Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The real dissonance in games like UC isn't even about character, it's when you get done killing 200 heavily armed dudes and a helicopter, and then in a cutscene the villain and like 3 guys hold you at gunpoint and capture you. That's what I like about Horizon Zero Dawn, the cutscenes more or less reflect that, as the protagonist, Aloy can kill hundreds of people and giant robots like it ain't no thing.

Fantasy racism is getting mainstream addressed in that Will Smith, Max Landis movie. Expect to never hear the end of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Renoistic posted:

My biggest example of dissonance that kind of bothers me is Kat suddenly fighting humans in Gravity Rush 2. I have a hard time imagining her being OK with literally throwing hundreds of people to their deaths or crushing them with heavy objects. She gets upset if enemy soldiers are killed by monsters even!

Then again, in both games it's pretty much impossible to not accidentally murder civilians since they tend to get caught in your antigravitational field and get flung hundreds of feet into the air.

I suppose I could mentally imagine her doing a Batman and saving every person she flings into the distance...
Yeah, same as many other questionable design decisions in GR2 I have no idea why they introduced fighting humans, other than super-powered flying ones or whatever.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

I've been living in a disassociative haze ever since I saw the first koopa stomped by a perfectly fine and normal plumber.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
#goombalivesmatter

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
As much as I liked UC4, it was an absolute riot when the game's last act is kicked off by Drake holding Nadine at gunpoint and Rafe going "ha ha you don't have what it takes." In a scene where it is explicitly acknowledged that Drake mowed down dozens of guys that morning alone. They don't even have the cutscene/gameplay divide as an excuse anymore!

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
You didn't hear these complaints back in the Indiana Jones and The Emperors Tomb days.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Snak posted:

The real dissonance in games like UC isn't even about character, it's when you get done killing 200 heavily armed dudes and a helicopter, and then in a cutscene the villain and like 3 guys hold you at gunpoint and capture you.

Admittedly my memory of it is a bit hazy and it wasn't that memorable to begin with but the Vita Uncharted game has a similar dumb thing at the ending where you face off with the bad guy who I guess Drake has a history with and he's all conflicted about killing him, despite the fact that to get to that point you basically have to murder 200 of his minions. It was really poorly done

I mean, it was the Vita Uncharted game so I dunno what I expected.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Snak posted:

The real dissonance in games like UC isn't even about character, it's when you get done killing 200 heavily armed dudes and a helicopter, and then in a cutscene the villain and like 3 guys hold you at gunpoint and capture you. That's what I like about Horizon Zero Dawn, the cutscenes more or less reflect that, as the protagonist, Aloy can kill hundreds of people and giant robots like it ain't no thing.

Fantasy racism is getting mainstream addressed in that Will Smith, Max Landis movie. Expect to never hear the end of it.

What the hell? They're making a Not-Shadowrun and Will Smith is in it. What the gently caress.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Snak posted:

This annoyed the poo poo out of me in UC. Is it UC2 where late in the game some guy is forcing you to do poo poo and if you attack him he just like casually throws Drake to the ground? Bullshit!

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
Does Nier: A have a super similar color scheme or a haze effect or something to it, for some reason the last 2 times I've played it my eyes just feel like they are bugging out and don't want to focus correctly on the screen like it doesn't have enough depth or something? I'm having trouble identifying what my issue is with it not sure if maybe I was just really tired and my eyes were screwy or if other people experienced similar things. Feels like everything is like too light and not enough contrast almost? Something about the viewport just seems super cramped and I can't really put my finger on it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Scorps posted:

Does Nier: A have a super similar color scheme or a haze effect or something to it, for some reason the last 2 times I've played it my eyes just feel like they are bugging out and don't want to focus correctly on the screen like it doesn't have enough depth or something? I'm having trouble identifying what my issue is with it not sure if maybe I was just really tired and my eyes were screwy or if other people experienced similar things. Feels like everything is like too light and not enough contrast almost? Something about the viewport just seems super cramped and I can't really put my finger on it.

There's a bizarre lighting effect where the corners of the screen are shaded much darker, giving the screen a ellipsoid "eyeball" appearance. It drives me batty in the desert area especially.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Scorps posted:

Yeah I noticed that too. It didn't mess with my depth perception but it was hazy.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Vignetting :eng101:

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
OK thank god because I was seriously wondering if there was something wrong with my vision since it just felt so weird. I just completed the desert area and the amusement park yesterday and it seemed to be getting better so hopefully I don't have to deal with it too much since I am enjoying the game itself and would like to fully complete it.

One other minor quibble, is there a way to turn off the semi-transparent letterbox bars that show up during the in-game cutscenes? They are super annoying, looked in the settings but didn't see any way to turn it completely off so guessing there isn't but just in case I missed it

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Scorps posted:

One other minor quibble, is there a way to turn off the semi-transparent letterbox bars that show up during the in-game cutscenes? They are super annoying, looked in the settings but didn't see any way to turn it completely off so guessing there isn't but just in case I missed it

These are present in the original Nier too. I think it's just a bad aesthetic choice/provide contrast for subtitles.

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

Thinking of getting a KS8000. For the people who have had it for a bit, how are you liking it? No regrets?

incorporeal fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 19, 2017

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Just got Horizon for free via points.

