Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/BlessedKR/status/854156198152720384

Holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

You think? I find Kotaro pretty annoying. It doesn't help that he doesn't fit with the series' own lore, we had an actual explanation of why Xiao can transform despite not being one of the Nine Ultimate Saviours, but Kotaro can because...he can. At least say "oh yeah we gave that Constellation Blaster the same technology that the Ryutsueder has".

I thought the end of Episode 9 was Xiao being formally accepted by the Draco Kyu Globe and gaining the ability to transform normally like the other nine without it being forced like it originally was. I have not seen 10 yet to judge, but I am guessing from the preview that something similar will happen to Kotaro and Big Bear.

I cannot wait to see 10 to see how Kotaro fights though, since the preview makes it seem like he just flails his scarf around.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Kyuranger is really oddly disproportionate with its characters, like I don't feel like I truly know anything about the blue ranger and I got hooked with big black wrestling robot, but he hasn't had wrestling poo poo onscreen besides flashback mentions. That said, the stories are really charming and nice, with a "cool factor" oozing in every minute.

Agreed. We know very little about any of the Kyurangers which would usually bother me but the show is just so much goddamn fun that I cannot fault it for not developing them enough yet. Dragon Ma-Star is fantastic and I hope we delve a bit into each of their backstories once we finish introducing rangers. Spada used to be my least favorite, and he still probably is, but I like him a lot more after his focus episode. Oui, chef!

This is the absolute best thing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
:3:

May that child never grow old and jaded like the rest of us are.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I assumed once you had the Bugster Virus you probably got an immunity to it, because otherwise the story arcs where they act like people are saved for good would be weird, but apparently according to the latest episode of Ex-Aid, Nico is going to be infected every time she transforms.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

I assumed once you had the Bugster Virus you probably got an immunity to it, because otherwise the story arcs where they act like people are saved for good would be weird, but apparently according to the latest episode of Ex-Aid, Nico is going to be infected every time she transforms.

And that's how she's gonna die!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Nico is going to become a bugster and rule them all.

Then she will defeat M.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

(I have actually never gotten around to starting Ex-Aid.)

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Waffleman_ posted:

(I have actually never gotten around to starting Ex-Aid.)

Do it, the costumes are still hideous, but the drama is very good. High-quality kid's toy commercial here.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Since Ex-Aid ditched the opening, it's become one of the best Riders, and I'm greatly enjoying it. Even when it stopped ditching it, the quality did not go down. If anything, it's fixed one of the problems I had with it (no female Riders at all) with the introduction of Ride Player Nico and Kamen Rider Poppy, both of which are strong and good and cool.

If their stats are to be trusted, Nico is in fact nearly as strong as a Level 10 Rider (a normal Ride Player is weaker than a Level 1) while Poppy is roughly a Level 50, apparently she's running on the full Level X, Zombie Genm-style.

Hiiro meanwhile is still stuck on Level 5 because I doubt Taiga is giving back the Gashat Gear Dual Beta any time soon. Which I'm fine with, because Taiga has become undeniably the best. And with Nico, they're the best. Just give him all the Gashats already, he's earned them. And let Nico take all the kills, since no one else can get the Gashatrophies anyways.

Anyways, have Taiko no Tatsujin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0lUMgOJm5Y

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Since Ex-Aid ditched the opening, it's become one of the best Riders, and I'm greatly enjoying it. Even when it stopped ditching it, the quality did not go down. If anything, it's fixed one of the problems I had with it (no female Riders at all) with the introduction of Ride Player Nico and Kamen Rider Poppy, both of which are strong and good and cool.

If their stats are to be trusted, Nico is in fact nearly as strong as a Level 10 Rider (a normal Ride Player is weaker than a Level 1) while Poppy is roughly a Level 50, apparently she's running on the full Level X, Zombie Genm-style.

Hiiro meanwhile is still stuck on Level 5 because I doubt Taiga is giving back the Gashat Gear Dual Beta any time soon. Which I'm fine with, because Taiga has become undeniably the best. And with Nico, they're the best. Just give him all the Gashats already, he's earned them. And let Nico take all the kills, since no one else can get the Gashatrophies anyways.

