

He's not the birthday officer yet so he's got a little ways to go.

I had to make custom birthday cards once a month for the commodore to send out. I had a tracker for all the waterfront COs, XOs, and their families. The deputy commodore on more than one occasion got pissed about this when he would walk into the front office to see a LTJG doing arts and crafts.

I don't know what was up, but I was the only officer there pending a medboard that they actually made come into work every day and do things. There were a couple of ensigns and another JG that rarely were even expected to muster. There was a LCDR also pending medboard that had less to do than me.

Yeah but you're competent so it all makes sense.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Go to your local clinic and they will set you up including getting you a card. You can use them for 100% of your primary care. Emergency care will be at the local ER. They will have procedures in place for you to use a local ER. Just ask at the clinic. There are people there whose only job is to guide you through the process.

Nah, most likely local clinic will have the application, if you don't get it online, and and have a courier that runs it to the VA. That's the extent of it. They won't do all the "official" stuff, getting an ID, etc. I think I had to fax mine (yes fax they don't accept email of course) because someone lost it along the way

I could be wrong, but branch clinics are generally just a regular ol' doctors office that may have a psychiatrist/psychologist and do very minimal VA stuff

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I've been handling all my VA poo poo with my driver's licence

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Nah, most likely local clinic will have the application, if you don't get it online, and and have a courier that runs it to the VA. That's the extent of it. They won't do all the "official" stuff, getting an ID, etc. I think I had to fax mine (yes fax they don't accept email of course) because someone lost it along the way

I could be wrong, but branch clinics are generally just a regular ol' doctors office that may have a psychiatrist/psychologist and do very minimal VA stuff

Your local places sucks loving balls. There are regional differences, I guess. The clinic down here has staff to help with everything. You can go get an ID same day at my clinic. They make them on site.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 13, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

Your local places sucks loving balls. There are regional differences, I guess. The clinic down here has staff to help with everything. You can go get an ID same day at my clinic. They make them on site.

Yeah this is where I used to live. I figured it was, like everything with the VA, a highly regional thing. It was literally just a tiny Doctor's office in a strip mall

Luckily I'm near a VA with an ER, but still use a branch clinic for most everything

Also I'm an idiot because the branch clinic I go to is practically a mini-VA. Also has the DAV offices, and other VA-esque office areas. I'm sure they could make an ID there.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I got my ID card at a VA outpatient clinic. The old man entered my info directly into their system, not an online thing.

EFB

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

No more e-cigs

http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=99913

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Lmao

Although maybe in general vaping culture is tapering off. I was on the Detroit this week and didn't see anyone vaping.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

There's going to be a riot. And then everyone who vaped on the ship is going to start dipping. Soon, greater than half the ship's solid waste will be dip spit bottles. A Sargasso Sea of dip spit will form in the central Gulf, and GCC Coast Guards will soon be called upon to rescue hapless dhows trapped in the center.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

god I can't loving stand open top dip bottles/cups/whatever lying everywhere and spilling and poo poo gently caress

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

god I can't loving stand open top dip bottles/cups/whatever lying everywhere and spilling and poo poo gently caress

I was stricter about dip bottles in spaces than anything else while I was an O. Any one I ever found I immediately trashed and I chewed the person out if I knew who left it. One of the most disgusting habits out there.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

:doh:

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Team America is 13 years old.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

ManMythLegend posted:

Are you going to have a car and how far are you willing to drive?

Will have car. 45min is doable I think.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Howard Phillips posted:

Will have car. 45min is doable I think.

Close to Mayport:
Singleton's: A hole in the wall seafood shack. Great fried seafood and a lunch time staple for the Mayport Mafia. It's out the back gate of the base behind the airfield.

North Beach Fish Camp: Southern inspired seafood. Make sure you try their fried green tomatoes.

M Shack: Amazing burgers and shakes. There are a few locations but the original is near Mayport on Atlantic BLVD. Some locations sell liquor infused milk shakes.

Beach Diner: Great diner for breakfast, especially if you're heading to the beach in the morning.

A little further:
Soul Food Bistro: Soul food, I don't think I need to say anything else. Don't go in the time after church services.

