Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
What do you need to do to get Ox's arm to show up?

I've gone down to level 5 a few times, seen the whole map, nothing there.

I've talked to him and he'll say that he lost his arm in the walls below, but that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

CzarChasm posted:

What do you need to do to get Ox's arm to show up?

I've gone down to level 5 a few times, seen the whole map, nothing there.

I've talked to him and he'll say that he lost his arm in the walls below, but that's it.

Talk to the blacksmith about it, she'll drop the arm

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
I finally got a run where I got Ser Junkan to max rank, and I died two rooms later because I am bad :(

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
Thanks to this LP (and Gunther) I was finally able to beat the lich.

I'm so happy.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Dr.Smasher posted:

That sounds a lot like the Swordsplosion in Borderlands 2. It's a shotgun that shoots swords, which explode into smaller swords, that explode. :torgue:

Seriously Torgue was awesome in BL2. Not so much with his limited role in BL:PS. The writing team on PS could jump in a pit of lava for all I care.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

They did. They’re Australian.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I deleted my commentary before I saved it. Again.

Again.

:negative: It's been a long week and probably will continue to be for a few months. Next update...eventually!

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Know that feeling so much. I've done that 3 times when doing MN9. Thought I saved but it was import and not export.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

dscruffy1 posted:

Next update...eventually!

If you want another guest, I'd be happy to jump in.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

They did. They’re Australian.

It's not a pit we're just upside down.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
You need to start naming your files like DON'T-DELETE-THIS-MAN-COME-ON.mp3 or something.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Either that or start paying a bit more attention to the 'unsaved-changes-do-you-want-to-save' queries.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Is there an unlock for a cursed run?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Samovar posted:

Is there an unlock for a cursed run?

Not specifically, but there's an unlock for killing a cursed boss which doesn't happen unless you have a lot. I don't think Scruffy has done it yet but I might be forgetting. Also an achievement for getting max curse, at which point something special happens.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
This is why i don't delete commentary or any parts of work until a few days after i post an update. Never know what I might gently caress up.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Jade Star posted:

This is why i don't delete commentary or any parts of work until a few days after i post an update. Never know what I might gently caress up.

I can't imagine anything ever going wrong in a Jade Star LP.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Geocities Homepage King posted:

Definiterly not any ONE thing, at least.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
You mean you guys don't 3-2-1 backup your LP stuff?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Geocities Homepage King posted:

Can something go wrong if nothing has ever gone right :v:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I know this thread hasn't seen activity in a while, but today I learned a terrifying truth.

:psyduck:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I may be wrong but everything in unity is 3d.
2d layering is handled by having the flat 3d objects being physically over each other.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Apr 16, 2017

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Now, can the game be played in this quasi-isometric form?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Samovar posted:

Now, can the game be played in this quasi-isometric form?

I want Gungeon-Quake

Sessile
Feb 27, 2008

The Goongeon's terrible secret of space has been revealed.
I regret nothing

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I hope scruffy is doing alright.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Didn't all "2-D" platformers on the PSX work in a similar way due to the PSX having lovely 2-D capabilities? I remember that being the explanation for the Saturn port of Symphony of the Night sucking.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Double Punctuation posted:

Didn't all "2-D" platformers on the PSX work in a similar way due to the PSX having lovely 2-D capabilities? I remember that being the explanation for the Saturn port of Symphony of the Night sucking.

The relative lack of 2D games on PS1 is almost entirely because Sony was like "NO 2D, ONLY 3D NOW", actually.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Aerdan posted:

The relative lack of 2D games on PS1 is almost entirely because Sony was like "NO 2D, ONLY 3D NOW", actually.

No, I mean the ones that were actual 2D platformers, like SotN.

Actually, was SotN the only one? The only other ones I can think of were 2.5D stuff like Klonoa or ports like FFVI.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I thought the PSX had issues with storing complicated sprites in memory, at least that's what I recall from my gaming magazines back in the day.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

It was only then that I had a sudden, horrific clarity on Old Man Rubel's ravings. Dimensions beyond rational bullet thought - not only the mundane height and width, but bizarre depth. This monstrous knowledge immediately took toll on my mind as even the very walls of the Gungeon around me took an altogether sinister shape, towering above me, peering down evilly from their new positions...

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

WarpedLichen posted:

I thought the PSX had issues with storing complicated sprites in memory, at least that's what I recall from my gaming magazines back in the day.

More to do with limited texture memory more likely. There is very little difference between a sprite and a texture. (Specifically, there is none. A sprite is a texture with an alpha component that's displayed directly at the camera.)

PSX games use sprites all the freaking time. For example, Wampa fruit in Crash are all sprites. Shiny particles are basically sprites. Basically, any time you see something that's just a floating bitmap that is always oriented towards the camera - that's a sprite. (In fact, it's drawn using a primitive that the PSX GPU calls a "sprite.")