Anyways, have Taiko no Tatsujin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0lUMgOJm5Y

Agreed. I'm really hoping this series will be the one to buck the traditional issues and have some good female Riders. (Gaim had a very good actress, but some less than stellar writing.) I kinda love Ride Player Nico being her modding a mook suit in her own inimitable style and making it work through sheer talent, skill, audacity, and having to call her own finishers.

Ren Amagasaki (the new Genm CEO) is horrifying and creepy and aaagggghhhh. But then again, what do you expect from the embodiment of presumably Dan Kuroto writing a dating sim? (Dan Kuroto writing a dating sim in general is a genuinely terrifying concept.)

Favorite moment of the entire episode has to be Nico and Taiga having their deep personal interaction... while repeatedly shoving Emu away into the water. :P

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I've started Kamen Rider Kuuga as my first one (I know, I know, I did my research and almost started with W, but I was lured in by the early 2000s aesthetic first) and as I'm enjoying it, I'm also giving Ultraman and Sentai the considering eye. What's a good starting Ultraman show? Don't say Seven, I bounced off of that really hard and don't feel inclined to try the second episode. (The writing was terrible, sadly, as it made it look like everyone was a chump.)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i was not expecting ex-aid to be the one to buck the trend and put in some cool lady riders, what with how much of a sausage-fest it was at first. like okay, they are both probably going to lose their powers even if they don't die horribly because this is still a kr show, but the present situation is real good.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

StrixNebulosa posted:

I've started Kamen Rider Kuuga as my first one (I know, I know, I did my research and almost started with W, but I was lured in by the early 2000s aesthetic first) and as I'm enjoying it, I'm also giving Ultraman and Sentai the considering eye. What's a good starting Ultraman show? Don't say Seven, I bounced off of that really hard and don't feel inclined to try the second episode. (The writing was terrible, sadly, as it made it look like everyone was a chump.)
Sentai-wise, Shinkenger (Samurai-themed)'s got a sub by Over-Time, who are really good at this stuff. Zyuohger (animal-themed) just finished and is great, and I've heard good things about Kyuuranger (space-themed), the current series.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Sentai-wise, Shinkenger (Samurai-themed)'s got a sub by Over-Time, who are really good at this stuff. Zyuohger (animal-themed) just finished and is great, and I've heard good things about Kyuuranger (space-themed), the current series.

Perfect, thank you! As I'm really into Transformers I've got my eyes on Go-onger as well (talking cars!), so there's a good shortlist of Sentai shows to check out, see if any of 'em click with me.

As for my Kamen Rider-ing, Kuuga is really, really good and up my alley. I accidentally marathoned five eps of it today, which is rare - I tend to watch anime in 1-2 ep bursts, not a bunch like this! It's also quite nice that so far it's had an ongoing plot? I was expecting a monster of the week, but instead it's been very closely tied to a plot that's actually moving, and I really like that? Also helps that I'm coming to it from Exkaiser, which is very strictly formula, thank you.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i was not expecting ex-aid to be the one to buck the trend and put in some cool lady riders, what with how much of a sausage-fest it was at first. like okay, they are both probably going to lose their powers even if they don't die horribly because this is still a kr show, but the present situation is real good.

Well, they're in the opening in some degree of prominent placement, which is at least some degree of indicated permanent intentions, barring Joss Whedon's desire to screw with the audience.

gourdcaptain fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Apr 19, 2017

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
Start with Orb or Mebius for ultraman.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Actually, since you're responding so well to Kuuga, the better Ultraman series to start with is http://www.crunchyroll.com/ultraman-nexus

Ultraman Nexus. It's very early Heisei Rider, though does a lot of it better than most early Heisei Rider, and the story is heavily serialized. No episodic stuff. It's one of the more serious Ultraman series, but it's also very true to the heart of the franchise.