Beach Road Chicken Dinner: One of my favorite places. Specializes in fried chicken and serves southern sides, family style. Make sure you go with other people. It's a lot of food.

Into Jacksonville proper:
Lola's: Go here. Order the Leaping Lizard burrito. You're welcome.

Hawker's: Souped up Vietnamese street food. It's really good, but maybe a touch pricy.

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 15, 2017

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
The last day I was in mayport I ended up hitting lemons bar which is a pretty decent bar right on Atlantic or Neptune beach, think it's atlantic.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

ManMythLegend posted:

Close to Mayport:
Singleton's: A hole in the wall seafood shack. Great fried seafood and a lunch time staple for the Mayport Mafia. It's out the back gate of the base behind the airfield.

North Beach Fish Camp: Southern inspired seafood. Make sure you try their fried green tomatoes.

M Shack: Amazing burgers and shakes. There are a few locations but the original is near Mayport on Atlantic BLVD. Some locations sell liquor infused milk shakes.

Beach Diner: Great diner for breakfast, especially if you're heading to the beach in the morning.

A little further:
Soul Food Bistro: Soul food, I don't think I need to say anything else. Don't go in the time after church services.

Beach Road Chicken Dinner: One of my favorite places. Specializes in fried chicken and serves southern sides, family style. Make sure you go with other people. It's a lot of food.

Hawker's: Souped up Vietnamese street food. It's really good, but maybe a touch pricy.

Thanks!

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

ManMythLegend posted:

Close to Mayport:

A little further:

Dude thanks, we just moved here and actually live near Lolas, I haven't tried it yet. Good to know some good spots.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Thronde posted:

Dude thanks, we just moved here and actually live near Lolas, I haven't tried it yet. Good to know some good spots.

That's a nice area. There are a few nice bars near Lola's as well.

Figure out when the next free weekend at the Cummer Art Museum is and eat a burrito, visit the museum gardens, and stop by the Riverside art walk.

Also, make sure you check the schedule for Sun Ray Cinema. It's an independent theater in Five Points that sells food and beer for their shows. They generally run cool events around holidays.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

ManMythLegend posted:

That's a nice area. There are a few nice bars near Lola's as well.

Figure out when the next free weekend at the Cummer Art Museum is and eat a burrito, visit the museum gardens, and stop by the Riverside art walk.

Also, make sure you check the schedule for Sun Ray Cinema. It's an independent theater in Five Points that sells food and beer for their shows. They generally run cool events around holidays.

Yeah, we hit kickbacks every other weekend or so. St Patrick's day was insane there. We also made a point to have brunch every weekend at Cool Moose because that is legit good food. And 2 for 1 mimosas all weekend. It's worth the extra drive since I'm actually in Mayport, but all the neighborhoods around Mayport seem sketchy as gently caress.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
LingcodKilla, are you and the wife still in Hawaii? Did you do the Manoa Falls trail? You're blueballin' me here, buddy, waiting for a trip report.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

hogmartin posted:

LingcodKilla, are you and the wife still in Hawaii? Did you do the Manoa Falls trail? You're blueballin' me here, buddy, waiting for a trip report.

Sorry! We changed plans after walking all day on Saturday at the PCC. Ended up going on a snorkel cruise. We saw humpback, pilots, spinner dolphins and turtles.

Good times but now I'm back home.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Sorry! We changed plans after walking all day on Saturday at the PCC. Ended up going on a snorkel cruise. We saw humpback, pilots, spinner dolphins and turtles.

Good times but now I'm back home.

Aw, nice. Glad you guys had fun!

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I was looking around D&D where the current freak out is about 3 carrier strike groups heading to North Korea. The only source I can find is a South Korean news site. Three strike groups in one area is absolutely insane, the Vinson is still down in Indonesia, the Reagan and Nimitz are supposed to be heading that way. The Reagan is already forward deployed out of Japan, I'm assuming the Nimitz is just heading out to the gulf. There might be a time when all three are close due to transit I suppose?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

PneumonicBook posted:

I was looking around D&D where the current freak out is about 3 carrier strike groups heading to North Korea. The only source I can find is a South Korean news site. Three strike groups in one area is absolutely insane, the Vinson is still down in Indonesia, the Reagan and Nimitz are supposed to be heading that way. The Reagan is already forward deployed out of Japan, I'm assuming the Nimitz is just heading out to the gulf. There might be a time when all three are close due to transit I suppose?