You dicks had better not be wrong.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Fuzz posted:

Just got Horizon for free via points.

You dicks had better not be wrong.

Enjoy your free game! :)

Or don't. It was free.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Fix posted:

Or don't. It was free.

Nah, had to spend $100-$6000 to get enough points, definitely not free.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think Untill Dawn is going to be my favorite game right now. Im just at the start and un going to do a new story to see if something changes with the twins. Telltate really has no excuse for the trash they put on.

The wolf among us was cool.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not as much changes as you might think but more changes than your average TT game.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Oxxidation posted:

As much as I liked UC4, it was an absolute riot when the game's last act is kicked off by Drake holding Nadine at gunpoint and Rafe going "ha ha you don't have what it takes." In a scene where it is explicitly acknowledged that Drake mowed down dozens of guys that morning alone. They don't even have the cutscene/gameplay divide as an excuse anymore!

These types of events seem to me sort of knowingly hamstrung within the context of the way America perceives violence. It exists in movies as well, where there's a tacit acknowledgement that 'self-defense' style haphazard bullet spraying gunfights and covering-fire constitute less menace than execution style violence. In this sense Uncharted is no special case and shouldn't be singled out, since the language of violent perversion exists culture-wide. Many action movies and games try to tamp down on the viewers' latent suspicion, try to further suspend their disbelief by including a mexican standoff where two people, after unloading entire magazines earlier in the scene, stand face to face with guns pointed at each other in a dare to pull the trigger. This type of narrative cliche is a tool to personalize violence in the midst of general choreography. If you're going to acknowledge that UC games operate within a cinematic framework then I don't think it's a stretch to say that cinematic cliches are on the table as well. Many have commented over the years that Nathan Drake's regenerating health bar is more of a 'luck meter' anyways, since bullets will whizz by in a way that Drake will flinch at in response, and when the screen goes black-and-white-and-redallover it's indicating that his luck has run out. Throughout the game we are enmeshed in the contemporary definition of comic violence or 'family violence' (at least in American terms, but we're hosed up), the game is often taking a more lighthearted approach to violence during gameplay than it is during cutscenes. This is dissonant, and also very commonplace for American media, where the gun is seen as a channeling device for emotional conviction, be it haphazard or precise.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sakurazuka posted:

Not as much changes as you might think but more changes than your average TT game.

Until Dawn masks what decisions actually matter really well so that it feels tense throughout, rather than Telltale's brand of "that thing you explicitly chose not to happen happened anyway five minutes later."

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Until Dawn is also very explicit about announcing where something different might have happened and giving you tools to explore plot branches. Not all of them necessarily make sense causally but there's a sizable network of paths events can go down.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Man I really enjoyed Until Dawn, especially since I got it in a bargain bin at Fred Meyer for like ten bucks. Is there any word on a single other than that crappy VR light gun game or what have you? I'd love a sequel that tackles some different horror themes/tropes, like maybe a sci-fi horror game or something set in the 1800s.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Last I read Supermassive was "talking about it" but that's all.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The VR light gun game is actually pretty awesome

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I dug Until Dawn but those totem collectibles seemed kind of a worthless feature

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I dug Until Dawn but those totem collectibles seemed kind of a worthless feature

I think they're really cool 😎

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

They're just there to taunt you for killing off a character in the exact way they warned you about two hours earlier.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I enjoyed them because they gave a slight bit of context for why you were walking around. Compare walking down corridors in that game to any Telltale game where there is zero reason why you're walking other than to pad the length and give the cutscenes some time to breathe. You have a reason to explore a bit in Until Dawn because you want the foreshadowing to make the right decisions.

I would still rather not walk slowly down corridors, but such is life.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

incorporeal posted:

Thinking if getting a KS8000. For the people who have had it for a bit, how are you liking it? No regrets?

None here except it doesnt play nice with nintendo switch, which keeps stealing screen focus

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

None here except it doesnt play nice with nintendo switch, which keeps stealing screen focus

That's not bad since if I get a switch it probably won't be hooked up to that tv anyways. What size did you get?

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

DrNutt posted:

Is there any word on a single other than that crappy VR light gun game or what have you?

I will not accept anyone slandering house of the dead 5 like this.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

incorporeal posted:

Thinking of getting a KS8000. For the people who have had it for a bit, how are you liking it? No regrets?

I've had it since Feb and it is awesome. My only issue is that some of the smart apps don't always launch the way they should (Hulu in particular). Otherwise the TV is baller af.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Farpoint seems cool, although I'm still nostalgic for the original when it was just The Dig.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

They were good because they fulfilled the classic horror movie thing of giving the characters (or in this case you) information that they think will help them but just make things worse.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

incorporeal posted:

That's not bad since if I get a switch it probably won't be hooked up to that tv anyways. What size did you get?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Farpoint seems cool, although I'm still nostalgic for the original when it was just The Dig.

I just wish they had announced that current titles and future titles will support that gun controller with some sort of confidence, because if I buy it and I'm stuck with a one game peripheral light gun in tyool 2017 I'm going to be pissed.

I'm also annoyed they didn't just make a new move controller with an analog stick, which would have been inherently superior to an assault rifle made out of a pool noodle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I think that if you're tormented by the characters being different in cutscenes and gameplay you should just abandon gaming.