From there, look into what you think you might like. Mebius is also story driven to a degree, and is a big anniversary series, being the best of the three that came out around that time (Decade, Gokaiger, Mebius)

It's just a lot more light hearted, which isn't a bad thing. Orb is the newest Ultra series, and is a lot more like modern Rider and Sentai in tone. Nexus is easily better than it, though it has a very compromised ending.

From there you start running into the issue of every show being pretty episodic, with Max being the absolute worst at that. Leo might be good to check out if you want bug gently caress insane 1970s shows.

Also a note on UltraSeven, I'd still recommend one of the other later episodes. The first episode is easily the dumbest because it's the first episode, and you might respond better to some of the watermark episodes from that show. But if not oh well.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
I feel like nexusrequires some knowledge of the typical structure of an ultra show to really appreciate.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

John McClane posted:

I feel like nexusrequires some knowledge of the typical structure of an ultra show to really appreciate.

I think being a toku fan in general helps out with that. Nexus is very

Aggressive

In how it tackles that stuff.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Anyone on the fence about GoRider needs to hop off it and watch all of it, god drat that was such a good time. It has minor spoilers for Agito and big spoilers for Gaim and Blade, but if you've seen those or don't mind it's so worth watching. Luckily while I haven't seen Blade, a friend of mine had filled me in before watching it so I could appreciate what they do with it, which is so much better than crossover/cameos usually get. It's almost a shame how much better those three specials are together than Ultra Super Hero Wars was as a movie.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Burkion posted:

Actually, since you're responding so well to Kuuga, the better Ultraman series to start with is http://www.crunchyroll.com/ultraman-nexus

Ultraman Nexus. It's very early Heisei Rider, though does a lot of it better than most early Heisei Rider, and the story is heavily serialized. No episodic stuff. It's one of the more serious Ultraman series, but it's also very true to the heart of the franchise.

From there, look into what you think you might like. Mebius is also story driven to a degree, and is a big anniversary series, being the best of the three that came out around that time (Decade, Gokaiger, Mebius)

It's just a lot more light hearted, which isn't a bad thing. Orb is the newest Ultra series, and is a lot more like modern Rider and Sentai in tone. Nexus is easily better than it, though it has a very compromised ending.

From there you start running into the issue of every show being pretty episodic, with Max being the absolute worst at that. Leo might be good to check out if you want bug gently caress insane 1970s shows.

Also a note on UltraSeven, I'd still recommend one of the other later episodes. The first episode is easily the dumbest because it's the first episode, and you might respond better to some of the watermark episodes from that show. But if not oh well.

Nexus has a really, really appealing summary so I'll check it out soon! Watching the first ep of Zyuohger right now, enjoying its cheesiness as a contrast to Kuuga's dead serious "the police will shoot you on sight" plotline. No clue if I'll marathon it / finish any of these shows in less than a month or longer, but for now I'm enjoying Toku shopping, so to speak - looking for a good place to start, reading summaries, settling in to see what they give me.

Now - I'm not a stranger to anime monster of the week shows - I've seen all of Sailor Moon (twice!), I'm 34 eps into Brave Exkaiser, etc - so episodic shows are absolutely my bag if I love the characters enough. I'm hoping that at least one of these franchises will give me a good episodic thing to have around as comfort food, but no rush there!

Ultra Seven: I'm willing to try the second episode, but I'm not going to rush it. My tolerance for rubber suits isn't the highest, and it's hard to take any of these slightly seriously - and it gets harder when it's so dated. But I'll definitely keep going, see if it's me or the show.

John McClane posted:

I haven't seen any toku shows before this, unless the anime I mentioned counts. Hopefully it won't be a problem - and if it is, I'll jump to Orb, I think. We'll see!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You might end up really loving the Ultraman franchise- one thing most of the series do really well is episodic but with a great cast of characters. Mostly because the intent of the original show was that every episode was a giant monster movie or alien invasion story, but with a super hero to save the day.

Also, with UltraSeven, I actually don't know if I'd recommend the second episode. If you're going to enjoy any of UltraSeven, it'd be the later ones. But the show was made in 1967, and if you can't get into that, don't try and force it.