I saw that too, the poster that posted it is doing that thing in D&D where you just reflexively post the first article you come across that you can sound alarm bells about without doing any real thinking or fact checking. The article is so poorly translated that it should have failed the sniff test immediately but instead it's become a little bit of accepted truth in that thread. Sometimes I'll push back, this time I did not. :(

http://www.defensenews.com/articles/us-carrier-still-thousands-of-miles-from-korea

Boon fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 18, 2017

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Boon posted:

I saw that too, the poster that posted it is doing that thing in D&D where you just reflexively post the first article you come across that you can sound alarm bells about without doing any real thinking or fact checking. The article is so poorly translated that it should have failed the sniff test immediately but instead it's become a little bit of accepted truth in that thread. Sometimes I'll push back, this time I did not. :(

http://www.defensenews.com/articles/us-carrier-still-thousands-of-miles-from-korea

I don't blame you, I saw when they jumped all over you regarding tomahawks.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
Do we have any legit JAG ITT?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

germskr posted:

Do we have any legit JAG ITT?

Actus Rhesus is a former JAG.

I'm an unlicensed attorney.

There used to be an Army JAG, but I'm not sure if he's still in.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Being back around Big Navy and junior Sailors is hilarious as nothing changes. Listening in line to them bitching about having no money after paying for new truck, house, and phone.

Sarkazm
Sep 26, 2008

Not your father's Sarkazmobile.
Hey ladies, you probably don't remember me, but I stalked these forums a few years ago as a disgruntled and very bored Chief. You shits even wrote me a NAM for my retirement that is still on my dresser at home. Anyway, I'm back.

So, here's the skinny. I'm retired, bearded up, keep my hands in pockets at all times and don't give two shits if you vape on ships. More importantly is this: The reason I'm here. I worked for almost two years after retirement as a Dept of Labor Employment Workshop Facilitator and now work at a Fleet and Family Service Center in the San Diego area where I help military peeps learn how to be people again. If you have questions about transition, job searches, LinkedIn, interviews, resumes, and just life in general after EAOS, ask and I'll answer to the best of my ability.

If you've ever been in one of my TGPS classes, I'd like to apologize right now because you're probably homeless.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Sarkazm posted:

Hey ladies, you probably don't remember me, but I stalked these forums a few years ago as a disgruntled and very bored Chief. You shits even wrote me a NAM for my retirement that is still on my dresser at home. Anyway, I'm back.

So, here's the skinny. I'm retired, bearded up, keep my hands in pockets at all times and don't give two shits if you vape on ships. More importantly is this: The reason I'm here. I worked for almost two years after retirement as a Dept of Labor Employment Workshop Facilitator and now work at a Fleet and Family Service Center in the San Diego area where I help military peeps learn how to be people again. If you have questions about transition, job searches, LinkedIn, interviews, resumes, and just life in general after EAOS, ask and I'll answer to the best of my ability.

If you've ever been in one of my TGPS classes, I'd like to apologize right now because you're probably homeless.

Hey bro. No beard, because welp. But I'm out too. Y'all need to get Rick from the outprocessing unit in WA to do your VA portion. The actual VA reps were poo poo, but he got me fixed up. Dude's legit.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

poopkitty posted:

Hey bro. No beard, because welp. But I'm out too. Y'all need to get Rick from the outprocessing unit in WA to do your VA portion. The actual VA reps were poo poo, but he got me fixed up. Dude's legit.

Seconding Rick as being the top dog as far as information. :hf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarkazm
Sep 26, 2008

Not your father's Sarkazmobile.

poopkitty posted:

What's up, Kitty?

Rick from FFSC? Or is he a VA guy? If he's FFSC I know him well. The guy we have here in SD (Carlton) is pretty legit. Knows his stuff and gives good presentation.

And don't sweat the beard. Get a 'hook over your ears' type. I receommend them to all my 'facial hair challenged' friends. Hell, at my retirement ceremony, everyone wore fake 'staches, including my kids, my gf, my mom, aunt and grandma.