However, the way it stores its texture memory means that there was a fairly strict limit on the number of unique sprites that could be stored, which would likely be what was meant by "complicated sprites."

Pretty much all modern sprite games use 3D graphics APIs. Hell, there's a very good chance that whatever you're reading this post on is using 3D graphics to render the browser page. If you're using a desktop OS (Windows, macOS, Linux - all of them) your entire desktop is basically rendered as textured quads. If you're using a smart phone, it's probably doing the same thing. There's a reason why Mobile Safari can easily make the tabs look like little cards - they're already just textures and it's already rendering using the 3D graphics hardware. Shadow and blur effects on your desktop are also done using the GPU. (Firefox used to have a feature where you could "tilt" a web page in 3D to see how various HTML elements were stacked.)

I can't really talk to specific issues that the Symphony of the Night port had. The PSX did have dedicated 2D support of a sort, in the form of the previously mentioned sprites. But it was primarily intended to be used to draw 3D scenes.

However... a 2D scene is just a 3D scene viewed head-on. Which means that, for the most part, a 3D-oriented GPU is perfectly capable of rendering 2D games. And your entire desktop, and your phone. Pretty much all 2D graphics you see today turn out to be implemented using 3D graphics.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

LashLightning posted:

It was only then that I had a sudden, horrific clarity on Old Man Rubel's ravings. Dimensions beyond rational bullet thought - not only the mundane height and width, but bizarre depth. This monstrous knowledge immediately took toll on my mind as even the very walls of the Gungeon around me took an altogether sinister shape, towering above me, peering down evilly from their new positions...

Look, Mr. June, I know the Darkest Dungeon LP just finished, but you can't just jump into any game unnanounced.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

LashLightning posted:

I still wait for a game that does 3d bullet hells well, kinda like those 3d touhou videos that people make.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Samovar posted:

Look, Mr. June, I know the Darkest Dungeon LP just finished, but you can't just jump into any game unnanounced.

Dammit, you beat me to the punch!

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Xenoveritas posted:

More to do with limited texture memory more likely. There is very little difference between a sprite and a texture. (Specifically, there is none. A sprite is a texture with an alpha component that's displayed directly at the camera.)

PSX games use sprites all the freaking time. For example, Wampa fruit in Crash are all sprites. Shiny particles are basically sprites. Basically, any time you see something that's just a floating bitmap that is always oriented towards the camera - that's a sprite. (In fact, it's drawn using a primitive that the PSX GPU calls a "sprite.")

However, the way it stores its texture memory means that there was a fairly strict limit on the number of unique sprites that could be stored, which would likely be what was meant by "complicated sprites."

Pretty much all modern sprite games use 3D graphics APIs. Hell, there's a very good chance that whatever you're reading this post on is using 3D graphics to render the browser page. If you're using a desktop OS (Windows, macOS, Linux - all of them) your entire desktop is basically rendered as textured quads. If you're using a smart phone, it's probably doing the same thing. There's a reason why Mobile Safari can easily make the tabs look like little cards - they're already just textures and it's already rendering using the 3D graphics hardware. Shadow and blur effects on your desktop are also done using the GPU. (Firefox used to have a feature where you could "tilt" a web page in 3D to see how various HTML elements were stacked.)

I can't really talk to specific issues that the Symphony of the Night port had. The PSX did have dedicated 2D support of a sort, in the form of the previously mentioned sprites. But it was primarily intended to be used to draw 3D scenes.

However... a 2D scene is just a 3D scene viewed head-on. Which means that, for the most part, a 3D-oriented GPU is perfectly capable of rendering 2D games. And your entire desktop, and your phone. Pretty much all 2D graphics you see today turn out to be implemented using 3D graphics.

:psypop:

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
So in regards to the Saturn... That system was ORIGINALLY designed to be a sprite based 2d powerhouse and it technically is. It runs 2d games arguably better than the Ps1 did. The issue with SotN is that it used 3d models that the Saturn really sucked at! Sort of last minute Sega decided that 3d was the wave of the future and threw in 2 more CPUs to make the thing run 3d... Which it did at the horror of anyone trying to program for the loving thing. The Saturn to this day is one of the more difficult platforms to program and emulate properly. There's reasons why 2D games are better on the Saturn than the Ps1... Especially fighting games. But I will say I'm not technical enough to throw out numbers or anything like that.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Well that was a hell of a month. One lost episode later...

Rusty/Polsy

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I would like the robot more if hearts gave armor (only 1 armor for half/full heart) or they removed them from the drop table entirely. Make it a gimmicky curse-ish run rather than this no-hit extreme RNG.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Robot is a rough goddamn ride but I sure do enjoy peeing on command like a real boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Yeah, that's usually what happens when I get the scarf.

• Locked thread