A short list of episodes you might want to try next, for you to pick from, since it doesn't matter if you go out of order

Episode 8, Episode 9, Episodes 14 and 15 (King Joe two parter), Episode 26, Episode 28, Episode 38 (Which if you want a pure super hero story, is one of the best in tokustasu with a brilliant way to finish off the bad guy), episodes 39 and 40 (the second two parter) or episode 42

Choose an episode from that list if you'd like a better idea of the strengths of UltraSeven, in my opinion. Each one is pretty different from the others and has something unique going for it. If the one you pick doesn't work, then no real harm done. I purposely avoided descriptions on all but one of them so that it is a more genuine blind choice, but I absolutely love all of them.

For sure though, give Nexus a shot. It's one of my favorite tokustasu in the history of the genre, held back only by what happened to it behind the scenes for the ending. Orb isn't bad, though I'd rank Mebius above it. Though Orb is also half the length of Mebius, which is a plus.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Anyone on the fence about GoRider needs to hop off it and watch all of it, god drat that was such a good time. It has minor spoilers for Agito and big spoilers for Gaim and Blade, but if you've seen those or don't mind it's so worth watching. Luckily while I haven't seen Blade, a friend of mine had filled me in before watching it so I could appreciate what they do with it, which is so much better than crossover/cameos usually get. It's almost a shame how much better those three specials are together than Ultra Super Hero Wars was as a movie.

I'm on the fence about GoRider because, as far as I know, it isn't subbed yet. That makes watching things far harder, you know? I like understanding what they say!

Also I don't get saying that Nexus needs you to know about Ultraman. It's the only Ultraman I watched and I enjoyed it. Too bad it never got the episode count it wanted, the ending is so rushed. Ignoring that particular flaw though, the series is really good and I recommend it, even if the official subs are...wonky.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

John McClane posted:

Start with Orb or Mebius for ultraman.

Ultraman X is also a pretty good choice (Also don't watch Ginga, look up a summary on Wikipedia or something and then watch Ginga S instead. For older shows I wouldn't really reccomend watching Taro or Cosmos either).

The original show is also pretty good, as is the Jonias anime (aka: The Ultraman) though nobody's subbed more than the first episode to my knowledge (Leo and 80 are also decent though both of them take a sharp nosedive in quality later on).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 19, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

Ultraman X is also a pretty good choice (Also don't watch Ginga, look up a summary on Wikipedia or something and then watch Ginga S instead).

X does have a kind of spoiler about the nature of Nexus though, for warning.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
Who cares about any of them, here comes Ultraman Zead, the ultraman with a gun!

https://twitter.com/_Erasu/status/854658434058391552

https://twitter.com/_Erasu/status/854659000683646976

And he's Belial's son for maximum shadow the hedgehog brooding potential!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh my God really

Belial had a son

That's fantastic he's going to DESPISE Zero and Seven

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
According to the family tree he may also be zero's son

https://twitter.com/volfoggs/status/854687864583475200

Also maybe a new zero form coming?

https://twitter.com/tokucookie/status/854624957581545473

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I swear to God

I was wondering how they were going to celebrate UltraSeven's 50th

This is a pretty strong way to do it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Looks like this could be interesting if they pull it off right, though honestly I'm kind of getting bored of how every Ultra series now is an anniversary season, it would be nice to get some kind of standalone story again for once (when was the last time we had that, Nexus?). By the way, did Orb Origin Saga ever end up getting subbed?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 19, 2017

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
I don't think it has; ultra sub groups aren't as common generally for a number of reasons

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

Looks like this could be interesting if they pull it off right, though honestly I'm kind of getting bored of how every Ultra series now is an anniversary season, it would be nice to get some kind of standalone story again for once (when was the last time we had that, Nexus?). By the way, did Orb Origin Saga ever end up getting subbed?

Well I mean

Ginga wasn't an anniversary series.

And from what I can tell, this will likely just be about this new guy and his relationship with Zero and Belial, so it shouldn't be too heavy on the anniversary stuff.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

Well I mean

Ginga wasn't an anniversary series.

And from what I can tell, this will likely just be about this new guy and his relationship with Zero and Belial, so it shouldn't be too heavy on the anniversary stuff.

I meant more as in it does it's own thing without referencing past shows much if at all (not that that's necessarily a bad thing mind you, Mebius, X and Orb are 3 of my top favorite shows after all, just that they could stand to take a break from that for once). It just kind of starts losing it's luster a bit when every show you do is basically Gokaiger.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 19, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

I meant more as in it does it's own thing without referencing past shows much if at all (not that that's necessarily a bad thing mind you, Mebius, X and Orb are 3 of my top favorite shows after all, just that they could stand to take a break from that for once).

That's just a thing with Ultraman.

Many of the shows are set in the same continuity- X explicitly isn't, but it still got visited thanks to Zero traveling dimensions.

So you're always going to have that kind of connection. It's kind of unique to Ultraman- Kamen Rider tends to only do that in its movies now adays, and forgoes any continuity otherwise. Like Sentai.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

That's just a thing with Ultraman.

Many of the shows are set in the same continuity- X explicitly isn't, but it still got visited thanks to Zero traveling dimensions.

So you're always going to have that kind of connection. It's kind of unique to Ultraman- Kamen Rider tends to only do that in its movies now adays, and forgoes any continuity otherwise. Like Sentai.

Yeah I realize that, but they have done completely self-contained shows before and it would be nice to see one like that again as a change of pace. That's all I'm saying.

Still looking forward to Zead though, do we know when this is going to be starting yet?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 19, 2017

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

StrixNebulosa posted:

As I'm really into Transformers I've got my eyes on Go-onger as well (talking cars!)

Go-onger is definitely less Transformers and more like Cars (if the blatant rip-off wasn't apparent enough). It's also a very goofy season, but enjoyable imo.

Larryb posted:

By the way, did Orb Origin Saga ever end up getting subbed?

Everyone just assumed Amazon would do a simulcast, but that didn't happen so :shrug:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I can see that.

This series was just never going to be the time for it. UltraSeven is even more popular than the original, and they've never missed one of his anniversaries. He basically got non stop OVA series through the 90s if you recall. His 50th anniversary is a pretty big deal for Tsuburaya. Especially given the history with it.

Frankly I'm kind of surprised he's not getting his own mini series or something, but having it pass through Zero this time makes sense.

It does make me feel bad about the original Ultraman though. The most he got last year was being part of One Of Orb's alternate forms.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

If they are going to keep referencing the past, why not show a bit more love to the Heisei era Ultras? Besides serving as half of Orb's transformations (and of course the stuff involving Zero and Belial) the only show that's really focused on those series' all that much is X.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 19, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

If they are going to keep referencing the past, why not show a bit more love to the Heisei era shows? Besides serving as half of Orb's transformations (and of course the stuff involving Zero and Belial) the only show that's really focused on those series' all that much is X.

Well the main thing is, all of the Heisei era shows take place in other universes.

That's generally why Dyna is the only one to get involved in the Showa era timeline stuff. He got shunted off to other universes at the end of his story.

I'm sure they're going to start working them in more soon though, the fact that Tiga made up Orb's primary form with the original nods to that. X got away with it because X is weird and takes place in some off shoot universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

Well the main thing is, all of the Heisei era shows take place in other universes.

That's generally why Dyna is the only one to get involved in the Showa era timeline stuff. He got shunted off to other universes at the end of his story.

I'm sure they're going to start working them in more soon though, the fact that Tiga made up Orb's primary form with the original nods to that. X got away with it because X is weird and takes place in some off shoot universe.

I'm sure they could find some excuse to get around that like dimensional travel or something (like maybe an Ultraman version of Kamen Rider Decade's setup, only done properly this time), it might also be nice to see a few past team members from previous Ultra shows again while they're at it.

Actually when you think about it, X was basically the Mebius-equivalent for the Heisei era shows in a sense (I just wish it had been allowed to go on a little longer than it did).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 19, 2017

• Locked thread